Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I want to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Eh, I'll believe it when the housing bubble bursts. :kheldragar:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
2 year boc yields are at the lowest of all time. Mortgage rate cut coming up lol

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Now would also be a great time to :airquote: buy :airquote: a luxury car with an 84 month lease

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-24/deutsche-bank-says-rout-very-serious-as-growth-outlook-dims

quote:

Deutsche Bank Says Rout ‘Very Serious’ as Growth Outlook Dims

The meltdown in global markets is “very serious” as it will weaken prospects for growth worldwide, said Henning Gebhardt, global head of equities at Deutsche Bank AG’s asset and wealth management unit.

“We are expecting some adjustments for the global economic outlook -- especially triggered by weaker growth in emerging markets,” Gebhardt said in an e-mailed response to questions on Monday in Frankfurt. “The low oil price and the changed economic outlook will create another round of global earnings cuts.”

Global stocks have lost $5 trillion since China unexpectedly devalued the yuan on Aug. 11, with investors spooked by signs of further weakening in the world’s second-largest economy. The rout is raising doubt about the ability of the global economy to withstand a eventual liftoff in U.S. interest rates this year.

Developing economies bore the brunt of the sell-off, with the MSCI Emerging Markets Index sliding 4.4 percent at 10:42 a.m in Frankfurt, headed for the biggest one-day drop since September 2011.

Brent crude tumbled through $45 a barrel and oil in New York traded below $40. Oil at that price will have a negative effect on some emerging economies, according to Gebhardt, who helps manage the 1.14 trillion euros ($1.31 trillion) Deutsche Bank invests for clients.

Still, stocks remain attractive as valuations have fallen, he said. “We cannot exclude that the selling pressure will last for a while, but would add to positions, especially in dividend stocks.”

loving lol if you think your new NDP government is going to figure out a way out of this.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Omfg, opening bell is suspended

:gizz:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://twitter.com/Tripp_Law/status/635809500050628608

MT @CBCAlerts: #Dow plunge accelerates after opening bell, down more than 1,000 points. #TSX down more than 750.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

jm20 posted:

https://twitter.com/Tripp_Law/status/635809500050628608

MT @CBCAlerts: #Dow plunge accelerates after opening bell, down more than 1,000 points. #TSX down more than 750.

The TSX is just dropping like a stone. It's already at -5% and dropping.

Edit: Holy gently caress in the time it took to post that it's already gone to -5.5%.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I'm curious if the market correction will lead to margin calls or sufficient unease to spook the housing bubble.

Actually it will probably make it worse with real estate is the only safe investment.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Yup, people are panicking. This will be a historic day.

Also, holy gently caress, 5 trillion lost globally since August 11th?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Okay the TSX is leveling off and regained some ground. We are only at -4.5% now...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha holy loving poo poo is the panic real, this is much worse than last year. Don't even remember a recent time where the S&P500 has moved this fast in any direction.

EDIT: World Index down by over 5%, fully expecting at least one suicide before the NYSE closes.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 24, 2015

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I wonder how low the dollar will fall? Down to 73 cents by Friday?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

jet sanchEz posted:

I wonder how low the dollar will fall? Down to 73 cents by Friday?

Actually the dollar is skyrocketing up. It's just gained a full cent in the last hour. :psyduck:

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Shadoer posted:

Actually the dollar is skyrocketing up. It's just gained a full cent in the last hour. :psyduck:

That is not going to help my already-flaming international holdings.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

https://twitter.com/LBobak/status/635816037628407808
Don't despair. Think about your retirement. It's a great day to buy Canadian blue chips for your RRSP. #TSX #StockMarket

quote:

https://twitter.com/TommieWho/status/635821348766527489
Now would be a good time to convert your cash to Canadian Tire Money. #BlackMonday

quote:

https://twitter.com/RazorForex/status/635821138828914688
BUY THE F****** DIP
#blackmonday #stockmarket #FED #yellen

I trade most of the standard FX crosses and various digital currency instruments such as Bitcoin/Litecoin.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
"hmm, better login to Waterhouse and see what all the hullabaloo is about..."

Five minutes later:

"hmm, good thing that TFSA only had 5k invested in it since half of it just fuckin' vanished." :stare:

Lawl at China, I hope this is the opening salvo of a 2008 repeat on speed.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Rime posted:

Five minutes later:

"hmm, good thing that TFSA only had 5k invested in it since half of it just fuckin' vanished." :stare:

Same. I just started on the tfsa thing and I think there is (or was) only 2 grand in it. /shrug

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rime posted:

Five minutes later:

Lets hope not, Europe would loving burn.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Xoidanor posted:

Good. Maybe this time they'll remember why they invented the guillotine.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

I don't think it's a repeat of 2008, but while the American markets have rallied a bit... the European markets are still really bad. Like Greece's stock index is still at a loss of 6% bad.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Stop encouraging a European stock disaster, they are a great growth vehicle :qq:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The stock markets are too risky. Invest in stable real estate.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mortgage rates are going to get interesting next month at this pace. :v:

S&P has climbed back half of the opening dip already. I honestly have no idea where this is going anymore.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

S&P has climbed back half of the opening dip already. I honestly have no idea where this is going anymore.

It all depends on WTF the actual numbers on China's GDP growth actually are, if they are in recession, and what their real unemployment figures are.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Xoidanor posted:

Good news, then! Neither does anyone else. I'm guessing there's a bunch of people that have already poo poo their pants in the first few minutes of trading when the DJIA was down over 1000 points and sold a whole bunch of stuff at a loss, and I'm guessing there are a lot of people that will end the day in a much better position than they started due to taking advantage of panic selling. But who really knows?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
This is why financial speculation is absolutely loving idiotic and dangerous and should be abolished. All that money, lost, vanished, but to loving where? It was all illusions and smoke and lies if that much value can just straight up and disappear without actually going anywhere. What loving real value has it brought to the world other than shifting data around and playing this insane shell game of number manipulation?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Brannock posted:

This is why financial speculation is absolutely loving idiotic and dangerous and should be abolished. All that money, lost, vanished, but to loving where? It was all illusions and smoke and lies if that much value can just straight up and disappear without actually going anywhere. What loving real value has it brought to the world other than shifting data around and playing this insane shell game of number manipulation?

I agree. Let's switch to
code:
credits
. It's time to fully commit to our dystopian cyberpunk future.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6e2B3zH87M

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Days like today are the reason you keep some cash in your trading account.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Yo, if you think this is all over, I think you're mistaken.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Behold, the horrors of renters!!!

http://www.torontolife.com/informer/features/2015/08/20/jesse-gubb-the-tenant-from-hell/

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Combined my wife and I have lost more this month on paper than I make from my day job but idgaf i want to watch the world burn, hail satan :unsmigghh:

At least I know I'm okay with my current risk exposure!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Check out the comments for a wonderful bit of schadenfreude

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm not even going to check on my investments, investments are long term deals I only care how they'll look in 20-30 years from now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not even going to check on my investments, investments are long term deals I only care how they'll look in 20-30 years from now.

More people should do this, it's a good idea!

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah that's a good idea. Odds are if you wait they'll recover.

Right now.... yeah things are pretty dark.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Remember when Bitcoins crashed because a goon posted SELL SELL SELL on their forums?

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Brannock posted:

While I agree there is too much speculation going on (for a variety of reasons), I have to disagree if you're calling for an end to the stock market. People get caught up in the financial scandal stories and the worry over obscure trading instruments, but the basic premise and purpose of the stock market is sound and needed.

The premise of the stock market is to allow people to put a value or price on companies. We know how many shares there are, but people have wildly different views on what the value of each share is. If I think that doodad maker ACME is going to grow like crazy over the next decade I price in the expected future value of that growth into what I believe each share is worth. If another person thinks that the growth is wildly overstated and in fact the company is going to shrink, they assign a low value per share. Who is right? The stock market is our means of coming to a consensus as a larger communty on what the value of the company is.

Now what happened in today's events? People as a group came to the conclusion that the expected future value of the companies are much less the expected and thus the price is lower. They want to sell at the higher price but find no takers. So they lower the price until they do have takers. The problem is everyon is doing this at once. The value lost or gained in the stock market isn't magically disappearing. The value lost or gained is based on the consensus of expected future outcome; we just have lowered expectations of the near future.

As for volitility, where things do break down and there is a problem is in the options markets and other complex financial instruments. There is a ton of dark money that's floating around in the form of hedges and options and so forth. The purpose of all this money is to provide some protection to traders and allow them to manage risk. However, it can exacerbate moral hazard and temporarily obscure market issues leading to greater volitility. On the other hand being unable to hedge risk could cause more damage than the larger swings that the extra money is causing. At least in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

apatheticman posted:

Check out the comments for a wonderful bit of schadenfreude

Glossing over the insurance inspector who was either blind or on the take was the high-point for me.