Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nm posted:

In the us, most licenses are suspended for a single unpaid ticket (doesn't even need to be a moving violatopn). I'd agree 100% if everyone with suspended licenses got there for bad driving, but most people get there for being poor.

Maybe keep in line with the law and you won't get fines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Uthor posted:

Speaking of parking, Peoria made some spots reverse angle parking. Last time I was there, about 1/4 of the people pulled in forwards on the opposite side of the street. Good luck backing up against traffic when you leave!

https://www.peoria.com/news/news_detail.php?news_id=4188

All the comments on this page and other sites have been about the coming apocalypse of car wrecks and closed businesses because this is somehow more difficult than the current parallel parking it's replacing.

This would actually confuse the hell out of me because I look at the angle of the spots to determine if I'm going the right way in a parking lot lane when there's nothing painted on the ground. Now I don't know what to believe!!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MullardEL34 posted:

I already posted this in the terrible car poo poo thread, but it fits here too.

At 7:30PM this evening, five years of hard work, $15,000, and a Pristine Rust-Free Arizona Corvair were wasted by the negligence of one braindead moron. The loving Jerkoff who hit me attempted to take a 25MPH 90º curve in a residential neighborhood at a good 45-50MPH. By the time we saw him, he was so far over the center line that we couldn't do much to get out of the way. Of course he was drunk. Seeing the cops shove him cuffed into the back of a Cruiser was the only gratifying moment of the night. I'm thankful I'm not hurt but I'm so drat mad. The guy who helped me build this car Has Terminal ALS and won't be around much longer. This is the last Corvair he ever built, and we just finished it this spring. He never got the time to finish his own projects.
:fuckoff: Drunk Driving assholes.

On the bright side, The dude responsible is sleeping in County Lockup tonight, His brand new 2015 Sentra is probably totalled and I have a chunk of his front end to hang on my Garage wall as a trophy. He bounced off us like a drat tennis ball.

That sucks. Drunk driving is the worst, dumbest, least responsible thing ever. On the other hand, Sentras are so goddamn cheap you could probably total the loving thing if it got hit particularly hard by a shopping cart.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

Maybe keep in line with the law and you won't get fines

Yes, because the traffic court system is so transparent and above-board.

Between the standard of proof that someone was breaking a traffic law being "the officer said you were, so you were" and the court getting most of their operating budget from citation revenue what could possibly go wrong?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Geoj posted:

Yes, because the traffic court system is so transparent and above-board.

Between the standard of proof that someone was breaking a traffic law being "the officer said you were, so you were" and the court and county getting most of their operating budget from citation revenue what could possibly go wrong?

Fixed

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

MrLonghair posted:

To add some data to the whole talk; The average cost to get a drivers license in Sweden is 15 000 SEK, $1800 US as of today. Needless to say the cops nab licenseless drivers several times a day in my city of 150k people :v:
The work and money required isn't everything, the yearly inspections are unbelievable. Does the vehicle risk breaking down and causing an incident somewhere? Fails. Could it maybe perhaps run a risk of breaking down like that, like some pieces should be replaced because they are worn out? Passes with a note you better listen to and act on.
Needless to say the cops also nab cars driving on plates belonging to cars not allowed to be on the road and cars driving on stolen plates daily! :haw:

The goal with everything is the very re-election campaign sounding "zero-vision" of zero deaths in traffic. Swedish statistics in 2013:
278 deceased
3 deaths per 100k people
0.05 deaths per 1000 vehicles
5 231 589 vehicles (Nearly 10 million people living in the country)

For the sake of statistics to compare to, US data for 2013:
35 490 deceased
11,4 deaths per 100k people
0.14 deaths per 1000 vehicles
258 957 503 vehicles (317 million people)

Russia trailed nearly 10k deaths behind the US and you know how those people drive. Makes you think. Surely some states have proper demands on handing out licenses and inspections?

Michigan has some lovely roads and we had a lovely winter (but on the other hand, Sweden isn't exactly known for its warm winters). Michigan has had over 500 traffic deaths YTD and basically the same population as Sweden.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Why are the curb feelers on the top?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

nm posted:

In the us, most licenses are suspended for a single unpaid ticket (doesn't even need to be a moving violatopn). I'd agree 100% if everyone with suspended licenses got there for bad driving, but most people get there for being poor.
That is insane. Sorry but it really is. I can get a fine for riding my bicycle under influence, but it will never affect my license because I don't need a license to ride a bicycle. If I get a DUI on a moped or segway, they can and will suspend my license (for a couple of hours) because riding those requires a license and since we only have 1 license (as in the physical item), getting it suspended invalidates the entire document and therefor all endorsements on it.

Not paying a ticket within the normal 3 month term, means it gets doubled and you get another 3 months. Fail to pay then and it is quadrupled from the original amount and you get yet another 3 months to pay. Failing to do that means you get to sit in jail for at a rate of 50 euro paid on the fines for every day of jail time served. So say you do 10kph over, after correction, on the motorway in a construction zone. The fine is something like 80 euro plus 6 in administrative fees. Fail to pay for 9 months and you have to sit in jail for 7 days. The only time you can't drive is when you're in jail. Hell if you can't pay you can surrender during the first term of the fine and just sit in jail for 2 days, if you have a DA or judge who is a bit sympathetic, they will let you serve those days over the weekend, so you won't even lose a workday over it.

It doesn't work the same all over the EU though. If my B-class license gets suspended in Belgium, I can still drive in NL or Germany. I could still ride a moped on my AM-class in Belgium. However if NL or Germany were to suspend any part of my license, AM, B, T, they will suspend the entire document and I can't drive anything at all, regardless of which country I am in, because the document that is my license has been temporarily been made invalid.
If the license is suspended in the French speaking part of Belgium, just pity the cops and drive on. Their justice system is so loving starved for money that they can't afford to upgrade their IT to the standard required to serve a ticket in the EU these days.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You have to remember that American traffic enforcement isn't about safety it is about revenue. Its why you'll see someone getting pulled over for 5 over but never 10 under.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

go3 posted:

You have to remember that American traffic enforcement isn't about safety it is about revenue. Its why you'll see someone getting pulled over for 5 over but never 10 under.
I think that is pretty universal. If tickets were about traffic safety, it wouldn't cost 60 euro or more if a radar camera gets you doing 54kph down a slope in a 50kph zone.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

go3 posted:

Indeed.
Note that when I look at these records, some surprising amount are equipemnt violations like obscured plate (got a plate frame? Guilty!) And lights out.
Remember 2 things. A fix it ticket is not free as the department signing off on it will charge and the court will still assess fees. Equipment violations are common pc for stopping poor or minority drivers to do pretext searches. Also, they tend to be more likely to get those tickets actually written rather than getting a warning.

Also, yeah, speeding. Sure you broke the law doing 10 over, but is than worth 300 bucks?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Swedish traffic enforcement You're high as two kites, you just made a body-imprint with a pedeadstrian on your luxury Merchedes while speeding? Go home, we'll call you when it's time to hear you about what you did (my city, last year, guy escaped to Germany and killed an old guy in an identical fashion, hopefully he gets to rot, just 24 years old and been leeching off the system committing vehicular crimes since he was 19)

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

Swedish traffic enforcement You're high as two kites, you just made a body-imprint with a pedeadstrian on your luxury Merchedes while speeding? Go home, we'll call you when it's time to hear you about what you did (my city, last year, guy escaped to Germany and killed an old guy in an identical fashion, hopefully he gets to rot, just 24 years old and been leeching off the system committing vehicular crimes since he was 19)

Is traffic enforcement a different division from uniformed police? In most US states the enforcement is done by a mix of state and local police. Although there are a couple states like Vermont where the Department of Motor Vehicles has their own traffic enforcement that is outside the state police. But you still see both running speed radar on the highway.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

waffle iron posted:

Is traffic enforcement a different division from uniformed police? In most US states the enforcement is done by a mix of state and local police. Although there are a couple states like Vermont where the Department of Motor Vehicles has their own traffic enforcement that is outside the state police. But you still see both running speed radar on the highway.

At least in seattle there are different parts of the seattle police who focus on traffic stuff, and you really have to piss off a cop who is not on one of those teams to get them to stop you just for a traffic violation. Even if they pull you over, mostly they will just yell at you for a while then let you go so they don't have extra paper work to fill out. Mostly the traffic guys are the ones on motorcycles, DUI squad cars(normal SPD paint job but no light bar) and a few unmarked cars. Of course Washington State Patrol's job is just to stop people for speeding.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

waffle iron posted:

Only difference I can think of is State Troopers actively patrol all the interstate/highway traffic while local/county police usually stick to their own little districts (but can/will work together across counties). Could be wrong though, but that's how I always interpreted it.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

waffle iron posted:

DMV Enforcement in Vermont mostly focuses on commercial traffic, and from talking with a friend who drove commercially for a while, DMVE is much preferred over the state police when dealing with any issues. That said, DMVE will enforce rules for passenger cars if they're looking for something to do, or see a particularly gregarious violation.

You do get a pretty WTF look the first time you see one of the enforcement SUVs though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Texas DPS has dudes that just handle commercial vehicle enforcement(the guys in Tahoes) but they will pull over anyone sufficiently stupid and oh boy are you not gonna enjoy it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

go3 posted:

Texas DPS has dudes that just handle commercial vehicle enforcement(the guys in Tahoes) but they will pull over anyone sufficiently stupid and oh boy are you not gonna enjoy it.

You'd have to do something really dumb. The money is on the commercial tickets and out of service violations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bovril Delight posted:

You'd have to do something really dumb. The money is on the commercial tickets and out of service violations.

Probably some non-negligible percentage of them are exactly like the people in this thread, and would simply love the the opportunity to punish someone for doing a retarded thing. gently caress, I'd pay to be able to have that ability.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

PT6A posted:

Probably some non-negligible percentage of them are exactly like the people in this thread, and would simply love the the opportunity to punish someone for doing a retarded thing. gently caress, I'd pay to be able to have that ability.

Many's the time I wished that I were a cop. "Oooh, I would give that guy such a lecture and top it off with a special driving award"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I would spend all day just smiling and writing tickets and it would be glorious.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

PCOS Bill posted:

I would spend all day just smiling and writing tickets and it would be glorious.

Think of the project cars we could work on from all of the seized assets!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I would probably cause a general revolt in this state by ticketing hundreds of people a day for left lane violations, cellphone use, improper lane change/inability to maintain speed or heading, and failure to signal.

Hell, I saw someone do a left on red after stopping yesterday, from a busy multilane two way road to another one. It takes a special kind of idiocy or disregard for the law to pull that move.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I wish I could give people tickets for littering. Is it bad that I want to ticket people for flicking their cigarette butts out the window? Assholes.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
No, totalnewbie. It is correct and good.

Also oh my god kill all timid, inattentive drivers. I almost got run off the road by people changing lanes at me without looking, or otherwise hit because they weren't paying attention or went too late, etc., about a dozen times in 4 miles on my way home from work today. The first few miles I had almost nobody on the road with me and it was glorious.

I don't know why I spent money on shiny bright gear, they don't see me any more than they used to in my black and gray stuff.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

I wish I could give people tickets for littering. Is it bad that I want to ticket people for flicking their cigarette butts out the window? Assholes.

No, it's very unsafe to do that because it can easily start a fire. It's so smoky here that they're warning people to avoid going outside, all because of forest fire smoke, and I guarantee at least one of them was started by some stupid rear end in a top hat (in a car or otherwise) that can't extinguish a goddamn cigarette like a normal, functional human being. Even (perhaps especially) as a smoker, people that refuse to dispose of their smoking materials properly piss me off.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

kastein posted:

I would probably cause a general revolt in this state by ticketing hundreds of people a day for left lane violations, cellphone use, improper lane change/inability to maintain speed or heading, and failure to signal.

Hell, I saw someone do a left on red after stopping yesterday, from a busy multilane two way road to another one. It takes a special kind of idiocy or disregard for the law to pull that move.

Last week I was headed out in the evening for my homebrew club, and knew that the left lane became left turn only, so my rear end got in the right lane early so I wouldn't have to do anything stupid or aggressive. I notice a cop in the left lane, so I stopped slightly generously on yellow, and was first in line. The cop was second in line behind a woman in a Toyota SUV. She kept creeping on the red light like she was going to cut me off. When it went green, I went without being aggressive, so she kept her signal on and cut in right behind me. In the intersection. There was some dotted line ahead so people like her can merge without resorting to that. Cop lights went on, and her face was total confusion.

I'm sure the cop was wondering how dumb she could be, and she proved the answer was pretty goddamn dumb! It's not like it was an undercover car, it was an Explorer with light bars and full department markings!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Alarbus posted:

Last week I was headed out in the evening for my homebrew club, and knew that the left lane became left turn only, so my rear end got in the right lane early so I wouldn't have to do anything stupid or aggressive. I notice a cop in the left lane, so I stopped slightly generously on yellow, and was first in line. The cop was second in line behind a woman in a Toyota SUV. She kept creeping on the red light like she was going to cut me off. When it went green, I went without being aggressive, so she kept her signal on and cut in right behind me. In the intersection. There was some dotted line ahead so people like her can merge without resorting to that. Cop lights went on, and her face was total confusion.

I'm sure the cop was wondering how dumb she could be, and she proved the answer was pretty goddamn dumb! It's not like it was an undercover car, it was an Explorer with light bars and full department markings!

Watched a guy make a right turn on red the other day, while sitting directly in front of the "NO TURN ON RED" sign, with a cop immediately behind him. Made the turn, cop cautiously makes the same turn and lights go on. It was glorious.

totalnewbie posted:

Yeah gently caress littering. Back when I used to smoke, I would occasionally flick one out the window, felt kinda bad about it but laziness triumphs... then one night I flicked the butt, wind caught it funny, it bounced off the B-pillar (2-door car with long windows) and into the back seat. Nice little round hole burned into my seat. Never tossed a butt again.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
I keep meaning to put stuff in here, but i see so much dumb poo poo that i forget most of it.

Had a good one today though, coming down a sliproad joining the M11 motorway. Sliproad is two lanes, about 2/3 of the way down the dotted line disappears as traffic is supposed to form into a single line to join the motorway. Woman decides that just as i'm about to join the motorway she's going to overtake me and move into lane 1. Lanes 2 and 3 have cars and no gaps, so she's trying to overtake me and move into the space in lane 1 that i need to get into. We're doing 50mph, and rapidly running out of slip road. I move over and she has to loving deal with it, beeping the horn and going ballistic.

Maybe she was expecting me to drive down the hard shoulder? (And plow into the back of the broken down horsebox 100 yards down it?)

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Mooseykins posted:

I keep meaning to put stuff in here, but i see so much dumb poo poo that i forget most of it.

Had a good one today though, coming down a sliproad joining the M11 motorway. Sliproad is two lanes, about 2/3 of the way down the dotted line disappears as traffic is supposed to form into a single line to join the motorway. Woman decides that just as i'm about to join the motorway she's going to overtake me and move into lane 1. Lanes 2 and 3 have cars and no gaps, so she's trying to overtake me and move into the space in lane 1 that i need to get into. We're doing 50mph, and rapidly running out of slip road. I move over and she has to loving deal with it, beeping the horn and going ballistic.

Maybe she was expecting me to drive down the hard shoulder? (And plow into the back of the broken down horsebox 100 yards down it?)

Your avatar fits the bold part of this post.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Bicycle Insanity
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=950_1440519194

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Mooseykins posted:

People who don't understand what the gently caress it means when a two lane slip road lane marking goes dashed and then disappears needs to be rounded up and loving shot. I nearly got turned into a streak on the tarmac on the M6 a couple months back. I was livid for miles.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I'm sure it was deserved :colbert:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

GramCracker posted:

Your avatar fits the bold part of this post.

Very accurate, honestly.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I can't tell, was he in a crosswalk with row ot not?
Not that anything justifies the use of violence there.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That was a woman, she says something like "please don't try to knock me off" as she passes him, and he says something like "shut up you oval office". She must have flipped him off because he chases her down and says "put your finger up at me?" and then shoves her down.

She may have been a bit hostile but I think he's the bigger dick in this one.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of cyclists, while cycling home, I'm pulling up to a street crossing with stop signs for my road. I stop, it's clear, the car coming from opposite me is turning to my right, and I'm going left. It's clear and I go. Nothing odd about that oh hello there mr on a bicycle that just rolls through the stop sign and makes the dumbest face when he sees me (already 75% through my turn and on the street) and swerves clumsily. Nothing would have happened, because I saw it and was evading him.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I'm in Boston for the week. (gently caress everything road related in this area)

3 times this week, a bicyclist going the wrong way almost crashed into me.

Each one was completely indignant about almost getting run over going the wrong way down a one way street.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014
Speaking on the whole traffic law enforcement thing, I remember for years there was a state trooper posted up on the southbound lanes of I-95 crossing the border between Massachusetts and RI. The speed limit drops down from 65 mph to 45 mph in a span of about half a mile, so every day you'd see a good amount of panic braking as you round the curve to reveal the state trooper. The thing was that if you were local, you'd know he's there to get the big 18-wheelers that don't get off the exit and continue over the decrepit bridge, overloading the weight limit which is good for a 4-figure fine. People would literally blow by the cop going 90 mph and he wouldn't budge. And the stream of revenue was always insanely strong because, a) the truck detour signs are small and unnoticeable b) long distance drivers would have no loving idea they have to exit the highway and c) getting off the highway and following the narrow, serpentine route around the bridge is what truck driving hell is made of. The couple times I went to traffic court in that period, about 75% of infractions were related to those trucks (the other 25% being old Mexican women with too much tint on their minivans). It was equal parts amusing and depressing seeing the unbathed scruffy flannel wearing truck driver always paired up with a clean cut lawyer representing the shipping company who I can't imagine cares all that much that they have to eat bullshit fines like that once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

nm posted:

I can't tell, was he in a crosswalk with row ot not?
Not that anything justifies the use of violence there.

He doesn't have right of way where he was crossing, he was just chancing it because he's one of those 'kool dudes' who needs to get across the road in the tiniest of gaps. The type of prick that'll misjudge a gap but stubbornly walk forcing people to have to slow down so they don't hit him.

*edit: you can actually see the light on the pedestrian crossing is red as she passes it top left 0-1 second into the video.

I had fun with a car yesterday on the way home from work. I was in a lane marked straight ahead. I went straight ahead. Car behind me beeped. I looked where he was going and followed him, asking him why he beeped. "I didn't know if you were going to turn right or not! You didn't indicate!" ...in a lane marked straight ahead? Dickhead.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 27, 2015