Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Starfox isn't being sent out to day, they gave it a marquee spot in their holiday lineup because they think it's going to do really well (and because Zelda got pushed back). They're deluded but they're not Devil's Third-ing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

star fox being sent out to die with that price and being put out in the wake of Fallout and XCOM

I wonder what fraction of Wii U owners Nintendo expects to buy Star Fox are actually interested in either of those games. Not a snarky question. Doubt I'll drop $60 for Star Fox but I don't like either of those other franchises, if SF targets younger audiences it could be relatively unaffected.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh I'm definitely interested in Fallout 4 but I won't be getting a PS4 or One for at least another two years probably.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This is probably a dumb question, but here it goes: how well does Mario 64 hold up? I'm in the midst of a serious Mario-binge and I never owned an N64, so my exposure to Mario 64 is limited to what I played at a Sears kiosk in 1996. I'm thinking about grabbing it for my Wii U.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Everything about Mario 64 holds up except the camera and even that's not too bad, really.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The last time I replayed Mario 64 was when it first came out on the Wii VC and I still enjoyed it a lot. Though I recall being very frustrated on some of the later stages if you were trying to get the 100-coin stars.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but here it goes: how well does Mario 64 hold up? I'm in the midst of a serious Mario-binge and I never owned an N64, so my exposure to Mario 64 is limited to what I played at a Sears kiosk in 1996. I'm thinking about grabbing it for my Wii U.

Very well so long as you're using a decent controller. The camera can be a bit finicky too but it's way better than most 3D games at the time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think the level design of Mario 64 has not aged as well as people think but there are still some really iconic levels (whomp's fortress was so good it made a return in Super Mario Galaxy 2). It's a bit up and down, basically. But completely understandable since it was a pioneer.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

star fox being sent out to die with that price and being put out in the wake of Fallout and XCOM

The weekend before Black Friday has been Nintendo's standard holiday tentpole date for years. They're giving Starfox the same slot they gave Smash Bros, Mario 3D World, their last three console launches, several mainline Zelda games, etc. It definitely doesn't represent the game being put out to pasture.

And tiptoeing around ever other game launch is silly, since it would mean never releasing stuff in November of any year. They're also going to market Starfox to a younger crowd than those games, anyway. There's a lot of kids who got Splatoon this summer that they can target the game at.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The best thing about Mario 64, that I don't think its successors or copy cats have done nearly as well, is have a decent number of secrets and nooks and crannies in the overworld (the castle, in M64's case). I don't know what it is but there is something just infinitely more interesting to me in exploring 64's castle than Delfino Plaza or whatever it was in Banjoo-Kazooie.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think the level design of Mario 64 has not aged as well as people think but there are still some really iconic levels (whomp's fortress was so good it made a return in Super Mario Galaxy 2). It's a bit up and down, basically. But completely understandable since it was a pioneer.

It kind of falls apart in the last third but overall I think the level design is really solid.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The only thing about Mario 64 that doesn't hold up is the invisible number hunts. Pretty sure they were a ploy to get people to buy the guides.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Adam Bowen posted:

It kind of falls apart in the last third but overall I think the level design is really solid.
I always thought Rainbow Ride was really bad

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You'll want to make sure and rework the controls a bit to be sure. Whatever you're most comfortable with, but I moved jump to B and attack to Y, crouch to Zr, up C to X, right C to A, left C to Zl, down C to l, and R... to R.

That seems to work pretty well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I seem to remember the GCN controller being my favorite for N64 games on the VC.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Mario 64 is really good if you're patient with it and understand it's basically the first of its kind. They deviated so far from the Mario formula that they were used to and it's pretty impressive that it turned out so excellent anyway.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Got it recently and I love jumping in every now and then and playing, it's a great game.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I always thought Rainbow Ride was really bad

The idea was OK but as I recall the boat moved insanely slowly and since some of the stars were really hard to get you'd spend way too long on that stupid slow moving boat waiting to get where you needed to be. I also felt like Tall Tall Mountain was completely pointless and it hosed up the camera real bad.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Big Yoshi...

I want it even if it's more expensive and the regular Yarn Yoshi is cheaper.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Mario 64 is great because unless you're trying to 100% it, it's as fun as you want it to be. You can just play the levels you really like and skip the lovely ones, and if a star is giving you trouble you can go get another one elsewhere. I think the reason people have such fond memories of it is because they only played the more fun levels and skipped the lovely ones. That being said, I love that game, and 100%ed it for the first time a few years back. It still plays really well.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Adam Bowen posted:

The idea was OK but as I recall the boat moved insanely slowly and since some of the stars were really hard to get you'd spend way too long on that stupid slow moving boat waiting to get where you needed to be. I also felt like Tall Tall Mountain was completely pointless and it hosed up the camera real bad.
It's an interesting contrast to compare some of Sunshine's levels that are more like playgrounds planted in an actual environment and a level like Rainbow Ride which is probably about as abstract and nonsensical as 3D Mario levels get

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

super mario sunshine is a better platformer thanks to fludd but 64 definitely has a more direct feel to it which i appreciate. some nice worlds too

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I feel like I'm the only one who has never liked Mario 64. I felt like it was an especially ugly game with boring levels and lousy controls even in 1996, and it stands out only because the copycats were that much worse. I got the VC version with CN points and my kids seem to like it well enough though, and I guess it's good that it eventually evolved into a good game with Galaxy.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SRM posted:

Mario 64 is great because unless you're trying to 100% it, it's as fun as you want it to be. You can just play the levels you really like and skip the lovely ones, and if a star is giving you trouble you can go get another one elsewhere. I think the reason people have such fond memories of it is because they only played the more fun levels and skipped the lovely ones. That being said, I love that game, and 100%ed it for the first time a few years back. It still plays really well.

120 star is really fun for the most part and it's one of the few games I actually bothered to do so more than once. It's a pretty good level of achievement to get. Personally I found 100% Yoshi's Island to be too onerous, and all of the Mario 64 knockoffs/successors like Banjo don't even warrant the effort.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

time to kick these posts into high gear... Banjo-Kazooie is a masterpiece and waaaaay more fun to play than mario 64

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oddium posted:

time to kick these posts into high gear... Banjo-Kazooie is a masterpiece and waaaaay more fun to play than mario 64
I want to give it a fair chance another time but if I did I would probably do it with the 360 version since it has a more stable framerate than the original

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Basic movement in Mario 64 is fast and acrobatic while basic movement in BK is slow and plodding, and this alone gives Mario 64 an insurmountable lead in the "fun factor" portion of any Objective Review.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I think time has kinda tarnished Mario 64, but a better 3D platformer didn't really come out for some time after it was released. It's worth revisiting, especially if you've never played it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
SM64 also has some fun tricks to bypass sections of levels and get stars "early" through wall-kicks and long jumps that feel pretty awesome to master even if you know the level already. Feels like it adds replayability.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Supercar Gautier posted:

Basic movement in Mario 64 is fast and acrobatic while basic movement in BK is slow and plodding, and this alone gives Mario 64 an insurmountable lead in the "fun factor" portion of any Objective Review.
Yeah, the movement is so drat good in Mario 64 and that's one thing that no other 3D platformer of the era got right in my experience.

raditts posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who has never liked Mario 64. I felt like it was an especially ugly game with boring levels and lousy controls even in 1996, and it stands out only because the copycats were that much worse. I got the VC version with CN points and my kids seem to like it well enough though, and I guess it's good that it eventually evolved into a good game with Galaxy.
I'm glad it evolved into Galaxy, although I'm a little bummed it became so objective based and less exploration based with Galaxy 2. I wouldn't mind if the next 3D Mario was more exploration based and they kept the more "reach the goal" type level design to 3D World-style games.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The impression I got was that Galaxy 2 was kind of Miyamoto putting the foot down on having some sort of overworld.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

majormonotone posted:

From today's Nintendo of America press release:

Wait, all these release dates and Pokken confirmed on Wii U last Friday plus a new Amiibo... this would have been announced by a Direct if Iwata hadn't passed, wouldn't it? :smith:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

majormonotone posted:

From today's Nintendo of America press release:

There went any last remaining hope of Xenoblade on American eshop.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Don't worry, they're teasing the exciting international debut of Vs. Excitebike.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

this would have been announced by a Direct if Iwata hadn't passed, wouldn't it? :smith:

Yes. There won't be another Direct, unless the next Nintendo president actually wants to bring them back.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/635851585688588288/photo/1
It's really loving tiny, but it looks like Modern Colors 8-Bit Mario Amiibo is Walmart Wii U Super Mario Maker Bundle-exclusive.
They got me, they loving got me, i'm going to loving import amiibos. :negative:

arcsig
May 29, 2015

It should be illegal to sell something as cute as the yarn Yoshi amiibo.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
OK wait what is "Lego dimensions" and why does it cost one hundred dollars?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Chill Penguin posted:

OK wait what is "Lego dimensions" and why does it cost one hundred dollars?

Skylanders/Disney Infinity but with Lego versions of various IPs (DC Comics crap, LOTR, Ghostbusters, Harry Potter, Simpsons, etc). I guess it's priced up because the figures are actual Lego kits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

arcsig posted:

It should be illegal to sell something as cute as the yarn Yoshi amiibo.

at the very least, it should be illegal to charge $40 for a plush toy.

• Locked thread