Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gyra_Solune posted:

(also the RG Zeta is unreliable at transforming? sad, that was one I had my eye on)

Almost all Zeta kits are unreliable at transforming. I have MG Zeta 2.0 and I super glued all of the transformation joints to make it solid, and RG Zeta is under constant risk of explosion if you try to transform that.

Old Swerdlow posted:

The jump in time commitment is huge going from HG to MG in my limited experience. My current kit took about 20-30 hours of just sanding all the nubs to get it ready for paint.

I still don't get how people can spend this long sanding nubs...:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Altron's up on P-Bandai for 4860 yen, which means after markup it'll be around $75. SD will probably sell it for closer to the original price, but you'll still have to pay for shipping.

The fact that it was P-Bandai at all immediately made me think Bandai's solution to getting Altron's gimmick to work was "gently caress it, let's not even bother"

and this pretty much confirms it. The arms need supports to do basically anything, much like how the MG TGIII could not stand with its gun on.

That, along with MG Banshee "lackluster" Norn basically confirms that if it's P-Bandai, it's not going to meet the level of quality MG normally has. Kind of makes me worried for Jesta Cannon to be honest.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
To be fair I'm not sure what one could even do to get Altron's thing to work? Maybe if you made all the joints like, industrial-strength heavy ratchets and a system for locking up every joint in the body but otherwise you're liable to need stands for it anyways.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

My TGIII can stand with its gun just fine, not sure what you mean BlitzBlast.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I've heard from three other people that if you put the gun on, the balance just goes to absolute poo poo. v:shobon:v

Gyra_Solune posted:

To be fair I'm not sure what one could even do to get Altron's thing to work? Maybe if you made all the joints like, industrial-strength heavy ratchets and a system for locking up every joint in the body but otherwise you're liable to need stands for it anyways.

That's probably exactly the reason Bandai just decided to make it P-Bandai, because they didn't think Altron was worth the R&D costs to get the thing to actually work on its own.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

I've heard from three other people that if you put the gun on, the balance just goes to absolute poo poo. v:shobon:v

That's probably exactly the reason Bandai just decided to make it P-Bandai, because they didn't think Altron was worth the R&D costs to get the thing to actually work on its own.

I don't see how it's possible to get it so you can have it stand up unsupported and stick it's dragon head things straight out fully extended. Because of, yknow, gravity

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bandai are fools whose plastic is still held down by gravity.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Aside from the obvious answer of a bunch of strong joints and some light Dragon Fangs a la RD Altron,

they also could have done their usual "there is no way this gimmick will work under gravity" strategy and provide a custom action base.

There was also the option of straight up redesigning the thing to make it work.

The fact that you just see white PVC poles in that image means you just get the kit as is, so you'll need to work out your own way to get the fangs up.

EDIT:

There's also a shot of an unsupported fang, at least, so you might be able to rest the red extending arms on themselves?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 24, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

Aside from the obvious answer of a bunch of strong joints and some light Dragon Fangs a la RD Altron,

That is a proportionally much smaller thing, and it doesn't extend as far, and it's not using solid MG construction

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT:

There's also a shot of an unsupported fang, at least, so you might be able to rest the red extending arms on themselves?

It's pretty clearly just the fully extended, straight out from body that needs help, so honestly, it seems like the design is pretty dang good as is. I just think you're being unrealistic here.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I put together the revive OG Gundam and it was an enjoyable, quick build with barely any stickers. I'd definitely recommend picking it up if you want an HG version of that MS.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

BlitzBlast posted:

There was also the option of straight up redesigning the thing to make it work.

How was the Impulse redesigned? I can't really tell from that picture.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

That is a proportionally much smaller thing, and it doesn't extend as far, and it's not using solid MG construction

Legit not sure what you're even trying to argue here, by the way. It's already been confirmed to be P-Bandai.

Son Ryo posted:

How was the Impulse redesigned? I can't really tell from that picture.

The Anti Ship Swords are actually too tall to fit on the Sword Impulse's back like they do on the lineart. The show gets around it with animation magic, but the kit had to move the backpack up and introduce a telescoping feature to the swords.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

Legit not sure what you're even trying to argue here, by the way. It's already been confirmed to be P-Bandai.

Dude, look at how much smaller those dragon heads and arm extending parts are than the ones on the EW Altron. That is not a reasonable comparison

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm literally just giving an example of something they could have done, what are you on about? :psyduck:

If they actually wanted to put in the effort it'd be entirely possible to make the Dragon Fangs as light as possible (like they do with almost anything that has a wire attachment) and put a sturdy inner frame inside the red bits to support the weight. They obviously decided that MG Altron was not worth the effort of that, or some other workaround (custom AB, redesign to be more physically possible, etc), so they went with bare minimum and put it on P-Bandai so they wouldn't be putting a kind of lackluster MG on general release.

I'm not sure if you realize this, but Bandai's been putting in a bunch of effort lately to get MGs of suits with gimmicks to actually follow through on those gimmicks. An Altron that couldn't go nuts with its arms would be legitimately kind of weak, much like how a Banshee Norn that can't actually keep its gun together would be kind of lame.

Also looking it up again, my mistake on the Impulse. The problem was that the MG Force Impulse went with a really long Excalibur like in the Freedom vs Impulse fight, and then the Sword Impulse was stuck with trying to figure out how to stand up with those things. Hence the redesign.

EDIT: I await the kit coming out, somebody here getting it, then posing the fangs flipping me off at full extension with no support at all.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 24, 2015

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I understand why they couldn't make the arms extend more, but I really wanted to be able to do this pose from the end of endless waltz :

oh well still going to pick it up regardless.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Monaghan posted:

I understand why they couldn't make the arms extend more, but I really wanted to be able to do this pose from the end of endless waltz :

oh well still going to pick it up regardless.

Just buy four.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: I await the kit coming out, somebody here getting it, then posing the fangs flipping me off at full extension with no support at all.

I'll be sure to do that once Daban comes out with their version.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Speaking of third party stuff, DM's completing the set with an Aile Striker + Skygrasper. I'm... somewhat worried we'll just get the regular Aile Striker vRM but even worse, but at least you can make a full DM Perfect Strike now.

And hey, while we're on the subject of Wing, Model Legend finished his Armadillo attachment parts for the Sandrock earlier this month.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Ka0 posted:

Please use grey on white. It looks less tacky.

are there any good comparisons of grey-on-white vs. black-on-white for panel lining to get an idea of how the two look?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's mostly a matter of opinion, really, because

***black*

VS

***gray**

half the time you can't even tell unless you look close up in proper lighting.

I personally think gray looks nicer too, but black is a much more available color as far as panel washes go. And, well, it works on everything. Even if you dislike the starkness, you can't argue with that kind of convenience.

EDIT: Actually, this image probably works better for a comparison. Man I wish I had a decent shot of my 3.0 on me.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 24, 2015

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I was expecting the extendo arms to just be like the Acgguy and just be loads of extra bits you can put in to make it as long as you want and still sturdy. Oh well.

I do black panel lines on some suits because it makes it look more like the animation to me, especially MSG and Zeta era. Black also goes with everything so you can just do black on every part of the kit instead of having to swap around and do multiple colours if you're into that. Thinking about it, does anyone have any examples of multiple colours used to panel line in a single build? And what do people do for panel lining super dark areas? A dark grey, a dark blue?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Looks like the HG 1/144 Barbatos will also have an inner frame.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Looks like the HG 1/144 Barbatos will also have an inner frame.

Huh, I wasn't expecting that. It's probably for the same reason the 1/100 isn't an MG in that they can reuse the frame along with all or most of the line parts for customization.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

BlitzBlast posted:

Speaking of third party stuff, DM's completing the set with an Aile Striker + Skygrasper. I'm... somewhat worried we'll just get the regular Aile Striker vRM but even worse, but at least you can make a full DM Perfect Strike now.

And hey, while we're on the subject of Wing, Model Legend finished his Armadillo attachment parts for the Sandrock earlier this month.

Wait, so there's finally gonna be a MG-sized Skygrasper? This is... pretty exciting news. Is there any chance it'll be compatible with the regular Bandai sword/launcher strikers?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
For anyone who sprays their gundam parts with paint, what do you use to hold your alligator clips up while your parts dry?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

signalnoise posted:

For anyone who sprays their gundam parts with paint, what do you use to hold your alligator clips up while your parts dry?

Runners. Just cut the edge of the runners off and you have a stem that's long enough to hold the clip clear of whatever foam block you're using.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

signalnoise posted:

I just pick up some cheap dowels from the hardware store, and stick them in foam blocks. Dirt cheap and whatever length you want.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

signalnoise posted:

Bamboo skewers. They come in a big bag at the grocery store for a dollar or two.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

signalnoise posted:

Squirrels take twigs from the big, old oak tree by my window, clean them, cut them down to the right size, and bring them to me while I sing simple, charming songs about the joys of Gunpla

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
If Orphans is going to be as Xabungley as it looks at a glance I can easily see why they'd go ahead and make a full HG inner frame for it, since there'd likely be an element of replacing a unit's damaged parts with whatever you can salvage so there's likely to be notable configurations of it that instead of selling as their own kit, are made as reasons to sell more of the grunt enemy models. It is High Grade after all, that's where you'd find those grunts actually made. Plus I'm sure they do sell HGs for a younger crowd who would value the playability and also sturdiness of such a system.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

If Orphans is going to be as Xabungley as it looks at a glance I can easily see why they'd go ahead and make a full HG inner frame for it, since there'd likely be an element of replacing a unit's damaged parts with whatever you can salvage so there's likely to be notable configurations of it that instead of selling as their own kit, are made as reasons to sell more of the grunt enemy models. It is High Grade after all, that's where you'd find those grunts actually made. Plus I'm sure they do sell HGs for a younger crowd who would value the playability and also sturdiness of such a system.

We already know the Barbatos is going to be megamanning.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
If MG sales have been flagging or whatever it could have a nice bonus of being a gateway of "see how cool inner frames are, maybe try some master grade kits!" without the increased fiddle factor of RG.

tgv
Oct 16, 2008

MG Altron is up for preorder at both samueldecal USD$48 and genteikits¥6,755

I guess this definitely kills gentei kits for me, priced so much higher

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The worst part is that you still have to pay shipping on both.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The concept of free shipping is completely foreign to me :smith:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Lol at the people complaining about shipping over $20.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Is there anything stopping people from ordering directly from P-Bandai and shipping through Tenso? I've been wondering for awhile, considering how many places manage to gouge the hell out of online exclusives.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Supposedly P-Bandai doesn't accept western credit cards.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That P-Bandai Prototype Gouf is going to be the first exclusive I ever buy. It looks so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

You wanna complain about shipping?

Come to the UK. Where it's Russian Roulette if your gunpla might get stopped at customs and welp, you have to pay another $25 to get it out.