Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

One class has an 18 year old kid who won't shut the gently caress up about how he's the world's greatest entrepreneur because of his CutCo career. The other class has the biggest poo poo head economic major who will correct anyone who offers an opinion about how the world works with minutia on some micro economic topic that probably matters gently caress all. I pray they get the same class at one point. Neither of these classes have anything to do with economics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I am taking a course called Digital Writing this semester and my teacher uploaded all the assignments to D2L already. This is one of them:

Does it make me a fuckin nerd if I'm mad that she calling them "memes" instead of "image macros?"

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I would have thought that you would be more frustrated at creating a meme for a class. Also I don't think I've heard anyone use the phrase "image macro" in years.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I would have thought that you would be more frustrated at your assignment already being ten and a half months overdue.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I would have thought that you would be more frustrated at your assignment already being ten and a half months overdue.

yeah that's one of the things that are incorrect on that assignment

Gobblecoque posted:

I would have thought that you would be more frustrated at creating a meme for a class. Also I don't think I've heard anyone use the phrase "image macro" in years.

Writing an essay explaining it is gonna be worse. How the gently caress do you write an essay on a joke that supposed to be so self-explanatory that you wouldn't possible need more than 8 words to explain it. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF THEM!

e; Also, I just found out I have to write a 3-page project proposal to register for my senior project course. I've been trying to get in this class for a month now calling the registrar, the advising office, and another office. I know it's not the adviser's responsibility to track down the student, but I was in his office 3 months ago talking about my upcoming semester and he didn't even mention this.

teen phone cutie has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Aug 11, 2015

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Has anyone roomed with a exchange student? I've just been paired with a Freshmen from Taipei, Taiwan (as a senior) because my friend and roommate changed schools mid-summer.

I don't want to sound rude, but gently caress dude. This could either go really great or turn into a horror story.

(yes I am an idiot for still paying for on-campus housing as a senior).

teen phone cutie has a new favorite as of 06:34 on Aug 19, 2015

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
My financial aid for this semester was messed up due to me filing my FAFSA wrong since I had just gotten married this year, so I have a hold and an audit on it. In addition to this my VA benefits didn't get resolved yet because even though I filed them a few weeks ago, their backlog since switching over to an all electronic system is delaying their processing. Instead of just being able to tell the university that I'm good for it, signed VA, I had to put a 30% down payment on my classes for the semester to not get dropped from all my classes tomorrow. This involved a $30 per payment installment fee as well as a 2.75% processing fee on credit cards. I'm glad I had the card to fall back on at least, the "emergency loan" the VA rep was telling people they could take out has another $30 fee and the total doesn't even come close to covering the down payment on tuition.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
In the middle of last semester, with zero warning, the school lowered the maximum amount of credits you can have before you're cut off the financial aid tit from 150 to 125. No big deal I thought, I'm way below that because the school counted six of my transfer credits. I get an email two weeks ago that I'm on a Sufficient Academic Progress warning because I have 140 credits. Confused by this I go the administration where this conversation takes place:

Me: I got this email that I'm on Warning Status because of credits. I don't have 140 credits.
Secretary looks up my file, then says, "Actually you do. All those credits from your Community College that you transferred in with those count as credits."
Me: "But not a single one of the departments accepted them, even on appeal, so as far as I understood they were just wasted time and didn't count for anything, they don't even figure in to my GPA."
Secretary: "Well they don't count towards your degree but they're credits so they count towards your credit count."
Me in my head as I walk away:"So if I don't want to fly I'm sane, but if I do want to fly I'm crazy...."

The end result of this is that I'm down to my last two semesters and my adviser and I have to meet with a committee both semesters to justify my classes, that I'm not taking anything I don't need and that I am staying on track to graduate. All for credits that don't count for anything. Except that they're credits. So they count as that. For reasons that only the Gods understand. Of course the department couldn't do something like cut the one semester foreign language class, or let me out of the concentration requirements and just let me graduate with a general history degree but they didn't get to do that so why should I?

Additionally today is the day they're supposed to disburse financial aid refunds. The Financial Aid office has stated that it will be a minimum of five business days before any disbursement will occur. Classes begin on Monday. They paid themselves promptly and without error but gently caress you students that might be in upper division classes where the course work starts day one and you might just maybe need those textbooks the refund money is supposed to cover.

This is supposed to be a "world class university" that wants to open its own medical school next year. I can't wait to be done with this place. Though I do have to say that I've gotten some of the easiest grades in my life at this place. I literally walked in to a biology exam completely cold after my dad died and pulled a 97. I spent a good portion of the class asleep, not entirely my fault the room had comfy theater seats, it was dark and cool, and the instructor was the dullest creature on the planet, the only real study I ever got was my staff Sargent friend doing drills off note cards minutes before the exam because the instructor refused to use the required text, he felt his lecture notes were far superior than any text book.

I should have gone to University of Washington but my wife really wanted to get involved in the animal sciences here. I hate this place and this school.

Happy_Cat
Jul 21, 2006
Welcome to the internet!
Not mine but sort of involves me. At my company we got our yearly batch of summer interns for the year around May I think, and I had one guy working with me randomly over the summer on some web applications for my department. About a week ago we were talking about classes we have both taken (he is at the same school where I graduated), and he complained that he took a mid level web development course the previous semester that was entirely HTML tags....using nothing but notepad...by a woman who has been there for something like 20 years.

I had no words for this, and I know this is sort of thing typical in some places, but I kind of wanted to tell him to drop out.

Happy_Cat has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Aug 21, 2015

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

My financial aid for this semester was messed up due to me filing my FAFSA wrong since I had just gotten married this year, so I have a hold and an audit on it. In addition to this my VA benefits didn't get resolved yet because even though I filed them a few weeks ago, their backlog since switching over to an all electronic system is delaying their processing. Instead of just being able to tell the university that I'm good for it, signed VA, I had to put a 30% down payment on my classes for the semester to not get dropped from all my classes tomorrow. This involved a $30 per payment installment fee as well as a 2.75% processing fee on credit cards. I'm glad I had the card to fall back on at least, the "emergency loan" the VA rep was telling people they could take out has another $30 fee and the total doesn't even come close to covering the down payment on tuition.

Do you not receive 100% benefits? Chapter 33 or post 9/11? I've used the post 9/11 at two schools and have ran into issues with the VA not paying on time and at both schools I was told not to worry about anything since the school would eventually get their money. I was even allowed to charge all of my books to my tuition when I didn't get my book stipend on time either. Going to school on the GI Bill, Yellow Ribbon even, has been an absolute stress free breeze.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Go to your schools vets office. I used to work in one and we would regularly put a hold on payment nonsense until the VA sorted it's stuff out as long as you had a certificate of eligibility. Hell they let me do it with just a DD214 when I first started.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
gently caress textbook prices, holy poo poo. I have to spend a combined 500-600 dollars on textbooks alone this semester (this is around 1/8 of my tuition itself)

luckily Amazon had a book for nearly 70 dollars cheaper than the campus bookstore price but several of the books i have to buy are bookstore only :(

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

How Rude posted:

gently caress textbook prices, holy poo poo. I have to spend a combined 500-600 dollars on textbooks alone this semester (this is around 1/8 of my tuition itself)

luckily Amazon had a book for nearly 70 dollars cheaper than the campus bookstore price but several of the books i have to buy are bookstore only :(

Chances are good that not every single one of those books needs to be brand new or the latest edition, or that each student needs their own copy, or that you need them right away. If I were you I'd go out of my way to find used copies online or a group of friends to share a copy (and the associated cost). I managed to keep my book costs down to less than a third of what "all new" would have been doing things like this.

Granted, I also went to a small tech school where I was able to go up to each professor individually and ask them how important a given book was, and they were able to be honest about it (in other words, they gave a poo poo about each student and weren't trying to fleece students for extra cash by forcing them to buy a book that the professors themselves had written).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It's pretty trivial in the scope of things, but the commons building on campus has a small dedicated area for people to plug in their laptops and/or study. A cluster of theater majors have decided that there is no other place to sit and talk endlessly, so instead of relaxing before class I get to have a gaggle of gossiping gays* in my ear. :argh:

*Yes, actually and flagrantly gay. Please don't think I'm trying to be homophobic.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Why would you change the bus routes and schedules on the first day of class and not publish them online

why

(The bus is financially tied to the university, this may be a tangential complaint but it resulted in me missing my first class soooo)

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

College complaint: everything centered on "traditional" students and lovely rear end systems with the best (and most expensive) public school in the state. Come on there's more older (as in not fresh out of high school) people going back to school than ever. Everything worked out in the end but this still pissed me off greatly at the time. Applied to uni, had to get my high school transcript, alright fine. See if I can order it online because I no longer live in the same state, all links say you can do it at the county website but going to the county website says you have to contact the school directly. Seems my highschool left the county school system and set up their own municipal school system, and you can't order transcripts online. The school being a bunch of idiots had left every iteration of the websites the made up, I couldn't find anything about a transcript request while looking at 4 different websites ( :psyduck: ) so I call the school. I tell them I need a transcript request form because I no longer live in state and the first thing the person asks me is "why don't you just come in to the school?" I JUST loving SAID I DON'T LIVE IN THE drat STATE ANYMORE WHY WOULD YOU THINK THAT SOMEONE WHO GRADUATED TEN YEARS AGO WOULD STILL LIVE THERE? They point me to the right webpage and form, and I send my transcript request in. Fast forward, uni's system keeps sayin they haven't received my high school transcript. I call the school and I'm never able to get a hold of the person who is in charge of this. My application gets denied because they never received my transcript. Apply again next semester, call the school and ask them what the gently caress, no response given. Send in another transcript request certified mail and tell them I will be on the next plane if it gets hosed up again. Everything goes smoothly this time. My application is accepted hurray! Well now I have to fill out a couple forms and turn in a bunch of paperwork because even though I've lived here for ten years, their system automatically flags anyone who's high school wasn't in state or they've ever gone to another school that wasn't in state. I submit all the things and wait the several months before it's even looked at. Then I'm informed by email that there's a problem, they don't say what the problem is and calling them gets me no answer either as to what the problem is. So I go up there and they tell me their document upload system broke the day I submitted. Give them all the documents they want, and I'm switched to in state. Except this is actually bad it turns out, because while my financial aid stayed "the same," the amount of grant I received was going down but I was approved for a perkins loan! I end up having to pay more money than if I was out of state.

Then we go to orientation and register for classes. This is after all current students registered of course. Every class I need to take is already waitlisted, including the gatekeeper course for electrical engineering. They were adamant they would get us in, and we eventually did, but I was freakin out because my school has already been delayed and I want to get this done :argh:.

Also all the engineering classes I need to take being either at the same time, or at the worst times to make a full time school plus full time work schedule work.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OniPanda posted:

Then we go to orientation and register for classes. This is after all current students registered of course. Every class I need to take is already waitlisted, including the gatekeeper course for electrical engineering. They were adamant they would get us in, and we eventually did, but I was freakin out because my school has already been delayed and I want to get this done.

This was me, and in addition, there are two classes I wanted to take. German, for my foreign language requirement (my school requires proficiency to graduate) and Labor Economics, since it is being taught by one of the economists I did my summer internship with. Of course the school offers all four sections of the German 'lab' during the same two hour block on the same days that Labor Econ is held. :shepicide:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

How Rude posted:

for the books you can get off amazon do this:

Ask the professor if you can use a older edition if possible.
If yes: Buy that poo poo used for like 15 bucks.

Alternately, go without the book, just borrow them for a night at a time from your lazy classmates who arnt actually useing it and take really good notes from whatever chapter your at.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Agean90 posted:

Alternately, go without the book, just borrow them for a night at a time from your lazy classmates who arnt actually useing it and take really good notes from whatever chapter your at.

Let me guess: English major?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Agean90 posted:

I paid $3 including shipping for one of my textbooks because I got the edition from two years ago. At that price even if it turns out to not be usable for some weird reason, I'm not hurting badly.

My biology 1 course is probably the worst in terms of text books. The professor said that the book was a special edition of the text for this university. I smelled a giant rat so I took a look at a used copy at the bookstore. Of course the title page had the exact same ISBN as the standard edition. As far as I can tell, the only difference is they have a different sticker on the back. So I just ordered a copy of the book online for less than one-third of the bookstore price. But they had a special lab book which turned out to be a binder with print outs in it that they demanded over $30 for. And of course there's the code needed to access the website to do the homework. Nothing that's news to anyone, I'm sure, but now that I'm a college student again I want to grumble about it, too!

And I'm a bit furious that the place I found with some supplies online that promised to get me them in two days hadn't shipped five days later forcing me to cancel the order with them and pay the school bookstore markup.

I'm sympathetic with the returning students woes, too. It took me literally three months of headaches to get everything I needed to apply for admission and got in with two weeks to spare. At least my college had reserved some spots in the major courses for late admissions so my first semester is packed.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm expected to get a textbook for some stupid mandatory sports and rec philosophy class that costs $250. Not doing it. You can make me take the course, but I'm not buying your dumb book.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Get a bunch of people to pitch in on a copy and a case of beer, throw a big fuckin' scanning party where you all drink for every so many pages that are digitized, then save it as a .pdf for you and your buddies to use. Sell the physical book on half.com and buy more beer with the proceeds. Everybody wins, because gently caress the textbook racket.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I paid $3 including shipping for one of my textbooks because I got the edition from two years ago. At that price even if it turns out to not be usable for some weird reason, I'm not hurting badly.

Less than an hour later my professor punished me for my hubris! It turned out to be yet another of those drat textbooks where they tied access to the online work with purchase of the book.

At least I can just get the e-text version. I'm still eighty bucks ahead on the suckers who bought the physical one.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm expected to get a textbook for some stupid mandatory sports and rec philosophy class that costs $250. Not doing it. You can make me take the course, but I'm not buying your dumb book.

pirate them

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Agean90 posted:

would be nice, except you have to purchase the online pass or code or whatever to actually do your homework because gently caress POOR STUDENTS :geno:

Anyway, I figured I can just get buy buying the online pass + eBook for around 50 dollars less for nearly each book so I'm saving probably $250 dollars either buying cheaper new hard copies from Amazon or sticking with the eBook on the website. But still, books shouldn't make up nearly 1/6 of my loving expenses in a single semester. It's bullshit.

Random Stranger posted:

Less than an hour later my professor punished me for my hubris! It turned out to be yet another of those drat textbooks where they tied access to the online work with purchase of the book.

At least I can just get the e-text version. I'm still eighty bucks ahead on the suckers who bought the physical one.

:yeah:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I'm taking a course on 'Computer Usage and Technology' that's a required part of my major, and it's basically supposed to go into Microsoft Office, familiarize you with common software, stuff like that. I'm taking it online and it seems to consist mostly of slideshows and multiple choice tests. No big deal.

Except the first lesson just took literally an hour and a half to walk me through such mysteries as "Input Devices" (a.k.a. THE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD-- Did you know that with fingerprint scanners, your FINGERS are now input devices??) and "Output Devices" (SPEAKERS!) and all the ways such magic could enhance my computing experience! It taught me what a joystick was for some reason! Did I know that I could back up my files onto a disc to save them incase I leave my computer somewhere unattended and it gets stolen? (Oh, by the way, never leave your computer unattended in a public space guys, thieves will be all over your secret data!) I learned how to close and minimize the windows on my desktop using those buttons in the upper corner! Keep in mind, this slideshow was online on a site that requires you to set up an account and navigate a complicated menu to open it up in several pop-ups... and part of the lesson was on how to use a mouse.

At some point, somebody decided that there needed to be a separate section each for Printers, Mobile Printers, and Large-Format Printers. It was painful.

I considered trying to test out of it because I've been using Microsoft Office since I was about 6, but I'm being strongly discouraged by the school and professors, because they go into a LOT of detail about that Office stuff, and the test is actually really hard and there's a fee even if you fail it, and also we don't know how it'll affect financial aid and everything, etc.... And I'm starting to doubt myself too, because I know there are some Word/Excel secrets I'm not totally familiar with, especially in the newest versions. My complaint is with myself as well as them.

So I think I'm going to just have to take this class and hope that we move past the "So You're an Elderly Time Traveler From 1985" phase sometime soon. :eng99:

I am also the only person attending the physical hour of another class (everyone else is taking the online version), and while one-on-one attention is never bad when it comes to learning, it's kind of a weird dynamic that I've never dealt with before.

Parasol Prophet has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Aug 26, 2015

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Parasol Prophet posted:

I am also the only person attending the physical hour of another class (everyone else is taking the online version), and while one-on-one attention is never bad when it comes to learning, it's kind of a weird dynamic that I've never dealt with before.

I imagine that the Industrial Data Management class I'm taking with five students total, is going to be a bit odd.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Recommended Books =/= Required Books. Don't put on the syllabus that we absolutely need to buy a book about public speaking when the class is about Digital Writing

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I better be getting some top-notch lectures this semester since, as was inevitable, all of my on-campus classes now have online components that are as extensive as purely online classes.

What's especially annoying is that these online components are scheduled really anally. When I decide to take an online class it's because I can fit it to my schedule, but with these I can't even do that.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

RagnarokZ posted:

I imagine that the Industrial Data Management class I'm taking with five students total, is going to be a bit odd.

I did have one last quarter that was just me and one other student-- plus 15 online-only students-- and that was... odd, but at least there was another person to compare answers and experiences with. (And be called on 50% of the time.) Not that I want to nose into people's grades or anything, but it's kind of nice being able to think "Oh, Becky didn't know what to do with the homework either! Thank goodness it's not just me."

Although once or twice the professor offered to let us leave early to take that week's test at home (since the online students obviously do them open-book at home anyway), the other student left, and I felt bad for staying. Like I was keeping the professor from getting to leave early, too.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Parasol Prophet posted:

So I think I'm going to just have to take this class and hope that we move past the "So You're an Elderly Time Traveler From 1985" phase sometime soon. :eng99:

You would be surprised how many students in the 18 - 25 age group are really really bad with computers and don't actually know anything about them.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

A cop bitched at me today to stop riding my bike through the quad. It's funny because this is literally the only time I will see these uniformed officers outside of their cars for the rest of the year.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't own a car so living on campus or as close to it as possible is pretty important to me, and in a challenging program that I'm pushing to finish in 4 years I want to live as close to my classes as possible. I had applied to live somewhere on campus where I'd hopefully be able to just focus on getting past my senior year of this awful degree and just loving move on. Application accepted in april or some poo poo, housing contract signed, great. It was the newest building on campus and pretty nice, and only for engineering/computer science majors so there's no danger of business students being obnoxious or whatever. In july I got suspicious that I hadn't heard anything since then and emailed them just to make sure there were no problems, and they basically said "whuh? You were supposed to live here?" So something or other had gotten hosed up and they had apparently completely lost any record that I was supposed to live there, even though I had gone through the entire process and gotten confirmation when I signed the contract. Of course they were full at that point, so they stuck me in a really old and crappy university-owned apartment in a much worse location, since that was all that was left. It was too late to get any non-university-owned apartment close to campus that would have been much better, so that's where I'm stuck for the year.

Not too terrible compared to a lot of the lovely university stuff in this thread (I'm still reading on page 15 or so) but it's going to make this whole year a little bit worse and harder in a lot of small ways that shouldn't have been necessary, and this is my hardest semester by far so it's makin me real mad. What's annoying me more right now though is the internet here, which wouldn't be an issue if I was living on campus as intended because the university's internet itself is actually really good. But because this university is the only worthwhile thing in an otherwise worthless city, the primary internet company is godawful and apparently only survives off of holding monopolies on areas too unimportant to be serviced by better companies (I just looked up their reviews and it's 1-stars almost across the board). Almost everyone reports it randomly dropping and the company itself being rude, racist and otherwise completely unhelpful.

I'm a big dumb baby so the biggest reason this is bothering me is because I can't broadcast games to twitch in my now super limited free time, because the upload speed is randomly dropping from the advertised 5mb to 0.2mb or less. It just bugs me that I wouldn't have this issue if the university hadn't hosed up my housing.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
maybe now you can use your college free time to get shitfaced like the rest of us :)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Textbook list goes up two weeks before class starts. Fine. $500.

Textbook list half changed first day of classes. Not loving cool. Out another $250.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

Textbook list goes up two weeks before class starts. Fine. $500.

Textbook list half changed first day of classes. Not loving cool. Out another $250.

Reminds me of the time I went back to art school for the second time. There's always really specific colours of paints and brushes you have to buy so everyone learning how to paint with X medium won't have to fight with the materials. One dumb rear end in a top hat coming out of highschool at 17 starts flooding the facebook groups/mailing list that we need to buy a huge list of different kinds of colours because her friend (who isn't even in the same program) said she needed to.

First day of classes come and people who have dropped 200$ on paints now have to go out and drop another 200$ because it was the wrong medium AND colours. They even got the type of paper wrong. It's one thing for the teacher to pull this poo poo, it's another for students to be so stupid they trust another student who hasn't even started the program yet.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think my new calculus prof is a goon.

I've taken two lectures with him so far. Both times he was wearing a pea-green t-shirt like the one in dad gay. so what's avatar, complete with sweat stains. He's also short, fat, given to cursing, makes constant snorting noises while speaking, and has a face that sorta resembles Aatrek's.

He seems like an alright guy, and his lectures are... interesting so far (I haven't wanted to fall asleep in one yet, at least), but his goonish aspects are a bit off-putting. We'll see how the rest of this year goes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
OK registrar, when I put in the paperwork to drop a minor that doesn't mean drop other things too and when I put the paperwork in to actually put those things back on would it kill you to actually, you know, put them back on? I'm graduating soon and would very much like to have my fancy papers nobody will ever actually look at say the things that they should.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I think my new calculus prof is a goon.

I've taken two lectures with him so far. Both times he was wearing a pea-green t-shirt like the one in dad gay. so what's avatar, complete with sweat stains. He's also short, fat, given to cursing, makes constant snorting noises while speaking, and has a face that sorta resembles Aatrek's.

He seems like an alright guy, and his lectures are... interesting so far (I haven't wanted to fall asleep in one yet, at least), but his goonish aspects are a bit off-putting. We'll see how the rest of this year goes.

Back when I was in art school (like 16 years ago) I remember having to go to the supplies store at least once a week because all of the teachers kept revising their lessons. It was seriously infuriating because I was making like $90-$110 per 2 week paycheque at the time and could not afford to buy new paints and markers every few days. I'm glad I flunked out for not doing what I was told. The garbage they wanted me to draw was stupid anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Bloopsy posted:

Do you not receive 100% benefits? Chapter 33 or post 9/11? I've used the post 9/11 at two schools and have ran into issues with the VA not paying on time and at both schools I was told not to worry about anything since the school would eventually get their money. I was even allowed to charge all of my books to my tuition when I didn't get my book stipend on time either. Going to school on the GI Bill, Yellow Ribbon even, has been an absolute stress free breeze.

Post 9/11, 100%.

Richard Bong posted:

Go to your schools vets office. I used to work in one and we would regularly put a hold on payment nonsense until the VA sorted it's stuff out as long as you had a certificate of eligibility. Hell they let me do it with just a DD214 when I first started.

Did this, this is where the director or whatever told me and three other people to take out emergency loans until it could get taken care of and they couldn't send a letter to the school or sign anything to let them know we were good for tuition even though I had my letter of eligibility in my hand. This from a university that proclaims they are one of the top veteran friendly schools in the country. Hope this poo poo gets sorted out soon since I also had to drop a $500 deductible on my motorcycle because some rear end in a top hat ran over it in the parking lot of my apartment complex and I cut my hours at work since I'm going to school three days a week this semester.

• Locked thread