Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I had to drop my car off at the shop. :cry: Wanted to get in on some cheap DIS but guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SCTY is getting overbought by the algos. If I could, I would buy some puts on it right now.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I will guess that this is a tech bull trap with a drop soon.

Probably wrong but if I am correct I can :smug: quote.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I should have bought nflx under 100. Instead, I ate cereal and took a nap. :negative:

I managed to pick up a few options near the open, now up 400% on them. :laffo:

I was sweating bullets during that first half hour changing my orders and trying to get fills.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

cowofwar posted:

I will guess that this is a tech bull trap with a drop soon.

Probably wrong but if I am correct I can :smug: quote.

Quotes without money risked is cheap talk!

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Josh Lyman posted:

I should have bought nflx under 100. Instead, I ate cereal and took a nap. :negative:

Yeah, I'm really rethinking my bagel and coffee trip.

Oh well, at least this plunge is done.. Now it's time for the next one!

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

SCTY is getting overbought by the algos. If I could, I would buy some puts on it right now.

do you ever make a real trade?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I'm not a tax advisor but y'all should look into electing mark-to-market before the deadline if you trade a lot.

Wash sale rules on nontrader tax is the dumbest poo poo and can make you pay taxes on capital gains even if you lost money.

As always, talk to a real advisor to see if you're eligible, might have to ask a few people because I think tradertax guys are pretty uncommon.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 24, 2015

jaik3n
Sep 18, 2009
So is this just a short term rally? Or is now a good time to buy into dis and aapl for the longer haul?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What sort of recourse is there if your brokerage failed to execute a bunch of orders today? I wasn't trading but I see several of you seem to have gotten badly burned by being unable to execute (or in one case even log in). What the gently caress good is a brokerage if their poo poo breaks down during the most critical hour of trading all year?

jaik3n posted:

So is this just a short term rally?

The trillion dollar question.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

What sort of recourse is there if your brokerage failed to execute a bunch of orders today?

Not much recourse. Find a better broker.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

jaik3n posted:

So is this just a short term rally? Or is now a good time to buy into dis and aapl for the longer haul?

I think this is a dead cat bounce aapl is big on middle class in China who are in the process of getting hosed bad.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I think we will see some multiple dead cat bounces before we settle a bit lower from current.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

MrBigglesworth posted:

I think we will see some multiple dead cat bounces before we settle a bit lower from current.

Yeah I'm not entirely sure why anyone is buying at this point.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Arkane posted:

do you ever make a real trade?
I have 15 trades YTD so... no, not really.

edit: I expect the market to be down over the next month so I'm edging back into a SPXS position (3x short S&P500)

edit2: Also put in a 1/4 position limit order for NFLX at 100.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 24, 2015

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

What sort of recourse is there if your brokerage failed to execute a bunch of orders today? I wasn't trading but I see several of you seem to have gotten badly burned by being unable to execute (or in one case even log in). What the gently caress good is a brokerage if their poo poo breaks down during the most critical hour of trading all year?

The trillion dollar question.

My orders for AAPL were filled at $95 for my own account as well as my dad's and they were both done via discount retail brokers. Those limit orders were placed 3 or 4 days ago though. If most people in this thread are traders and making a limit order 3 or 4 days in advance is impossible, maybe that should tell you something about how you invest. Or maybe stop trying to trade via retail platforms.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Torpor posted:

Waiting till at least September 17th here.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

INTERN, WITNESS ME.

*sprints to the trading floor with buy orders for TSLA*

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Yeah, that's the CSCO I remember.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Hey guys, remember disgruntledtrader.jpg!

its like its 2008 all over again!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Oh I guess the slaughter deals deals deals are back on again.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Torpor posted:

If you like the prices and are still largely confident in the world economy I don't see why not.

Still, after a day like today (and there's still an hour to go!) I can understand why people might be a little gun shy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mrmcd posted:

Oh I guess the slaughter deals deals deals are back on again.
AAPL is still above 100! :patriot:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Agronox posted:

If you like the prices and are still largely confident in the world economy I don't see why not.

Still, after a day like today (and there's still an hour to go!) I can understand why people might be a little gun shy.
Yeah, I liked NFLX at 95 but didn't pull the trigger. I still liked it at 105 but just wanted better timing.

That better timing is now.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I have set 2% trailing stop buy orders for 50 shares each of DIS and NFLX. Let's see how I screw this up!

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Until you have an answer for "People are taking their money out of the stock market and putting it in X" then every dump is likely to have a corresponding bounce eventually.

The money has to go and stay gone, and I don't see people pulling out to accept sub-1% / year in the bond market.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Agronox posted:

I was more referring to after the crazy morning. It seemed odd to have the market move back to unchanged. Things are going south again! After getting a couple deals this morning I'm holding off for s&p 500 around 1200.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Until you have an answer for "People are taking their money out of the stock market and putting it in X" then every dump is likely to have a corresponding bounce eventually.

The money has to go and stay gone, and I don't see people pulling out to accept sub-1% / year in the bond market.
You can get 5-6% tax adjusted yield in muni market funds if you make above 250k/yr, and there's no inflation. If you're terrified of the stock market, sitting in cash + low risk bonds throwing off a few safe % might make a ton of sense. The thing keeping a lid on flight to "safety" (imho) is the fear about what will happen when the fed raises the rate (my predicion: jack poo poo, probably lower yields) -- so there's no 'safe place' for anything right now other than maybe cash.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Torpor posted:

I was more referring to after the crazy morning. It seemed odd to have the market move back to unchanged. Things are going south again! After getting a couple deals this morning I'm holding off for s&p 500 around 1200.

:what:

Even if you believe in the narrative of people overpaying for US equities because of magical thinking about Chinese iWatch customers that's nowhere near the economic catastrophe that would justify a 40% drop in stock prices.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Woo Netflix filled at $97.70

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Final bets! Calling final bets!

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
hahaha

I had to wait an extra week for my money to clear in my brokerage because it was a huge transfer

i think that saved me like $5k.

What should I buy today?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

Guess -4% drop Monday, level out Tuesday and Wednesday with a micro rally on Thursday.

Never try and time the market.

VendaGoat posted:

Look at this loving idiot.

Nope, look at how dumb this motherfucker is, right, here. Dumbass!

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Sparta posted:

hahaha

I had to wait an extra week for my money to clear in my brokerage because it was a huge transfer

i think that saved me like $5k.

What should I buy today?

Coal, gentleman. The future!

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
So many of my holdings have the same Nike style swoosh mark when I view the "today" timeline...

I've not been depositing for a few months as my wife had left her job and been intentionally unemployed for the summer. Now she's at a new place making 25% more so we can go back to our DINK yuppie financial schedule. Only bad news is I didn't deposit early enough today so I won't have the funds until tomorrow.

I really feel like there should be an image macro of Morpheus holding the red and blue pills, but each one is labeled "BTFD".

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Well my portfolio beat my benchmark... if that means anything

lots of high dividend yields out there based upon sustainable cash flows. Kind of makes you wonder if a 4-5% dividend on a blue chip is worth taking even if the market is volatile.

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
this crash has moved AHT down to 7.38 which gives it a p/e of 3.7 which is absurdly low, even for a reit

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

An update on my trade from last night (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=518#post449345236):

Happy outcome. I felt like it was a good buy--though I probably would've been making GBS threads my pants along with everyone else at 9:30 if I wasn't in a tunnel under a river--but the fact that I was able to get out at near the day's high around lunchtime was sheer luck.

It takes some, but not all, of the sting out of the (so far unrealized) losses I've accumulated over the last week.

Agronox fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 25, 2015

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

VendaGoat posted:

Waiting till at least September 17th here.

Seeing if any Shmita aftermath?

There are still 3 EST hours for today to somehow fulfill the conspiracy theory that Lucy's passport exp from "Lucy" (24.8.15) is somehow like Neo's from "The Matrix" (11.09.01)

I wish I could find someone that really believes in it to bet them right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ayekappy posted:

Seeing if any Shmita aftermath?

There are still 3 EST hours for today to somehow fulfill the conspiracy theory that Lucy's passport exp from "Lucy" (24.8.15) is somehow like Neo's from "The Matrix" (11.09.01)

I wish I could find someone that really believes in it to bet them right now.

I just want to hear what the fed says about rates.

What the gently caress are you on about?