Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geirskogul posted:

Why does everybody post good morning when I'm just getting home from work?

turn you're clock upside down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I see 3 days vacation wasn't enough for some people :v:

I am loving beat. That was a fun weekend and now it is time to sit in an air conditioned office and design wiring for cars and planes again. Ahhhh.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Vacation from my vacation please. Just wolfed down some ibuprofen.

NEAI will take a lot out of you. These are the days I am thankful for my mostly desk job.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cakefool posted:

I am going to raise so much poo poo on the phone today, as soon as the lazy bastards start work :argh: Why does no-one else start work at a reasonable 7am-ish hour like I'm used to?
I'm usually done with most of my stuff by the time everyone else shows up to work at 8:30-9 which they like. When I started I'd show up around 8:30 but it's been getting earlier and earlier, now I'm usually having breakfast at my desk by 6:30.

Adiabatic posted:

NEAI will take a lot out of you. These are the days I am thankful for my mostly desk job.

kastein posted:

I see 3 days vacation wasn't enough for some people :v:
I am loving beat. That was a fun weekend and now it is time to sit in an air conditioned office and design wiring for cars and planes again. Ahhhh.

Enourmo posted:

From the snapchat stuff I got that looked like one hell of a weekend.

Looks like I'll be spending most of the morning catching up on customer and employer online training :suicide:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Enourmo posted:

i should specify this joke only works if you're using a 24h clock face

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Do people still honestly use 12h clocks? Even some bank clocks around here are 24h.

Maybe I live in the center of a perfect storm of Hispanic, military, EMS, and internet culture.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

I was pretty much useless yesterday. Today I'm not going to be doing much.

Except researching supercharged miatas.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
My rear end is still sore from NEAI, and not for the reasons you'd think.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Bored with my Focus but don't want to get rid of it because it's so reliable/cheap. Wondering if it's worth it to upgrade the suspension and stereo to make it more enjoyable.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

angryhampster posted:

Bored with my Focus but don't want to get rid of it because it's so reliable/cheap. Wondering if it's worth it to upgrade the suspension and stereo to make it more enjoyable.

Ford Racing sells a handling package for the 2012+ Focus that's pretty decent. Ford part number M-FR3-FS

Sits a little lower with slightly more aggressive springs, bigger sways, and some performance struts and shocks.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Mine is an '08 unforunately..one of the boring years.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

angryhampster posted:

Mine is an '08 unforunately..one of the boring years.

Ford racing sells a good kit for it, same basic idea. That generation may have a bit of a crap interior but the chassis is still brilliant. If it's a manual, install suspension and love your car again.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
car im working on atm has brake squeal so bad it sounds like you're standing on the horn when you drag the brakes lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Here comes the stock crashes :getin:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

the spyder posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck you Mini/BMW. I want to curb stomp the engineer's nuts that made the harmonic damper on the 01-06 Mini Cooper S two-parts. Steel and rubber. Failure involves the rubber disintegrating and the pulley separating, grinding into the front cover and destroying everything around it when it breaks apart. This POS is going forsale the same day it's drivable again. /rage

I bought a solid aluminum one for mine before it could finish breaking apart and do all that poo poo

Just find a used one and throw it on and get rid of the car. They are huge POS unless you future proof everything, and then they are pieces of poo poo that you still have to stay on top of

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 24, 2015

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I felt great after neai so I decided to go drive 16 hours to have a burger with slow is fast and watch the sunrise at the furthest east place in the Contiguous U.S.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Ford racing sells a good kit for it, same basic idea. That generation may have a bit of a crap interior but the chassis is still brilliant. If it's a manual, install suspension and love your car again.

Aside from trying to find it used, do you know any websites that sell it? I don't see it on FRPP's site.

It's an auto..an economy-tuned auto.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i start classes at a real university in under 24 hours

anxiety level maximum

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Been there, done that, so I know how it feels.
poo poo, that was in 2001. Back then I probably had a pIII or athlon thunderbird, with a geforce 2 or 3.
Life was much simpler back then, good cheap cars were easy to find as well. I bought a bunch of cars for under $2k that go for $20-30K now. Hell you could buy a $500 datsun that could sell for $10k now.

I'd give up "smart" or mobile devices and LCDs and anything like that just to go back in time...
Just to have simple entertainment, cars in the local paper classifieds, a phone "phone".
All this new poo poo and they haven't made it any better for life's necessities. Booze, smokes, other accoutrements have got more expensive as well.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 24, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

angryhampster posted:

Aside from trying to find it used, do you know any websites that sell it? I don't see it on FRPP's site.

M-18000-ZX3B are the revised SVT struts that fit 2006-2011 models, unfortunately you can't get the full SVT kit that includes half-inch lowering springs and a stiffer RSB because they changed the diameter of the front struts from 2006 onwards and never offered a revised version of the full kit.

Ford Racing sold a stand-alone lowering spring kit (M-5560-ZX3B) but it appears to be out of production.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 24, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Spent all morning getting poo poo notarized and did budget garbage. Yay being an adult or something.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Whoever uses the santican next will be able to tell that all I ate yesterday was like 6 bowls of Capn Crunch with Crunch Berries.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looked over my finances and upcoming expenditures and figured it will be far easier to just kill myself than deal with the next year.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

Looked over my finances and upcoming expenditures and figured it will be far easier to just kill myself than deal with the next year.

This is a universal truth for anything though

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ugh, typhoon 15 (Goni?) is heading straight through my area sometime this morning and I wasn't too worried until I saw it flipped some cars in Okinawa. Can't sleep, clown will eat me typhoon will flip my car. :smith:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Rhyno posted:

Bankruptcy is easier on the system (ask Trump).
I thought I was clear when the ATO sent a letter saying they do not intend to pursue a month ago.
But they still send threatening letters, because they are absolute idiots, impossible to deal with. EG can't sort it out at all. The fact that one letter says I'm not being pursued but everything else says I am is clear proof of that. As well as me owing $5k but them claiming $20k
So looking forward to that and bankruptcy in the near future.

At least they don't deport to a slave/indentured servitude colony, or send you to a debtors prison these days.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 24, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

corn in the fridge posted:

good morning everyone i hope you all enjoyed your weekends

Can't complain. Car show, beach, dragstrip, mountain road driving, all in Southern California.
Almost don't want to go back to TX tomorrow. Almost. All my stuff is there. And my wife, I suppose.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Don't you not pay rent or something? How can you worry about finances when you're living rent-free?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fo3 posted:

At least they don't deport to a slave/indentured servitude colony, or send you to a debtors prison these days.

That's because you're already in the penal colony, ya drongo

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

This is me whenever I look at my credit card debt and realize how little money I make compared to my bills.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

angryhampster posted:

Summit I think sells it? Lmk if you can't find it and I'll look when I am at my computer next.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Coworker learned a terrible lesson this weekend :(. He was sitting at an outdoor fireplace when someone tossed in a crumpled up paper bag. Turns out there was an aerosol can in the bag and after a few minutes, it exploded, covering his upper body in flames and pelting everyone else with hot embers. He escaped with minor burns on his face, arms, and hands. Doc wants him to take a minimum of a week off to rest. I expect it to take longer, he's a slow healer. It was a complete accident, drinking was involved and I believe outdoor fireplaces are banned right now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sometimes being an electrical engineer with no children is pretty drat nice. I've accidentally saved $8k over the last few months.

Resisting the temptation to pay off my last student loan right now instead of being responsible and buying a furnace this fall. gently caress I hate debt so god drat much.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

Why does no-one else start work at a reasonable 7am-ish hour like I'm used to?

Part of me says "What? No, gently caress no, man!"

But then i remember that i usually start work between 5:30-7:30 and it's a loving pain turning up to collect or deliver and finding a loving ghost town.

Payday wooooo and not a bad week last week either. Quite releived. Still need to throw more money at the van, but i finally have some cash float in my account.

Cleared my old workshop on Saturday, was a sad day. Got a call today that everyone down that way is crying that i took the hydraulic press. Seems they're upset that i took something that was given to me and they never owned. Un-loving-lucky.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

the spyder posted:

Coworker learned a terrible lesson this weekend :(. He was sitting at an outdoor fireplace when someone tossed in a crumpled up paper bag. Turns out there was an aerosol can in the bag and after a few minutes, it exploded, covering his upper body in flames and pelting everyone else with hot embers. He escaped with minor burns on his face, arms, and hands. Doc wants him to take a minimum of a week off to rest. I expect it to take longer, he's a slow healer. It was a complete accident, drinking was involved and I believe outdoor fireplaces are banned right now.

People throwing dumb poo poo into fires annoys me so much. Having an aerosol can explode on someone is not an accident, it's someone being an idiot. Man, I would be so pissed off.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was going to ask if the lesson learned was "trust no one; become a hermit".

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Got back from the states on Saturday. Still jet lagged to gently caress, waking up at 4am despite the time zones not working that way, I think two nights on cattle class flights hosed me right up.

Had five hire cars on my trip. A Kia Forte, Nissan Altima 2.5 S, BMW 528xi, Focus Sedan (wee trip to Niagara Falls between flights) and a Vauxhall Inisgnia (Buick Regal) Diesel one way hire back from the airport

The BMW was nice, but honestly, as a BMW fanboy, kinda disappointing. Nice powertrain, but the interior and handling were uninspiring. I wouldn't kick one out of bed, but I don't see them being worth what they ask for them.

Both the Kia and Nissan had enough grunt for average cars, but poo poo transmissions and crap steering, needing constant attention to keep nicely placed on the road, not nice when you are used to sitting on the other side of the car. I was quite attached to the Altima by the end though, it the only car I had for more than a day, doing 1500 miles (34 hours behind the wheel) over 8 days going Vegas>Tahoe>SF>LA>Vegas. It coped with cruising at speed through Death Valley with the outside temp showing 50c (yes I reset the OBC to the correct units) and the air con on max.

The Focus seemed decent for a economy car, although since I mostly drove it on Canada's freeways with their crazy low speed limits its hard to tell.

To be honest I preferred the insignia's interior to everything else. The 6 speed auto with paddles (which the BMW didn't have) worked well with the diesel. Not exactly fun, but it was decent. It rode ok despite the big blingy SRI spec alloys.

Today back into my battered, poorly maintained187,000 mile 320d manual e46 it felt more sprightly than everything apart from the 5 series. It also felt better to drive than any of the newer cars, and the only one happy to cruise on a curvy dual carriageway at at speed with only two fingertips on the wheel. I spent ten minutes trying to lower my seat, before I realised it was just the low belt lines putting me off. And I could see things, the pillars were a sensible size, and it felt narrow to drive, but not claustrophobic . The aux in line didn't freak out with spotify like the MMI on the newer cars, had working air con, and a non ugly and intuitive OBC. Having a bunch of nice shiny cars on holiday was great, it convinced me I don't need to waste my money on one.

I could definitely consider myself buying a (good) automatic though, aside from the mountain roads near Tahoe I didn't miss the third pedal much.

Driving the the USA was fun, but I'll never complain about British drivers again. I expected to be cut off a lot, and lane discipline to be terrible, but to cut me off while indicating in the opposite direction? I stopped counting after the third time.

stump fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 24, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
My house will probably be sold in the next 5-7 years and it's really not motivating me to actually do anything with the place, or fix up the shop in the backyard. But at the same time, if I had a shop I could get a project car.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

MustardFacial posted:

My house will probably be sold in the next 5-7 years and it's really not motivating me to actually do anything with the place, or fix up the shop in the backyard. But at the same time, if I had a shop I could get a project car.

5-7 years is a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

spent the weekend pulling up carpet in our first house that we are moving into this week. I now remember why I stopped doing commercial flooring and started sitting at a desk for a living. I am way too sore and I am still not done. One more room to pull the carpet out of then I have to start pulling the old VCT tile and linoleum that I found under the carpet to hopefully expose the original wood floors. Then I need to get ready to start refinishing the wood floors. Owning your own house is fun!

I also went over to the future in-laws house yesterday and helped yank the engine out of the future father in-laws e36 m3 that he is rebuilding. Thank fully he had done all the hard work and pulled the front end off and disconnected everything from the motor, so it about an hour after I showed up, we had this:

ignore my ugly mug, he wanted a picture to send to the gf.

He is going a little overboard with this thing, '99 techno violet, manual vaders, ~90k original miles. It drove perfect when he picked it up and he is apparently trying to put it back to showroom condition, which I thought it was when he bought it. I am trying to convince him to do some more aggressive upgrades to the engine while its out, but I think he is only going to port/polish the head and maybe put some more aggressive cams in it.

And only 3 weeks till I start my new job and will be in SF for 2 weeks for training. And we are actually closing on our house around then. The next couple months are going to be insane.

• Locked thread