Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
In at least one of the gameplay videos, it looked like the saturation really got cranked up during explosions, especially. It also didn't look super drab the whole time like the old screenshots did, I don't think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
The drabness is a health filter from what those two recent videos showed, it's way more vibrant at full health.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Early footage was pretty drab. Looked like the very early promo shots from Fury Road. Either way, filters are always fun to muck around with. I'm curious to listen to the game's soundtrack too. The film's score was pretty fantastic.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aww man, at least in NA it looks like the GMG offers expired. Nothing in the VIP section either.

edit: Ahh, they had a 20% coupon. Not too shabby.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 21, 2015

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Kinguin has a bunch of offers on their site if you trust them.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
There's also this one posted earlier, courtesy of drunkill I think:

http://www.ozgameshop.com/pc-games/mad-max-pc-cd-key-download-for-steam

That's $22 USD. I'd be all over it but I still want to see what DRM this is going to use :ohdear:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

So it is confirmed the pc port is being worked on by the devs right?

I got an email 40% off on the pc version for GMG, but I am back at the point where I am scared of PC versions of games again.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
The PC port is being done by the Arkham Knight team during their lunch hours. Is that what you want to know?

Read back a page or two.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
So I just found this game by seeing the IGN video. It looks like a lot of fun. Narratively though I'm a bit confused - Max has always been a character who cares about survival more than anything else. Little else drives him or motivates him. I don't quite understand him being driven to basically become a raider, assaulting bases like a one man army for their treasures. Seems counter to the character in the films who merely reacts to the places he's in and the things happening there. He's the guy who gets chased, not the guy who does the chasing.

It still looks like a blast, I was just wondering if anyone else felt that way.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 22, 2015

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

echronorian posted:

So I just found this game by seeing the IGN video. It looks like a lot of fun. Narratively though I'm a bit confused - Max has always been a character who cares about survival more than anything else. Little else drives him or motivates him. I don't quite understand him being driven to basically become a raider, assaulting bases like a one man army for their treasures. Seems counter to the character in the films who merely reacts to the places he's in and the things happening there. He's the guy who gets chased, not the guy who does the chasing.

It still looks like a blast, I was just wondering if anyone else felt that way.

According to what's been shown, Max is heading for a place called the Plains of Silence. It's the only place in the world where Max can finally be free of the memories and demons that haunt him. Once Max crosses the Plains, he'll finally be at peace.

But to get there, he's going to need a really good car. Or any car, because the game begins with Max being grabbed by Scabrous Scrotus' Warboys, stripped of his shotgun and car, beaten to a pulp, and left in the desert for dead.

So the game is about assembling a car able to cross the Plains of Silence (a destination which may not exist outside of Max's traumatized mind). Everyone Max interacts with can either help him get what he needs, or is standing in his way.

Max isn't helping folks like Pinkeye or Gutgash out of pity or altruism; he's doing it because Gutgash is the only person around with access to the steel he needs to build the Magnum Opus and Pinkeye can trade food and ammo for Max's services. Chumbucket gets to ride in the back of the car because of his skills as a mechanic, not because Max was feeling lonely and wanted a wacky sidekick.

So all of Max's actions in the game are about surviving and escaping his past. Just like in the movies.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
OK, good enough for me!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Huh... I had not heard that about the plot of the game. In the film, The plains of silence are the endless dunes they are about to set off into on the bikes.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Is this set before the movie? Maybe the game's why he knows that it's worthless to cross the plains in the movie.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Is this set before the movie? Maybe the game's why he knows that it's worthless to cross the plains in the movie.

It doesn't have any direct connection to any of the movies. They've said there's plenty of references to them, but it's more of a Stories of Conan sort of thing than any direct movie involvement.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Oh, good call. That's the best way to avoid sperging out about chronologies.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Ofaloaf posted:

Oh, good call. That's the best way to avoid sperging out about chronologies.

This would be the WORST series to sperg out about chronologies. The first movie happened......and then it a mess if the others are just "This badass dude showed and saved our society while not meaning too" as a story told through the generations or if they are connected, flow, etc. Its cool the game is kind of following that trend as well.

I think the only connection to the movies is that the main bad guy is one of Immortal Joe sons.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

This is purely speculative, but it looks like they're taking a similar tack to the movies with the game in terms of how they treat the Mad Max universe: that is, every iteration of Mad Max (films, and now the game) is like a legend being retold, or mythology. Max is a legendary figure in the Wasteland. There are always the common elements: he used to be a cop, he lost his family, he's running from his demons. But that's about it.

It's nice because it means no iteration of Mad Max has to connect chronologically (or even perfectly narratively) with the others.

Again, ENTIRELY speculative. Some of the Lore/Character screens they've shown in these livestreams gave me this indication (there's a screen where your accomplishments in the wastes are literally building your "Legend" status). It sounds like the team working on all this really GETS Mad Max. Or at least that's my hope.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

TotalHell posted:

This is purely speculative, but it looks like they're taking a similar tack to the movies with the game in terms of how they treat the Mad Max universe: that is, every iteration of Mad Max (films, and now the game) is like a legend being retold, or mythology. Max is a legendary figure in the Wasteland. There are always the common elements: he used to be a cop, he lost his family, he's running from his demons. But that's about it.

It's nice because it means no iteration of Mad Max has to connect chronologically (or even perfectly narratively) with the others.

Again, ENTIRELY speculative. Some of the Lore/Character screens they've shown in these livestreams gave me this indication (there's a screen where your accomplishments in the wastes are literally building your "Legend" status). It sounds like the team working on all this really GETS Mad Max. Or at least that's my hope.

Purely speculative in the sense that the devs have specifically said this is exactly the way they're going about it, I suppose. ;)

EDIT: Seriously, though, every single interview I've seen has started off with them being asked "So where does this fit in the timeline?", to the point where they might as well write "Mad Max doesn't have a timeline" on flash cards and hold them up.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 23, 2015

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Crappy Jack posted:

Purely speculative in the sense that the devs have specifically said this is exactly the way they're going about it, I suppose. ;)

EDIT: Seriously, though, every single interview I've seen has started off with them being asked "So where does this fit in the timeline?", to the point where they might as well write "Mad Max doesn't have a timeline" on flash cards and hold them up.

Ah, good. I've watched a number of interviews, but it all sort of blurs together. This must have wormed its way into my subconscious. Glad I'm not making things up though!

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
It sounds like Max is kind of like Robin Hood. There were a bunch of stories about people doing amazing things, and over time they all became attributed to one guy who may or may not have been real. The stories kept accumulating and growing and a legend was born.

When survivors are struggling to survive the heat and the storms and the warboys, they remember the stories of Max, the solitary warrior who could survive anything this brutal world could throw at him. If Max ever really existed, it was probably never his intention to give hope to people in a hopeless situation.

Nonetheless, that's exactly what he does.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Yeah. mad max chronology is alot like conan the barbarians books. there are 1 or 2 things that are set in stone at certain points and the rest is legend and/or his random adventures.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Has there ever been an open-world Conan game? I know there's been some brawlers and the MMO, but an open-world full of fights to pick and loot to plunder as the legendary Cimmerian could be pretty cool.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Quiet Python posted:

Has there ever been an open-world Conan game? I know there's been some brawlers and the MMO, but an open-world full of fights to pick and loot to plunder as the legendary Cimmerian could be pretty cool.

No. the conan game for the 360/ps3/pc was alright. but not that. Thing is i dont know if a conan game could even be made now a days, they would probaly have to remove alot of the sexual stuff.(which to be fair was only alluded to in the original stories.) but anyway yeah that would be a cool game. loving up stygians.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Quiet Python posted:

The MMO there was probably the closest we'll have, but thanks to Funcompetence it swirled down the drain at an unsalvageable pace.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

No. the conan game for the 360/ps3/pc was alright. but not that. Thing is i dont know if a conan game could even be made now a days, they would probaly have to remove alot of the sexual stuff.(which to be fair was only alluded to in the original stories.) but anyway yeah that would be a cool game. loving up stygians.

Well, they wouldn't have to but people would whine incessantly on Twitter if they didn't.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

I still want to see what DRM this is going to use :ohdear:

It'll probably just be Steam. That's what WB mostly uses.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's Steam, and the race leaderboards will likely use the WB account you made for one of the Arkham games.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Orv posted:

It's Steam, and the race leaderboards will likely use the WB account you made for one of the Arkham games.

Unless you never played one of them =V

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
MKX and Injustice also used the WBID/WBplay system.

There is no escape from the publisher-specific "social" accounts.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Evil Canadian posted:

So it is confirmed the pc port is being worked on by the devs right?

I got an email 40% off on the pc version for GMG, but I am back at the point where I am scared of PC versions of games again.

PC version is the main version and the console versions are the ports.
You shouldn't worry too much.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

#steamgoons brings you a little over an hour of gameplay.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I've watched so much gameplay footage in the past two weeks that when I sit down at my PC at home and think "I'd like to play a game" I look for a Mad Max icon on my desktop. Then I have to remember that it isn't out yet and I've only watched other people play. :(

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Inzombiac posted:

PC version is the main version and the console versions are the ports.
You shouldn't worry too much.

I can't help but feel like we were told this before about a game (Dragon Age Inquisition?) and it turned out the console launch was fine but the PC port was bug-city.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tensokuu posted:

I can't help but feel like we were told this before about a game (Dragon Age Inquisition?) and it turned out the console launch was fine but the PC port was bug-city.

Yes but Avalanche hasn't had a bad PC port. Just Cause 1 was okay and 2 was ported excellently.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Definitely want to play this but I'm too poor to afford the pre-order so I'll wait and see what the reviews are like first.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I just found out about this today and now I'm excited. Is there an ETA for the PC port or is it more of a "Whenever it's finished" sort of thing?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I just found out about this today and now I'm excited. Is there an ETA for the PC port or is it more of a "Whenever it's finished" sort of thing?

Same release day as the console versions.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Tensokuu posted:

Inquisition also used Denuvo DRM, so that sure as hell didn't help.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Sept 1

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The only game Denuvo caused issues in was Lords of the Fallen and that was 50% the games lovely coding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

when are reviews out for this? i assume the 1st?

• Locked thread