Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Looks to me like all three are trying to rip off the Sportster, so in that sense they are competing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

notZaar posted:

Looks like it's trying to compete directly with the Bolt and the new Shadow

With about double the power of a Bolt or Shadow.

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.
Took my NC750X out on some amazing roads in the Yorkshire Dales.

mikeyio
Mar 1, 2003

Nitrox posted:

How's the suspension travel in the rear? It looks just as low as my Shadow and that poo poo is awful. Was eyeing up the Scout as potential upgrade, but feel really conflicted now. And congrats, it's a gorgeous bike. Best color too.

Seems pretty good so far. The roads around here are pretty lovely, especially around bridges, but I haven't been thrown around too much. The bigger issue is the front. It's really soft. First thing I think I'll end up doing is firming it up.
And yep, silver smoke was my only choice. Best color.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Man I can't believe it but there's a cruiser I like the look of.

My thoughts exactly!

Z3n posted:

This thing is pretty sweet. How's it ride?

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. It's stupid fast and incredibly nimble. It's also very comfortable. I've been impressed with how easy it is to dip into corners and then subsequently pull out of them. I've never cared much for cruisers but reviews said "this is the cruiser for guys that don't like cruisers" which I think sums it up pretty well. I really thought I'd miss having a sport bike, but ~200 mi in and I haven't yet.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

mikeyio posted:

It's been a bit wet and windy out the past couple days, but it finally got nice enough for a long ride:

Saw one of these in this same color today by chance, looked good. The guy riding it was wearing one of those skull caps with the Bane mouth thing. He was riding behind a car going like 35 on the 405 (busy freeway in California.) I shook my head as I split past him (legal in CA.)

I hope that wasn't you mikeyio.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
We saw a pair of new Scouts when we were traveling last week. They're pretty, and I really don't care for most cruisers.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

I was riding home from work and there was a nice rainbow so I took a picture

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

notZaar posted:

Looks like it's trying to compete directly with the Bolt and the new Shadow
It costs 40% more than Bolt or Shadow and has more than twice horsepower. It's competing with 1200 Sportster and low tier Dynas. Metric cruisers are not exactly dominate the market in the US for anyone to cross shop them with Indian.

mikeyio
Mar 1, 2003

Nitramster posted:

Saw one of these in this same color today by chance, looked good. The guy riding it was wearing one of those skull caps with the Bane mouth thing. He was riding behind a car going like 35 on the 405 (busy freeway in California.) I shook my head as I split past him (legal in CA.)

I hope that wasn't you mikeyio.

Thankfully, it wasn't. Also I had no idea they made Bane mouth things. I can't say I'm surprised though.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

mikeyio posted:

Thankfully, it wasn't. Also I had no idea they made Bane mouth things. I can't say I'm surprised though.

I believe he is referring to:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
My new rider friend has that helmet :(

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

What loving even the gently caress is the loving point?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

nsaP posted:

My new rider friend has that helmet :(

That person is not your friend.

Chichevache posted:

Stormtrooper chic

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Looks cool brah.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

darth cookie posted:

That person is not your friend.

Not for long, anyway.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

EX250 Type R posted:

amazon book posted:

Helmet Head. He was just a rumor to the rough and dangerous “one-percenters”—a monstrous motorcyclist dressed all in black who rode the back roads of Little Egypt cutting off the heads of other bikers with a samurai sword. But on one terrible stormy night, Deputy Pete Fagan discovers that Helmet Head is all too real—and consumed with a fury that won't be satisfied until his demonic sword drinks its fill.
http://www.amazon.com/Helmet-Head-Mike-Baron/dp/1614751463/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440554179&sr=8-1&keywords=helmet+head+book

met the author at a comic con. got a signed copy along with tales of the bounty hunters, that old star wars book

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

darth cookie posted:

Stormtrooper chic

Everyone on the Scrambler forums loves these things for "around town." I'm sure your face can handle hitting the pavement if it's only at 40 mph, right?

This is probably the worst one:

I think I've seen thicker little league helmets.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yes but

Slavvy posted:

Looks cool brah.

What part of this poo poo do you people not understand?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Professor Wayne posted:

Everyone on the Scrambler forums loves these things for "around town." I'm sure your face can handle hitting the pavement if it's only at 40 mph, right?

I think I've seen thicker little league helmets.

Fortunately their brain damage appears to be a preexisting condition.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Yes but

What part of this poo poo do you people not understand?

None of that looked cool, brah. And I know cool. I'm kind of a bad rear end. :c00lbutt:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Professor Wayne posted:

That guy already looks like he hit the pavement face first at 40mph

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm sure your face can handle hitting the pavement if it's only at 40 mph, right?

Ask any bicyclist!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I crashed my bicycle at like 5mph (texting, lol) and tore a gently caress ton of skin off my face

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Besides, the design of those things is all wrong.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

A MIRACLE posted:

I crashed my bicycle at like 5mph (texting, lol) and tore a gently caress ton of skin off my face

I have lots of scars, some of which are from a motorcycle lowside at 20mph, but the worst is a 2" x 2" one on my ankle from falling over on my bicycle when I was 12. My foot got trapped under the bike as I slid along the sidewalk. It took months to heal.

Professor Wayne posted:

No chin, must be a goon. Dude's got a face like a drive-in movie theatre.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Gorson posted:

I have lots of scars, some of which are from a motorcycle lowside at 20mph, but the worst is a 2" x 2" one on my ankle from falling over on my bicycle when I was 12. My foot got trapped under the bike as I slid along the sidewalk. It took months to heal.

Oh cool I found a picture of my hosed up face from 2012 http://imgur.com/wiwDz

It was on halloween so everyone thought I just had a really gnarly costume :waycool:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gorson posted:

My very oldest scar is from face-planting off my mountain bike when I was like 10.

mikeyio
Mar 1, 2003

EX250 Type R posted:

Well that's one way to do it I suppose.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Well the name is older than Harley. The company hasn't existed since the 1960s. Polaris just bought the rights to the name. Or maybe they didn't have to buy it because it's so old it's public property by now.

I think they were brought back in the early to mid 00's then died, then came back just in time for the recession to kill them again. I hope they stick around this time (or at least long enough for me to buy a scout), but I'm beginning to think the Indian brand is cursed.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Polaris is huge and has deep pockets, and judging from the quality of their new Indians, I think the brand is finally back to stay.

My mom's ex husband when I was a teenager used to own a vintage Indian, it was pretty sweet.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

My very oldest scar is from face-planting off my mountain bike when I was like 10.

I have a fairly discrete scar between my eyebrows (and a mostly non-functional left eye and a crack in my skull from my left eye to my right ear) where I flew into a tree when I was seven and the go-kart me and my friend built had Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure half-way down a massive hill.

I took a lot of blows to the head as a child, and it made me the man I am today.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

Just scored this '05 KLR. My first bike. Really loving excited to go camping with this thing.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure half-way down a massive hill.

Young Marv, not satisfied with the existing 6-8 ft drop from a parking lot into an open field, adds a ramp for max air. Looks in horror at front wheel as it falls out of the forks mid-jump. Sticks the landing, but this is not a good thing on a bicycle.

T-CLOCS, kids. More handy than an aerodynamic styrofoam skull cap.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Just scored this '05 KLR. My first bike. Really loving excited to go camping with this thing.

Nice! Does anyone know how KLR seats compare to DRZ's?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Bigger and way more cushioned.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Dutymode posted:

Nice! Does anyone know how KLR seats compare to DRZ's?

Both suck.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

EX250 Type R posted:

Yup, for when you want a skullcap to look masculine, but you're a loving pussy about getting poo poo flung into your face. Crashing doesn't happen 'cause yer too badass to let it, duh.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Bigger and way more cushioned.

But one sucks harder.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

But one sucks harder.

The klr one in that case. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Newbie proof cage. Nice bike.