Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yeah it's totally scrubby because it works perfectly and doesn't require stupid bulky bullshit and building your system around item flow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Also, it makes sense.

It's the spaciest of futures, you see.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

HardDisk posted:

My setup was something like this:

code:
Input --> Refinery ores pusher -> refineries -> Refinery ingots pusher ---> Assemblers -> Components pusher -> Output
       |                                                               |
       -> Furnace ores pusher  -> furnaces -> Furnace ingots pusher ---

Yea, in my creative sandbox I've deleted my old setup and it is laid out more or less like that. On the survival server I am on, everything was hooked into a central conveyor hub and all of it was built in to the side of an asteroid. I had to figure out how to re-wire the pipes as disassembling everything and drilling new spaces inside was just too much.

GotLag posted:

Yeah it's totally scrubby because it works perfectly and doesn't require stupid bulky bullshit and building your system around item flow

Personally, I don't think scripting it is scrubby. At the time, I was still very new and I hadn't even attempted to learn the programmable/timer blocks. I just figured their had to be a way to find out how conveyors work. Now that I know how the flow works, I won't need automated sorting. It doesn't have to take any more physical space then a normal layout. From my central hub, I just had to remove the core conveyor and add a few corner tubes between the different legs. It's more or less a serial network like how HardDisk posted, but I can move any item to/from any valid container and don't have to worry that my components can't pass through my refinery filter or that placing something in the wrong spot will auto-suck it out. The only "Drain All" I needed was right after my mining/salvage dock which is just for sucking out the cargo from ships. Everything else is passively filtered.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TescoBag posted:

I've had this quite a few times

You find a solution or was it keep trying till ya get her

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

GotLag posted:

:thejoke:

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

You find a solution or was it keep trying till ya get her

Just kept trying until I got it

Tennance
Feb 8, 2013
Been using Notepad ++ for Spengies scripting, what do you guys use?

Ideally I want something with syntax highlighting, dunno if that exists.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tennance posted:

It's just c# code IIRC, so you should be able to set Notepad++ to Langauge->C->C# to get your highlighting.

I wouldn't try to use Visual Studio or anything; you'd have to like import the space engineers libraries and stuff to make it work right.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tennance posted:

It's C#, anything that supports C# will have syntax hilighting. Pretty sure this includes NP++, check to make sure it's detecting the language properly.

I use Sublime Text, but it's non-free.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

It's just c# code IIRC, so you should be able to set Notepad++ to Langauge->C->C# to get your highlighting.

I wouldn't try to use Visual Studio or anything; you'd have to like import the space engineers libraries and stuff to make it work right.

Visual Studio actually works really well, you can get syntax checking and Intellisense.

http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/guide-setting-up-visual-studio-for-programmable-block-scripting.7225319/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I bisected and dissected the Avalon in a separate World just to make sure I hadn't accidentally created any gaps between rooms or left any too-shallow points in the armor by accident. It's actually even thicker than I thought in some places.

Here's one of the dissected portions from the hacked-off left side;

Tennance posted:

I just have a .txt file with the few self-written scripts I use that aren't the Configurable LCD script.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Thanks for the inside peek at your stuff, Neddy Seagoon! :)

The DS my crew is using is pure vanilla with no mods, so seeing some of those massive gyros and thrusters is jaw-dropping. Those boosters at the back of your ship are massive!

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Anyone else on windows 10 having problems with SE? I can run the game fine, but when I exit it gets stuck on the pause screen till I ctrl-alt-del and close it from the desktop. Gfx drivers are up to date and I've tried compatibility settings and running as admin.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Working fine here on 10 pro 64bit. You might want to try Ctrl-Shift-ESc to just bring up the task manager and check event logs to see what's happening before killing the process.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jigoku San posted:

Anyone else on windows 10 having problems with SE? I can run the game fine, but when I exit it gets stuck on the pause screen till I ctrl-alt-del and close it from the desktop. Gfx drivers are up to date and I've tried compatibility settings and running as admin.

The only way I was able to fix it was to run in DX11 mode. Otherwise I had an issue where I couldn't see the menu GUI at random times, and quitting the game caused it to hang. I wasn't even able to kill the process, I ended up having to reboot.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I bisected and dissected the Avalon in a separate World just to make sure I hadn't accidentally created any gaps between rooms or left any too-shallow points in the armor by accident. It's actually even thicker than I thought in some places.

Here's one of the dissected portions from the hacked-off left side;

I just have a .txt file with the few self-written scripts I use that aren't the Configurable LCD script.

This is cool as poo poo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Splode posted:

This is cool as poo poo
I've actually made some minor changes already. The rear gyroscopes are now under the Refineries so there's room for fixing that two-layer armor stretch right below the rear ammo magazines (the Large Cargo Containers). The whole ship's also riddled with multiple redundant conveyor lines so you gotta really try to cut off the connections to the broadside guns. I also put the empty secure chamber with the forward antenna to use by stuffing it with batteries for emergency power. It won't fly well on batteries, but it'll sit still and run okay for 15-odd hours. The two projectors that aren't part of the cannons have repair blueprints, and I'm gonna move the forward one down into the antenna chamber where it'll be more secure.

XkyRauh posted:

Thanks for the inside peek at your stuff, Neddy Seagoon! :)

The DS my crew is using is pure vanilla with no mods, so seeing some of those massive gyros and thrusters is jaw-dropping. Those boosters at the back of your ship are massive!

The thrusters are Sektan's Imhotep Thrusters (which I highly recommend for big ships), and if you mean the things in Engineering they're not Gyroscopes - they're Darth Biomech's Hyperdrive, which are basically overpowered Jump Drives. The Avalon has two rows of five of them, with a jump range of something around 22,000km.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 25, 2015

Tennance
Feb 8, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

It's C#, anything that supports C# will have syntax hilighting. Pretty sure this includes NP++, check to make sure it's detecting the language properly.

I use Sublime Text, but it's non-free.

Thanks dude, I didn't know about that feature of NPP.

Making an autominer drone atm, also thinking about making a replacement for inertial stabilization, something that can be used for high speed zero G dogfighting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hacked away the Avalon Battleship, so figured I might as well do the Beluga-class Dreadnought as well.

It has no factorycell, so it's just loaded with a single welding pod, grinding pod, a remote-operated mining drone, and a general cargo pod. Stick any of the above in the back of the cargo hauler there and send it off to work. The opposite (cut off) landing pad's for a general ship-to-surface shuttle.

I really fudged some of the conveyor placements badly when I upgraded it to using the same Heavy Defense Turrets the Avalon Battleship does, so at least now I can tidy it up a little.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
These are really cool, reminds me of Incredible Cross Sections.

When I was a little kid with infinite free-time and an overactive imagination, I used to spend fuckin HOURS staring at those illustrations, and inventing little narratives about people moving around the various exposed rooms and stuff. I was a geeky little dude.

Anyway, I'm really impressed by your work, as usual, Neddy. It's really cool to be able to see the full layout of your ductwork and stuff like this. It all looks really well-organized and practical. How do shells get loaded into the Beluga's gravity cannon there? Are you just 3D-printing bullets in the chamber?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hey Neddy, do you have any guidelines when it comes to categorizing your ships?

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Shadowgate posted:

The only way I was able to fix it was to run in DX11 mode. Otherwise I had an issue where I couldn't see the menu GUI at random times, and quitting the game caused it to hang. I wasn't even able to kill the process, I ended up having to reboot.

Thanks, I tried a bunch more stuff but this worked. So with that fixed I was able to finish my ship, not as grand as Neddy's battleship but I'm mostly happy with it.

Nice big landing bay, enough room for a several fighters, utility craft or shuttles. ( I still need to sort out the connectors)

Top and scale with the red ship.

I not really satisfied with the front/bridge, but everything else I tried was worse.

Still needs paint and a name, more guns too.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Jigoku San posted:

I not really satisfied with the front/bridge, but everything else I tried was worse.

Do you have any interior room left? I think it'd look better with the bridge up on the rear where you have the antenna and gyro like some sort of space mega yacht thing

this sort of thingy:

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Hrm, the interior is pretty tall in places, but I'd still have to strip off the top and make a second deck. The antenna mast is right over the reactor room.

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Sealand

Triskelli posted:

Hi, I'm not Neddy.

What I like to use are batshit relatively simple designations used by the modern military, specifically the United States Navy, which generally go by the size, role, and weapons of the ship.
Most of my ships are comparable to the Red Ship in size with varying gently caress-tons of armor or weaponry. This isn't specifically what you asked for, but it help be better visualize and plan out things from the onset.

Here are USN Hull Classification Codes that I use for my large ships. Sometimes I swap a letter depending on the weapon system, such as my ship using Railguns.
For small ships I use the United States Tri-Service Aircraft Designation System, which has codes for even the test and prototypes.

Or, if you like using cool sounding acronyms and making up the words, the military does that all the time.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Now I think I got it. The new bridge is connected to a small room underneath that drops down to the reactor room and has a long corridor along the upper conveyor system and drops down to the front cargo area. The dual bladed front is a lot better and I kept the front bridge mostly the same, I'll probably change it to a living area.

Also I discovered the large half ramp block makes a nice ribbing effect, I tried it out on a few flat areas of the ship.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The last few posts with all the badass ship pictures makes me want to play again. Has the game been optimized at all in the last few updates? I had fun building and everything, but the fun quickly goes away when you realize that everything is really, really slow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

deadly_pudding posted:

When I was a little kid with infinite free-time and an overactive imagination, I used to spend fuckin HOURS staring at those illustrations, and inventing little narratives about people moving around the various exposed rooms and stuff. I was a geeky little dude.

Anyway, I'm really impressed by your work, as usual, Neddy. It's really cool to be able to see the full layout of your ductwork and stuff like this. It all looks really well-organized and practical. How do shells get loaded into the Beluga's gravity cannon there? Are you just 3D-printing bullets in the chamber?

I think I still have that drat book somewhere :allears:. My ships aren't anywhere near well-organized, I generally just try for a basic layout and make it up as I go along from there. Then eventually rebuild it a little lovely :v:. The cannons on both ships do indeed print their own bullets, in five different flavours.

Triskelli posted:

Mercutio Martino posted:

Hi, I'm not Neddy.

What I like to use are batshit relatively simple designations used by the modern military, specifically the United States Navy, which generally go by the size, role, and weapons of the ship.
Most of my ships are comparable to the Red Ship in size with varying gently caress-tons of armor or weaponry. This isn't specifically what you asked for, but it help be better visualize and plan out things from the onset.

Here are USN Hull Classification Codes that I use for my large ships. Sometimes I swap a letter depending on the weapon system, such as my ship using Railguns.
For small ships I use the United States Tri-Service Aircraft Designation System, which has codes for even the test and prototypes.

Or, if you like using cool sounding acronyms and making up the words, the military does that all the time.

Yup, I've been going with whatever sounds good too. Also the last part is how I named the modular W.A.S.P Starfighter and Battlewagon.

Jigoku San posted:

Thanks, I tried a bunch more stuff but this worked. So with that fixed I was able to finish my ship, not as grand as Neddy's battleship but I'm mostly happy with it.

Nice big landing bay, enough room for a several fighters, utility craft or shuttles. ( I still need to sort out the connectors)

Top and scale with the red ship.

Suggestion for the bow of your ship; A gravity cannon of your own, ripped right out of my own Battleship. Eyeballing the front of yours, I think you might just have enough space for it. You might want to slap some of the 23mm gatling turrets on your ship as well from the OKI pack though - meteors hurt.

edit: Also, what are those transparent hangar doors?

Logikv9 posted:

The last few posts with all the badass ship pictures makes me want to play again. Has the game been optimized at all in the last few updates? I had fun building and everything, but the fun quickly goes away when you realize that everything is really, really slow.

Sadly... not really. I think we're all just quietly stashing larger ships away for a rainy day a proper optimization patch.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 26, 2015

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sadly... not really. I think we're all just quietly stashing larger ships away for a rainy day a proper optimization patch.

Bleh. I remember having a capital ship with a door-equipped gravity gun and it was AWESOME until the fps crashed when i looked at it wrong

And my line of interstellar cruise ships can't have any customers lest they complain about the lag. :ohdear:

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Logikv9 posted:

And my line of interstellar cruise ships can't have any customers lest they complain about the lag. :ohdear:

But isn't that the point? Distract them from the lag with gambling and shiny things to make them stay longer, like in Vegas?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

deadly_pudding posted:

Every cross-section includes someone on the toilet (except when that's not feasible, eg the T-34)

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Yeah optimization is still needed, maybe after the big planets patch (maybe). I just stick to ships around the Red Ship's size or so. I think getting rid of the "block" mentality and adding in stuff like solid 2-4x slopes and 4x-6x beams would help large construction, with less blocks to render/deform/apply physics.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Suggestion for the bow of your ship; A gravity cannon of your own, ripped right out of my own Battleship. Eyeballing the front of yours, I think you might just have enough space for it. You might want to slap some of the 23mm gatling turrets on your ship as well from the OKI pack though - meteors hurt.

I actually tried that back when the ship was just a frame and engines. It fits but I felt it unbalanced the ship a bit, now its thicker and I got a idea to scale back the hanger and fit it in father back to make a gunship variant.

I'll be adding in the guns next, All the conduit is in place, I just need to make more exterior points for the weapons.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Mercutio Martino posted:

But isn't that the point? Distract them from the lag with gambling and shiny things to make them stay longer, like in Vegas?

People always bitch when their dice roll lags.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Logikv9 posted:

Duh, you use Slot Machines instead. That way they're all already sitting down for the Jump Drive. :rolleyes:

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Logikv9 posted:

Pump oxygen into the room to make them high.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Didn't Keen say they had to push planets back until after the multiplayer re-write because of performance and that's why the last two weeks have been bugfix/prep patches?

Also with the changes to heavy armour isn't it now viable to make a single layer of heavy blocks with ablative blast door panels or angled ribbing for capital ships? Think the wings of a tie fighter but tighter and larger to cover stuff like reactors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Verizian posted:

Didn't Keen say they had to push planets back until after the multiplayer re-write because of performance and that's why the last two weeks have been bugfix/prep patches?

No, Planets are most definitely up first. They need to be working properly before KSH can incorporate them into the new netcode.

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Mercutio Martino posted:

I'm never happy with my designs, but here is my personal cruiser before I tear it apart for the fourth time and rebuild its systems from the ground up, so I'm submitting this for feedback.
Using the U.S. Navy's hull classifications and vague notions of model numbers that this is the third incarnation, this is the Rune Breaker (DDR-903) Rail Destroyer.
Even in it's previous incarnations, the main weapons pick off enemy weapons or cockpits, the turrets tear apart anything critical, and the number of embedded decoys means they go quite long before I do in this.

A face only a mother would love~

Dat rear end

I'm a fan of transforming ships, things like the Tactical Destroyers from EVE Online, but since pistons and rotors hate anything that moves, so for aesthetic purposes the ramps are all it has, which are always extended save for pre-jump sequence, which I have yet to fully configure.

The thing I am most proud of is the cockpit itself, which allows you to fly the thing without a HUD. It has 2 screens cycling MAZ Laboratory LCD Screens (since I ran out of even irrelevant things to show,) and will display Oxygen, Current Location, Radar Readings, Damaged Blocks & Alarm Notifications, Power Readings, Jump Drive Charge, Rail Ammunition, Cargo Space, and available repair/ammunition resources. For the future it will have built in area welders and a projector to actively repair the ship during combat.

Armament: 3 Large Ship Ship Railguns w/ forward mounted camera for sniping, 1 Rail Turret set to 7500m, 3 Gatling turrets & 1 Interior Turret (off the conveyor system, used only during alarms.)
Oxygen: Vent in the cockpit area and for the Cockpit block beneath the Rail Turret, Medbay, Cyro Chamber, and Oxygen Generator
Power: 1 Small Reactor for emergency systems operation, 2 batteries set to individually cycle between recharge/semi auto every 5 seconds for the timers/programmable blocks, 1 Large Capacitor. During survival testing, even at full charge this capacitor will only give max thrust for 13 minutes, so that's a bust. I'm not a fan of proprietary fuel types, but an X20 Arc Reactor would solve all of my problems. The Radar and FTL Inhibitor are huge power draws.
Propulsion: 3 Sage Industrial Thrusters, 2 for Forward and 1 for Rear, 43 additional Armor Thrusters
Armor: Only poor people use Light Armor. 994 Heavy Armor Blocks, and has [REDACTED] Decoys embedded through the hull.
Communications: 2 Large Antennas (50km,) 1 Laser Antenna (40km,) 1 Alarm Beacon (50km,) 1 Radar (50km,) 1 Azimuth Ore Detector (5Km,) 1 FTL Inhibitor w/ range Upgrade (100km.)
Misc. Systems: Assembler w/ 4 Productivty Upgrades for ammunition, Alarms that activate point defense turrets, 3 Small Cargo Containers, 3 Programmable Blocks and Timers (Main Display, Alarm, and Damage Systems,) 1 Jump Drive (522.99Km,) Port & Starboard Navigation Lights.

Here it is. Cry Havoc.
Swapped out the Large Capacitor for an Arc Reactor and 2nd Jump Drive (toggle them to instantly warp in and out), so even I don't know how it handles in survivor.
Now that I have done this, this beast is dead. Back to the drawing board. :froggonk:

Has anyone ever used the welders inside the hull (possibly combined with a projector) to create a damage repair system?
I know the concept would take the frame rate to single digits, but I wana know if it can feasibly be done, at least for critical systems.

Mercutio Martino fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 26, 2015

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Mercutio Martino posted:

Here it is. Cry Havoc.
Swapped out the Large Capacitor for an Arc Reactor and 2nd Jump Drive (toggle them to instantly warp in and out), so even I don't know how it handles in survivor.
Now that I have done this, this beast is dead. Back to the drawing board. :froggonk:

Has anyone ever used the welders inside the hull (possibly combined with a projector) to create a damage repair system?
I know the concept would take the frame rate to single digits, but I wana know if it can feasibly be done, at least for critical systems.

I'd say yes, since to even begin building the projected ship it must be attached in some way to the projector, so I don't see why it couldn't repair itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Mercutio Martino posted:

Pump oxygen into the room to make them high.

Step 1: Integrate O2 systems into the ships (they were built pre-o2)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Duh, you use Slot Machines instead. That way they're all already sitting down for the Jump Drive. :rolleyes:

I desperately want a casino item pack now.

• Locked thread