Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

What's up with NFL gamepass this year? Doesn't seem like I can access the full version (i.e. all live game access) using Adfreetime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

tonic posted:

What's up with NFL gamepass this year? Doesn't seem like I can access the full version (i.e. all live game access) using Adfreetime?

I used it to watch a pre season game last week and it worked just fine. What exact issues are you seeing?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Preseason games are allowed live in the USA right now, which makes things weird. I signed up for the trial while VPN'ed to Brazil and could watch any of them, but as soon as i killed my VPN in an attempt to connect to my chromecast, my local team got blacked out.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I'm actually contemplating buying GamePass this year with AdFreeTime. Is it working well for others?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
How common is it for Microsoft to ban a Bing rewards account? They can't specify what i did ( cause I didn't do anything), but said I had "multiple terms of use violations" when I had around 600 points.

Edit: Asking here because I'm trying to get the whole free month of hulu plus thing.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 18, 2015

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I noticed Sony Vue is now advertising showtime for $9 a month on the ps4 store. Doing a bit of research shows that this is completely independent of a Vue core subscription. Does showtime have anything worth watching anymore considering I can already watch Dexter on Netflix?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Glass of Milk posted:

How common is it for Microsoft to ban a Bing rewards account? They can't specify what i did ( cause I didn't do anything), but said I had "multiple terms of use violations" when I had around 600 points.

Edit: Asking here because I'm trying to get the whole free month of hulu plus thing.

Look at the Get Paid to Post thread, they're banning a ton of folks.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Look at the Get Paid to Post thread, they're banning a ton of folks.

I stopped botting myself and starting doing manual garbage searches. I was getting "verify your account" things when going to my bing rewards page and the reasons stated where "maybe multiple accounts, some other thing, or possible botting".

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I don't bother with garbage searches. Just do a search for a sports team, and click on all the members.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Does anyone know why the Xfinity app on Xbox 360 is such a complete piece of poo poo? There's always a huge lag time for episodes being put up, if they get put up at all, and some channels I can watch just fine on the iPad app, like E!, tell me I don't have a subscription to watch on the 360.

With the iPad app still lacking Chromecast support, the 360 app is the only way I can get some On Demand stuff that's not on Hulu on my TV, like Rick and Morty, The Soup and Project Runway, but it's such a piece of garbage that it's rendered useless.

Who can I complain to about this? I imagine anyone I could get on the phone or through email wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about.

Edit: aaaand doing a little searching I see that the app is being removed on Sept 1st. gently caress you, Xfinity.

Brocktoon fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 20, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Brocktoon posted:

Does anyone know why the Xfinity app on Xbox 360 is such a complete piece of poo poo? There's always a huge lag time for episodes being put up, if they get put up at all, and some channels I can watch just fine on the iPad app, like E!, tell me I don't have a subscription to watch on the 360.

With the iPad app still lacking Chromecast support, the 360 app is the only way I can get some On Demand stuff that's not on Hulu on my TV, like Rick and Morty, The Soup and Project Runway, but it's such a piece of garbage that it's rendered useless.

Who can I complain to about this? I imagine anyone I could get on the phone or through email wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about.

Edit: aaaand doing a little searching I see that the app is being removed on Sept 1st. gently caress you, Xfinity.

Yeah, it used to be really good, but eh, comcast.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Brocktoon posted:

Xfinity app on Xbox 360

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a updated list of services? The OP is over three years old and I am pretty sure a lot of options have appeared since then.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
SlingTV is a thing now. It's basic cable with buffering and is kind of a huge piece of poo poo, but it gets you WatchESPN and the even-more-sports package gets you the rest of the ESPNs. SlingTV's own UI is basically like if someone sat down and said "how do I make the worst channel guide possible?" You get Disneys, Turners, Food/HGTV/Travel, and AMC/IFC for $20. Ondemand selection sucks and sometimes shows or movies end up getting blacked out for reasons of legal streaming rights.

Playstation Vue has even more channels and costs $50 and isn't available everywhere. It is also basically cable with buffering, which still sucks.

Apple keeps threatening to make the ultimate Cable With Buffering that includes your local stations, but most reports indicate that CBS, the only network left that acts like a network, is playing hardball. So they don't really have any reason to put out a new AppleTV yet. Somewhere at Apple there's an engineer who wanted to include MPEG2 decoding in the AppleTV that they probably should have listened to.

You can plug an antenna into an XBox One now and you get a pause/rewind window of 30 minutes. DVR capability coming in 2016. That'll basically make it the One True Box for cordcutters, since it will have the magic combo of live TV/DVR and the streaming services, but of course CONSOLE WARS so a large segment of the population will refuse to buy it.

AndroidTV has had mixed results - the ShieldTV is great hardware for streaming and actually supports 4K video, but despite AndroidTV's pretty-good Live Channels guide app being there it has no MPEG2 support, so your HDHomeRun won't work with it unless it's a lovely transcode model whose picture looks like garbage. The Nexus Player supports MPEG2 but only in the Android M Developer Preview, and every time they fix something they break something else. The Nexus Player is kind of a piece of poo poo.

If your wife likes E! you still need cable.

There, you're caught up.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
TiVo + antenna + Prime/and or NetFlix

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

TheScott2K posted:

SlingTV is a thing now. It's basic cable with buffering and is kind of a huge piece of poo poo, but it gets you WatchESPN and the even-more-sports package gets you the rest of the ESPNs. SlingTV's own UI is basically like if someone sat down and said "how do I make the worst channel guide possible?" You get Disneys, Turners, Food/HGTV/Travel, and AMC/IFC for $20. Ondemand selection sucks and sometimes shows or movies end up getting blacked out for reasons of legal streaming rights.

I was wondering how the Sling app looks now. Sad to hear that it's the same, and I agree with your assessment. Maybe they were trying to work around the Gemstar patents (if applicable), but that UI is atrocious. Still, if they offered Redzone like Dish does, I'd sign back up in a heartbeat.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
HBO Now is fine on my Apple TV and iPhone, but the web player can't possibly be this bad, can it? Is this some kind of joke?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Silly Burrito posted:

I was wondering how the Sling app looks now. Sad to hear that it's the same, and I agree with your assessment. Maybe they were trying to work around the Gemstar patents (if applicable), but that UI is atrocious. Still, if they offered Redzone like Dish does, I'd sign back up in a heartbeat.

I'm nearly done with my trial and won't be converting. Trying it on a FireTV and a Roku 3. I totally get internet streaming isn't perfect, probably better than most as I'm a member of the MPEG-DASH committee, and the solution they are using for Sling TV - which is also adaptive bitrate HTTP (it's an h.264 essence if you wondered) , of a different flavor - needs work. A lot. Live streaming is no easy feat (it's worth noting Sling TV is about 1-2 minutes behind the "actual" broadcasts you would see via traditional routes) but if they want this to succeed it needs to at least get close to Netflix or Prime levels, which rarely if ever buffer on my connection.

Sling TV buffers quite a bit, and worse gets "stuck" so you have to exit/stop (which on most devices means backing out of the channel as there is no "stop"). This happens across all the channels. I imagine it isn't going to get any better when Football season starts, either. Most content actually streams at 720p/stereo, topping out somewhere between 3-4.5Mbps.

The interface still isn't very good and the restrictions, which aren't all Sling TV/Dish's fault, are annoying - lack of PVR features for a service like this is just stupid and screams "we can't let you make this too compelling".

All of which is a crying shame because the ideal comes so close. I can easily picture this, with the broadcast networks and some basic PVR functions, totally taking off, even if it were a little more expensive. I imagine that is exactly what Apple is trying to do with their service (and why CBS are being dicks and holding out). In reality though, this is a science project with limited appeal.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ixian posted:

The interface still isn't very good and the restrictions, which aren't all Sling TV/Dish's fault, are annoying - lack of PVR features for a service like this is just stupid and screams "we can't let you make this too compelling".

It's actually 'we can NOT do this. literally it's in the licensing contracts' - Dish went to the mat and leveraged their lawsuits with the hopper to get what they currently have. That's why Playstation Vue turned out the way it did. Sony was trying to do a la carte by channel service for a reasonable price but they had no leverage. Same with Intel's failed TV service. It was a 'do what the content providers want or gently caress off' situation. And I doubt Apple will be able to get by them. Maybe we'll get a Sling equivalent with OTA channels for slightly more money on more devices.

With a channel like El Rey - you can pause, rewind, fast forward and see nearly all of it's programming on VOD.

I didn't have any buffering issues but I couldn't justify paying $20 a month for it. Maybe if I had some more spare cash.

Ixian posted:

Most content actually streams at 720p/stereo, topping out somewhere between 3-4.5Mbps.

It all depends on what the networks give them.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's actually 'we can NOT do this. literally it's in the licensing contracts' - Dish went to the mat and leveraged their lawsuits with the hopper to get what they currently have. That's why Playstation Vue turned out the way it did. Sony was trying to do a la carte by channel service for a reasonable price but they had no leverage. Same with Intel's failed TV service. It was a 'do what the content providers want or gently caress off' situation. And I doubt Apple will be able to get by them. Maybe we'll get a Sling equivalent with OTA channels for slightly more money on more devices.

That...is pretty much what I said? :) I know it isn't Dish's choice, certainly.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Which is 720p for the most part, but there's some down-converting going on, particularly with ESPN, which has the most variable quality of all their channels, no doubt in part related to the massive scale problems they had around March madness - it's not always done at the client end.

It's still disingenuous to claim 1080p/5.1 prominently at launch if the platform is only "technically" capable of it when virtually all of the content people are actually going to watch on it is less, whatever the reason.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Call Me Charlie posted:

With a channel like El Rey - you can pause, rewind, fast forward and see nearly all of it's programming on VOD.

I didn't have any buffering issues but I couldn't justify paying $20 a month for it. Maybe if I had some more spare cash.

Everyone who has tried this (Microsoft, Intel, etc) has failed to get reasonable terms out of the content providers, and based on past performance if Microsoft gets to a point in a project where they say "gently caress it, it's too expensive", then something is terribly wrong. :(

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Has anyone been successful in getting NFL Game Pass using a DNS service like Ad Free Time?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Has anyone had trouble with Amazon Instant Video not sharing with family members? I integrated my wife's account with mine and none of the videos are showing up for her. Under the management options I can share books or apps bit there is no option to share video, even though Amazon says you can? I tried tweeting at Amazon but the only thing they asked was if I had student or full prime (full, as far as I know).

Anyone have any insight?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Luceo posted:

Has anyone been successful in getting NFL Game Pass using a DNS service like Ad Free Time?

Last year I did just this, not sure if it will work this year.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ixian posted:

That...is pretty much what I said? :) I know it isn't Dish's choice, certainly.

Which is 720p for the most part, but there's some down-converting going on, particularly with ESPN, which has the most variable quality of all their channels, no doubt in part related to the massive scale problems they had around March madness - it's not always done at the client end.

It's still disingenuous to claim 1080p/5.1 prominently at launch if the platform is only "technically" capable of it when virtually all of the content people are actually going to watch on it is less, whatever the reason.

The ESPN feed on Sling is just the WatchESPN stream run through their 2nd round of artifacing. SlingTV is loving creaky rear end poo poo and is destined to be a historical footnote.

Still gonna pay for it to use the ESPN app during college football season, though.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Panty Saluter posted:

Has anyone had trouble with Amazon Instant Video not sharing with family members? I integrated my wife's account with mine and none of the videos are showing up for her. Under the management options I can share books or apps bit there is no option to share video, even though Amazon says you can? I tried tweeting at Amazon but the only thing they asked was if I had student or full prime (full, as far as I know).

Anyone have any insight?

I know you can't share AIV with Prime (the main person can, but sub whatevers cannot but they still free shipping and such) and if that's not what you're asking then disregard, just wanted to be sure.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Tyson Tomko posted:

I know you can't share AIV with Prime (the main person can, but sub whatevers cannot but they still free shipping and such) and if that's not what you're asking then disregard, just wanted to be sure.

I thought that changed when they changed the terms of service last month so that everyone could share video in a household (an actual household that was set up, not the shared accounts that a lot of people have.)

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Silly Burrito posted:

I thought that changed when they changed the terms of service last month so that everyone could share video in a household (an actual household that was set up, not the shared accounts that a lot of people have.)

Yeah I think that's right but I didn't think about them obviously being in the same house hah. Long day :)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Anyone try to get away from cable companies for Internet too? Freedompop seems pretty cheap, I'm wondering if it's just miserable service. Any other alternatives?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

LTE data caps and cordcutting probably aren't a good mix.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Tyson Tomko posted:

Yeah I guess that's the case but it says in several places "share instant video"...maybe they mean just on a FireTV or Kindle? Either way it's really annoying that the best method in Anno Domini 2015 to share video to buy DVDs, rip them, and curate your own storage server. I don't want more discs in my house :saddowns:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

LTE data caps and cordcutting probably aren't a good mix.

There's just no good alternatives. I guess microwave if you live in a big city.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

BigFactory posted:

There's just no good alternatives. I guess microwave if you live in a big city.

Even that is poo poo as anyone who has had to use one as a backup in their office will tell you.

So I was just about to cancel my Sling TV trial when I remembered I had a Roku 3 I hadn't used in over a year collecting dust and gave it a go on that - mostly because my brother in law swears by Sling TV and that is what he uses.

Lo and behold, same TV, same wireless network, hell same spot in my house, and for almost a week now it's been spotless. Hardly a blip, even if I am downloading something or playing a game online, channels don't freeze and change quickly, and while video quality is still variable it's usually good. In fact it's pretty much exactly what I hoped it would be.

For whatever reason the FireTV app just sucks - I tried it again and Sling TV went back to acting like poo poo (regular streaming works fine on it though). On the Roku 3 it's great. So clearly there's some work to be done on the FireTV side of things.

Just a PSA for anyone else trying Sling TV. Yes, the channel selection could be better and the PVR limitations (which aren't of their making) are irritating as hell BUT if it is reliable and functions as a "just works" way to play in the background and watch sports/HBO/AMC/whatever live event of the moment then for $20/month it beats the poo poo out of cable. I get my locals OTA and with HBO Now I have a $35/month solution (plus whatever I'd factor in for Amazon Prime streaming, but I'd probably have Prime anyway for shipping) that covers what I need for Live and streaming stuff now, legally. Much cheaper than the alternatives with Dish or UVerse and I don't pay for a ton of crap I don't want.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Ixian posted:

Even that is poo poo as anyone who has had to use one as a backup in their office will tell you.

So I was just about to cancel my Sling TV trial when I remembered I had a Roku 3 I hadn't used in over a year collecting dust and gave it a go on that - mostly because my brother in law swears by Sling TV and that is what he uses.

Lo and behold, same TV, same wireless network, hell same spot in my house, and for almost a week now it's been spotless. Hardly a blip, even if I am downloading something or playing a game online, channels don't freeze and change quickly, and while video quality is still variable it's usually good. In fact it's pretty much exactly what I hoped it would be.

For whatever reason the FireTV app just sucks - I tried it again and Sling TV went back to acting like poo poo (regular streaming works fine on it though). On the Roku 3 it's great. So clearly there's some work to be done on the FireTV side of things.

Just a PSA for anyone else trying Sling TV. Yes, the channel selection could be better and the PVR limitations (which aren't of their making) are irritating as hell BUT if it is reliable and functions as a "just works" way to play in the background and watch sports/HBO/AMC/whatever live event of the moment then for $20/month it beats the poo poo out of cable. I get my locals OTA and with HBO Now I have a $35/month solution (plus whatever I'd factor in for Amazon Prime streaming, but I'd probably have Prime anyway for shipping) that covers what I need for Live and streaming stuff now, legally. Much cheaper than the alternatives with Dish or UVerse and I don't pay for a ton of crap I don't want.

I'm probably going to do the promotion where you get 50% off a streaming device with 3 months of sling and I'm going to go with a roku 3 thanks to this post.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Ixian posted:

Then you are using a poo poo company. No reason microwave can't be as reliable as any other method of delivering internet

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm probably going to do the promotion where you get 50% off a streaming device with 3 months of sling and I'm going to go with a roku 3 thanks to this post.

Roku has gotten better since last time I used it, the UI isn't complete dogshit for many apps now (Plex in particular looks really good) and it's faster. It's no Kodi in terms of slick looks and smooth UI but for a device you can basically get for next to nothing these days it's certainly come a long way.

I like it better than the Fire TV for a lot of reasons, not the least is the UI is actually easier for people like my parents to figure out - you pick the app you want (Netflix, Prime, etc.) and then you navigate those, which are pretty well laid out. FireTV's way of shoving everything Amazon wants to promote up front and pushing other apps off to the side hurts it, I think - poo poo, it's actually easier for me to find Amazon Prime content on the Roku than it is the FireTV.

It's too bad there's no easy way to get HDHomerun on the Roku (without transcoding setups and other crap), then we'd have an all in one box. Both Emby and Plex are working on it - I think Emby might actually be further ahead on the TV side of things - so it's worth watching.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Nitr0 posted:

Then you are using a poo poo company. No reason microwave can't be as reliable as any other method of delivering internet

There are dozens of reasons why, are you kidding? The biggest being that microwave suffers from atmospheric attenuation just like other signals, they aren't magically immune. Ask any WiMAX provider what a day with heavy rain or snow is like. Make sure to check that they are still in business before you do.

In any case the original context was "alternative to cable/dsl for home internet streaming" and as the massive failure of Clear demonstrated a few years ago, there aren't any viable ones right now.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Yes of course it CAN be bad. A properly engineered licensed link should not. I only own a wireless ISP and you're babbling about WiMAX like the protocol has something to do with weather (protip: weather has more to do with what frequency you're using not the protocol on top of that frequency) but what do I know.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ixian posted:

I like it better than the Fire TV for a lot of reasons, not the least is the UI is actually easier for people like my parents to figure out - you pick the app you want (Netflix, Prime, etc.) and then you navigate those, which are pretty well laid out. FireTV's way of shoving everything Amazon wants to promote up front and pushing other apps off to the side hurts it, I think - poo poo, it's actually easier for me to find Amazon Prime content on the Roku than it is the FireTV.

Sideload Firestarter.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/themes-apps/app-root-home-launcher-replacement-app-t3118135

You still have to use to the Amazon interface to access their stuff but for everything it's great (and you can set it to launch with a double tap of the home button)

And I'd highly suggest plugging in the Fire TV to Ethernet if you can. Its wifi is a little fincky. Sliding it from one side of my desk to the other is the difference between buffering and perfect playback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Nitr0 posted:

Yes of course it CAN be bad. A properly engineered licensed link should not. I only own a wireless ISP and you're babbling about WiMAX like the protocol has something to do with weather (protip: weather has more to do with what frequency you're using not the protocol on top of that frequency) but what do I know.

Wasn't babbling about it, merely referencing it as it was relevant to the discussion of Microwave + Internet - but then, you'd know that. Like you'd also know that at 10GHz and above weather becomes a significant factor with signal attenuation. In any case this debate has gone beyond ridiculous because most people aren't buying a wireless link for their house to replace cable for streaming Netflix anytime soon whether it works perfectly or not.