Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Everyone and everything will fall into place to show off how cool and dark the tomb people are. The only question is if ainz will learn how to dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yes. But small animals were harmed in the process.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Pharohman777 posted:

WAIT! Today is a double release day! Chapter 7 and 8 of Volume six are out!
http://skythewood.blogspot.sg/2015/08/O67.html
http://skythewood.blogspot.sg/2015/08/O68.html

Skythewood Translations is great!

Thank god because nothing happened in 7 so i was worried I'd have to wait

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

For the LN I tried reading the Lizardman one and I couldnt finish. It just seemed there was a forgone conclusion and I didn't care about them lizard people.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

i like all the descriptions of the different characters gear and poo poo, since even though the author goes out of their way to make it seem really fantastic we know it's garbage level 20-40 loot in mmo terms, compared to Ainz groups stuff :allears:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

doomisland posted:

For the LN I tried reading the Lizardman one and I couldnt finish. It just seemed there was a forgone conclusion and I didn't care about them lizard people.

Alright, but then you missed that the lizardmen won.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
This is a pretty fun show. I like how they toy with the idea of power scaling in MMO's, with basic items like healing potions being viewed as god level artifacts by people in the new world.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A fun thing to remember is that the absolute strongest people revealed so far in the new world are the equivalent of around level 30ish, which is considered "Hero" level- like people who transcend what people think are the limits of humanity.

Ainz, and I think pretty much all of the floor guardians are level 100.

Level 3 magic is considered the general max that humans can cast, with freaks with unique talents and ridiculous training/items absolutely maxxing out at level 4-5.

Ainz recalls that he never casts anything below level 8 magic when he's being even remotely serious. Most of his magic using servants can sling 6 or above.

Which again really paints Ainz as ridiculously paranoid but hey.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

A fun thing to remember is that the absolute strongest people revealed so far in the new world are the equivalent of around level 30ish, which is considered "Hero" level- like people who transcend what people think are the limits of humanity.

Ainz, and I think pretty much all of the floor guardians are level 100.

Level 3 magic is considered the general max that humans can cast, with freaks with unique talents and ridiculous training/items absolutely maxxing out at level 4-5.

Ainz recalls that he never casts anything below level 8 magic when he's being even remotely serious. Most of his magic using servants can sling 6 or above.

Which again really paints Ainz as ridiculously paranoid but hey.

Well, his theory is that he might not be the only one to have been transported into this world from his old one and he wants to lure them out. Of course, he's also afraid that these low-level beings might have some kind of equipment that wasn't in Yggdrasil.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Yah, the animation didn't cover it very well, but in the original game their were 20200 "world class" items that fundamentally broke the rules of the game. Some were so powerful they could stop a full level 100 raid with a single use. Ainz guild only managed to collect 3 or 411 of them before petering out. He is mostly concerned about where the rest are and if this new world has any "world class" items that he doesn't know about.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 24, 2015

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Hagop posted:

Yah, the animation didn't cover it very well, but in the original game their were 20 "world class" items that fundamentally broke the rules of the game. Some were so powerful they could stop a full level 100 raid with a single use. Ainz guild only managed to collect 3 or 4 of them before petering out. He is mostly concerned about where the rest are and if this new world has any "world class" items that he doesn't know about.

There were 200 world items in the game, and Ainz's guild had 11 of them, according to the first book. Not sure where you're getting your information.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

darkgray posted:

There were 200 world items in the game, and Ainz's guild had 11 of them, according to the first book. Not sure where you're getting your information.

Same source just directly miss remembering the numbers.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
This show gives off a weird solipsistic feeling. Ainz is the only "human" character in a world full of low level NPC's that he only interacts with on any level because I mean, what else are you gonna do if you're trapped inside an MMO? It doesn't feel like power insertion fantasy at all because Ainz knows that pyroblasting a group of murlocs with endgame raiding gear isn't particularly impressive, and there's nobody worth showing off for anyways.

It's a pretty entertaining angle.

Kalion
Jul 23, 2004

:gifttank:
Panzer vor!

Hagop posted:

Same source just directly miss remembering the numbers.

According to the 3rd light novel there are 200 world class items, but among those 200, there are 20 of them known as "The Twenty" which are the most powerful of all of the world class items according to the translation and can only be used once before disappearing. Ainz Owl Gown apparently owns 2 of them.

Kalion fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 24, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Above Our Own posted:

It doesn't feel like power insertion fantasy at all because Ainz knows that pyroblasting a group of murlocs with endgame raiding gear isn't particularly impressive, and there's nobody worth showing off for anyways.

For me he lost too much of his humanity for it to be a self insert power fantasy. If he had retained his complete self I could see it but at the moment I sorta feel bad for him.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I hope you guys like our new protagonist, Hamsuke, the Miniature Giant Space Hamster.

Here are his stats. This is also why Ainz feels really disappointed, but what else could it be?

This is, by the by, a monster no other human could stomach facing.
(I don't know if this is a Minsc and Boo reference, it's more likely some hamster anime reference, though Hamsuke does go for the eyes)

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I think giant space hamsters were an old D&D joke even before baldurs gate.
Edit: Apparently they were from the spelljammer setting, gnomes used them as a power source for their flying ships.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 24, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The author confirmed to have played BG a lot so

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Iretep posted:

I think giant space hamsters were an old D&D joke even before baldurs gate.
Edit: Apparently they were from the spelljammer setting, gnomes used them as a power source for their flying ships.

Not exactly a joke, but a legit monster. Like the fluff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Above Our Own posted:

This show gives off a weird solipsistic feeling. Ainz is the only "human" character in a world full of low level NPC's that he only interacts with on any level because I mean, what else are you gonna do if you're trapped inside an MMO? It doesn't feel like power insertion fantasy at all because Ainz knows that pyroblasting a group of murlocs with endgame raiding gear isn't particularly impressive, and there's nobody worth showing off for anyways.

He is in a fantasy world which shares some details with the mmo, not the mmo come to life. The only (former) npcs around are Ains' underlings, and exactly what the hell they are now is still unclear. The rest of the people are just people.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think there's been a single modern trapped-in-an-MMO anime where it's not just a weakly dressed up fantasy setting. Log Horizon made it explicit that the "NPCs" were real people too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's a bit funny cause survival multiplayer games have a pretty wide swath of settings, compared to regular mmos at least. But who knows how long that will take to penetrate the creative market for writers and artists.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 24, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You can choose from a wide variety of being trapped on an island, being trapped on an island, being trapped on an island, zombie city!, medieval europe, being trapped on an island, being trapped underwater but there are islands, and also being trapped on an island but there are dinosaurs.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

every single one loving sucks

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i don't think there's been a single modern trapped-in-an-MMO anime where it's not just a weakly dressed up fantasy setting. Log Horizon made it explicit that the "NPCs" were real people too.

Sword Art Online...?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

every single one loving sucks

the one that lets you build sealabs is cool, but i have no idea if i can separate that from me just really really loving sealab 2021

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Seeeeaaaalaaaaaaab, underneath the water! Seeeeeeeaaaalaaaaaaaaaab... at the bottom... of... the seaaaa...

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
.hack had endless series and it was the most boring thing I have ever tried to read or watch

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
.hack//sign would've been great if it had just been about Sora "illegally" pking everyone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
What kind of weirdo carebear community makes ganking a taboo in a game where it is freely possible? .hack is silly.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
More than you might expect.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Sword Art Online...?

:downsgun:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Kylra posted:

More than you might expect.

Sad but true. A lot of MUDs I played were like that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

the one that lets you build sealabs is cool, but i have no idea if i can separate that from me just really really loving sealab 2021

Can I play as Hesh or what

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Can I play as Hesh or what

You'll always be Hesh, in my heart.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

You can choose from a wide variety of being trapped on an island, being trapped on an island, being trapped on an island, zombie city!, medieval europe, being trapped on an island, being trapped underwater but there are islands, and also being trapped on an island but there are dinosaurs.

An anime about getting trapped in the arma2 dayz mod, where your biggest fear is tripping over a doorway and breaking both legs

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I would watch a HATE anime, as long as it spent all the episodes on making shivs in a dingy basement.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'd watch an SoL anime where people kill off zombies as a routine thing in full body gear and equipment. The down time is them joking around and having fun when everyone else is rebuilding infrastructure.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

You'll always be Hesh, in my heart.

Hesh needs some shemales!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
this made me remember cage of eden and how badly it sucked, particularly the ending because it kept going nowhere until it got cancelled

• Locked thread