Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Doesn't matter how reputable they are. Always get the ESN and contact the provider. Even a reputable seller may have a used phone someone is still paying on and not know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Looks like the Blackberry Venice isn't going to be a "stock Android" experience like was rumoured awhile ago.

Seems like they're doing their own "secure" fork, which makes sense I suppose.

Updated video though showing the "Blackberry Productivity Suite"

http://crackberry.com/latest-blackberry-venice-slider-leaks-shows-blackberry-productivity-suite

I'd actually love The Hub, I've never come across another brand that actually does an "all in one" feed in a way that seems manageable.

[edit] Don't read the comments section though. It should go without saying that Blackberry die-hards are the worst. Look at this one sig:

"Pimp slappin iGeeks, Droinerds and Windufuses with my big white Z30"

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 24, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TollTheHounds posted:

Preinstalling a bunch of APKs doesn't make it a fork. See: every Samsung device ever.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Tunga posted:

Preinstalling a bunch of APKs doesn't make it a fork. See: every Verizon device ever.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TollTheHounds posted:

Looks like the Blackberry Venice isn't going to be a "stock Android" experience like was rumoured awhile ago.

Updated video though showing the "Blackberry Productivity Suite"

http://crackberry.com/latest-blackberry-venice-slider-leaks-shows-blackberry-productivity-suite

Preinstalling a bunch of APKs doesn't make it a fork. If it was running on some bizarre Blackberry QNX garbage then that would be a fork. But the leaks of what Android on Blackberry looks like don't show any sign of that, it just looks like Lollipop to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Verge got hands on with the Moto X Play's camera which is the same unit in the Pure/Style.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/24/9198069/moto-x-play-camera-preview

quote:

Having spent a day shooting with this new camera, I can say with certainty that this is indeed the best imaging equipment to have ever made its way inside a Moto smartphone. It's too soon to pass sound judgment on how it compares against the leaders in the field — like Samsung's Galaxy S6 series, LG's G4, and Apple's iPhone 6 — but the very fact these new Moto Xs are even in the conversation is a remarkable advance for Motorola.

Sample images are included in the article.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

TollTheHounds posted:

[edit] Don't read the comments section though. It should go without saying that Blackberry die-hards are the worst. Look at this one sig:

"Pimp slappin iGeeks, Droinerds and Windufuses with my big white Z30"

Blackberry diehards are the worst part of Blackberry.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Diehards are the worst part of anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Blackberry diehards are the worst part of Blackberry.

You know you're in a bad place when you actually have to worry about competition from Windows Phone.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Just for the record my refurb Turbo with a build date of 6 months ago has a Verizon logo on the back. Raised plastic same as the Droid logo. 64gb BN.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The Verge got hands on with the Moto X Play's camera which is the same unit in the Pure/Style.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/24/9198069/moto-x-play-camera-preview

Sample images are included in the article.

The image quality is great in these, but they are pretty great in the Turbo and Nexus 6. The problems arise with the shutter speed and the low light performance, which isn't touched on at all with these photos.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

this_is_hard posted:

The image quality is great in these, but they are pretty great in the Turbo and Nexus 6. The problems arise with the shutter speed and the low light performance, which isn't touched on at all with these photos.

There are a few low light photos in Night Mode at the bottom.

The Street Cleaner photo is one in motion and the background cars in the Key photo had to have been in motion as the light is green and no brake lights are showing.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 24, 2015

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

RVProfootballer posted:

And it has been inaccurate before, too. A phone I got off eBay maybe a year ago got blacklisted ~2 weeks after buying it, so I looked into it a bit, and people on various forums said they were currently financing their phone and the ESN checker said it was clear. Don't know if that's changed since then, but be cautious!

That happened to me despite me going with the seller to a T-Mobile store so they could verify that the phone was free to be sold.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Rastor posted:

Preinstalling a bunch of APKs doesn't make it a fork. If it was running on some bizarre Blackberry QNX garbage then that would be a fork. But the leaks of what Android on Blackberry looks like don't show any sign of that, it just looks like Lollipop to me.

Good to know! I always tended to think of a "fork" as a manufacturer-specific custom ROM of stock android (TouchWiz, Sense, etc ), so that was my confusion.

It is contrary to the previous rumours though, that the Venice would have a "stock" android experience but come pre-loaded with Blackberry apps. I suppose this isn't too far off of that though.

Now just release the drat thing already or put a hard date on it with a full spec sheet, upgrade plan, etc.

I wish they'd do the same with the Nexus, I'm getting tired of these lovely gifs and secret pictures of all these upcoming devices. At a certain point anticipation turns to boredom, and I'll start considering a Note again. :smith:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Forking is forbidden by google in order to receive Play services.

So, if it has access to Play services and Google closed source apps, it cannot be a true fork.

The line is a bit blurred when it comes to manufacturer ROMs since obviously there are changes made to the original source, but Google evaluates them internally to determine if it truly is a fork or not.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TollTheHounds posted:

Good to know! I always tended to think of a "fork" as a manufacturer-specific custom ROM of stock android (TouchWiz, Sense, etc ), so that was my confusion.
In typical nomenclature a fork is something like Amazon's Fire OS where another company takes AOSP (which is totally valid since it's open source) and releases in a form that does not comply with the CDD/CTS and does not including the various standard Google apps/services.

TollTheHounds posted:

It is contrary to the previous rumours though, that the Venice would have a "stock" android experience but come pre-loaded with Blackberry apps. I suppose this isn't too far off of that though.
The word "stock" is not very well defined in Android land. In this thread it usually means "what a Nexus runs" but in the context of random press reports about a Blackberry device running Android it could easily just mean "a device that passes the CTS".

There doesn't seem to be anything in this new info which runs contrary to the previous rumours. It's an Android device with some Blackberry apps installed. What exactly the main launcher/settings/etc. UI look like isn't known for certain yet but the screenshots we've seen all look fairly Nexus-like. If these new apps are just apps that you can open and run like any other then this doesn't change that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Forking is forbidden by google in order to receive Play services.

So, if it has access to Play services and Google closed source apps, it cannot be a true fork.

The line is a bit blurred when it comes to manufacturer ROMs since obviously there are changes made to the original source, but Google evaluates them internally to determine if it truly is a fork or not.

I don't know how much they test for forkedness, but a build has the pass the "Android Compatibility Test Suite" to be eligible for Play Services access.

You can read about it all here:

https://source.android.com/compatibility/overview.html

EDIT; well, don't leave a browser window open for twenty minutes and then respond.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think the general idea is that you can't change stuff too much and still pass the Android Compatibility Test Suite. So, it's sort of a chicken and and egg type thing.

The main differentiation of a fork is access to play services. If it's changed too much play services will break and it won't pass the test suite which will cause google to say no google closed sourced apps can be used on the device. It's an all or nothing deal.

Also, it extends to the ODM level. For example, Amazon's ODM for their fire tablets can never be the ODM for someone like Samsung or HTC. If you manufacture a single forked device, you are ineligible to manufacturer for any device that gets play services.

The thing I'm currently wondering about is if google would view Blackberry's android runtime as a "fork" and require it's removal from BB devices moving forward in order to make a device that has access to play services.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
How accurate is that though? AFAIK Foxconn was the Odm for the fire phone...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

No one's talking about how ugly the Huawei N6 is going to be and that it's going to be an 810?

I think if I was interested in a gargantuan Nexus I'd prefer the current Nexus 6.

e: I'm not a fan of power and volume buttons being on the same side like the current N6 but this one apparently is the same. :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

No one's talking about how ugly the Huawei N6 is going to be and that it's going to be an 810?

I think if I was interested in a gargantuan Nexus I'd prefer the current Nexus 6.

Good god that is atrocious looking.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

I posted a few pages ago about the same thing but I'm in the market for a Dual-Sim phone. Should I just buy a Zenfone 2 or is there something comparable and new coming out soon? Basically just looking for a quality dual-sim phone for ~$400 CAD tops

edit: This thread was going nuts over the Moto G at the time, and that seems to be cheaper with worse specs. Is the zenfone worth the difference?

Also I really liked that Motorola(?) phone with the leather back - is there a dual-sim version of the same phone available?

Robawesome fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 24, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

e: I'm not a fan of power and volume buttons being on the same side like the current N6 but this one apparently is the same. :(

Nope, no reason to worry about dumb fakes :v:

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

LastInLine posted:

The current Nexus 6 is great.

That thing is hosed up. That can't be what they're going with.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Captain Yossarian posted:

How accurate is that though? AFAIK Foxconn was the Odm for the fire phone...

Info was from here

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/3/

quote:

This makes life extremely difficult for the only company brazen enough to sell an Android fork in the west: Amazon. Since the Kindle OS counts as an incompatible version of Android, no major OEM is allowed to produce the Kindle Fire for Amazon. So when Amazon goes shopping for a manufacturer for its next tablet, it has to immediately cross Acer, Asus, Dell, Foxconn, Fujitsu, HTC, Huawei, Kyocera, Lenovo, LG, Motorola, NEC, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba, and ZTE off the list. Currently, Amazon contracts Kindle manufacturing out to Quanta Computer, a company primarily known for making laptops. Amazon probably doesn't have many other choices.

pdadb.net claims the Fire Phone was also built by Quanta.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=6372&view=1&c=amazon_fire_phone_lte_64gb

This, incidentally, is also why the Nook family of products got Play Services awhile back. Since Barnes and Noble was shifting to Samsung tablets for their next generation of products, they needed a Google blessed ROM on their Nook tablets to enable that partnership. If they continued with an Android fork on the Nook tablets, Samsung wouldn't have been able to do business with them.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 25, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Interesting, Wikipedia says Foxconn...

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Google is really digging at the bottom of the barrel by partnering with Huawei on a Nexus.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I always though that making Huawei build the next Nexus gave Google a bit of leverage. The brand gets a foothold in the American market with a phone that people will actually buy (because Nexus), and Google gets favourable pricing/more control over hardware design(?)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I don't know if lil' ol' Huawei is ready to shoulder the burden of the mighty Nexus brand

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Well everyone barks that they want to see something different. No ordinary rectangle slab that gets blasted by internet geeks "THAT is the new model? We expected SO much more. PASS!"

Huawei went "ok, different design coming right up!" and is getting trashed from a mere rumor. Release day is gonna be ugly.

And for the record, it is ugly. Welcome to the mainstream internet jury world Huawei! You will be judged.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Logikv9 posted:

The brand gets a foothold in the American market with a phone that people will actually buy (because Nexus)

So, new to the Nexus program I see.

I'm sure it is about cost though. Google got a lot of flack over N6 pricing, so I'm sure part of this is a move to bring phablet pricing down to more Nexus like levels.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Are the current Huawei devices any good? I know nothing about the brand.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Logikv9 posted:

a phone that people will actually buy (because Nexus),
Huawei already sells more phones than Google ever has. Even if it sells in N5 numbers (best selling Nexus), it wouldn't be a huge increases for them.

To put it in perspective, EVERY NEXUS EVER has sold about as much as one variant of the Galaxy S III.

EDIT: Granted, this is global, but point remains. Nexus phones aren't big sellers by any stretch.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I have an app that will not uninstall, when I try and uninstall it I just get a screen with the app logo on it and nothing happens.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

To put it in perspective, EVERY NEXUS EVER has sold about as much as one variant of the Galaxy S III.

Christ, even Asus of all brands has sold more than Google. That really puts it in perspective.

And people say Samsung is dying, ha

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Porkchop Express posted:

I have an app that will not uninstall, when I try and uninstall it I just get a screen with the app logo on it and nothing happens.

We're going to need more to go on, like the device and the app names.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

LastInLine posted:

We're going to need more to go on, like the device and the app names.

LG G4 and the two apps it seems to be happening with are Fling and Glitchr. Neither one of them will uninstall.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are the current Huawei devices any good? I know nothing about the brand.

I have an Ascend Mate 2 and it's the best phone I've ever owned. 10+ hours of screen on time using LTE is nothing to sneeze at either.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

bull3964 posted:

So, new to the Nexus program I see.

I'm sure it is about cost though. Google got a lot of flack over N6 pricing, so I'm sure part of this is a move to bring phablet pricing down to more Nexus like levels.

I had a N1 and a Gnex (I'm required to say "gently caress the galaxy nexus" whenever I mention it), but okay. If Huawei released the P8 in America without a corresponding media blitz/ad buy, most people will legitimately go "what's a hua-way?" Going under Google allows them to have a brand that is recognizable. Sure, they won't sell poo poo but it'll introduce at least some consumers to the brand outside no-contract purchases and prepaid nonsense. You already saw Google trying to push Nexus mainstream by going the carrier/high price route with the N6.

Endless Mike posted:

Huawei already sells more phones than Google ever has. Even if it sells in N5 numbers (best selling Nexus), it wouldn't be a huge increases for them.

EDIT: Granted, this is global, but point remains. Nexus phones aren't big sellers by any stretch.

But it's a new-ish market for them. Sure, they are big names in China and sell fucktons of phones non-stop everyday, but it's a jump for them to go from China where cost is king to America, where the prevalent line of thinking is China built = bad!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those looking at the LG G4, it looks like the international version can be had NEW on eBayfor $420.

Great deal but the downside (from what I understand) is that there isn't a warranty on the international versions.