Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, why did they find him face-up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Parallax posted:

Not being pervy, the way Haruhi fiddles with her bra is really good character animation

It's also a really nice touch of character development, considering the chronological events

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Whoop!

Did Haruhi just destroy the world there?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The sexual/romantic tension as they were drying off was presented amazingly well.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Uh oh. Haruhi's hurt her self-esteem. Seems dangerous.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Whoop!

Did Haruhi just destroy the world there?

That's the most ambiguous moment in the series I think. I still don't know what exactly happens. But notice how quickly the color palette changes back.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh gently caress.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

That music ftw

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Speaking of romantic tension

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...What is happening?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Nagato Yuki, Queen of Semantics.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Goddamnit Itsuki why are you still smiling.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Parallax posted:

Speaking of romantic tension

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I love how this plays out.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...BOOOO.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Haruhi in the belly shirt is powerful

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...So I wonder if this was always a hoax, or if Haruhi freaked out and unwrote an actual murder after things went balls-up?

Also, nice Phoenix Wright reference.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

And now, the obvious reference.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

...So I wonder if this was always a hoax, or if Haruhi freaked out and unwrote an actual murder after things went balls-up?

Also, nice Phoenix Wright reference.

My thought has always been the latter. At least that's more interesting.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hah. That 'cornered' music sting also shared a little bit of an audio motif with the Case Closed theme. Cute.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...What? Mole?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Kyon's mole is good

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Wait, how were the carrots relevant?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...That was fascinating.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

I don't think any of it was

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also this is the first time I've watched Haruhi again since playing a Phoenix Wright game and good lord they just rip a lot of animation off wholesale Hhaha.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I watched these earlier

In Training posted:

That's the most ambiguous moment in the series I think. I still don't know what exactly happens. But notice how quickly the color palette changes back.

Trinity: they've changed something

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

In Training posted:

Also this is the first time I've watched Haruhi again since playing a Phoenix Wright game and good lord they just rip a lot of animation off wholesale Hhaha.

I like how they build to it, though. I started off just going "...Wait. The way Haruhi's standing and the way that table frames the shot...is that...?" for a good second or two before they straight up started using more and more straight Phoenix Wright poses.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 25, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

I like how they build to it, though. I started off just going "...Wait. The way haruhi's standing and the way that table frames the shot...is that...?" for a good second or two before they straight up started using more and more straight Phoenix Wright poses.

Itsuiki doing the "you got me shrug" was icing on the cake.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

Going back to part 1, the guy never finished the carrots.
So that's something I guess.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

In Training posted:

My thought has always been the latter. At least that's more interesting.

Don't read if you haven't seen the series once before

It makes more sense for it to have been Kyon, though, right? He's the one who would essentially have a logical explanation for Koizumi creating a murder mystery so Haruhi wouldn't "create" one herself.... right?

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Okay apparently my memory erased everything but the actual plot ending, and forgot the hilarious Phoenix Wright stuff and how adorable this ending is. This owns.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also, there's no way that Haruhi's little freak out didn't change something about the case, but what's weird to me is that the most natural sequence of events, just going by dialogue and delivery, is that Kyon eventually susses out that he (and Koizumi) are accidental murderers and loses his poo poo in a fit of angst, possibly killing Koizumi, and then Haruhi freaks out and rewrites things so that her friends aren't murderers/dead. And yet, the more obvious warping effect/Haruhi freak out is in the cave well before Kyon figures it out. Interesting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Parallax posted:

Don't read if you haven't seen the series once before

It makes more sense for it to have been Kyon, though, right? He's the one who would essentially have a logical explanation for Koizumi creating a murder mystery so Haruhi wouldn't "create" one herself.... right?

Yes, but I think all the "evidence" pointed to is a lot of harmless coincidences that Haruhi uses in her mind to build some ultra-specific case breaking fantasy, a reality she creates in the cave once she realizes a murder has actually taken place. It's possible this happened, and the existence of the rogue shadow is disconcerting as well. I've also never really ascribed to the idea that Kyon is actually the one with power in the series.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also sorry all but I won't be making a huge gif post tonight...

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I haven't had a chance to post this in a long, long time.

DESU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, there's no way that Haruhi's little freak out didn't change something about the case, but what's weird to me is that the most natural sequence of events, just going by dialogue and delivery, is that Kyon eventually susses out that he (and Koizumi) are accidental murderers and loses his poo poo in a fit of angst, possibly killing Koizumi, and then Haruhi freaks out and rewrites things so that her friends aren't murderers/dead. And yet, the more obvious warping effect/Haruhi freak out is in the cave well before Kyon figures it out. Interesting.

There's a huge shift in atmosphere after Haruhi goes through the facts in the cave. If reality actually changed, it feels to me like it would have been then and not later.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

What re the best image uploader alternative... imgur isnt working!!!!!!!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

In Training posted:

I've also never really ascribed to the idea that Kyon is actually the one with power in the series.

I never did either, but this rewatch is challenging that for me. A detail that stuck out to me this time in Mysterique Sign is that the symbol does nothing until Kyon resizes it. In general, it seems like he has a more direct role in things than the observer role he likes to pretend to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I never did either, but this rewatch is challenging that for me. A detail that stuck out to me this time in Mysterique Sign is that the symbol does nothing until Kyon resizes it. In general, it seems like he has a more direct role in things than the observer role he likes to pretend to.

I think his influence is not in any way supernatural, but rather the way his presence and interaction with Haruhi is influencing her to change the world. It's the same with Island Mystery, in that if Haruhi did, in fact, rewrite reality, she wasn't compelled to until her conversation with Kyon compelled her to.

Linnaeus posted:

What re the best image uploader alternative... imgur isnt working!!!!!!!

cubeupload is a good alternative.

Command Ant fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 25, 2015

• Locked thread