Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Props for the self awareness, guy.

Pretty rare trait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lolling at having 100k in the bank instead of in index funds.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Having a lot of cash in hand right now is kind of a good idea.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

yeah so you can somehow time the market and know when it's hit the real bottom.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Good enough for a large majority of businesses good enough for me.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

How do people have money to invest, I only have 900$ in the bank, 5k in debt for spending money stupidly I didn't have and probably 8k more in debt when I graduate and I still haven't managed to begin my career yet. :smith:

:emptyquote:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 12, 2018

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

etalian posted:

yeah so you can somehow time the market and know when it's hit the real bottom.
So perfect timing is impossible but buying after there have been some large declines and then holding for a while, possibly a long while, until prices go back up and then selling isn't a bad move financially speaking. This is admittedly still a pretty hard thing to do if for no other reason that you have to have a still fairly large amount of cash on hand to buy the stocks and then wait out any possibly worse declines and then wait for prices to rebound.

Basically only the rich or at least fairly well off have a decent chance of pulling it off.

edit:\/\/\/\/\/\/You don't have to predict the future either to recognize that maybe stocks or housing are in a boom/bubble and you should get out while you can. The problem with that is of course you need a strong self control to manage your money like that and few can pull it off. Especially during a bubble when everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 25, 2015

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Waiting is a bad strategy as is dollar cost averaging. Since he couldn't predict the future, it was, rationally, a mistake to not have invested that money already etc.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

So perfect timing is impossible but buying after there have been some large declines and then holding for a while, possibly a long while, until prices go back up and then selling isn't a bad move financially speaking. This is admittedly still a pretty hard thing to do if for no other reason that you have to have a still fairly large amount of cash on hand to buy the stocks and then wait out any possibly worse declines and then wait for prices to rebound.

Basically only the rich or at least fairly well off have a decent chance of pulling it off.

It doesn't really work that way. Money sitting in cash is losing out period. If you think you know what the market will do you go long or you go short.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Unless you're sitting so long on your cash that inflation starts to be a major factor, which usually means a fair amount of years, you're not really 'losing out' though. No potential gain is worth as much as actual money in your hand. Shorting bubbles is also fairly risky and going long on a market while you believe its mid-bubble doesn't make sense really.

edit:\/\/\/\/\/Well sure but I didn't think we were talking about investing in index funds per se?

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 25, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Unless you're sitting so long on your cash that inflation starts to be a major factor, which usually means a fair amount of years, you're not really 'losing out' though. No potential gain is worth as much as actual money in your hand. Shorting bubbles is also fairly risky and going long on a market while you believe its mid-bubble doesn't make sense really.

It makes perfect sense unless you're planning to retire within the next 10 years. Someone who continually invests in an index fund isn't impacted in the same ways as someone who tries to time the market and buys in lump sums.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

A big reason why once you get to a certain level making money playing the markets and investments game is easier is simply the fact that once a loss stops being a life devastating thing its easier to rationnally weigh a risk and take it in stride.

The less easy it is to absorb risk, the more adverse people become to it, to the point where even a very stable but overall mediocre performing index fund might even scare people away if they don't already have money in the game and the markets are doing what they're doing these days.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

jet sanchEz posted:

How's the TTC's pension plan?

They're considering merging with OMERS, which is probably a good thing.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

edit:\/\/\/\/\/\/You don't have to predict the future either to recognize that maybe stocks or housing are in a boom/bubble and you should get out while you can. The problem with that is of course you need a strong self control to manage your money like that and few can pull it off. Especially during a bubble when everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon.

You can't buy at the perfect time, and you can't sell at a perfect time.

I started DIY investing a year ago, and sure, if I'd waited until now to invest, given the latest downturn, I wouldn't be that much worse off. But if I had invested 3-4 months ago, it'd be lovely as hell. I'd have bought extremely high and be way down right now.

Even though some the gains I made over the past year disappeared this week, if I hadn't made those gains I'd be that much worse off.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 25, 2015

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

So when does this poo poo crater? I actually do have an amount of cash on hand. Mostly because I've been too lazy to go invest it, granted...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Albino Squirrel posted:

So when does this poo poo crater? I actually do have an amount of cash on hand. Mostly because I've been too lazy to go invest it, granted...

You are looking for a market with all the upsides and none of the risk. Try real estate.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Albino Squirrel posted:

Free advice: wait until blue chips hit 52w lows, then buy and hold until you retire. Look for blue chips with dividends, and reinvest the dividend into more stock.

I'm not a financial planner or anything but this is investments 101.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not even going to check on my investments, investments are long term deals I only care how they'll look in 20-30 years from now.

I'm really horrible at looking at my investments at anything other then long term, which is an issue sometimes.

I only lost like 20k yesterday, which I seemed to have gained back today.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

VANCOUVER -- The first six months of last year saw record levels for building permits being issued in Vancouver, but this year’s total has eclipsed that by almost 20 per cent.

Last year, the value of building permits issued until July 1 was a record setting $1.12 billion. This year’s total to July 1 is $1.34 billion.

Much of the building activity is in the development of new office space in the downtown core, but there are also seven major projects underway elsewhere in the city. Among those being built are: The Exchange at 819 West Pender (305,000 square feet); the Renfrew Business Centre at 2665 Renfrew Street (480,000 square feet with the 170,000-square-foot first phase under construction); and Marine Gateway at 400 Southwest Marine Drive (269,000 square feet).

Another 14 projects have been approved with a total of 3,592,400 square feet of office space for development.

A total of 4.5 million square feet of new office space is presently under development in the city.

Brian Jackson, the city’s general manager of planning and development said it wasn’t just commercial development fuelling the record levels of building activity.

“This is Vancouver firing on all cylinders. It’s everything from laneway houses to mid-rise development, to rental housing that are getting under construction now, to highrise residential projects. It’s office development like we haven’t seen in decades, it’s industrial development such as at the Renfrew industrial park — it’s in all sectors of the economy,” said Jackson.

Asked if he was concerned about the amount of new office space being built and the likelihood of the market being saturated, Jackson said the city leaves that concern to the private sector.

“We don’t restrict the amount of office development — it’s entirely up to the market. It does tend to happen in cycles and they usually overbuild for a year or so and nothing happens for a while and then it gets filled. It’s usually on a seven-year cycle and we are at the tail-end of a cycle and likely the projects under construction now will be the last for a few years until the market takes up the capacity.”

Jackson said it wasn’t too long ago that there was a two or three per cent vacancy rate in office rentals in the downtown which “was absolutely remarkable.”

“Now we are up at around nine per cent in the core area which means you can get slightly better office deals for leasing. But of the projects under construction, the major one is The Exchange and they are continuing to try to find tenants and continuing to build,” said Jackson.

Mayor Gregor Robertson said it was clear the city’s economic strategy was working “with 2015 on pace to see records surpassed for the value of new construction activity, for new office space completed and for growth in our city’s tourism sector.”

“Together we are demonstrating that a strong economy and our Greenest City progress go hand in hand and city hall will continue to use every available resource to support job creation, investment and innovation in Vancouver,” said Robertson.

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=11314084

Yeah Vancouver totally has a strong economy

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

How much of those projects are tired to Chinese capital though? Is there any risk of the new construction getting cancelled halfway through construction because the bottom fell out from underneath influential moneyed foreign interests?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DeathSandwich posted:

How much of those projects are tired to Chinese capital though? Is there any risk of the new construction getting cancelled halfway through construction because the bottom fell out from underneath influential moneyed foreign interests?

Absolutely. Look at any city that had a boom then a crash or even just a slow down. The rotting hulks of half or even mostly-finished sky scrapers sit waiting for the next boom, or for the city to find someone to pay for the demo. There will absolutely come a time when poo poo gets real and Toronto and Vancouver are left with a bunch of unfinished towers and all the numbered companies associated with it bankrupt, leaving the city on the hook for keeping the construction site secure or demolishing the structure.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Baronjutter posted:

Absolutely. Look at any city that had a boom then a crash or even just a slow down. The rotting hulks of half or even mostly-finished sky scrapers sit waiting for the next boom, or for the city to find someone to pay for the demo. There will absolutely come a time when poo poo gets real and Toronto and Vancouver are left with a bunch of unfinished towers and all the numbered companies associated with it bankrupt, leaving the city on the hook for keeping the construction site secure or demolishing the structure.

This already happened with the site of the Trump tower, which was an abandoned gaping hole in the ground in the center of downtown for almost a goddamn decade following the 2008 crash.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Big K of Justice posted:

Yeah Canadian TV is odd, but generally I fond that most people in that situation load balance their shot load in such a way that they're out the door after 40 hours is up. MPC is a whole different kettle. My friend worked there as a lead for a bit, and got paid OT but found out he was one of the few in his department that got paid OT, because most of the department [Europeans] were under the impression that they didn't get OT and never challenged MPC on the issue... I guess there's idiots in every bunch.

The one thing I learned right out of school is to not "finish" too quickly. Get your work done, and done well but stretch things out enough so you get everything done on time. Otherwise you get dumped with extra work from the slow pokes. gently caress that.

Its one thing to be expected to work OT and another thing to be so slow at your job that it takes you 50% longer than others.

I'm starting to hunt for work in the states again as a plan B in case the exchange rate drops another 10 cents. At that point I'm better off taking a pay cut and at least make US dollars again :/

Funny, the Canadian dollar cratering has made me want to stay in Canada even more than I already do. If I go back the states what I've made this year in CAD will be worth a whole lot less...

But also, wow health insurance is cheap here. I pay $13 a week for a plan that would cost me nearly $200 a month in America. It's incredible.

But anyway, you're at a much higher stage of your career than I am so good luck finding US vfx work! I hear it's still around, just scarcer than before.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Free advice: wait until blue chips hit 52w lows, then buy and hold until you retire. Look for blue chips with dividends, and reinvest the dividend into more stock.

I'm not a financial planner or anything but this is investments 101.

lmao you are a investment noob if you think buying individual stocks is better than index investing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
All the Americans working up here on contract, getting paid in USD, are walking around like King poo poo right now, let me tell you.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

This already happened in the 80s and the local government had to spend piles of money knocking down half finished buildings.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PT6A posted:

All the Americans working up here on contract, getting paid in USD, are walking around like King poo poo right now, let me tell you.

Sounds like more coal roller talk

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Ccs posted:

But also, wow health insurance is cheap here. I pay $13 a week for a plan that would cost me nearly $200 a month in America. It's incredible.

Medical care is significantly better, and free or nearly free, in the rest of the developed world. Also in very undeveloped world for that matter. :ssh:

Only in North America do you see people think they're getting a sweet rear end deal for medical care this lovely.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Rime posted:

Medical care is significantly better, and free or nearly free, in the rest of the developed world. Also in very undeveloped world for that matter. :ssh:

Only in North America do you see people think they're getting a sweet rear end deal for medical care this lovely.

Cuba spends 1/40th what the US does per capita and has the same life expectancy :v:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

TerminalSaint posted:

Cuba spends 1/40th what the US does per capita and has the same life expectancy :v:

Cuba also has about 3 times as many doctors per capita as the US.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Holy poo poo, I just stumbled across this. This might even beat the Trump Vancouver ad, which was at least accurate in its luxury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO7kIXqAhvk

That building is in the middle of the worst suburb in Canada for those not familiar. None of those towers shown exist.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Reverse Centaur posted:

None of those towers shown exist.

Maybe they will by May 23, 2025, but it will probably take more than a decade to clean up Surrey.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

McGavin posted:

Maybe they will by May 23, 2025, but it will probably take more than a decade to clean up Surrey.

I think it's why the commercial used a unrealistic science fiction setting.

surrey is basically the alternative timeline in which Biff has the sports almanac.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

etalian posted:

I think it's why the commercial used a unrealistic science fiction setting.

surrey is basically the alternative timeline in which Biff has the sports almanac.

I think you or someone else used this comparison before but it's really really spot on.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I think you or someone else used this comparison before but it's really really spot on.

yeah it's one of my favorite barbs from this thread.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Baronjutter posted:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

That Biff quote was originally from me I think

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693185&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post440046143

edit: oh poo poo that's archived. But yeah, it was the first mention. Here were the accompanying photos

Pretty much killed the canada.jpg GBS thread

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 26, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the future lives here

also:

really need a cleveland tourist video for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGg_bJenRnE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007