Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Snak posted:

I did. I'll probably go back to it... I dunno after DS3? BB was fun, but with the stripped down stats and weapon choices it didn't grab me with the same replayability as DS1 & 2.

I bought ps4 just for BB. I wasn't sure it was really worth it. Now that I got W3 also, 100% worth it. DS3 announced... I got a bargain. All these games for only 600+ dollars... oh god

And Uncharted 4 and (1-3) and MGS!!

ilu ps4 :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

poopzilla posted:

And Uncharted 4 and (1-3) and MGS!!

ilu ps4 :glomp:

Still waiting for them to port MGS4 to ps4...

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

tyrelhill posted:

Yeah the only winning strategy I have found for good monster decks is to bait them into spending their cards early and then coming back with a win in the last round. I had one game where the fucker had 170 points on the board.

I found Monster decks pretty easy to beat after a certain point since they don't have spies or healers. Just make sure you have a blizzard and preferably some scorch abilities. Scorch fucks Monster (and Scoia'tael) decks hard because so many of their cards have the same scores and if they put down the Crones you can likely instantly take them out. With spies you can get card advantage then stall until they run out of cards then blizzard their asses and laugh at their tiny points.

The female armorer kicked my rear end too though, until I went and got better cards.

Speaking of Gwent, I beat the tournament yesterday and I'm pretty sure I have all the cards now but GoG isn't giving me my achievements. Lame.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Nephthys posted:

I found Monster decks pretty easy to beat after a certain point since they don't have spies or healers. Just make sure you have a blizzard and preferably some scorch abilities. Scorch fucks Monster (and Scoia'tael) decks hard because so many of their cards have the same scores and if they put down the Crones you can likely instantly take them out. With spies you can get card advantage then stall until they run out of cards then blizzard their asses and laugh at their tiny points.

The female armorer kicked my rear end too though, until I went and got better cards.

Speaking of Gwent, I beat the tournament yesterday and I'm pretty sure I have all the cards now but GoG isn't giving me my achievements. Lame.

I rearranged my deck to deal with that oxenfurt innkeepers bullshit leader ability that cancels out my leader ability by basically having a ton of bond cards and faking him out and throwing a comander horn in the last round. Got a Yennifer card out of it, and steamrolled the next innkeeper.

Next up: Yo baron I know you're really heartbroken about your stillborn baby being a ghost spirit, but - my nigga, have you heard of gwent?

Edit: Haha - Armorer women, what is up with your monster deck goddamn, and this is after I replaced some of my guys with decoys.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 24, 2015

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I loving love challenging people to Gwent and Geralt asks if they ever heard of it. It's a great descent into his addiction after getting schooled in white orchard

"You know what'd fix me up??? Gwent."

*blank stare*

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Fishstick posted:

Right now I'm basically just cheesing the AI with the second foltest leader's ability that acts as a clear weather, but it's loving me on the Oxenfurt innkeeper whose leader ability is literally "your leader ability cant be used"

Edit:

Maybe not the best time

What armor is that?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

HORMELCHILI posted:

What armor is that?

Nilfgardian, it's not my personal screenshot. You can buy it once you have access to upper crows's perch, I think.

Hey look dude, I'm realy into your story about alcoholism, beating your wife and trying to redeem yourself by turning your stillborn baby into various flavors of horrible demons.

But do you play Gwent?

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 25, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Crow's Perch Quartermaster sells it.

It was one of the free DLC armors.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I challenged the baron at that moment too and kicked his rear end

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I did the troll bridge quest in Flotsam the other day and boy howdy am I glad they let you kill the fuckers that killed his wife.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Fishstick posted:

I rearranged my deck to deal with that oxenfurt innkeepers bullshit leader ability that cancels out my leader ability by basically having a ton of bond cards and faking him out and throwing a comander horn in the last round. Got a Yennifer card out of it, and steamrolled the next innkeeper.

Next up: Yo baron I know you're really heartbroken about your stillborn baby being a ghost spirit, but - my nigga, have you heard of gwent?

Edit: Haha - Armorer women, what is up with your monster deck goddamn, and this is after I replaced some of my guys with decoys.

Pffft. That's why you have the dragon and a bunch of decoys. Or just bait the AI into playing all their muster cards in the first round.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Spite posted:

Pffft. That's why you have the dragon and a bunch of decoys. Or just bait the AI into playing all their muster cards in the first round.

Yeah I eventually beat her by luckily drawing one frostbite along with decoys, which ruined that type of monster deck. I got all the velen players and innkeepers done until I visit Novigrad now. Ended up with a Yennifer hero card and a bunch of spies.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I challenged the baron at that moment too and kicked his rear end

Yeah but's it's still a hilarious change of pace. So, your battered wife, lost daughter, I may have leads but you're gonna want to turn your stillborn son into a less evil demon.
Also, do you play cards?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Armorer woman Is easy. Scorch cards and the dragon. Also biting frost if ur lucky.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I didn't even realize you could play the armourer woman. So I went back and beat her with my fuckoff nilfgaardian spy deck, but it was a very near thing and I only had like a two card advantage going into the third round. only won by like 13 points.

and then she gave me a loving useless cockatrice for winning.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

also I really wish there was a feature in this game like starbound - where you can have the visual effect of one armour while enjoying the stats of another.

Wouldn't make much narrative sense but I'd enjoy it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

Armorer woman Is easy. Scorch cards and the dragon. Also biting frost if ur lucky.

On NG+ I have not gotten scorch cards or whatever "the dragon" is.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Im loving me some gwent, but playing against spy heavy decks is a goddamn bitch.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

super macho dude posted:

Im loving me some gwent, but playing against spy heavy decks is a goddamn bitch.

its the best actually. get all the decoys you can get your hands on and wreck their poo poo

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

Fishstick posted:

On NG+ I have not gotten scorch cards or whatever "the dragon" is.

Villetretenmerth. Strength 7 card, removes the strongest card(s) in the enemy melee row if the whole row totals more than 10. Since it's not a hero card, you can play it, decoy, and play it again. You can scorch entire melee rows that way.

You can also combine it with Biting Frost.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

also I really wish there was a feature in this game like starbound - where you can have the visual effect of one armour while enjoying the stats of another.

Wouldn't make much narrative sense but I'd enjoy it.

I'd love this because a lot of the generic armors look like rear end

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Aesaar posted:

Villetretenmerth. Strength 7 card, removes the strongest card(s) in the enemy melee row if the whole row totals more than 10. Since it's not a hero card, you can play it, decoy, and play it again. You can scorch entire melee rows that way.

You can also combine it with Biting Frost.

Hah. Nearly lost the gwent tournament because I was trying to be clever and wipe out 9 monster cards at once with biting frost and villetretenmerth. Only problem was I played that 9 point spy and he hosed me with a clear skies right outta nowhere. Managed to win since I had something like 8 cards on him but it was still really close and just goes to show the dangers of trying to be too clever in gwent.

I actually lost to Sasha though! reloaded of course. And then the half elf squashed me like a bug in the fistfight easily a dozen times since I was level 15 and he was level 27.

Also really wish there was a mod to make your gwent enemies have better cards.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

The Iron Rose posted:

Hah. Nearly lost the gwent tournament because I was trying to be clever and wipe out 9 monster cards at once with biting frost and villetretenmerth. Only problem was I played that 9 point spy and he hosed me with a clear skies right outta nowhere. Managed to win since I had something like 8 cards on him but it was still really close and just goes to show the dangers of trying to be too clever in gwent.

I actually lost to Sasha though! reloaded of course. And then the half elf squashed me like a bug in the fistfight easily a dozen times since I was level 15 and he was level 27.

Also really wish there was a mod to make your gwent enemies have better cards.

The elf was a bitch just because he was a relentless flurry of fast attacks that could stunlock you in a heartbeat. Like, the opposite of Georgius Georg.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

#failwhale

Shirtless deathmarch Geralt finally started getting easier around level 7. It was REALLY rough for a while. I was throwing everything I had at every fight and meditating afterwards, and even so I was dying a lot. Never ran out of alcohol but at one point I only had 3 dwarven spirits left.

It was pretty funny having the Bloody Baron pour his heart out to Geralt's glistening abs.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Han Nehi posted:

#failwhale

Shirtless deathmarch Geralt finally started getting easier around level 7. It was REALLY rough for a while. I was throwing everything I had at every fight and meditating afterwards, and even so I was dying a lot. Never ran out of alcohol but at one point I only had 3 dwarven spirits left.

It was pretty funny having the Bloody Baron pour his heart out to Geralt's glistening abs.

Where the gently caress do you get all your alcohol? I'm not playing shirtless, but I feel like I have to watch when I meditate.

Yall just steal it from people's homes, don't you?

To be honest, Alcohol, crafting diagrams, and rare crafting ingredients I will often steal from people. If I'm your house, I'm not gonna take your stuff. But when I look through your stuff and find witcher diagrams... that's not really your stuff, now is it?

Also, I play Geralt as a handsy alcoholic who will lift your booze when he's in your hourse. It's kinda funny in my head.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I guess I've been playing it wrong because I assumed if you stole in front of people you would get in trouble, so I have never taken anything out of chests in anyones house.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I guess I've been playing it wrong because I assumed if you stole in front of people you would get in trouble, so I have never taken anything out of chests in anyones house.

I mean I don't either. Because it's wrong. BUt sometimes someone will invite me into their house and then, through story dialogue, reveal that they are a dick. and then I will steal their booze.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Stealing from everyone is really a public service. What were those peasants even going to do with alcohest and dimetrium bars? Not craft items to eliminate dangerous monsters I bet.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

book talk... I just finished the story "A Little Sacrifice" NO HAPPY ENDINGS ALLOWED! So I'm about 2/3 of the way through Sword of Destiny, just started the titular story in fact.

Hey, at least she didn't turn into a pesta. As far as we know.

Also some of the bestiary entries have quotes from Essi Daven's writings in them, just as a fun nod.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I steal from everyone's homes so regularly that I often get caught stealing in front of guards. It's almost muscle memory for me to tap X multiple times because I'm taking everything, I don't even care what it is.

Like the first few times I didn't realize that the game warns you, because I loot too fast for the game popup to come up.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Man at Arms made a set of witcher swords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJZekaPAd_M

Pretty cool.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I liked the older guy more before the "Reforged" series. The pommel on the 'silver' sword looks really amateur but the rest of the work is solid.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

I steal from everyone's homes so regularly that I often get caught stealing in front of guards. It's almost muscle memory for me to tap X multiple times because I'm taking everything, I don't even care what it is.

Like the first few times I didn't realize that the game warns you, because I loot too fast for the game popup to come up.

Why don't you just hit X then triangle/Y then?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snak posted:

Why don't you just hit X then triangle/Y then?

because it's just a habit I picked up from when I used to want to read what I want to pick up as I'm doing it. It just slowly devolved into me mashing X. If I hit X-^ I'd still end up pissing off the guards.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
What's NG+ like? Is the combat still as hilariously easy as it was towards the end of the regular game?
Does it reset your skills or do you have to do that yourself if you want to try another build?
Also, is it still impossible to find red mutagens in the beginning?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

What's NG+ like? Is the combat still as hilariously easy as it was towards the end of the regular game?
Does it reset your skills or do you have to do that yourself if you want to try another build?
Also, is it still impossible to find red mutagens in the beginning?

I'm playing NG+ on Death March, only part way through Velen so these are only initial impressions:

The combat is a lot more challenging out the gate and doesn't seem to be letting up any. It's not brutally hard, I'm not reloading all that much, but I do have to pay attention, use alchemy and all my tools available. Fights are intense and I cannot get hit more than a couple times before dying. I think this is largely because Geralt stops scaling around level 30 when you max out your ability slots and have more points than you know what to do with. In NG+ you keep getting more points but that's not really beefing you up much. You start with all your alchemy stuff, a more or less maxed skill set, all the monsters are +30 levels but you don't keep progressing much. I would guess the game maintains its difficulty pretty well in NG+ compared to a regular playthrough.

I *think* you start with a skill respec potion. I bought one before I started NG+ and I had 2x in my inventory. To be safe buy a potion before you start NG+

Not sure about mutagens. You'll carry over whatever you have with you now. Loot is scaled up to level, I've been finding lvl 40-50+ crafting schematics and Dimeritium Ingots (!?) in chests.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I played B&BB first time through so I don't know if it's just not knowing how ridiculous DM was but DM NG+ is absurd at times. I'm now level 41 and drowners wreck your poo poo with their stun locking ridiculousness even when they're at level 31. I may have to re-spec because my swords build isn't working too great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I find that small groups, 3-5 drowners, by themselves aren't bad on DM in NG. It's the loving water hags that always seem to accompany them throwing mud that gets me killed.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I just started NG+ with a Heavy Armor/Strong Attack, and Alchemy build on DM. I'm only just reaching Velen but it's been really easy so far thanks to crazy skills like Protective Coating and the Archgriffin/Ekhidna Decoction combo. I take virtually no damage, and any damage I do take is rapidly healed for every strong attack I land (which then does 2000-3000 damage per swing).

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

novaSphere posted:

I just started NG+ with a Heavy Armor/Strong Attack, and Alchemy build on DM. I'm only just reaching Velen but it's been really easy so far thanks to crazy skills like Protective Coating and the Archgriffin/Ekhidna Decoction combo. I take virtually no damage, and any damage I do take is rapidly healed for every strong attack I land (which then does 2000-3000 damage per swing).

Ekhidna decoction didnt seem to do that much for me, I'm probably a very similar build - I just pop a maribor forest or thunderbolt if I need health. I use Archgriffin and Chort - the latter helps so, so much against drowners, nekkers and other stunlocking/staggering bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Someone mentioned a mod that makes all of your skills active instead of the limited number of equip-able ones. I haven't seen this anywhere, does anyone have more information?