Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

So is this not out in the US store or do I need a weird link to find it, because search is turning up nothin'

I looked it up a bit and it seems like it'll show up in the US eventually but for now it's only in Asia/EU or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Fancy Hat! posted:

So is this not out in the US store or do I need a weird link to find it, because search is turning up nothin'

It is not available in the android us store, you can find the page but it won't install on a US device from the store. You can sideload the APK, but that comes with the risk of is the source trusted. So far so good for me.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
GUIDE FOR IOS:

1) Get a trash gmail account.

2) Click this https://itunes.apple.com/th/app/id963666601

3) Open in iTunes it will say NOT AVAILABLE SWITCH TO STORE? click yes

4) Click the Get button and it will ask for iTunes login. Click create new, follow the login process and verify the email account

5) Go back to DQMSL and click Get. Input account details and let it download.

6) Sign out and back into your regular account, plug in your iPhone/iPad and then manually add the app to the device

7) AW YIS DQMSL

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

DQMSL doesn't work on rooted devices does it? I'm going to assume no because I don't think SE games have played nice with that before.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You have to use wifi when you first launch it on iOS because it has to download a bunch of data and it freezes on cellular but it seems to be working fine here. No Android device to verify that though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

How do you get this on android all the poo poo online is for ios.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How do you get this on android all the poo poo online is for ios.

You have to gather all the Zenithian equipment.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
For Android I've seen this link tossed around:
http://www.apkpure.com/dragon-quest-monsters-sl/com.garena.game.dqmsl

Apparently if you play on iOS you can log in as a guest and not use garnea/facebook, but Android makes you use those? If so I guess any rerolling, if possible, is easier on iOS? :shrug:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

For Android I've seen this link tossed around:
http://www.apkpure.com/dragon-quest-monsters-sl/com.garena.game.dqmsl

Apparently if you play on iOS you can log in as a guest and not use garnea/facebook, but Android makes you use those? If so I guess any rerolling, if possible, is easier on iOS? :shrug:

This worked, thanks.

Got a C rank from my free pull then a B from my second one...Too lazy to reroll due to account fuckery oh well

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Is it worth it to buy Milly a Cautery Sword in DQVI? I figure she could get good use out of it's extra effect due to her high magic, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008
Is there any strategy for the cave you go through to get the last orb in DQ III? My party keeps getting Whacked by these shadow assholes. I'm playing the iOS version.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Nope that cave is just a bit rougher than the places you've been before it. Making sure to grab the Swordedge Armor, Thunder Sword, and whatever else is in there will help. Especially the Thunder Sword.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Has there been any word of a western release for Dragon Quest X, or barring that, a PSO2-esque translation patch? I've been watching videos and it is Definitely My poo poo™. Considering plunking down some cash just to play the untranslated version but I feel like I'd be missing a fair amount of the experience being unable to read all the goofiness.

Lotophage
Apr 26, 2015

by Lowtax

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Has there been any word of a western release for Dragon Quest X, or barring that, a PSO2-esque translation patch? I've been watching videos and it is Definitely My poo poo™. Considering plunking down some cash just to play the untranslated version but I feel like I'd be missing a fair amount of the experience being unable to read all the goofiness.

There is already a full working translation for the offline mode. The offline mode kind of sucks though imo, you can tell they half assed it just so they could say there was an offline portion. If there was ever a Western release I'd be shocked, and there are like two people working on the translation project and maybe only 8 or so of us that play regularly in the english guild so I wouldn't get your hopes up as far as that goes either, there just isn't enough interest/manpower.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

That's too bad. I'm still interested in trying it though. In lieu of other resources, are there any guides that detail what each menu option does or am I just going to have to figure it out through trial and error? I'm not averse to the latter but if I can avoid it there'd certainly be no objections on my part.

Lotophage
Apr 26, 2015

by Lowtax
This place has tons of info, and you can also ask any questions you might have: http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showforum=100

It's not a very fast moving forum obviously, but people are very helpful.

The most annoying part is probably going to be actually buying the game, sometimes jp Amazon will take your American credit card, sometimes it won't. If it won't then you're either going to have to pay a large markup and get it via webmoney or ask someone else on the forum to buy it for you and paypal them the money or whatever.

The good news is that there's a pretty generous free trial: http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%89%E...=Dragon+Quest+X

Check out this thread for help getting it set up: http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28719

I can go through and sort of do a basic menu translation for you if you decide to go through with it.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Cool stuff. I'll try playing through the offline mode to try it out and make sure I enjoy it before I start nagging for translation requests, then. Thanks for the help!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

For anyone playing that DQMSL mobile game: Regarding S rank units it seems like the higher a unit's rank the longer their growth curve is. In the 40s my S rank units are starting to meet/beat some of my C and D rank units' stats and due to the S ranks having a much higher level cap the gap only gets bigger. One of the people on my friends list has Schliemann (the slime tank castle thing you get after a few friend referrals) at max level and he's over 500hp and 300ish atk/def. Pretty sure that the S rank rare summon-only units are able to get much better stats overall, but for a free S rank it's still pretty significant.

e: You also get to do a free rare summon every 72 hours, which is pretty awesome.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 6, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

3DS and PS4 screenshots of Dragon Quest 11.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

PS4 lookin' good.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

When is DQMSL supposed to get its English release?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I...I want to play all three versions! They all look so good!

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

iastudent posted:

There is no date or even announced plan for a North American/Global release, the Southeast Asian release was the English language release that had been talked about, although since it is translated into English it is hard to imagine it not getting some kind of American support.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

iastudent posted:

Several weeks ago. Go download it from the Thai store on iOS or find an apk in you're on android. It's a 100% English version.

A US release though? No idea. SE is weird as hell so maybe we'll get an announcement soon, or maybe they'll never put it in the US because SE probably still thinks DQ games don't have fans outside of Asia.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wendell posted:

I...I want to play all three versions! They all look so good!

Me too. It will be cool to play SNES -> 3DS -> PS4 over 3 playthrough a and like 2 or 3 years so it's like I get a new DQ every few months.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone else had any weird problems with the SNES version of Dragon Quest 3? First I couldn't get the guy who trades the Sailor's Bone for the Change Staff to show up - the area was just empty grass, his house wasn't even there. So I cheated the Bone into my inventory, but the Ghost Ship was apparently located in the middle of the forest near Aliahan. Standing there didn't work and it didn't ever seem to move, so I cheated the Lovely Memories into my inventory. Using that at the right spot made the game lock up, so I cheated the Sword of Gaia into my inventory, which also proceeded to lock the game when I tried to use it at the volcano. I'm guessing it's an issue introduced by the patch - I've tried in both Higan and ZSNES with the same results. I thought about switching to an unpatched ROM, saving, and trying again, but the game crashes at pretty much any menu, presumably because the game doesn't like my party members with English names.

As far as I can tell no one else on the internet has ever had this problem so I figured I'd post here to see if anyone has any other ideas.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

Has anyone else had any weird problems with the SNES version of Dragon Quest 3? First I couldn't get the guy who trades the Sailor's Bone for the Change Staff to show up - the area was just empty grass, his house wasn't even there. So I cheated the Bone into my inventory, but the Ghost Ship was apparently located in the middle of the forest near Aliahan. Standing there didn't work and it didn't ever seem to move, so I cheated the Lovely Memories into my inventory. Using that at the right spot made the game lock up, so I cheated the Sword of Gaia into my inventory, which also proceeded to lock the game when I tried to use it at the volcano. I'm guessing it's an issue introduced by the patch - I've tried in both Higan and ZSNES with the same results. I thought about switching to an unpatched ROM, saving, and trying again, but the game crashes at pretty much any menu, presumably because the game doesn't like my party members with English names.

As far as I can tell no one else on the internet has ever had this problem so I figured I'd post here to see if anyone has any other ideas.

I looked up the team that made the translation patch, and you should be able to submit a bug report on their site here: http://www.dqtranslations.com/bugs

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I hate the hero's hair and the fact that he's essentially wearing 8's outfit.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I hate the hero's hair and the fact that he's essentially wearing 8's outfit.

Have they said anything about customisable characters?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

That loving Sned posted:

I looked up the team that made the translation patch, and you should be able to submit a bug report on their site here: http://www.dqtranslations.com/bugs

Well, it doesn't look like they've done anything in over five years, but I posted on there anyway. Thanks.

Edit: Well, I managed to make the house show up. I guess I just talked to the right NPC or something? I have no idea. Hopefully the other stuff will work properly now.

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 17, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah I played up until Zoma in the SFC DQ3 using a translation patch and never ran in to your weird issues. If it still acts up even now that he's shown up hopefully you kept save(state)s earlier that might not have the issue and it isn't just your game itself.

e: DQM SL has Balzack as an event dungeon and you can get an A rank of his Ch4 form which can be upgraded to an S rank Ch5 version. I really kinda hope they announce a US release for this though because while the SEA version is fully in English and all it's still a decent enough DQM mobile game that it could do well. Plus it gives a free premium summon every 3 days even if you don't spend money, in addition to the premium currency you get from events and login bonuses and stuff, which is pretty nice.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 17, 2015

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just got reminded that DQ Heroes is coming out soonish. Were there any Japanese reviews for it? I played some Hyrule Warriors and loved it and I like the aesthetic of DQ so was interested in it.

No one responded it looks like, but I have it and really liked it. It has my favorite character (Alena) and she's badass in it. You spend a lot of time feeling like a badass and ripping apart classic DQ monsters. The monster coin/ally system is neat. If you like Musou games and Dragon Quest, you'll like it.

Some flaws are that there's a lot of repeated monsters, some skills are totally worthless, some characters are largely worthless (Flora, Crifto), and the NG+ system is pretty bad. You start over and get 50 extra skill points, but you lose all the good items (like ones you have to beat hard quests for, or mini medal ones) and the story doesn't change or anything and there's no new extra levels. The game has lots of postgame content, at least in the Japanese version.

Also, some enemies just take way too much of a beating for no reason, and I found myself just avoiding them as much as possible. Also a lot of the alchemy recipe items just aren't worth equipping when you can make 3 items that increase critical hit rate and you have skills that restore MP when you land criticals.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

I haven't gotten around to DQX yet but I just finished V after having it language in my backlog for several years and wow, what a game. It's a pretty simple story but it really hit all the right beats, especially the first half of the game. I would definitely recommend it for anyone jaded on JRPG stories, it's very moving.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I haven't gotten around to DQX yet but I just finished V after having it language in my backlog for several years and wow, what a game. It's a pretty simple story but it really hit all the right beats, especially the first half of the game. I would definitely recommend it for anyone jaded on JRPG stories, it's very moving.

It's one of my favorite JRPGs of all time and manages to do some neat twists with the typical chosen hero formula.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Speaking of Dragon Quest X, I just finished the tutorial and I see I'm being forced to make another character. Is there a way to use the first character I made online? I thought I read something about this the other day but for the life of me I cannot find it.

edit: Also, what's a good starting class? Am I going to get reamed trying to solo if I pick mage?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
IIRC you can't play as a human in online mode.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

I've been playing the free trial for Dragon Quest X and have enjoyed it quite a bit. They're giving out slime hats that triple your experience up to level 59, which is pretty cool. Playing as a mage hasn't been too bad, though life sucks when I run out of MP (as far as I can tell the only ways to restore it are autoattacking with a wand and using items or an inn). Story's been pretty goofy so far from the smatterings of it I can understand. I do hope we see this in the west at some point but even if we don't it's fairly playable if you have the patience to work a google translated wiki and a crude enough understanding of japanese to figure out what spells and items do.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

How does DQ Heroes compare to Hyrule Warriors? Because that's the only Musou game I've played and it was loads of fun.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I can't compare them, having not played Hyrule Warriors, but DQ Heroes is fun and has lots of neat mage spellcasting options. You can play Flora and go around waving your magic wand (staff) to throw magic rainbow bubbles at everything.

In a more up-front answer, I find the original heroes of the game to be particularly fun to play. Their spells have a very satisfying oomph to them, and their attack combos are easy to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DQ Heroes has some sort of quasi-tower defense gimmick, doesn't it?