Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No, no, Zylla, when someone asks if you're a god, you say YES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Travis343 posted:

because he ate a bunch of turtles? yeah, probably

Dammit, youtube is failing me. There's a scene early in Godzilla: Tokyo SOS where the anti-kaiju task force is called to the scene where a dying Kamoebas (a giant turtle first appearing in Space Monster Yog) beached. They make remarks about how much Bigger Godzilla is, and how he must eat turtles like this all the time. I'm pretty sure it's a not-so-subtle jab at Gamera.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Choco1980 posted:

Dammit, youtube is failing me. There's a scene early in Godzilla: Tokyo SOS where the anti-kaiju task force is called to the scene where a dying Kamoebas (a giant turtle first appearing in Space Monster Yog) beached. They make remarks about how much Bigger Godzilla is, and how he must eat turtles like this all the time. I'm pretty sure it's a not-so-subtle jab at Gamera.

IIRC that was originally scripted to be Godzilla's ol' buddy, Anguirus, but the producers decided that was maybe a little too grim.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

Well, he is filled with turtle meat.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey Godzilla thread, what are some touching or inspiring comic panels that you like?

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Godzilla, The Half Century War #05. Ending spoilers!

http://i.imgur.com/83pQeLk.jpg

And a little while later..

http://i.imgur.com/5Tkvl2N.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6l1SaqH.jpg

Rhaka fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 25, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's one that's already come up here several times, I'm sure, but whatever gets the thread back on topic.

Superior Spider-Man #31. Spoilers! For the entire run, Peter's body has been hijacked by Doc Ock, and he's been acting nothing at all like Spider-Man or Peter Parker. Fights were hard, quiet, and brutal, dilemmas were always solved by doing the smart thing, never the right thing, and slowly but surely, Otto ran Peter's life into the ground, and left the city in a state where the Green Goblin and co. could try to take over the whole city. Every time he tried to stop it, Norman wiped the floor with him, and before long figured out it was Otto Octavius, not Peter Parker, that he was fighting, and Norman used that to make things even worse for 'Peter' and the city. It's not until his darkest hour that Otto realizes he's only making things worse, that he can't fix this on his own, and gives his body back to Peter.

After thirty issues of a cruel, rambling, unheroic Spider-Man who we're supposed to hate, there is an absurd amount of catharsis and "things will be okay" in just seeing him quipping again.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 25, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's one that's already come up here several times, I'm sure, but whatever gets the thread back on topic.

Superior Spider-Man #31. Spoilers! For the entire run, Peter's body has been hijacked by Doc Ock, and he's been acting nothing at all like Spider-Man or Peter Parker. Fights were hard, quiet, and brutal, dilemmas were always solved by doing the smart thing, never the right thing, and slowly but surely, Otto ran Peter's life into the ground, and left the city in a state where the Green Goblin and co. could try to take over the whole city. Every time he tried to stop it, Norman wiped the floor with him, and before long figured out it was Otto Octavius, not Peter Parker, that he was fighting, and Norman used that to make things even worse for 'Peter' and the city. It's not until his darkest hour that Otto realizes he's only making things worse, that he can't fix this on his own, and gives his body back to Peter.

After thirty issues of a cruel, rambling, unheroic Spider-Man who we're supposed to hate, there is an absurd amount of catharsis and "things will be okay" in just seeing him quipping again.

I feel like I may be the only person who actually liked the whole SpOck thing, because I thought it was a nice twist on the "redemption arc" concept. Otto was trying to be the best "good guy" he could be, but had no idea how to actually be a "good guy" so he filtered everything through his ego and selfishness. Plus the way Peter got his body back felt like a cop-out.

Still, I love this moment. You can just feel Norman's amusement shift right into rage, the venom he puts into two little words.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

There's something magical about that moment. I hadn't been following the SpOck story very closely, so when someone posted that page the Goblin's realization was my own. Seeing spider-man call out norman's man-purse, and knowing that it could only be Peter Parker... It was deeply satisfying. And the artist pulled off the close up reaction shot so perfectly.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Poison Mushroom posted:

Fights were hard, quiet, and brutal, dilemmas were always solved by doing the smart thing, never the right thing, and slowly but surely, Otto ran Peter's life into the ground, and left the city in a state where the Green Goblin and co. could try to take over the whole city.
Norman was trying to take over NYC? That sounds like a whole lot more trouble than it's worth. Is he in charge of public works and maintenance, too? It sounds more like a punishment than a successful ploy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

I feel like I may be the only person who actually liked the whole SpOck thing

You so weren't. The entire year there were dozens of posts of pages and panels and talk about how people were enjoying the change of pace including from people who weren't on-board with the idea at first.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

You so weren't. The entire year there were dozens of posts of pages and panels and talk about how people were enjoying the change of pace including from people who weren't on-board with the idea at first.
That's good to know. I only read the whole thing in the collections and stopped reading people's opinions after the initial wave of anger.

I still say the "fix" was a cop-out, though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I liked Spider-Ock, but because of Efrem Zimbalist Jr. I couldn't not read all of his lines in a thick German accent, which made it hard to believe anyone wouldn't realize it's not Peter immediately.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Phylodox posted:

I liked Spider-Ock, but because of Efrem Zimbalist Jr. I couldn't not read all of his lines in a thick German accent, which made it hard to believe anyone wouldn't realize it's not Peter immediately.

My favorite Spider-Ock moment was when he was working with Magneto on destroying some base or other and was all "What do you know about wrongful persecution?!" and Magneto said "Actually, I'm a survivor of the Holocaust." and Spider-Ock's reaction frame.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Wade Wilson posted:

My favorite Spider-Ock moment was when he was working with Magneto on destroying some base or other and was all "What do you know about wrongful persecution?!" and Magneto said "Actually, I'm a survivor of the Holocaust." and Spider-Ock's reaction frame.

I kinda want to see this.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

I kinda want to see this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Something about the composition makes me read Magneto as all smug about his past trauma, like he can't wait to pull out that card whenever he starts being a rampaging dickhead against humans. He says it in the same inflection of "actually it's pronounced 'kin-wah'"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

mind the walrus posted:

Something about the composition makes me read Magneto as all smug about his past trauma, like he can't wait to pull out that card whenever he starts being a rampaging dickhead against humans. He says it in the same inflection of "actually it's pronounced 'kin-wah'"

Fixed.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Rhaka posted:

Seriously, The Half-Century War is SO good. Absolutely worthwhile. I originally bought it for my son for christmas when it came out, read it before wrapping, and then had to turn around and buy myself a copy.

Also, There's a Godzilla/Kaiju thread over in ADTRW so we can stop this derail: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3733347

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rhaka posted:

Half Century War is genuinely one of the best comics I've ever read and very touching.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

mind the walrus posted:

Yea, the way he is standing and with the arms folded make it look like he is more smug about it then anything else. Reading the passage without the pictures is fine, but the artwork/composition is wonky.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Magneto strikes me as the kind of person who's really happy to win an argument.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I think I'd have liked Spock better if they hadn't made everyone he interacted with into a complete idiot to keep up the charade(really everyone who knew him should have had this figured out within a week, and this isn't even bringing in Telepaths, Super Science, or Magic in regards to how his secret should have been blown wide open), not to mention said arc ruined several characters in the process, especially Black Cat

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

drrockso20 posted:

I think I'd have liked Spock better if they hadn't made everyone he interacted with into a complete idiot to keep up the charade(really everyone who knew him should have had this figured out within a week, and this isn't even bringing in Telepaths, Super Science, or Magic in regards to how his secret should have been blown wide open), not to mention said arc ruined several characters in the process, especially Black Cat

Didn't the eventual fallout from all this end up being once Peter was back in control of his body, he just kinda went around and explained that Doc Ock stole his body and apologized and everyone was all like, "Oh. Eh, it happens," or something like that? With special bonus mention of Spider-Man 2099's reaction being something along the lines of, "That explanation is so stupid, it has to be true."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

W.T. Fits posted:

Didn't the eventual fallout from all this end up being once Peter was back in control of his body, he just kinda went around and explained that Doc Ock stole his body and apologized and everyone was all like, "Oh. Eh, it happens," or something like that? With special bonus mention of Spider-Man 2099's reaction being something along the lines of, "That explanation is so stupid, it has to be true."

I believe that was the case for the most part, which both makes sense and is kinda silly at the same time

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, 2099's reaction was the best part about the ending. It even happens in the same issue as those panels. Off the top of my head, it was something like "yeah, that sounds just stupid enough to be right".

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From Scud the Disposable Assassin #24.

The series is about a future where murder is legal. Scud is a vending machine robot who will kill whoever you want and then self-destruct after the target dies. Scud was sent to kill this freakish piecemeal squid monster called Jeff. Scud was reluctant to kill Jeff for a while, due to how it would cause self-destruction, but later found that Jeff appears to be unkillable. Jeff, as it turns out, is one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

Anyway, the series was goofy fun and then got dark and aimless for a bit. Scud and fellow assassin Sussudio (human, but a robosexual) got involved in a plot where angels had imprisoned God and were preparing to take over all of reality. The lead angel killed Sussudio and sent Scud to Earth to do their bidding with Sussudio's resurrection being his payment. That's how Scud #20 ended in 1998.

After that, creator Rob Schrab got tired of the comic, got better work in Hollywood and let the series die on a cliffhanger. It wasn't until Image asked about reprinting the issues that he decided to go back and end it. In 2008.

After four more issues, taking place ten years after in-story, Scud and his friends end up in Heaven to combat the angels. He also has Jeff's beating heart with him. As he's thrashed by the lead angel, Scud goes to Sussudio's corpse and shoves the undying heart into her chest. Scud is chopped up while Sussudio's eyes open up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Spider-Ock was one of those things that was utterly terrible in its own comic, but really shone when handled by competent writers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynthOrange posted:

Spider-Ock was one of those things that was utterly terrible in its own comic, but really shone when handled by competent writers.

Yup

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wanted to ask if anyone had that panel where a dude SpOck is working alongside starts shittalking Dr. Octopus and SpOck has no real choice but to be quiet and take his unknowing abuse.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

I wanted to ask if anyone had that panel where a dude SpOck is working alongside starts shittalking Dr. Octopus and SpOck has no real choice but to be quiet and take his unknowing abuse.
That was Deadpool!

Deadpool #10

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 27, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

It was Deadpool, in Deadpool #10.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Given that deadpool's whole schtick is fourth wall breaking, what are the odds he knew of the switch?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Given that deadpool's whole schtick is fourth wall breaking, what are the odds he knew of the switch?

There's actually very little fourth wall breaking in Posehn's run, but the thing about that whole scene is that he may or may not be aware that's Otto; yeah he does trash-talk Ock, but he also doesn't know why Spidey's not cracking jokes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

It really didn't used to be :smith:

Once upon a time it was something he did on occasion but wasn't his defining characteristic.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

drrockso20 posted:

Didn't Wolverine catch on pretty quickly and tries to get Emma or one of the other telepaths to read him and SpOck manages to avoid it by making some joke?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Gavok posted:

From Scud the Disposable Assassin #24.

The series is about a future where murder is legal. Scud is a vending machine robot who will kill whoever you want and then self-destruct after the target dies. Scud was sent to kill this freakish piecemeal squid monster called Jeff. Scud was reluctant to kill Jeff for a while, due to how it would cause self-destruction, but later found that Jeff appears to be unkillable. Jeff, as it turns out, is one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

Anyway, the series was goofy fun and then got dark and aimless for a bit. Scud and fellow assassin Sussudio (human, but a robosexual) got involved in a plot where angels had imprisoned God and were preparing to take over all of reality. The lead angel killed Sussudio and sent Scud to Earth to do their bidding with Sussudio's resurrection being his payment. That's how Scud #20 ended in 1998.

After that, creator Rob Schrab got tired of the comic, got better work in Hollywood and let the series die on a cliffhanger. It wasn't until Image asked about reprinting the issues that he decided to go back and end it. In 2008.

After four more issues, taking place ten years after in-story, Scud and his friends end up in Heaven to combat the angels. He also has Jeff's beating heart with him. As he's thrashed by the lead angel, Scud goes to Sussudio's corpse and shoves the undying heart into her chest. Scud is chopped up while Sussudio's eyes open up.

Are you kidding me, emotions? I never read Scud, have no connection to it, don't care, and I still got a bit misty at this. What a wonderful ending.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

CzarChasm posted:

Didn't Wolverine catch on pretty quickly and tries to get Emma or one of the other telepaths to read him and SpOck manages to avoid it by making some joke?

Yeah, he tried arguing about privacy rights/whatever then went to talking about imagining said telepaths naked/having sex with them/each other and they walk off disgusted.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, he tried arguing about privacy rights/whatever then went to talking about imagining said telepaths naked/having sex with them/each other and they walk off disgusted.

Spock was lucky to never run into young Jean Grey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skwirl posted:

Spock was lucky to never run into young Jean Grey.
Actually, he did