Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mackieman posted:

I enjoy avgeekery too, and have been known to snap photos of interesting aircraft and such, but I try not to be a pretentious douche about it. I do know people, though, who are so goddamn nerdy about that stuff that they start spouting off about Airbus vs. Boeing and other painfully stupid poo poo. Thankfully, there are usually beers around to drown out the stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with planespotters and photo takers, it's the airport equivalent of foamers that I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

Anyone been to the one in LGA? I'll be passing through there next week and I wonder if it's worth hitting the Centurion room over the Sky Club. Flying Delta so I'd have to take the terminal bus after I'm done drinking.

Definitely Centurion lounge. There's actual food, and it's good, on top of premium liquor and super-friendly staff.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Mackieman posted:

I enjoy avgeekery too, and have been known to snap photos of interesting aircraft and such, but I try not to be a pretentious douche about it. I do know people, though, who are so goddamn nerdy about that stuff that they start spouting off about Airbus vs. Boeing and other painfully stupid poo poo. Thankfully, there are usually beers around to drown out the stupid.
Let us regale the flights we have had on the Queen and the Princess.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

AgrippaNothing posted:

Let us regale the flights we have had on the Queen and the Princess.

I find BOAC to offer absolutely plenary service :monocle:

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Do you ever search trip reports and click only to see someone review their ride in economy lol

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014
Thinking about changing to AA from United. Is Platinum worth it in AA? It seems they don't have free upgrades like United. I might do the challenge but AA seems much worse than United out of O'Hare and I have Gold with United.

Lately I have been lucky with United and have been upgraded in 10 out of my last 12 flights.

Any opinions?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AA uses the 500 mile sticker process which in theory allows you to target specific segments/routes for upgrades but in practice reduces the number of upgrades you receive and is also Byzantine and obnoxious to manage.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

AA uses the 500 mile sticker process which in theory allows you to target specific segments/routes for upgrades but in practice reduces the number of upgrades you receive and is also Byzantine and obnoxious to manage.

Coming from US Airways this new policy is very annoying. I still book through the US Airways website rather than the American one because until they finally merge the booking systems together you still get free auto upgrades on flights booked through US.

Also Oneworld sucks for travel to Europe and I seriously miss the Star Alliance. I have an 11 hour overnight layover in Heathrow because I wanted to get my miles into my AA/US account and it was my only option that wasn't insanely expensive. Granted I'm probably going to expense a hotel room and it will end up costing my company exactly the same amount of money as if I had booked the expensive Oneworld flight but had to get the flight approved... woof.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 25, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I click book and I click add to upgrade list and I get upgraded. If I need more stickers I buy before I print boarding pass.

I guess it's harder than "automatic" but still pretty easy imo. It's not like they're physical stickers.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
As someone that only uses Delta, or SW if I have to, how does that work? I know in Delta, there is just a hierarchy of how the upgrade list is made, and then you compare the list to how many seats are available, and that's pretty much it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Exec plats upgrade at 100hours, unlimited upgrades

If room exists, plat upgrades at 72 hours, upgrades are subtracted when you check in.

If room exists, gold upgrades at 24 hours, upgrades are subtracted when you check in.

1-2 seats are left until boarding to account for misconnects. They are given to the next people on the list. Order within each bucket is determined by when you add yourself to the list.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sellouts posted:

I click book and I click add to upgrade list and I get upgraded. If I need more stickers I buy before I print boarding pass.

I guess it's harder than "automatic" but still pretty easy imo. It's not like they're physical stickers.

why would i buy those shits

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
To anyone in ORD tonight, AA flights are showing the wrong gate on the airport monitors. In typical AA fashion the gate agents don't give a poo poo.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

sellouts posted:

Exec plats upgrade at 100hours, unlimited upgrades

If room exists, plat upgrades at 72 hours, upgrades are subtracted when you check in.

If room exists, gold upgrades at 24 hours, upgrades are subtracted when you check in.

1-2 seats are left until boarding to account for misconnects. They are given to the next people on the list. Order within each bucket is determined by when you add yourself to the list.

Also anyone who is on a connecting flight has priority over anyone who is originating within the same status level (e.g. a platinum connecting who requested the upgrade yesterday will be ahead of all platinums originating at that airport). Don't ask me why but them's the rules. As an EXP who flew through DFW more than I can count this was abundantly clear when compared to flights where DFW was the destination.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I just don't give a poo poo about upgrade rules and get slightly confused whenever my pass has some low seat number sometimes.

As long as I can miles upgrade international (these days - never) I'm happy (again - never)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why would i buy those shits

When you're short one and miraculously clear a transcon

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Redeye roll call; how many of you do this? Do you have to? Why?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AgrippaNothing posted:

If you have a choice, don't. I've had to due to schedule a couple of times and it blows. A decade ago they weren't as crowded and you had a better chance of sleeping, but every time I've done it in the last five years it's been full. Plus all the babies scream all flight, either from disturbance or from being off schedule.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

AgrippaNothing posted:

My travel is usually Sunday to Thursday or Monday to Friday so I'll always take a redeye over losing the majority of Friday/Saturday. I would much rather get in early on Friday/Saturday than midday/night. If I do Sunday - Thursday I usually just take Friday off or Monday - Friday I reclaim some time the next week or whatever.

Honestly I really don't mind them but I am east coast based. If I had to take a red eye and go to work as soon as I landed I would be pretty annoyed. I would just fly out a day early and make the company pay for a hotel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AgrippaNothing posted:

I am east-coast based. In general, if it's lie-flat, sure. If not, I avoid it. I do not go in to the office the following day barring emergencies. Occasionally, I will have to go west to east from a meeting to a meeting, in which case I will do the redeye if there are no other ways to make both meetings.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

AgrippaNothing posted:

I just red-eyed from LAX to ATL last week. I did it in April as well, and I told myself I would never do it again. But then I did it again, and I hate myself for it. Its not worth it at all. I was pretty much worthless on Friday.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

app posted:

Also anyone who is on a connecting flight has priority over anyone who is originating within the same status level (e.g. a platinum connecting who requested the upgrade yesterday will be ahead of all platinums originating at that airport). Don't ask me why but them's the rules. As an EXP who flew through DFW more than I can count this was abundantly clear when compared to flights where DFW was the destination.
This has been eliminated, actually. Now it's just status, full fare vs. discount fare, and time of request.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

AgrippaNothing posted:

I make this trip 3 or 4 times a year and take the red eye but it is not required. Since I'm east coast based it is for the return trip. I usually take the red eye back Thursday or Friday night just so I don't lose the majority of a day to travel. If I come back on Thursday night I'm not expected to work on Friday but will 1/2 work if the flight was not bad. I can sleep anywhere so it's not a big deal for me.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

AgrippaNothing posted:

Never for work, occasionally for personal trips. If they sprung for a lie-flat, I'd consider it.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

AgrippaNothing posted:

Only for last minute bookings where the "real" flights are full. gently caress ORD.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

AgrippaNothing posted:

I get one more extra evening of holidays.

And everyone's actually loving asleep for a change. And no kids

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Usually take red eye from west coast to dtw on Friday. Otherwise I arrive like 5pm Saturday and don't get compensation for it (like extra time off sometime later)

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
I've done over nights from the west coast -> ORD a couple times this year, usually if I have to stay later the last day of my trip to finish up or whatever. The latest was Vancouver > ORD that landed at 4:30 am on a Saturday. It was even extra bad because they didnt clear us through US customs on the Canadian side like they usually do so we had to sit on the tarmac to wait for CBP to actually man the booths :[

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

DJCobol posted:

I just red-eyed from LAX to ATL last week. I did it in April as well, and I told myself I would never do it again. But then I did it again, and I hate myself for it. Its not worth it at all. I was pretty much worthless on Friday.

I'm the same, I'm completely worthless the next day and end up sleeping most of the day anyway, so then the following day can be rough to from shifting my sleep schedule. I've found that I'd personally rather sleep semi-normally that night and just travel during the next day then travel that night and sleep the next day.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
The only thing worse than a redeye is a midcon redeye.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah that red eye lax to dfw is the worst. I haven't taken it in 10 years so hopefully it's gone away but I feel like it's around for early morning connections.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

Yeah that red eye lax to dfw is the worst. I haven't taken it in 10 years so hopefully it's gone away but I feel like it's around for early morning connections.

Ahahahah gently caress that plane.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's weird but pan cakes at a waffle house after a red eye feels good. You are still a sack of poo poo but some bad coffee followed by a red bull lunch will put you in high gear.

I guess it depends on which city then. If it's large cities then yeah lots to do. If it's lovely work small towns then it's just marathon coffee trips. For work then just push all meetings in the morning or afternoon

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

caberham posted:

It's weird but pan cakes at a waffle house after a red eye feels good. You are still a sack of poo poo but some bad coffee followed by a red bull lunch will put you in high gear.

I guess it depends on which city then. If it's large cities then yeah lots to do. If it's lovely work small towns then it's just marathon coffee trips. For work then just push all meetings in the morning or afternoon

Breakfast is always the best meal, especially when your body doesn't know what time it is.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Anyone have any insight into how companies choose a hotel for their employees? On our (the hotel) side of things it's a total mystery.

Just ran across an account for 19 persons in an airport hotel offering basically nothing you'd like when staying for the 22-40 days these folks are. Also it's at a significantly higher rate than the more conveniently located extended-stay property nearby.

It just seems like whoever did this hates the travelers.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sextro posted:

Anyone have any insight into how companies choose a hotel for their employees? On our (the hotel) side of things it's a total mystery.

Just ran across an account for 19 persons in an airport hotel offering basically nothing you'd like when staying for the 22-40 days these folks are. Also it's at a significantly higher rate than the more conveniently located extended-stay property nearby.

It just seems like whoever did this hates the travelers.

Often the fucks who work in an organization's accounting and travel offices in fact hate the people who do real work.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I bet it has something to do with Concur. The girl that handles my travel used to go on Concur and book whatever was cheapest. She's never traveled for work and we'd get trips with like 2 layovers and hotels 30 minutes (by car) from where we were working.

She's since had several stern conversations with my boss and it's gotten a lot better.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Used to do redeyes but now I refuse because I might get stuck on a JetBlue plane with the reduced pitch and it is impossible for me to sleep on them and definitely not possible for me on any mainline carrier. I spend Friday night in the remote city and burn Saturday morning flying back. Not as nice as having the weekend but it sure as gently caress beats the redeye.

We get to book all our own hotels as long as they are on the negotiated price list, regardless of what the price ends up being. The company allegedly gets a bulk credit at the end of the year for the difference in negotiated rates on both hotels and airfare if it the negotiated prices are cheaper than what we ended up paying. I'm fine with paying whatever, it's all rewards points to me.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

TheWevel posted:

I bet it has something to do with Concur. The girl that handles my travel used to go on Concur and book whatever was cheapest. She's never traveled for work and we'd get trips with like 2 layovers and hotels 30 minutes (by car) from where we were working.

She's since had several stern conversations with my boss and it's gotten a lot better.

You get somebody to book your trips? That must be weird. We all book our own trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Mackieman posted:

The only thing worse than a redeye is a midcon redeye.

I hear you. In fact SEA-EWR or SFO-PHL is preferable to SEA-IAD because its just a hair longer. By the time you get up there there's only like 3hrs for a nap anyhow. My colleague on the other coast, like 20years older than me loves them because he can cram so much more into his life and catch up on sleep later but he travels substantially less than I do.

I had to pull over and nap driving IAD to richmond, VA and was like why do i loving do this when i've been saying hell no for 10years. Guess I had to remind myself. I also don't take evening flights back to the west coast that often because then it's like a 22hr day for me sometimes.

Anyhow, gently caress the redeye.