Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, it's getting better reviews than I thought it would. Someone called it "Heavy Rain only done RIGHT."

What I've seen of the facial close-ups bugs me, though. Very uncanny valley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Yossarian posted:

Alien: Isolation is a good game?

it's a 4-5 hour game stretched far beyond its limits. i feel like i'm on crazy pills reading posts in this thread and reviews. i think only the rlm guys got it right.

if a guy doesn't think the fellas who did amnesia (which is a hundred times better) can do better with their new game horror games are doomed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's funny that they are selling Soma based off Amnesia when looking at it reminds me way more of Penumbra. Of course it's because so many people played Amnesia, but still.

The best advertisement they could do would be "The Chinese Room won't gently caress this one up"

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's a 4-5 hour game stretched far beyond its limits. i feel like i'm on crazy pills reading posts in this thread and reviews. i think only the rlm guys got it right.

if a guy doesn't think the fellas who did amnesia (which is a hundred times better) can do better with their new game horror games are doomed.
It felt like they really had a lot of pressure to make the game be much longer. Like, people will complain if a AAA game is "too short", so they gotta pad that out with daisy chained generators.

Still, the bar is set so low for first person horror that I really loved it as an overall experience. I played it in 30 min-1 hour chunks over a long period of time too, so that helped.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I'm pretty hopeful about Until Dawn but not ready to buy yet. The early reviews have been good but I'm waiting for more of the consensus opinion to filter in.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It felt like they really had a lot of pressure to make the game be much longer. Like, people will complain if a AAA game is "too short", so they gotta pad that out with daisy chained generators.

Still, the bar is set so low for first person horror that I really loved it as an overall experience. I played it in 30 min-1 hour chunks over a long period of time too, so that helped.

I usually play most horror games in short chunks like that, largely because my attention span is kind of short to begin with. Horror, though, tests that even further. If something can't keep me engaged without leaning over and over on jump scares, I have trouble playing it for that long. Honestly the only horror game I can remember playing in big stretches was Silent Hill 2, and that one I played all in one sitting.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's funny that they are selling Soma based off Amnesia when looking at it reminds me way more of Penumbra. Of course it's because so many people played Amnesia, but still.

The best advertisement they could do would be "The Chinese Room won't gently caress this one up"

I was a huge fan of tedious resource management systems, and bland enemies, so I was really angry when the sequel didn't have those things.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gameko posted:

I'm pretty hopeful about Until Dawn but not ready to buy yet. The early reviews have been good but I'm waiting for more of the consensus opinion to filter in.

Sony is pretty dumb selling it as a $60 boxed retail package. It's probably the only way to recoup costs after this thing has been delayed and through several revisions over 3-4 years but side-by-side with all the heavy hitters this year I'm just going to wait for the inevitable $20 Black Friday sale. This is definitely the kind of game they built the "share" button for but how many people are going to pull that trigger?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

DreamShipWrecked posted:

A Machine for Pigs still makes me kinda angry and I'm a person who tells people not to get mad at games.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

al-azad posted:

Sony is pretty dumb selling it as a $60 boxed retail package. It's probably the only way to recoup costs after this thing has been delayed and through several revisions over 3-4 years but side-by-side with all the heavy hitters this year I'm just going to wait for the inevitable $20 Black Friday sale. This is definitely the kind of game they built the "share" button for but how many people are going to pull that trigger?

Heavy Rain sold about 2 million copies. I think it is the type of game that people who don't even play games much kind of get into. Plus it plays into "how will the outcome of YOUR story play out?"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yodzilla posted:

A Machine for Pigs still makes me kinda angry and I'm a person who tells people not to get mad at games.

What was wrong with it?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

oldpainless posted:

What was wrong with it?

It was super short. There was way less tension than Dark Descent because of the unlimited lantern and no sanity mechanic. The twist became obvious way before the reveal. There was probably more stuff I've forgotten.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

A Machine for Pigs was publicised badly as a sequel to Amnesia, which people love for being tense af and also lots of hiding to prevent being killed by the naughty flesh/invisible monsters. AMFP is kinda Dear Esther in Victorian London, your character is in zero danger, and people hyped by the promo were incredibly disappointed.

it probably should have been marketed as a story-driven narrative horror with not much gameplay other than puzzles, but the story itself is also really silly

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ok I see. Thanks.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

admittedly the voice-acted part of WE ARE THE PIG was really funny

al-azad
May 28, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Heavy Rain sold about 2 million copies. I think it is the type of game that people who don't even play games much kind of get into. Plus it plays into "how will the outcome of YOUR story play out?"

I did buy Heavy Rain at launch and while I enjoyed my experience I'm not doing that again. Until Dawn isn't even an eye catching game like Heavy Rain was but it's being received well so I'll give it the benefit of doubt. I expected Sony to grab those Youtube/Twitch views hard, maybe even integrate streaming meta features like viewers voting on choices. I can think of two console games that did this and one was a bad randomized note collector horror game and the other a panty stealing simulator.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

it probably should have been marketed as a story-driven narrative horror with not much gameplay other than puzzles, but the story itself is also really silly

I thought the idea of a monstrous machine underneath London representing the evils of industrialization had a lot of potential, but the execution was awful. Which for me was actually worse than if the whole concept had been stupid from the start.

MORE PIG... MORE PIG!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I got an early copy of Until Dawn and so far, it's kind of giving me option paralysis; apparently I've set myself up for a really psychological murder mystery, but I've heard if you play your cards "right" it gets very Eli Roth.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

al-azad posted:

I did buy Heavy Rain at launch and while I enjoyed my experience I'm not doing that again. Until Dawn isn't even an eye catching game like Heavy Rain was but it's being received well so I'll give it the benefit of doubt. I expected Sony to grab those Youtube/Twitch views hard, maybe even integrate streaming meta features like viewers voting on choices. I can think of two console games that did this and one was a bad randomized note collector horror game and the other a panty stealing simulator.

I honestly think Until Dawn is more eye catching than Heavy Rain due to its horror film vibes. Also the whole "your choices matter down the line" and "different people can die" thing makes it seem a bit more interesting

al-azad
May 28, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I honestly think Until Dawn is more eye catching than Heavy Rain due to its horror film vibes. Also the whole "your choices matter down the line" and "different people can die" thing makes it seem a bit more interesting

After seeing Gametrailers' review I'm feeling more positive. Heavy Rain had an interesting setup but lost all tension in how fragmented it felt. This looks more like a Choose Your Own Adventure that cuts the options down to only the most important game changing bits and I can get behind that. Also love the idea that not reacting to QTEs is a viable option.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

FourLeaf posted:

I thought the idea of a monstrous machine underneath London representing the evils of industrialization had a lot of potential, but the execution was awful. Which for me was actually worse than if the whole concept had been stupid from the start.

MORE PIG... MORE PIG!

Seconding this. The concept is very solid and could have made for an amazing game, but the gameplay is paper-thin, the atmosphere is ineffective, and the writing is so far up its own rear end you'd need a winch to remove it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

al-azad posted:

After seeing Gametrailers' review I'm feeling more positive. Heavy Rain had an interesting setup but lost all tension in how fragmented it felt. This looks more like a Choose Your Own Adventure that cuts the options down to only the most important game changing bits and I can get behind that. Also love the idea that not reacting to QTEs is a viable option.

I really didn't like Heavy Rain, but one of my close friends did. But I get the feeling that if she liked that, then she is going to LOVE this. I can't even think of why I disliked Heavy Rain so much. I guess it was just boring?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

honestly the writers of A Machine for Pigs could tighten the concept a lot more by, well, not doing the a part of Mandus's soul is stuck in the Machine because he hates people; the tie-in with the (already stupid) Amnesia supernatural plot and; AZTEC HEART-EXTRACTIONS. i'm willing to forgive some of the superfluous language used as emulating the Victorian English style but by god MORE PIG is just so dumb

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 25, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Well, something about Until Dawn wasn't grabbing me, but Hell, this sounds like it might actually be worth checking out.

Of course, I don't have a PS4, so maybe I'll just check out some of the eventual LPs instead, but I'll definitely be keeping my eye on it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

blackguy32 posted:

I really didn't like Heavy Rain, but one of my close friends did. But I get the feeling that if she liked that, then she is going to LOVE this. I can't even think of why I disliked Heavy Rain so much. I guess it was just boring?

heavy rain was prime David Cage Needs An Editor. I don't know about the Helen Paige game but it attracted so little attention or acclaim it probably was even worse

tbf heavy rain gave us this (massive spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

Because the story was complete dogshit? Because David Cage is the biggest hack in the industry who makes anything Ken Levine shits out story-wise look like pure gold in comparison?

Ekster fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 25, 2015

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I prefer Chubby Rain.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

My favourite part of Machine for Pigs is when you're climbing up a ladder and an artifacted jpeg of a pig mask suddenly pops up on your screen accompanied by a loud noise like you're playing some crummy horror game made in Flash.

I think I've already mentioned this in this thread before but it'll never stop being funny to me. :shobon:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 25, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm still salty at how predictable and cliche most of the twists were in Machine of Pigs, and how the story boiled down to guy tries to kill everyone to prevent them from dying in war then kills himself to stop his own stupid plan

Seriously, I was so excited for another Amnesia game, and that's what we got :(

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I spent the first hour of a Machine for Pigs crawling around, expecting something to jump out of the mansion. Spent the next two hours walking cautiously, sure that while I hadn't seen anything scary yet, it was bound to appear soon. By the time I reached the end, I was leisurely strolling around and looking at the environments. In that sense, I was more than a little disappointed. I never played the original Amnesia, but I am familiar with it and was hoping for a similar experience.

As dumb as MORE PIGS was, I did enjoy the brief opportunity to see Victorian London [spoiler]swarming with pigs and monsters after you activate the Machine. It was nice to see your actions actually had consequences.

It's been a while since I played Heavy Rain, but I remember enjoying it at the time. It wasn't a revolutionary piece of work, but it kept my attention in the same way a TV show would. I have never been able to do the Lizard Trial without pausing the game frequently, and have never tried to complete the task with the scissors.

I do remember being confused by the aesthetics of each storyline, though. Madison and the Detective inhabit a world that looks very futuristic, while Ethan's surroundings are contemporary and Shelby's storyline is very 1950's.

EDIT: While I'm thinking of it, what was with Ethan's magic trances? Did it have a point beyond being a giant red herring?

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 25, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

EDIT: While I'm thinking of it, what was with Ethan's magic trances? Did it have a point beyond being a giant red herring?

Ethan and the Origami Killer were supposed to have a supernatural link, but they decided against supernatural elements some time in development. David Cage left those scenes in because he's a dumb hack.

EDIT: The game had legitimately exciting scenes in it which was nice but my main problem with it is that it's all glued together with a story written by the worst writer in the gaming industry, and that's saying something.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'll have some clips and my early impressions of Until Dawn up sometime this afternoon. Found out MY GIRLFRIEND has the day off as well so I actually have to do some non-gaming stuff today too... :(

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Amnesia, which people love for being tense af and also lots of hiding to prevent being killed by the naughty flesh/invisible monsters

I'm sympathetic to most complaints about Machine because it did mostly suck, but these people are wrong and bad. Hiding from a monster is the worst idea to hit games since pressing X to not die; it's boring, completely non-interactive, and wastes a totally arbitrary amount of time. It still kind of floors me that designers are so lazy about it - you could salvage something from the idea if there was a way and need to move rapidly between different hiding places, or combine it with distractions at key moments, or basically anything other than going to make tea while you wait for the monster to stop pretending it might look in the locker you're in. Amnesia was ok despite, not because of, any worthless hiding bullshit.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I LIKE hiding from monsters, it embraces the lovecraftian idea that the monsters are insurmountable and you can only survive by escaping their notice

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah I mean if it's not for you that's whatever but the prison section in Dark Descent was one of the most terrifying, anxiety inducing sequences in games for me simply because I knew there was something in there with me and all I could do was try and figure poo poo out as quickly as possible so it wouldn't cave my skull in.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I really hope Soma comes to a satisfying narrative conclusion because all of Frictional's other games have ended on a really goofy, weird note. They start out great and creepy and mysterious and then they Stephen King the gently caress out of the final parts of their games.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Captain Yossarian posted:

I LIKE hiding from monsters, it embraces the lovecraftian idea that the monsters are insurmountable and you can only survive by escaping their notice

By pointing your camera at the wall and tabbing out to browse cat pictures for a minute. I totally get the approach's theoretical appeal and I think it's worth exploring for the genre, but nobody is actually exploring it so far. Every game I'm aware of that's implemented the mandatory hiding thing has done it in the laziest and most tedious way imaginable.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Irony.or.Death posted:

By pointing your camera at the wall and tabbing out to browse cat pictures for a minute. I totally get the approach's theoretical appeal and I think it's worth exploring for the genre, but nobody is actually exploring it so far. Every game I'm aware of that's implemented the mandatory hiding thing has done it in the laziest and most tedious way imaginable.

Siren did it well with the idea of sightjacking, which was also an interesting approach to the "killer cam" you see in some horror movies.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Alien: Isolation will murder the gently caress out of you if you do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Promise? This is exactly why I haven't picked up Isolation so far despite my love of the film. How does it actually play out, then? I feel like every other post I read about the game mentions waiting for the Alien to leave, making for the exit, then watching the Alien pop right back out of the same spot and having to go back to hiding - it sounded even worse than the usual tedium, but I'd be really happy to have misjudged this one.

re: Siren, I'll definitely give it credit for doing something more interesting with the idea, but I'm not sure I'd go all the way to praising its execution. Caveat: I only played the original, maybe the design got more cohesive as they went. Is there a version you think works particularly well?