Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ionicism
Jun 18, 2005

Oh! You should kill her!

VagueRant posted:

I didn't mention it in my list of predictions, but I think the Tobanga - the creepy totem thing staring at the girls' dorm that I've had a watchful eye on since episode 1 - will be a COMPLETE red herring.

I wonder if the glyphs are too.

The glyphs are apparently a reference to a book by Alain Damasio (co-founder of Dontnod), so yeah, they're probably a red herring. Each glyph refers to a character in the book. There might be a meaning related to the book in the graffiti, but probably not one also related to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

ionicism posted:

The glyphs are apparently a reference to a book by Alain Damasio (co-founder of Dontnod), so yeah, they're probably a red herring. Each glyph refers to a character in the book. There might be a meaning related to the book in the graffiti, but probably not one also related to the game.

Well that explains it! Hindsight being what it is, it does have an inside joke, Easter egg feel to it.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Max, chill out for a little bit.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It begins.:tinfoil:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Holy poo poo, Life really is Strange.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Man, viral marketing is really out of hand these days.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
That explains the thousands of birds circling my city all day.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."

Guys it's actually happening :ohdear:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Gwaint posted:

Guys it's actually happening :ohdear:

Sadly, it's not. That image is a complete lie.

http://www.snopes.com/science/astronomy/brightmars.asp

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

you don't say

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phew, and I was worried that the orbit of Mars would indeed jump up a few dozen million miles. Thanks for clearing that up, good citizen.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Viridiant posted:

Sadly, it's not. That image is a complete lie.

http://www.snopes.com/science/astronomy/brightmars.asp

Why would that image lie to me that image has no reason to be called aliar you are mean my uncle sent this image to me in an email and you are calling him a liar!!!!!

MEANIE!!!!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I dunno guys check out this photo I took last night

:tinfoil:

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
You know I have wondered, if the two moons in the sky hasn't happened yet, how did they have the picture to show us what it would look like??

Clearly Max took the picture and went back in time to post it on social media or some shenanigans :tinfoil:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I mean, people believe all sorts of poo poo on the internet. I'm sorry for making sure???

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm playing through again at the moment and going back and forth on whether to attack or defend David in episode 3. On the one hand, the guy's a lovely stepfather and his actions like hitting Chloe and putting up surveillance cameras are awful, but on the other he still does care about his family and even the students and knows there's something rotten in Arcadia worth being paranoid about. The defense Max gives if you go that way isn't very stirring either, since it focuses on "we can't prove anything" and willfully ignoring the evidence you found rather than trying to reconcile the family. I'd prefer if the three of them could work things out but I don't want to give him a free pass for his behaviour either.

What did you guys pick there, and what was your thinking?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I sided against David when I played. It was cathartic to have Max unleash on him for all the assholish behavior he's shown, whatever his intentions are.

Although I never realized until a replay though that there's a scene where David hits Chloe. I was so bad at the game in the first episode that I wasn't able to hide and completely spaced out on the rewind, so he just came in and yelled at both Max and Chloe for a while. I can see how that would really color someone's opinion of him, because even though I sided against him, I still had a lot of sympathy for the character.

I'm also doing a second play where I'll be defending him, just to see what the other side is like. I'm on episode 3 with my replay now, and I'm pretty impressed by all the little things that change according to what decisions you make.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Dolash posted:

I'm playing through again at the moment and going back and forth on whether to attack or defend David in episode 3. On the one hand, the guy's a lovely stepfather and his actions like hitting Chloe and putting up surveillance cameras are awful, but on the other he still does care about his family and even the students and knows there's something rotten in Arcadia worth being paranoid about. The defense Max gives if you go that way isn't very stirring either, since it focuses on "we can't prove anything" and willfully ignoring the evidence you found rather than trying to reconcile the family. I'd prefer if the three of them could work things out but I don't want to give him a free pass for his behaviour either.

What did you guys pick there, and what was your thinking?

I sided with David, he was pretty much in the right at that part, he was tired and stressed and just wanted to have some of his wife's cooking and take a nap, and he was right about who was to blame for the break in, plus he's always looking out for Chloe in his own way, like if you leave the message on the answering machine he'll say that Chloe was at home so it couldn't have been her truck at Blackwell, David's well-meaning even if he's bad at showing it, he's tried to reach out to Chloe but she's not ready for a step-father, so he's accepted his role as the hard-rear end of the family because he can at least look out for her that way, even if it means things between them won't improve

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Although I never realized until a replay though that there's a scene where David hits Chloe. I was so bad at the game in the first episode that I wasn't able to hide and completely spaced out on the rewind, so he just came in and yelled at both Max and Chloe for a while. I can see how that would really color someone's opinion of him, because even though I sided against him, I still had a lot of sympathy for the character.

One of the interesting quirks of time travel is whether you can hold people accountable for actions you know they would do if you allowed events to unfold a certain way. Hitting your step-daughter is a whole step beyond just being a hard-rear end, but even if you step in to change the argument so it doesn't happen he still had that capacity in him. The old Minority Report problem, I guess. Also makes me think of how people react to Warren and whether they find him creepy or not, which probably depends on whether their Max is reciprocating his interest or trying to deflect it.

It seems to be a recurring problem with Chloe where she puts you in these ultimatum, me-or-them situations. It feels like a side-effect of Chloe's resentment over Max abandoning her that she has to frame everything that way, where every disagreement means Max isn't her friend and is ready to ditch her all over again. I have to wonder if there'll be some kind of "score" system in some part of episode 5 like there was for Kate and Frank where the exact number of times you had her back will matter.

Edit: VVVV Chloe staying dead for all of episode 5 would be the most shocking twist in the whole series. Girl's like Lazarus.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 29, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Dolash posted:

I have to wonder if there'll be some kind of "score" system in some part of episode 5 like there was for Kate and Frank where the exact number of times you had her back will matter.
All to determine exactly how dead she is.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I went against David, and likely will on any replay, dude may have had good intentions but hiding cameras from your family is pretty hosed up.
I may try to be nicer to him in future play throughs, but not on that point.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
David wasn't wrong but he definitely needed a kick in the rear end to keep him in line, because he was definitely going too far.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
space. a space adventure.
1- shot! you are in a space station also ranger
2- shot!? You might be in GBS.?!
0 - SH0WW!!- SOmething EoE

gently caress ALL ARTISTS

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

gently caress I guess I got a 4. this game sucks

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

nobody is going to space, mate.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Latte Lottie posted:

nobody is going to space, mate.

thats ep 6 i got a friend at TOG'S

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Latte Lottie posted:

gently caress I guess I got a 4. this game sucks
Uh oh, better rewind!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Jesus Christ this game. :stare:

Do the creators just really hate Chloe or something? The second Max got drugged I hit right mouse button, and then slammed it down repeatedly after what happened.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Spudd posted:

Jesus Christ this game. :stare:

Do the creators just really hate Chloe or something? The second Max got drugged I hit right mouse button, and then slammed it down repeatedly after what happened.

It's strange if you don't hate Chloe.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I like Chloe. :shrug:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I do too. It's hard for me to hate Chloe when almost all her actions are understandable, and when she's also still a teenager.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Paladinus posted:

It's strange if you don't hate Chloe.

I guess Life is Strange then

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
David is overprotective with the cameras but if he has knowledge of the poo poo that is going down and who is involved, he may just want to catch Nathan on tape as solid proof that even the Prescott's won't be able to buy themselves out of. He all but says that he suspects what is happening in episode 4 if you've sided with him.

If he was too obvious with why he was setting up cameras, the Prescott's would get rid of him. As it stands, he just looks like some security nut who wants to put cameras everywhere.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
where does hitting chloe and filming his own family without their knowledge fit into this master plan

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I came around to Chloe much more in Episode 3. I think she was intended to be a difficult character to like at first when the game wanted you to doubt who to trust.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rincewind posted:

where does hitting chloe and filming his own family without their knowledge fit into this master plan

To be fair, Chloe did steal one of his guns, and there are laws around that kind of thing, especially since she is also using drugs. US Federal law says drug users can't possess firearms, even medical marijuana users. She's committing a felony and people who do that tend to get many years of free room and board.

I understand that if you don't erase the phone call from the police about Chloe's truck being spotting during the B&E into the school, David covers for her. Since that would likely be a Class A felony (assuming Chloe had her pistol with her), she'd be looking at 20 years in prison just for that. David may even be committing a crime himself by lying to the cops.

I don't think he understands how to sit down and tell her that what she is doing will land her in prison, and Chloe wouldn't listen anyway. So he handles it in private, probably the way he was treated as a kid when he hosed up. That doesn't make it right, but if David was a dick he easily could have ratted out Chloe and not have to worry about seeing her until she hit 40.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Nathan knows that David is onto them. When Chloe is snooping through Blackwell's files in Episode 3, she comes across one of his screeds to the effect of "David M. helps me follow who he follows". His surveillance may not be as useful as some of you are suspecting.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Spudd posted:

The second Max got drugged I hit right mouse button, and then slammed it down repeatedly after what happened.

Thinking about this, since physical objects that are touching you come with you on a rewind, presumably even if you could rewind after getting drugged, the actual drugs in your bloodstream would stay there. So even after reversing all you could do is fall down and mumble before passing out. Presumably this also means that if Max ever gets shot, we're screwed. You can rewind but you can't make the bullet disappear. That's some weird paradoxical way to die.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rincewind posted:

This is why I like the game. David is neither an evil person or a hero. He's just a guy who doesn't know how to adjust to life after war and has no idea how to reach Chloe. He cares about her but can do stupid poo poo like that.

Most of the characters are like that. They're people with good and bad traits, and you can see all sides of them depending on how you interact with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

BobTheJanitor posted:

Thinking about this, since physical objects that are touching you come with you on a rewind, presumably even if you could rewind after getting drugged, the actual drugs in your bloodstream would stay there. So even after reversing all you could do is fall down and mumble before passing out. Presumably this also means that if Max ever gets shot, we're screwed. You can rewind but you can't make the bullet disappear. That's some weird paradoxical way to die.

Yeah, it's pretty much 'Daybreak' rules in terms of traveling back in time.

• Locked thread