Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We had a 250000 acre fire here last week. But now we're getting the smoke from Oregon and Washington. Going outside is pretty bleh right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Don't fly your goddamn drones over a park/wilderness area. gently caress you. Go walk around and find the poo poo you lost or just deal with it. Those things aren't quiet or comparable to aircraft noise at all. If I want the constant sound of buzzing I'll spend June in the Winds and actually get some enjoyment out of it.

It's not 'cool,' man.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Don't fly your goddamn drones over a park/wilderness area. gently caress you. Go walk around and find the poo poo you lost or just deal with it. Those things aren't quiet or comparable to aircraft noise at all. If I want the constant sound of buzzing I'll spend June in the Winds and actually get some enjoyment out of it.

It's not 'cool,' man.

Since he's part of S&R apparently I don't feel as annoyed about it as I could see them being useful in a rescue effort but I'm still going to sound like a luddite here and say drones are really annoying toys and probably going to get smacked down by some legislation in the future after one finally smashes into an airplane at an airport.

A Kpro posted:

We had a 250000 acre fire here last week. But now we're getting the smoke from Oregon and Washington. Going outside is pretty bleh right now.

My dad has been on a fishing trip in the Sawtooth's for the past week, I'm curious to hear how bad the smoke was.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Levitate posted:

My dad has been on a fishing trip in the Sawtooth's for the past week, I'm curious to hear how bad the smoke was.

I'll be heading out to the White Clouds this weekend. It's the range across the Salmon River from the Sawtooths, so I should have some smoky pics up.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

REI shipped my Quarter Dome 3 crazy fast. Original delivery date was Wednesday, instead it showed up today. A nice surprise for sure, man, what a light tent. I was going to get the QD2, but for like another 6 ounces and an additional 4 inches pack length I got the next size up.

I set it up solo in about 10 minutes even with a 20 mph breeze. Very pleased with it so far, can't wait to try it on the trail.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Last time it was salmonberries. This time it was blueberries! I decided to bring some back with me.

Turns out, 2 Nalgenes will hold about 3lbs of blueberries.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 23, 2015

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Quote is not Edit

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Lake Wynoochee WA. About 6 miles of scenic trail + about 10 miles of face-high vegetation covered in spiders. Still a pretty fun hike. :)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Went on my first real legit (but short) hike this weekend. First time to Colorado. Visiting a friend in Fort Collins and we went to Rocky Mountain National Park. We got there later than intended and I'm slow (plus we saw clouds we didn't like), so we didn't get to complete the trail. But I'm 100% sold on hiking as a good hobby:

Nymph Lake

Trees heading away from Nymph Lake

Continental Divide

Dream Lake (Hallett Peak in the background)

Rocks overlooking Dream Lake (counts as rock climbing!)

Grand Lake, this was after the hike and we stayed here a couple days

The Rockies are pretty as gently caress.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Looking on advice for a couple piece of gear. My girlfriend and I are looking to invest in actual backpacking type gear from our normal tent/camping setup, which is just a like 8lb Coleman tent that we would split the weight on and lightweight warm weather sleeping bags. We both already have nice ~50L packs so we were looking for recommendations on a 2 person tent and sleeping bags. Our budget is somewhere around $150-200 for the tent and maybe $100-150 per bag. The gear probably won't be used outside of Spring-Fall. We are going to try and go to Colorado in a few weeks for a 2-3 day hike, which I saw recommended 15* sleeping bags for most of September.

One other question, it seems like a lot of the areas we were looking at in Colorado require bear canisters. Are they available at a lot of places to rent or do you have to buy one?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can rent bear cans from REI and most national parks if they require them. You can also rent pretty much anything else from REI and the store in Denver is amazing. So if you're not looking to buy just yet, I would check that out.

My wife and I really like our Big Agnes stuff. I think price/performance wise they are great. I'm not sure where you're going in September, but make sure you are looking at temperature for that elevation. There can be a big difference in Denver at 5k and RMNP at 10k.

Also if you're from sea level, be very careful about altitude sickness. It can be a pretty big deal if you're affected by it.

Also get a 2.5 or 3 person tent for 2 people. I feel like it you're solo camping a 1 person tent or bivy will work fine. As soon as you get to 2 people you need the extra room. Maybe that's just my opinion though.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 25, 2015

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
For tents, check out the REI Half Dome 2 Plus. Weighs about 4.5 lbs, is super easy to set up, and is nicely sized for two people plus packs. I think it should be in your price range, although it doesn't come with a footprint ($30 extra), which is kind of shite. I've been using a standard IKEA tarp and it's fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just get a sheet of Tyvek for like $3. Way lighter than the official footprints and dirt cheap. Super effective too.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't think any tents come with footprints. I don't know if that's a new thing or what, but I haven't seen any tents at all with a footprint.

My wife and I ended up with the Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL3 and we love it, although it doesn't look like REI sells them anymore. That's a shame, because although REI seems to sell a lot of different Big Agnes tents, there doesn't seem to be an equivalent.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Internet Explorer posted:

Also get a 2.5 or 3 person tent for 2 people. I feel like it you're solo camping a 1 person tent or bivy will work fine. As soon as you get to 2 people you need the extra room. Maybe that's just my opinion though.

If you put two people into a two person tent then they better loving like each other, that's all I'm saying.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Our first tent was supposedly a two person tent. We took it car camping, and got completely soaked because our heads and feet touched both ends during an overnight rainstorm. Maybe the tent was built for people 5 feet and under, but even laying in example tents in store at MEC, the two person tents felt super cramped. And this is coming from a couple. My husband and I have completely agreed that a three person tent is the only way to go.That extra space is incredible.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey
We have a Eureka Spitfire 2. It's not too heavy (~4 lbs), and it fits my husband, me, our 25 lb dog, and most of our stuff comfortably. It MSRPs in your price range, but you can often find it on sale for about $120.

Cons: not free-standing and teeny-tiny vestibule

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Any Osprey backpack owners here care to share their thoughts on their packs? Specifically the Exos 58 and/or Atmos AG 50? I'm pretty interested in both of them as packs for wild camping trips and eventually a 3 week trip in Nepal but I can't really decide between them. I know the Atmos is more expensive with slightly less volume but the suspension system is interesting and I like the separated sleeping bag pouch. The Exos on the other hand is slightly cheaper and larger which may be better to hold my DSLR.

I've looked at a few reviews for both of them and tried both of them on in store, they're both very comfortable and I can't really decide. It would be good to hear people's experiences with them and if there are any glaring faults with either of them that I can keep in mind.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

NaDy posted:

Any Osprey backpack owners here care to share their thoughts on their packs? Specifically the Exos 58 and/or Atmos AG 50? I'm pretty interested in both of them as packs for wild camping trips and eventually a 3 week trip in Nepal but I can't really decide between them. I know the Atmos is more expensive with slightly less volume but the suspension system is interesting and I like the separated sleeping bag pouch. The Exos on the other hand is slightly cheaper and larger which may be better to hold my DSLR.

I've looked at a few reviews for both of them and tried both of them on in store, they're both very comfortable and I can't really decide. It would be good to hear people's experiences with them and if there are any glaring faults with either of them that I can keep in mind.

I've got the Exos and I've found it to be very comfortable. I don't know that I like the simplicity in storage design, but that's a personal choice I guess. Of course like with most of their packs, the hip belt pockets are kinda useless for non-tiny items.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

dms666 posted:

Looking on advice for a couple piece of gear. My girlfriend and I are looking to invest in actual backpacking type gear from our normal tent/camping setup, which is just a like 8lb Coleman tent that we would split the weight on and lightweight warm weather sleeping bags. We both already have nice ~50L packs so we were looking for recommendations on a 2 person tent and sleeping bags. Our budget is somewhere around $150-200 for the tent and maybe $100-150 per bag. The gear probably won't be used outside of Spring-Fall. We are going to try and go to Colorado in a few weeks for a 2-3 day hike, which I saw recommended 15* sleeping bags for most of September.

One other question, it seems like a lot of the areas we were looking at in Colorado require bear canisters. Are they available at a lot of places to rent or do you have to buy one?

Sleeping bag talk:

I just bought a Kelty Ignite 20 degree bag earlier this year because the price was right. It's down so it compresses down to about the size of a football and weighs about 2.5lbs. It's a Kelty so it has a lifetime warranty and it zips from the top and from the bottom so you can adjust how open you want it on warmer nights. Looks like it's $123 right now w/ promo code STW82015 at checkout. The longer length can be gotten for $10 more.

If you want a no-frills low-cost warm weather bag, it's hard to beat this one for $25. I've used it summer camping in Texas (which means I just laid on top of it) but I wouldn't trust it much below 50 degrees at night unless you had a blanket or some warm clothes as an option to supplement with in a pinch. It is synthetic and also crunches down to about the size of a football with the included compression bag. I know a lot of guys in here give ultra cheap bags the side eye, but if you go in with an understanding of what you're dealing with, there's nothing wrong with bringing the right tool for the job even if that is a cheap tool.

Bottom Liner posted:

Just get a sheet of Tyvek for like $3. Way lighter than the official footprints and dirt cheap. Super effective too.

Yes

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kaal posted:

If you put two people into a two person tent then they better be loving

:v:

Anyone have any suggestions for a 1 person ultralight tent with short poles? I'm doing a big bikepacking trip/race and a lot of it will be through swampy marshlands in Florida and my hammock setup might not do so well there. The trick is the poles have to fit in my frame bag (19 inches).

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I have one of the Kelty Cosmic Down 20's and I've used it for four years and its held up great. Only now is the down starting to bunch up. For a $99 bag I've been really happy. I'd have no problem getting another one for summer hiking.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

My wife and I use a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 and it's fine. Quite snug, yes, but no real issues. I'm about 6' and don't have a problem with it being too short, it's mainly snug width wise. A good tip is to connect the higher up tent-to-fly clips and then run the upper guy lines on the sides just down to the lower stake outs (I mean you don't have to stake out the guy lines far away or do anything else with them, just run them down to the stakes you already have on the sides). That pulls the wall of the tent out some more and keeps it from feeling like it's sagging in on you.

That said we don't keep much gear in the tent, just clothes and small odds and ends. Still probably room to put mostly empty packs at the feet though.

As for ground sheets, lots of people say they're not really required and go without them, but your mileage may vary depending on the terrain. I made one out of polycryo plastic that's even more lightweight and water proof than tyvek, but it is a bit fragile.

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for a 1 person ultralight tent with short poles? I'm doing a big bikepacking trip/race and a lot of it will be through swampy marshlands in Florida and my hammock setup might not do so well there. The trick is the poles have to fit in my frame bag (19 inches).

A lot of the ultra light tents use trekking poles as their supports, and that might actually work for you...just might be more $$ to spend

The Tarptent Pro Trail has optional poles you can buy to set it up or use trekking poles, but I'm not sure what the length of the front pole is, it might be more than 19 inches. The reason I'm thinking trekking poles might be useful is that some collapse down pretty short, but on the downside they're kinda useless for you otherwise since you're biking.

You can also guy out the front to a tree or something and forego a front pole if you think there might be enough around to do that.

http://www.tarptent.com/protrail.html

Of course I typed all that out and then realized I have my UL2 tent poles sitting right behind me so I measured them and they seem to be under 19 inches, so I suspect the 1 person Fly Creek UL tent would work

Levitate fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 25, 2015

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

dedian posted:

I've got the Exos and I've found it to be very comfortable. I don't know that I like the simplicity in storage design, but that's a personal choice I guess. Of course like with most of their packs, the hip belt pockets are kinda useless for non-tiny items.

Nice, yeah I think I'm actually leaning towards the Exos as it's cheaper, larger and the most important aspect - I prefer the colour scheme. As long as the Osprey Packsizer app is accurate I'll be getting a Medium.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Looks like the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 packs down to 4.5" x 16". The Fly Creek UL1 and Seed House SL1 pack down under 19" length as well. For a quick rundown with some photos of comparisons between the Seed House and Copper Spur, you can refer back to my post here. I didn't include the Fly Creek because it's not free-standing, although it is the lightest of the bunch.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Pretty sure the Fly Creek is free standing, it's that you can't pitch just the fly without also having the footprint

At least, I can certainly pitch the tent of the UL2 free standing and the UL1 just seems to be a smaller version.

Actually, even their website says it's free standing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fly Creek UL1 looks perfect. Found a good price on one too. Sweet.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Hungryjack posted:

If you want a no-frills low-cost warm weather bag, it's hard to beat this one for $25. I've used it summer camping in Texas (which means I just laid on top of it) but I wouldn't trust it much below 50 degrees at night unless you had a blanket or some warm clothes as an option to supplement with in a pinch. It is synthetic and also crunches down to about the size of a football with the included compression bag. I know a lot of guys in here give ultra cheap bags the side eye, but if you go in with an understanding of what you're dealing with, there's nothing wrong with bringing the right tool for the job even if that is a cheap tool.

Yes

That bag is hot garbage and you would be better off just buying an XXL set of sweatpants to layer over your clothing to sleep in. In a hammock I, a usually super hot sleeper, would wake up shivering at like 60f. It also feels like a trash bag and is about as comfortable to sleep with. Like, sure, it is only $25 but I would rather spend three times that to get something that has a more pleasant fabric.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

Pretty sure the Fly Creek is free standing, it's that you can't pitch just the fly without also having the footprint

At least, I can certainly pitch the tent of the UL2 free standing and the UL1 just seems to be a smaller version.

Actually, even their website says it's free standing.

Looks like it is technically free standing, so I stand corrected. What I meant was that unless you stake out the foot area, it's going to collapse onto your legs and feet, not unlike a bivy would. In that sense, it does not hold its full shape solely with its internal structure the way someone might expect it to.

bunnielab posted:

That bag is hot garbage and you would be better off just buying an XXL set of sweatpants to layer over your clothing to sleep in. In a hammock I, a usually super hot sleeper, would wake up shivering at like 60f. It also feels like a trash bag and is about as comfortable to sleep with. Like, sure, it is only $25 but I would rather spend three times that to get something that has a more pleasant fabric.

In fairness, I bought it this summer and I've only ever used it on really hot hammock camping trips. I didn't notice the fabric being uncomfortable despite being a pair of running shorts away from completely naked on it. But I'm not terribly surprised to hear that a $25 sleeping bag isn't top quality :)

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Climbed Kintla Peak, 10,101 feet, 3 days, 44 miles, and a few legendary bushwacks.

There's my mountain, to the right of the glacier. You can see pretty much the entire route, right up that ridge.

I camped undesignated to get closer to the mountain. Here's the other side of the pass I stayed at the first night.

and Kintla and Kinnerly in the morning.

Almost at Kintla's long ridgewalk.

Top of Kintla, looking at Canada. No great summit shots, it was getting late in the day, and it's been pretty smokey lately.

Back at basecamp that night, pretty good days work. Kintla's the third tallest in GNP and is the highest point I've been to in the park.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So as promised I hit up the White Cloud mountain range on Sunday. The goal was Caulkens Peak, a twin summitted 11500 foot mountain in the heart of Idaho.

There was an old mining rig at the trailhead, looked like a legit operation at one point.

For some reason the lake was called Ocalkens.

The basin just kind of ends

The feature in front of me is called the Chinese Wall. Not nearly as impressive as the one in Montana though. And it was smoky.

Slide Lake, Hook Lake, Sheep Lake, Neck Lake, Walter Lake, Boulder Lake, Sapphire Lake, Cirque Lake, Cove Lake.

There were more lakes. All I had to do was traverse the .5 mile ridge to the other summit to get a view. But it was 6.2 miles and 4700 feet to get to the first summit and I went for a 20 mile run the day before. Laziness got the best of me and I went home.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I've been working my way through this thread, but it's huge, so forgive me if this is a repeat.

I'm in Rhode Island, and this year has been my first year as an adult, going out into the woods regularly. I've done some camping trips (most notably, a 4500 mile motorcycle ride from Austin TX to Mt Rushmore, camping from the bike the whole way), but never as a regular thing.

My question - What are some good recommendations on grocery store dehydrated foods? Things like Instant Rice, or the Idaho Loaded Mashed Potatoes? I've found that "backpacking food" is normally some unpleasant mix of expensive, unhealthy, and salty. I've had some luck mixing up my own dehydrated foods, so I'm curious if there are other gems I can find in regular stores that I might have overlooked.

Pagan fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 26, 2015

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Check out freezerbagcooking.com but use archive.org to load the page from like 2005 before they pulled all their recipes offline to sell a book. If you like it, maybe buy the book.

The turkey and stuffing recipe was outstanding. The chicken couscous was mediocre. If you want to be even more simple, get some of the Idahoan "just add water" mashed potatoes like you mentioned and add a packet of chicken or tuna to it. I haven't gotten sick of it yet. Bring a little spice container. I bring two. Salt/pepper and cumin/Tony Chacherie

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
One of our favorite trail meals.

Idaho instant mashed red potatoes with a little olive oil and some salami or dry chicken. It brings tears of joy every time. For a non nutritious morale booster, instant stuffing tastes great despite the lack of calories. Toss olive oil in the stuffing as well for added calories.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

NaDy posted:

Nice, yeah I think I'm actually leaning towards the Exos as it's cheaper, larger and the most important aspect - I prefer the colour scheme. As long as the Osprey Packsizer app is accurate I'll be getting a Medium.

Ended up getting an Atmos AG 50 as I went back into the store and tried on both again with more weights in the bags, Atmos became significantly more comfortable with more weight in. The Exos felt like it was digging into my shoulders too much, the way the Atmos hugs you is actually pretty amazing, the pack just felt perfectly even all down my shoulders and waist, it's mad. Also managed to find the Atmos for a significant discount online so happy days!

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

NaDy posted:

Ended up getting an Atmos AG 50 as I went back into the store and tried on both again with more weights in the bags, Atmos became significantly more comfortable with more weight in. The Exos felt like it was digging into my shoulders too much, the way the Atmos hugs you is actually pretty amazing, the pack just felt perfectly even all down my shoulders and waist, it's mad. Also managed to find the Atmos for a significant discount online so happy days!

My wife has the Aura 50, which is the women-specific version of the Atmos. She loves the suspension system on it and it's big enough to cram a bear can in should she need to.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just a heads up that campsaver.com is doing their annual 20% sale to compete with REI. I'm glad that they are around, their even starting to make their own equipment now. Always good to have competition, hopefully they can compete with REI and push them to get a bit cheaper.

Food talk. I have a crazy friend that got me hooked on backpacking baked potatoes! He basically bakes them and puts in cheese, butter, etc and wraps them in foil. Somehow they're still soft and delicious even after a day on the trail. Also look into making Logan Bread which is a favorite of mine:
http://sectionhiker.com/logan-bread-recipe/

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Hungryjack posted:

My wife has the Aura 50, which is the women-specific version of the Atmos. She loves the suspension system on it and it's big enough to cram a bear can in should she need to.

I'm definitely looking forward to scrambling my way up some Scottish hills with it on that's for sure! No bears though which is a shame.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

REI doesn't happen to do a 20% off for labor day sale or anything like that do they? I can't remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Levitate posted:

REI doesn't happen to do a 20% off for labor day sale or anything like that do they? I can't remember

They usually do, I just got a flyer for a sale but it didn't have the member 20% off any one item discount so that was confusing.