Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

GotLag posted:

What are those white/pale grey things? And are they just sitting on top of the ground?

Concrete anchors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Well, if you're going to do a crap job building it, might as well make it ugly too.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Well, if you're going to do a crap job building it, might as well make it ugly too.

I hope they seal their deck before it rains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY6CiLH-_YM

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

So wait, is that OSB they've dropped down as the floor?

Pretty sure it is bags of Post Haste discarded in the first photo too. I don't think that stuff is strong enough for a deck.

Home Depot apparently will give anyone that walks in the door a free consult for deck planning that basically includes the entire plan, step by step instructions and shopping list. It is unfortunate that the people that need this sort of thing most don't care to access it.

Or maybe they are trying to get on Holmes on Homes?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
If they just want a flat spot to put a swinging chair why don't they just put down some pavers or something? Knowing them they'd put them directly on the grass and call it done.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Baronjutter posted:

Knowing them they'd put them directly on the grass and call it done.

That would be more structurally sound, so it'd still be an improvement.

Pretty sure that's not actually plywood they're using as decking, if you zoom in on the edge over the joist, I think you can see individual boards. But they're tight up against each other, no air gap that I can see.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Antifreeze Head posted:

So wait, is that OSB they've dropped down as the floor?

I wish. That would just be layers of amazing.

They're just laying boards without any sort of pattern to it, so there will be two really ugly joints down the middle of the deck. I assume most people would consider doing a brick like pattern so it looks good.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

GotLag posted:

I hope they seal their deck before it rains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY6CiLH-_YM

These guys did it for real: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjszSeQlTBM

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

On the topic of terrible decks: some of the treads on my deck stairs seem to be rotting out, and some of the risers are popping out. I'm going to replace them shortly, but I'm considering doing it with composite decking instead of wood. And while I'm at it, doing the surface of the deck the same. I'd like to leave the rest of it as-is, though, namely the underlying structure and the railings. So I'm looking for a sanity check on this. Bad idea, good idea, etc? Am I going to be looking at a hideous franken-deck, or is it not so bad?

For reference, it's this deck, about, oh, 16x12?

And these stairs, about 10' of climb:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
My parents built both a deck and a dock with composite decking and pressure-treated structure and they're holding up fine so far. The deck definitely looks like a monstrosity cause it uses salvaged first-gen composite that's ugly as sin, but other than that, no problems I'm aware of.

bandaid
Jan 13, 2008
I've been working with high end composite deck boards for work recently, and I can't recommend it. It might last 20 years with strength and color, but I can scratch them with my fingernail. If we put the deck down, then put ladders and tools on it to build something up higher, it scratches and gouges, flick a cigarette cherry on it, it melts.

I'd check out different brands in person before committing

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

bandaid posted:

I've been working with high end composite deck boards for work recently, and I can't recommend it. It might last 20 years with strength and color, but I can scratch them with my fingernail. If we put the deck down, then put ladders and tools on it to build something up higher, it scratches and gouges, flick a cigarette cherry on it, it melts.

I'd check out different brands in person before committing

Yeah the only good use we found for that stuff is making raised garden beds. It won't rot out, but it doesn't seem as durable a surface.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's actually REALLY good info, because we're selling the place next summer, and my dog goes up and down those stairs all day long, he's done a pretty good number on the bottom steps as he launches off towards the lawn. If the composite stuff is too soft, it'd look like it got tagged by a lawnmower inside a month, I bet.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
My father in law has composite decking and that stuff is freaking awesome. It's held up great for the last decade, you don't have to worry about it splintering, or treating it against UV/rain damage, and quite honestly it seems plenty resilient for chairs, tables, grills, dogs, and what have you getting scraped across it on a daily basis :shrug:

I'm planning on building my own deck next year, and I don't see any compelling reason *not* to go with composite (besides the price). Even then it pays for itself, being virtually maintenance free.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Yeah, my parents' deck is composite decking and it's been just fine for the past 6-7 years. Survived full-sun exposure, dogs, cats, and grandkids running all over it, and my occasional large-scale woodworking project with no major problems. There may be a couple scratches, but they're basically the same ones cedar or teak would have picked up without the maintenance requirements.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

OSU_Matthew posted:

My father in law has composite decking and that stuff is freaking awesome. It's held up great for the last decade, you don't have to worry about it splintering, or treating it against UV/rain damage, and quite honestly it seems plenty resilient for chairs, tables, grills, dogs, and what have you getting scraped across it on a daily basis :shrug:

I'm planning on building my own deck next year, and I don't see any compelling reason *not* to go with composite (besides the price). Even then it pays for itself, being virtually maintenance free.

Maybe it has improved since I used it. I just really was not impressed with it compared to wood. It is worth checking in to at least when he starts planning.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I looked at a house a few months back that had a deck and raised beds done in black plastic lumber. It was a couple of years old and still looked pretty good, if a little oppressive. They had cats and dogs and you could see loads of scratches if you looked closely but from a standing position it looked fine.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm not 100% sure on this, but the off-brand is the kind that scratches easy.
Trex is more scratch resistant, it's the same material as renewal by Andersen Windows (fiber-x)
Of course it's more expensive as well.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 28, 2015

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
The first-gen composites my parents used for their deck is the same stuff they make, like, institutional park benches out of, it's super thick, unbelievably heavy and has so much plastic in it that if you cut it with a fast saw the cut welds shut behind the blade ( :pwn: ) but I'm confident the composite boards are going to be sitting pretty right there in a hundred years when the timbers have rotted out from under them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

is that a cap soldered on to the pressure release?

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

That's it, close the thread. High-effort incompetence.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Where is the rest of the pipe?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

oh god

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Why would you do that?

I mean....just why?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
So it won't leak any more, makes sense to me

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

spog posted:

Why would you do that?

I mean....just why?

Malicious intent

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

That's one sick motherfucker.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:stonk:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

This is literally criminal, isn't it? It's a job- and/or site-ending move in industry.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

First off: :stonk:

Second off, this is super vague, but a while back someone linked this real good book for homebuilding and stuff on Amazon, does anyone recall what that book was?

VV That'll Be it VVV

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 30, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ExplodingSims posted:

Second off, this is super vague, but a while back someone linked this real good book for homebuilding and stuff on Amazon, does anyone recall what that book was?

Don't know if it's the one you were thinking of, but I'm rather fond of Housebuilding: A Do-It-Yourself Guide. It has a good breakdown of how houses are put together and what you need to know for accomplishing various tasks safely and accurately.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ExplodingSims posted:

VV That'll Be it VVV

youtube.com

Why would ever read a book when you can watch people actually do it?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

youtube.com

Why would ever read a book when you can watch people actually do it?

Videos are a lovely way to teach a ton of things. They don't have diagrams, they don't necessarily explain what they're doing, lots of instructional videos out there have lousy safety handling, etc. etc. etc. There's definitely situations where videos are handy, e.g. when learning a new skill, but there's just so many unknowns when it comes to housebuilding that you wouldn't even know what to search for if you're coming at it fresh.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
It's easier to monetize a video than it is a page of text. That's why there are so many video guides where text guides would be far more appropriate.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3ivoj6/canadaon_religious_challenges_to_condo_rules_or/

quote:

[Canada-ON] Religious challenges to condo rules, or can I found a religion to skirt a BBQ ban? (self.legaladvice)
submitted 1 day ago by [deleted]
Can I found a BBQ centric religion in order to skirt condo board rules? There's no legislation preventing me from having a BBQ aside from the condo board's rules.
Quick background; I'm in a stacked townhouse and I can see why there's a ban, however i'm in a top unit on the end, so the smoke from my BBQ on the balcony wafts away harmlessly. There are people with ground floor or middle units who have smoke wafting up into units above them. I've confirmed with the board that the ban isn't a requirement for our insurance coverage or anything like that. Condo bylaws are often boilerplate copy/paste things and this was just included when the board was formed.
I've done a bit of research and it seems that the pre-requisites for founding a recognised religious denomination aren't really that much. According to the Marriage Act these are the requirements.
Appointment and Dismissal of Clergy: Please supply us with the by-laws or rules of your denomination, which clearly sets out how your clergy members are appointed and dismissed.
A copy of your denomination's rites and usages respecting solemnization of marriage. An actual copy of your marriage ceremony is required.5
A copy of the form of worship, namely actions or practices of displaying reverence or veneration paid to a being or power regarded as supernatural or divine displayed by appropriate acts, rites and ceremonies.
A registration package for each clergy is required to include: i) a completed application; ii) a copy of your ordination or proof of appointment; iii) a letter of authorization from the governing official of your denomination permitting you to solemnize marriages according to that denomination's rites and usages.
A letter signed by three board members stating who will be the governing official for the denomination. The governing official will be responsible for keeping the records of all clergy registered under the denomination and report to the Registrar General any changes in status or addresses of clergy registered under their denomination.
A certified copy of the incorporation papers for your denomination is required. This will reflect the date and place of incorporation or founding of the religious body. A copy of your registration as a charity with Revenue Canada is also required.
A statement is required which reflects information about the congregation you will be serving. Please show the name and location of the church, and the number of members and adherents showing the extent and continuous growth. Include evidence that would indicate the length of time the denomination has been functioning inside or outside of Ontario.
A statement showing the organizational structure of your denomination explaining the procedure by which your governing official would be appointed or relieved of jurisdictional authority.
Signatures and addresses of at least 25 members of the denomination, excluding clergy and their families, petitioning us to register the denomination.
I could get a domain and website going pretty quick, write up some literature to satisfy the above requirements and get national and international members. I'm not looking to run any kind of tax scam so I'll pay for hosting and such out of pocket, not request money from my congregation or anything. I'm just looking to help myself and others free themselves from oppressive condo boards, HOAs, whatever.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Holy poo poo, there are other reasons behind a ban than "smoke". Like fire. When I lived in an apartment, one of the buildings went up because an upper level BBQ caught an eave on fire and it crawled across the roof and burned the whole drat building down.

That being said, the FD *could* have saved it, if the person responsible hadn't panicked and drove off in their car (and was drunk as well). By the time the fire system detected it, it was too late. Pretty much every exterior surface was starting to go up. It's a miracle nobody was killed. Some dogs and cats died.

The last I heard the company that owned the complex was looking to sue her for the replacement of the entire building (not sure if renter's insurance covers at fault for that amount, probably not) and the city was looking at bringing criminal charges.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
We had a genius who decided to bbq outside, then bring the still hot and full of charcoal grill into their patio closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Gardenator posted:

We had a genius who decided to bbq outside, then bring the still hot and full of charcoal grill into their patio closet.

Recently, a couple went camping and decided to bring their extinguished charcoal grill into the tent at night to keep the rain off it.

Turned out that
a) just cause it's not red, doesn't mean it isn't burning and
b) airflow into a tent isn't as good as you might think and certainly not enough to replace the oxygen used up by smouldering charcoal