Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Invictus posted:

drat, you weren't kidding on the villains front. Some of those designs are amazing. Dude with a bunch of hands all over him is a great creepy design.

Captain Invictus posted:

Man, what a disappointment. You've got this incredible two-page spread lineup of awesome badass teacher superheroes in intricate garb and then the one woman among them is just in loving S&M gear with a bullwhip. I expected way better, frankly. Not like he's incapable of good female character designs, frog girl, head jack girl, and urarako are great designs. But that is so...expected.

Everything else so far is great, and all might's art style clashing with everything else continues to be a great gag, but that was a real eye-roller.

The frog girl is awesome, too. The triple attack with deku, her, and sticky kid on the boat ruled.

Shigaraki (hand dude) and Tsuyu (frog girl) are both great, yeah. Albeit in very different ways for the most part. Still two of my favorite characters in a series where I like almost every character. Midnight (S&M heroine) doesn't have the best design, though, no. Fortunately she's relatively minor and gets a few pretty good moments besides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fabricated posted:

All Might's twerp form looks really familiar to me too but I can't really place my finger on where I've seen something like it.

This bugged me for a while, but it came to me a few months ago.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Good to hear she's minor, I figured being a teacher she'd show up a lot.

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh gently caress you're right

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Man, what a disappointment. You've got this incredible two-page spread lineup of awesome badass teacher superheroes in intricate garb and then the one woman among them is just in loving S&M gear with a bullwhip. I expected way better, frankly. Not like he's incapable of good female character designs, frog girl, head jack girl, and urarako are great designs. But that is so...expected.

I think if he did anything further with her it'd be endearing. Just having her stand around all "Look I'm an 18+ hero!" is dumb. I'm hoping the teachers get the spotlight in a big fight soon or something so we can see them all.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Sorry, Midnight already owns.

She'll probably never get featured heavily because her Quirk is not the kind conducive to drama. But drat if her few appearances weren't amusing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If you don't like Midnight you don't like anime titties. And if you don't like anime titties :commissar:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
No that's a dumb excuse and your avatar is bad.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

no u

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

You shut your mouth, Hylics is one of the only games I'm actually excited for this year.

But the anime titties...I'll agree with you on that. They are not very well drawn anime titties.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Midnight's quirk requires that she be able to expose her skin, but you'd think you'd pick a slightly less demeaning outfit.

There's a side chapter where she and the giantess hero are on a talk show talking about hero costumes and the issue of some quirks requiring what would be described as revealing costumes. It's mostly a gag though.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Midnight's quirk requires that she be able to expose her skin, but you'd think you'd pick a slightly less demeaning outfit.

There's a side chapter where she and the giantess hero are on a talk show talking about hero costumes and the issue of some quirks requiring what would be described as revealing costumes. It's mostly a gag though.

She said before that it was thicker/darker coloured, but over time she just went more and more sheer until she apparently has no bra on and just has pasties on. It's been hinted at already that the female heroes are expected to conform to sexy clothing because that's what you do as a superhero. I find it pretty funny how tame her outfit actually is compared to stuff like Starfire's crap in the newer Teen Titan's rags.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

She said before that it was thicker/darker coloured, but over time she just went more and more sheer until she apparently has no bra on and just has pasties on. It's been hinted at already that the female heroes are expected to conform to sexy clothing because that's what you do as a superhero. I find it pretty funny how tame her outfit actually is compared to stuff like Starfire's crap in the newer Teen Titan's rags.

Pretty sure the implication was that she actually ran around topless until she was forced to stop. The current costume is a concession to public decency.

If your superpower is expelling knockout gas from your skin, and you're more worried about beating bad guys than personal modesty...why not? A male hero would do that in a heartbeat. I actually think it's kinda endearing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Oh yeah, Midnight is definitely more dignified than loving Starfire for sure.

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh wow. Yeah now that I see it I can't unsee it.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Pretty sure the implication was that she actually ran around topless until she was forced to stop. The current costume is a concession to public decency.

If your superpower is expelling knockout gas from your skin, and you're more worried about beating bad guys than personal modesty...why not? A male hero would do that in a heartbeat. I actually think it's kinda endearing.

Like this?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
No, nothing like that. I mean, where would she get the gun from, and why'd she keep cans of (basically) her power?

:p

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J7iSwi3M9w

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Captain Invictus posted:

:drat: at gigabaps here, makes me wonder if the author drew these interpretations as a surprise for his assistants, wonder what she thought of that

I barely remember the big spread this was a part of, but assistants usually draw that poo poo themselves. It gives them a chance to show off their own artistic chops.

Midnight's design is just one of those things you kind of sigh at and move past becasue comics are loving terrible and at least she isn't giving birth to her own rapist or something.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

I barely remember the big spread this was a part of, but assistants usually draw that poo poo themselves. It gives them a chance to show off their own artistic chops.

Midnight's design is just one of those things you kind of sigh at and move past becasue comics are loving terrible and at least she isn't giving birth to her own rapist or something.

:yikes:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Prison Warden posted:

This is a weirdly specific post.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Prison Warden posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

it's just titties, dude.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

By all means, you can tweet your grievances straight to Horikoshi. I mean it's all in Japanese but you can still tell him ミッドナイトは街娼みたいでしてそれ悪いよ。

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Prison Warden posted:

:allears:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Bad Seafood posted:

Because it is a weirdly specific thing that actually happened at Marvel one time, and some folks are still hung up about it.

Mind you, the sheer range of costumes and character builds in My Hero Academia means its easier to see the 'the character chooses to wear this' argument as a bit more valid, compared to either of the big two superhero universes. Because you can see people evidently making other choices in contrast.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I love sexy superheroines.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I love sexy.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

俺セクシーヒーロー大好き

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You forgot the は, but also I'm a polite boy. :blush:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

僕はセクシーヒーローが大好きですよね。

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

私は売春婦が大好きです。

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

私は売春婦が大好きです。

lol

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Anime titys are good, imo

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm goping to post a lot about breasts in comics and how they totes don't give me a raging boner, honest

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bad Seafood posted:

You can't make this up.

Ms. Marvel's alternate universe son rapidly aged into adulthood abducted, impregnated and inflicted amnesia on her and then she elopes with him when he has to leave our dimension because she loves him.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

gaijin comics

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Astro Nut posted:

Because it is a weirdly specific thing that actually happened at Marvel one time, and some folks are still hung up about it.

Come on, you can't mention this and then not elaborate.

EDIT: Somebody beat you to it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eej posted:

You can't make this up.

Ms. Marvel's alternate universe son rapidly aged into adulthood abducted, impregnated and inflicted amnesia on her and then she elopes with him when he has to leave our dimension because she loves him.
going by the artstyle/coloring this is from before sexism was invented. why does anyone still care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Astro Nut posted:

Wasn't that like, 35 years ago?