Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I dunno I kinda think people are extrapolating a lot on what the new Star Fox game is even gonna be like. We saw 3 levels and suddenly that's like a third of the game I guess???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Well, with the exception of Adventures, every Star Fox game has been really short. You can beat most of them in 2-3 hours if you're not trying to be a completionist or anything.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it's a Platinum game, it's not gonna be that long anyway. And it's gonna ramp up the difficulty and enemy placement on higher difficulties as punishment for your sheer impudence at thinking you were good enough for Hard Mode.

The Wonderful 101

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I was wondering why the PR from Nintendo and not a Direct and I guess it's because they still don't have a person in mind to host the Directs after Iwata :smith:

Electromax
May 6, 2007

greatn posted:

I haven't seen anything indicating it's any longer than Star Fox 64, or even anything indicating it doesn't have just reimaginings of all the same levels.

Nintendo giving the fans exactly what they wanted.

...Star Fox 64 should've been a $20 eShop game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've never played a Star Fox game. Are they anything like Tie Fighter?
The graphics on them always looked so bad. The new one doesn't even look like current gen. Is that part of the charm or something?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Not even remotely

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I was wondering why the PR from Nintendo and not a Direct and I guess it's because they still don't have a person in mind to host the Directs after Iwata :smith:

They're not coming back. :smith:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

The graphics on them always looked so bad. The new one doesn't even look like current gen. Is that part of the charm or something?

I think Star Fox 64 was pretty much state of the art and looked really good back in 1997 or so.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

No but seriously I'm getting sick of people throwing a poo poo-fit over Star Fox for absolutely no reason. It's the culmination of everything Star Fox fans have been asking for for years (Star Fox 64 gameplay, no Krystal, developed by Platinum, maybe a new mechanic or two), but rather than be excited about it, people would rather bitch and moan about how it isn't 110% of everything they wanted even though that's exactly what it is.

Do you even know what it is you wanted out of this? Are you so incapable of enjoying video games that you'd rather complain that it's not the most revolutionary thing in years? Do you just look at someone who's bending backwards for you and moan about how they're not bending over hard enough? What is the actual problem?

Actually I don't like Star Fox in the first place and it should've stayed in the garbage where it belongs :colbert:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

If "the culmination of everything Star Fox fans have been asking for for years" is a generic looking vehicle shooter with bland graphics then yes, Star Fox Zero surely appears to be the culmination.

In all seriousness it'll probably be ok. Miyamoto and Platinum's involvement suggests it probably won't be crap but man, based on that E3 stuff I hope it gets a ton of end of development cycle love.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The Star Fox footage reads as disappointing because (hopefully) they're showing early / easy content. Every shot from every video has 0-2 enemies on screen at a time and it feels very, very empty. I guess they're trying to make the game look approachable for younger audiences.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zat posted:

I think Star Fox 64 was pretty much state of the art and looked really good back in 1997 or so.
It wasn't and it didn't.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Waltzing Along posted:

It wasn't and it didn't.

It was and it did.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

The Star Fox footage reads as disappointing because (hopefully) they're showing early / easy content. Every shot from every video has 0-2 enemies on screen at a time and it feels very, very empty. I guess they're trying to make the game look approachable for younger audiences.

Didn't the exact same thing happen with Mario 3D World, where They heavily featured the incredibly easy early levels during the initial reveal? We all know how that turned out, but from what I'm told that game got the same complaints Star Fox is getting.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I just beat Mother 1 since I bought it on the eshop earlier this month. I think that if random encounters happened at most half as often and gave twice the XP, it would actually be a pretty wonderful game. Loid kind of sucks and it doesn't do a great job of explaining things, but it's better than most NES games in that regard and hey, walkthroughs exist. It just sucks that the actual gameplay is the worst part of the game. I had to spend a decent amount of time just autobattling while I watched things on youtube or just browsed forums or whatever. The atmosphere, music, and characters make it, just like with Earthbound, but it's not quite as good in any respects as its sequel. In some ways it kind of spoils the magic of Earthbound since you can see where so much of it came from, but on the other hand, it makes me appreciate Earthbound that much more. It feels like Earthbound is somewhere between sequel and remake in a lot of ways.

I'm glad I played it, but while I may replay Earthbound at some point, I don't think I'll revisit Mother 1.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

Didn't the exact same thing happen with Mario 3D World, where They heavily featured the incredibly easy early levels during the initial reveal? We all know how that turned out, but from what I'm told that game got the same complaints Star Fox is getting.

Quite a few games have gotten complaints along the same line lately

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I recently played through Star Fox 64 (not the 3DS version) and there's just about the same number of enemies in that game as in the footage I saw. Dunno why people are touting Star Fox as some kind of bullet hell with dozens of enemies on screen all the sudden v:shobon:v

Imagine if the original mario bros was released in this day and age mindset and only showed 1-1

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
As long as there are esoteric hidden routes and giant floating polygons that will gently caress you up immeasurably, I'll be happy.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna say if there isn't a weird psychedelic freakout stage where you fight a giant slowly-rotating vending machine or something I'll be disappointed.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
If the last boss isn't a giant face and hands I will be

I will be very cross!!!!!!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Looper posted:

Quite a few games have gotten complaints along the same line lately

So what they're saying is that GameXplain Was Right, you can only gain interest if you spoil the final boss.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I've got great expectations when it comes to Nintendo's biggest games. If they showed off 10% of the game or 40% of the game it doesn't really matter. It's pretty easy to see it's not anywhere close in quality to something like Mario Kart or even the new Yoshi game. It looked like an eshop game, that's pretty much the best descriptor I can give.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

You will be able to get it off the eshop, yes.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

New Hyrule Warrior DLC

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I dunno I kinda think people are extrapolating a lot on what the new Star Fox game is even gonna be like. We saw 3 levels and suddenly that's like a third of the game I guess???

People also did the same thing with assumptions about game physics between the tile sets on Mario Maker based on the first glimpse anyone got to see of it, and are still doing it over what the NX will/won't be and what games will/won't be on it.

Gamers, gamers never changes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm just glad Nintendo gamers have focused on what's really important when it comes to video games:

the graphics

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean I just know that Platinum is both handling the art side of the game and they have staff in Nintendo's Kyoto building helping out on design and that was info given out at E3 so. I dunno how that's "barely"

this is a really creative way to fanboy blindly describe: platinum is contracted only to make hd assets for starfox

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Mario Maker is $10 off on Amazon if you pre-order and have a Prime membership. It's like a buck more than the Best Buy gamers club unlocked deal, but you don't have to go to a best buy.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Astro7x posted:

Mario Maker is $10 off on Amazon if you pre-order and have a Prime membership. It's like a buck more than the Best Buy gamers club unlocked deal, but you don't have to go to a best buy.

Is it? I'm in the US and looking at the page right now. All I have is $0.11 off.

E: vvvvv Thanks I see it now.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 26, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

for those prime deals you have to go all the way to checkout to see it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Please list the number of non-Adventure Star Fox games for which this is not actually true

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
The only Star Fox experience I have is playing the SNES game for five minutes and being wowed by the graphics. They were state of the art at the time and I went home and cried into my pillow because I had a Sega not a Nintendo.

This new Star Fox will wow precisely nobody. It does not look good. Of course it doesn't, it's on old hardware and running on two screens. If you think the textures and models are good for 2015 then you need your eyes checked; they are acceptable at best. Even if you think it looks nice, you will be hard pressed to claim it looks like it is worth $60. I know direct comparisons across platforms/genres are pretty facile but in terms of pure value I find it difficult to believe that this game will offer as much as say Fallout IV. How many people have been working on Star Fox and for how long? It looks like a couple of dudes have been trying to pull it off in their spare time, not the product of a huge studio. At this point it is pretty clear Nintendo is spread too thin and not all their games are the great propositions in terms of content/value that Mario Kart and Smash are.

Also their idea of having a new helicopter vehicle that can lower a little robot looks incredibly dull. I'm assuming most people want to play a game like Star Fox to fly around and shoot things while barrel rolling to avoid lasers and other hazards, not plod slowly around an empty interior space with a little RC robot. I haven't played it of course but it doesn't look fun at all.

If you are excited for this then good for you and I will happily be proved completely wrong, but so far all the videos I have seen of this make it appear much less exciting than those arcade-y star wars flying games on the Gamecube (which I also didn't own).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

zolthorg posted:

this is a really creative way to fanboy blindly describe: platinum is contracted only to make hd assets for starfox
Ironically though its the visuals everyone is whining about

But around the internet everyone is saying Nintendo is the one phoning it in

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rabelais D posted:

I know direct comparisons across platforms/genres are pretty facile but in terms of pure value I find it difficult to believe that this game will offer as much as say Fallout IV.
Well it probably wont crash or be as lovely as Fallout IV will, thats for sure

Value is weird because I thought Rayman Legends was amazing but a lot of people said "this should be 10 dollars!!" because it was a 2D hand drawn platformer. I get all my Steam games for like 2-5 bucks, value is not really something I can quantify, especially not with AMOUNT OF CONTENT. If I could define it in any way, though, it would probably be in the amount of fun I had with that game. I generally have no interest in seeing all of Bethesda games' content because their games are not fun to play for me, with awful combat and a lovely bug-ridden engine.

I would think most people in the Wii U thread would define value on fun since Hyrule Warriors is maybe the only Wii U title that has a ridiculous amount of content, but it doesnt matter because Wii U owns and is the best system BOOM

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 26, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm a firm believer that games should only be as long as they need to be - that's why I liked Captain Toad and Kirby's Rainbow Curse, where for 40bux they provided me 6-8 hours of genuine good times. I just want to know if Star Fox Zero is more than the 2-3 hour running time most Star Fox games have before I drop $60 on it. I think it does look fun but I'm unsure if it's going to be enough of a good time (quantity and quality wise) to deserve my dollars. It doesn't need to be Hyrule Warriors or anything, just more than I could easily play in a sitting or two.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think gameplay wise Starfox has always been Nintendo's weakest IP by far. Like it's literally been 18 years since it had a good game

I guess I hope the new one is good for the people that are still into the franchise for whatever reason but I probably won't buy it either way

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Maybe Star Fox is really a bad series and 64 was a massive fluke, and people should finally accept this and move on to better series.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Nintendo's weakest IPs are Star Fox and F-Zero. It's no wonder they share the same universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It turns out that Star Fox Zero really does only have those three levels, but after you finish them it starts off Dinosaur Planet 2 by Platinum feat. Captain Falcon

• Locked thread