Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

kalstrams posted:

Just wait until Americans elect Trump and he takes the matter in his strong hands.

Maybe the US is the 5th spoke?

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Alright, the Trapezoid of Trouble then.

What about the Rhombus of Rogues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Gravel Gravy posted:

What about the Rhombus of Rogues?

If we throw in Caracas, Harare, Khartoum, and Ashgabat we can have the Hexagon of Hate, but I suppose that's stretching things.

Torlo Hans
Apr 23, 2005

La familia es todo.
Dinosaur Gum
With the ever-changing nature of these regions we shouldn't be limited to simple shapes. The Polygon of Peril us upon us.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Eastern Europe: Geometry of Goons

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
According to AP and Tass, the cleaning products of Henkel Rus, Colgate-Palmolive, The Clorox Company, Werner & Mertz and Procter & Gamble and the Russian company Nevskaya Kosmetica are banned in Russia and are being gathered off the shelves because they pose a health hazard. May or may not be political, since many of them are made locally even though most of the companies are western.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Why yes, bleach does pose a health hazard. If you drink it soak in it or, uh, splash it in your eyes.

e: Does this make Russia a babushka state?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Valiantman posted:

According to AP and Tass, the cleaning products of Henkel Rus, Colgate-Palmolive, The Clorox Company, Werner & Mertz and Procter & Gamble and the Russian company Nevskaya Kosmetica are banned in Russia and are being gathered off the shelves because they pose a health hazard. May or may not be political, since many of them are made locally even though most of the companies are western.

It's Russia, not California. Agencies move for two reasons:
1) Politics
2) They want a bribe.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Probably someone wants to tank their value before buyout. Or it's some other stock manipultion. Or a competitor wants them out. It also may be some new dude in regulatory agency making name for himself. Any of reasons thread can come up with are more likely than the one reported.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Amway makes a lot of money in Russia. It'll be interesting how they steer through this, seeing how that particular sector is getting targeted.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Mokotow posted:

Amway makes a lot of money in Russia. It'll be interesting how they steer through this, seeing how that particular sector is getting targeted.

Anything that deprives the DeVos family of profit is a good thing. Please declare Amway hazardous, Russia. :getin:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mokotow posted:

But Putin & Co. are trying to annoy the West. Does anyone actually like Amway?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

But Putin & Co. are trying to annoy the West. Does anyone actually like Amway?

American's have historically been surprisingly okay with american companies illegal practices abroad.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Bip Roberts posted:

American's have historically been surprisingly okay with american companies illegal practices abroad.

:monocle:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Being an opposition politician in Russia:

(https://meduza.io/en/news/2015/08/2...sition-s-ticket)

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

We even make catchy songs about it!

"Hey Mr. tally man
come tally my banana
daylight come and I
want to go home."

I'm looking at you Dole.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulrod...n-east-ukraine/
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...d-10472603.html

The number of Russian troops killed or injured fighting in Ukraine seems to have been accidentally published. 2,000 are said to have died with over 3,200 Russian forces injured.

quote:

But this leaked information, subsequently translated by Forbes, reveals that families have been receiving three million rubles (£27,500) in compensation for an individual dying in military action, whilst those who are injured would be awarded one and a half million (£13,700).

"A payment of 1,800 rubles is envisioned for contract "fighters" for every day of their presence in the conflict zone," Paul Roderick Gregory continues in his translation, "as of 1 February 2015, monetary compensation had been paid to more than 2,000 families of fallen soldiers and to 3,200 military personnel suffering heavy wounds and recognized as invalids.”

James Nixey, the head of the Russia and Eurasia Programme at Chatham House, suggests this leak is just another “nail in the coffin” in proving Russia is engaged in military action.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

sparatuvs posted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulrod...n-east-ukraine/
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...d-10472603.html

The number of Russian troops killed or injured fighting in Ukraine seems to have been accidentally published. 2,000 are said to have died with over 3,200 Russian forces injured.

I can't help thinking that Putin will soon announce that he reopening the Goskomizdat.

It's quite irritating that the russian public will just hand wave away the fact that over 5000 russian soldiers have become casualties for Putin's ambitions.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 26, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

sparatuvs posted:

Russian forces injured.

This is just too good now. Someone please photoshop Putin's head onto Baghdad Bob. "Nope, no Russians in Ukraine."

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
If those figures are true and the casualty statistics from Wikipedia are to be believed Ukraine seems to be doing (relatively) okay.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

So with 2000 Russian soldiers dead, plus the additional Russian non-soldier "volunteers" running around who likely also contribute to the dead there really doesn't seem to be much room for Ukrainian locals in the "seperatist" casualties.

Shocking, I know!

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 26, 2015

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dodoman posted:

If those figures are true and the casualty statistics from Wikipedia are to be believed Ukraine seems to be doing (relatively) okay.

They are from an extrmely dubious source. Like "some site no one ever heard of posted an article" kind of source, then getting chained by media.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

OddObserver posted:

They are from an extrmely dubious source. Like "some site no one ever heard of posted an article" kind of source, then getting chained by media.

yes that unknown source that is Forbes

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

OddObserver posted:

Dubious source that Russian media immediately pulled later.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

sparatuvs posted:

yes that unknown source that is Forbes

Forbes is merely step 4. Originally some site no one heard of posted the supposed document, someone noticed it and commented on the implications, then a sort-of-respectable blogger translated it, then Forbes picked it up, then the Independent picked it up. Next thing you know it will be in NY Times citing the Independent.

The numbers are believable enough, yes, but someone claiming to have hacked Shoigu's mail.ru account may have been more credible....

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

F-22's are coming to Europe: http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/25/politics/air-force-f-22-europe/

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

OddObserver posted:

Forbes is merely step 4. Originally some site no one heard of posted the supposed document, someone noticed it and commented on the implications, then a sort-of-respectable blogger translated it, then Forbes picked it up, then the Independent picked it up. Next thing you know it will be in NY Times citing the Independent.

Do you have some kind of evidence that these sources are dubious and unheard of? Or are they just unheard of to you? I mean it shouldn't exactly be a shocker that English-language people aren't going to be familiar with Russian and Ukrainian business journals. From looking at their websites they seem like normal industry media outlets.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kaal posted:

Do you have some kind of evidence that these sources are dubious and unheard of? Or are they just unheard of to you? I mean it shouldn't exactly be a shocker that English-language people aren't going to be familiar with Russian and Ukrainian business journals. From looking at their websites they seem like normal industry media outlets.

:ssh: I am a native Russian speaker born in Southern Ukraine.
Anyway, see Ruslan Leviev's (@RuslanLeviev) commentary on his twitter ---- he was involved in one of the reports on actually confirmed Russian war dead... Or... just go to the website, http://bs-life.ru the original posting place. That doesn't look much like a real journal, does it --- frankly I find the idea that it is some sort of content farm quite compelling[1]? (Compare e.g. http://kommersant.ru)

[1] Though a content farm ripping of some sort of classified document would be.... interesting.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

OddObserver posted:

:ssh: I am a native Russian speaker born in Southern Ukraine.
Anyway, see Ruslan Leviev's (@RuslanLeviev) commentary on his twitter ---- he was involved in one of the reports on actually confirmed Russian war dead... Or... just go to the website, http://bs-life.ru the original posting place. That doesn't look much like a real journal, does it --- frankly I find the idea that it is some sort of content farm quite compelling[1]? (Compare e.g. http://kommersant.ru)

[1] Though a content farm ripping of some sort of classified document would be.... interesting.
You're right. This source is bullshit. All articles are anonymous, aren't even any dates for articles posted, the site's template is some lovely free thing you can can download.

Numbers were either made up or taken from like the society of soldiers' mothers.

Forbes is very, very stupid for publishing this article. Everyone agrees that it's completely unreliable at best, fabricated at worst.

Edit: Just received some new information on this. Turns out, this bs-online.ru site may have more legitimacy that we thought...

Edit 2: Never mind. Fake. And seems maliciously done too. Watch Russian opposition twitter over next few hours.

bearic fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 26, 2015

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

bearic posted:

Edit: Just received some new information on this. Turns out, this bs-online.ru site may have more legitimacy that we thought...

Edit 2: Never mind. Fake. And seems maliciously done too. Watch Russian opposition twitter over next few hours.

So what's the development on it? I'm in the office watching reddit eat it up. /r/russia is calling it a fake, in between all the posts saying that Poles are subhuman and Ukraine isn't a real country, and everybody else seems to have either assumed it was gospel or doubted the source.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I think the only way it's not fake is if that site copied it from somewhere real. Anyone try googling the money quote?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Nilbop posted:

So what's the development on it? I'm in the office watching reddit eat it up. /r/russia is calling it a fake, in between all the posts saying that Poles are subhuman and Ukraine isn't a real country, and everybody else seems to have either assumed it was gospel or doubted the source.

The numbers did seem far too high, we should wait. The bad news is this is already getting the "Haha lookat this homonazi amerkkkian propaganda" spin with pro-russians.

r/russia is great, it goes back and forth between angry Russian diaspora and actual Russians talking about how their country is poo poo.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

NBC has apparently gotten in touch with the publisher of the article, who said it's "based on Delovaya Zhizn's sources at the Ministry of Defense and information from troops' families."

So nothing concrete enough to satisfy anyone, but apparently the article was published in March and didn't draw attention until much later

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
So it seems like Hungarian parliament is considering deploying the army to the Serbian-Hungarian border to stem the tide of immigrants. A show move to seem tough while in effect achieving jack poo poo, probably cozying up to Putin by taking a page from his book, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. . . They are obliged by EU laws to take the immigrants in if they ask for asylum, army or not. They caught some 2500 souls or so, well guess what? Some 60,000 refugees were recorded crossing near Dimitrovgrad alone this year with the real number suspected to be two to three times higher; 40,000 refugees crossed the Greek-Macedonian border in the last two months. I'm genuinely curious, what's the coverage of this crisis like in the West?

I was visiting grandfather's village in Stara Planina this week. In the morning I saw little groups of weatherworn, often unshod, people every couple kilometers of endlessly winding Balkan mountain roads. Try to imagine what it is like to stop the car and have a person say "call police" crossing their wrists, fists closed. Imagine asking to be arrested. Why? "Hungry." he said with a rub of his belly, a smile on his face. We gave them what little drink was in the car, we had no food to offer. Returning home, foregrounded against one of the most beautiful sunsets of my life I saw the same little group of people, still a long way from the city, the guy carrying a little girl on his shoulders.

gently caress this gay earth.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Sceptical piece on Poroshenko's progress in office. Suggests he might be a repeat of Yushchenko.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/08/25/money-still-rules-ukraine-poroshenko-corruption/

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

NBC has apparently gotten in touch with the publisher of the article, who said it's "based on Delovaya Zhizn's sources at the Ministry of Defense and information from troops' families."

So nothing concrete enough to satisfy anyone, but apparently the article was published in March and didn't draw attention until much later

Sooo maybe not fake..?

It actually doesn't seem too high to be real, especially if the numbers turn out to include the Russian non-military volunteers.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

SaltyJesus posted:

I'm genuinely curious, what's the coverage of this crisis like in the West?

Donald Trump hasn't said anything about it on camera yet so no one in The US knows or cares.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah, I've seen an email from the site admin to a journalist. Nothing about it seems right to me. The admin stressed that he isn't running a political site and he has inside sources with the Min of Defense, along with interviews with soldiers' mothers.

Ran some analytics on the site, and nothing too mind-blowing. The Google AdSense ID matches with a lot of junk sites, which makes me think the whole thing could be a content farm, but not sure yet. It's very bizarre that this is a supposedly reputable site (it's not) that doesn't use dates on their articles, or attribute any authorship to them. The whole affair is very bizarre.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SaltyJesus posted:

So it seems like Hungarian parliament is considering deploying the army to the Serbian-Hungarian border to stem the tide of immigrants. A show move to seem tough while in effect achieving jack poo poo, probably cozying up to Putin by taking a page from his book, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. . . They are obliged by EU laws to take the immigrants in if they ask for asylum, army or not. They caught some 2500 souls or so, well guess what? Some 60,000 refugees were recorded crossing near Dimitrovgrad alone this year with the real number suspected to be two to three times higher; 40,000 refugees crossed the Greek-Macedonian border in the last two months. I'm genuinely curious, what's the coverage of this crisis like in the West?

I was visiting grandfather's village in Stara Planina this week. In the morning I saw little groups of weatherworn, often unshod, people every couple kilometers of endlessly winding Balkan mountain roads. Try to imagine what it is like to stop the car and have a person say "call police" crossing their wrists, fists closed. Imagine asking to be arrested. Why? "Hungry." he said with a rub of his belly, a smile on his face. We gave them what little drink was in the car, we had no food to offer. Returning home, foregrounded against one of the most beautiful sunsets of my life I saw the same little group of people, still a long way from the city, the guy carrying a little girl on his shoulders.

In the UK it mostly focusses on the ones who make it to the French side of the tunnel, and our valiant efforts to defend Blighty again, like back in The War. Occasionally someone points out that they are desperate human beings, but mostly the press want to just set up machineguns in the channel tunnel.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SaltyJesus posted:

Having just been reading about the 56 revolution and the fallout I have to admit I'm amused at Hungary of all nations sending armed guards to prevent people from fleeing wartorn dictatorships. How'd they feel about the Austrians blocking the border in the fifties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/26/us-ukraine-crisis-ceasefire-idUSKCN0QV29A20150826

quote:

Ukraine and pro-Russian separatists, in a gesture to shore up a tenuous ceasefire, agreed on Wednesday to strive for an end to all truce violations from next Tuesday, the OSCE and rebel representatives said.

Third time's a charm?

• Locked thread