Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I just got an e-mail from PositiveGrid that makes the pretty bad rear end BIAS amp emulator for iOS and computers saying their tech is going to be used in Rock Band 4

I haven't paid any attention to Rock Band 4 because I never was into those games. Are they going to have it playable more like Rocksmith or are they just tacking on some gimmicky stuff?

quote:

We are proud to announce that Positive Grid and Harmonix Music Systems are now working in partnership for the new line of BIAS Amp technology available in the upcoming Freestyle Guitar Solo gameplay in Rock Band 4.

The in-game BIAS Amp technology consists of classic and modern types of amplifier simulations to match the variety of guitar tones playable in the game. This will allow gamers and music lovers around the world to experience the sound and feel of legendary amplifiers in a completely new and fun way right in Rock Band 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like they're just putting a bunch of amp tones in the game. I don't know anything about the game, mind, I just assumed it was another plastic guitar game.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
What I'm guessing is that the freestyle sections are just going to play some clean midi-ish guitar tones and then they'll run that signal through amp modeling like Rocksmith does to match the guitar tones in the song.

Makes sense to me, that way they can match the tones without recording stuff for each song.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fina posted:

What I'm guessing is that the freestyle sections are just going to play some clean midi-ish guitar tones and then they'll run that signal through amp modeling like Rocksmith does to match the guitar tones in the song.

Makes sense to me, that way they can match the tones without recording stuff for each song.

Yeah that's exactly what they're doing.

The cool part is they're finally making rockband more of an actual "you can jam some notes" than it was in the past. Lots of real musicians tried rockband in front of harmonix and then complained when it was so forced and you couldn't improvise whatsoever.

Since Guitar Hero and Rock Band both kinda killed that industry, they're hoping to mix things up to bring it back. Guitar Hero is doing a more complicated controller that actually has two rows of buttons instead of just one row, and rock smith is working on having "freestyle" areas where pressing buttons just fires off MIDI signals for notes that are in-key, so that people who know nothing about music theory can just press buttan and have some okay music come out.

Its cool that they're doing that and its cool they're doing some cool amp modeling to make it sound good too (although it'll still sound obviously way different than the recorded tracks) but its just nothing like Rocksmith or other real-guitar games.

I guess that one guitar hero let you use a real guitar, or was that rocksmith? But you had to use a special MIDI-guitar, not as good as rocksmith's stuff.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Rock Band 3 is the one that let you use the MIDI guitar for pro-guitar mode. It was a neat idea but the charts were way harder to read while playing compared to the notation that Rocksmith uses, and I found that the way you had to pluck muted strings made it harder to learn anything since you weren't hearing what you were actually playing from the guitar.

If you had the special MIDI Strat which was an actual electric guitar and it was tuned to E Standard, but then the song in RB3 was charted as Drop D or some obscure A231 whatever tuning, you'd plug it into an amp and try to play what you saw on the screen and it'd sound like garbage since the tuning was wrong and RB3 didn't expose the tuning information IIRC.

Rocksmith obviously had an advantage there since you heard exactly what you were squeezing out of the guitar, good or bad, though you would have to re-tune between songs which can get annoying.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

As someone who was a percussionist long before picking up a guitar, I love rock band for the ability to play along with others without drowning out the room. (V drums still out of my reach).

Also because nobody every wants to be the drummer.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

The RockBand 3 pro controller also works off capacative frets, so it detects exactly where your fingers are, not the note you're playing. It couldn't handle bends at all, since it couldn't tell which fret you were touching. It would also freak out if you moved notes, such as playing an open A or an A on the 5th fret of the low E, which drives me nuts.

Even so, it was a perfect gateway drug to get me into playing real guitar, picking up Rocksmith, and playing in a band/writing music, so I can't be too mad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OhDearGodNo posted:

As someone who was a percussionist long before picking up a guitar, I love rock band for the ability to play along with others without drowning out the room. (V drums still out of my reach).

Also because nobody every wants to be the drummer.

I love being the drummer. I play real guitar so plastic guitars are stupid, but I don't play real drums and plastic drums are actually kinda close to real drums unlike plastic guitars.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I was one of those dorks who bought a real electronic drum kit to play rock band. I'm actually excited to move to my be house because I'll finally have room to keep them out.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

TriggerHappy posted:

The RockBand 3 pro controller also works off capacative frets, so it detects exactly where your fingers are, not the note you're playing. It couldn't handle bends at all, since it couldn't tell which fret you were touching. It would also freak out if you moved notes, such as playing an open A or an A on the 5th fret of the low E, which drives me nuts.

Even so, it was a perfect gateway drug to get me into playing real guitar, picking up Rocksmith, and playing in a band/writing music, so I can't be too mad.

This makes me wonder what a fretless instrument with a multi-touch capacitive fretboard would be like. If you could make it durable enough you could include an array of small displays for interactive inlays and microtonal markers generated by software.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Verizian posted:

This makes me wonder what a fretless instrument with a multi-touch capacitive fretboard would be like. If you could make it durable enough you could include an array of small displays for interactive inlays and microtonal markers generated by software.

It would probably cost a fortune, at least initially.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Verizian posted:

What you're describing is a more expensive version of the Haken Continuum. (Add in some LED screens)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnBhR8RLJN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrmp2EaVChI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW1KeRNaP-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0NoiKxlESw

Very cool poo poo, very expensive. (5 grand)

If you're not familiar with the Continuum, its a keyboard made with capacitive touch surfaces that let you do pitch bends by sliding up or down and control volume and impact by how hard you push in. Its loving amazing.

Keyboards are more pure to the sheet music, but guitar strings let you really feel and touch the music more directly than keys. The Continuum seems like the best of both worlds to me, direct music theory played on the keys, but with all the expressiveness of strings.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 21, 2015

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
The Stone Roses next week

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

toymach1ne posted:

Now this is one I'm massively interested in.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Guessing Love Spreads, She Bangs the Drums, I Wanna be Adored?
If it's a 5 pack, add in I am the Ressurection and Fool's Gold?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Kaboobi posted:

Guessing Love Spreads, She Bangs the Drums, I Wanna be Adored?
If it's a 5 pack, add in I am the Ressurection and Fool's Gold?

Yeah SCEE confirms your first three

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

toymach1ne posted:

:vince:

I don't care which songs, this is gonna be excellent.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

toymach1ne posted:

:hellyeah:

Ubi killing it lately with the DLC

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

toymach1ne posted:

holy gently caress yes, acceptable songs: all of them

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

toymach1ne posted:

That's awesome as hell

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
The Stone Roses Song Pack – $7.99

The Stone Roses “I Wanna Be Adored”
The Stone Roses – “Love Spreads” Open D: A443 [Lead]; Drop D: A443 [Rhythm]; D Standard: A443 [Bass]
The Stone Roses – “She Bangs the Drums”

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Anyone else unable to play after updating to windows 10?

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Mercedes posted:

Anyone else unable to play after updating to windows 10?

Someone up-thread mentioned updating the drivers after going to windows 10.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Update all of the drivers

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

I had to play with my audio settings. Eventually I deleted the rocksmith ini file, enabled exclusive mode in windows for the playback and recording device, and it worked again.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Earth Wind and Fire Pack next week

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

toymach1ne posted:

gently caress.Yes.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Yeah, pretty sweet.

Only three songs though apparently.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

toymach1ne posted:

well then let's groove

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
September
Shining Star
Sing a Song

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Those were the most likely and I'm ok(hype) with that.

Cousin Balki
Jan 31, 2002
Anyone else never have their news feed update on the main menu screen?

Mine is still advertising some ancient DLC under a banner that says "News For 6/9/2015". It never changes.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

It rarely is. There's a small crew handling DLC but the main development on the game is long over, until another one is released.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I wonder if this Rocksmith stuff has made a profit for UbiSoft. I'm glad that they're still supporting the game with DLC and at this point they're easily second place to Harmonix as far as a library goes. The Ubi SF team is working on the new South Park game now, so I wouldn't expect a new Rocksmith game any time soon. But who knows.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fina posted:

I wonder if this Rocksmith stuff has made a profit for UbiSoft. I'm glad that they're still supporting the game with DLC and at this point they're easily second place to Harmonix as far as a library goes. The Ubi SF team is working on the new South Park game now, so I wouldn't expect a new Rocksmith game any time soon. But who knows.

If the dlc wasn't profitable, they wouldn't be making it.

IIRC the profit margins on the dlc is significantly better than on a new $60 boxed game simply due to price point in a per song basis.

My worry is that Ubisoft will get tunnel vision looking at dlc profits and will hold off on greenlighting a new rocksmith because of the above profit margins

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

oh poo poo Flaming Lips

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I figured out how to get rid of the delay/lag on my system.

Just use an A/B/Y box and split the signal to a practice amp and to the game. Had to rearrange what I had plugged into the power strips to avoid the ground loop because of the lovely wiring in my apt.

I also don't get to play around with the tones but I've got a few pedals so that works

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzg2KRDL9cE

maybe the most impressive RS2014 video ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
So I finally decided to use a splitter cable so I can play through my pedal and amp (primarily a line5 hd500 and dt25) and it is so so so much nicer. I'm really sensitive to latency and it's nice not having to worry about it. It's kind of a pain though, because I have to keep the pedal/amp plugged into the battery backup I have my PC plugged into, which is filled up with other stuff so I have to unplug a bunch of crap or otherwise I get an extremely loud buzzing/ground loop/ac hum. Still, worth it though, I don't know why I never bothered doing this before. I certainly recommend trying it if you haven't.