Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Control Volume posted:

you could make the tiger literally unkillable and a majority of tiger drivers would find a way to drive into a lake.

this sounds like the thesis statement of a research paper titled "The E100 in World of Tanks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

The only reason I have a Tiger II right now is because when I started out, this first tier IV I could buy was the DW2 during an on track and continued to grind down that line because *~progress~*

The second was the B1.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I sold my Tiger 2 with a smile on my face.

Good tank, but not a keeper.

Also, I wanted to try out my new wired internet connection, so I hopped into the T-127. I got called a cheater and got 9 kills.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Missing Name posted:

The only reason I have a Tiger II right now is because when I started out, this first tier IV I could buy was the DW2 during an on track and continued to grind down that line because *~progress~*

The second was the B1.

The Tiger II leads to amazing tanks though, and it's not too bad to grind out.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I ground the Tiger 2 in Historical battles. Sure, I had 4 minute 59 second queue times for every match, but I also only faced hordes of tanks that couldn't damage me and got two or three shots. The greatest threat from the enemy was the M4 with 105mm - turns out a 1600 HP tier 8 with the long 88mm can accept 150 damage to two-shot the enemy in return.

Then again Erlenburg is a totally lovely map to have to play a tank on so much.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Power creep seems to have hosed the Tiger 2 and now I'm debating if I want to sell it or not. I played a few games in it recently and it felt very underwhelming compared to a year and a half ago. I used to love the thing but now, ehhhhh.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Q&A posted:

- Q: "Why can't you buff 113?!" A (balance developer): "If we buffed it then Maus would be the worst again..."
- Q: "Storm, what was that about the 113 the balance dev said?" A: "Balance devs have their own sense of humor..."

When the Japanese heavies come out, they won't have to worry about either one of those being the worst.

Plus the FV4005 is goddamn abysmal. No elevation at all.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Powercreep has definitely hosed the Tiger II. It used to be a lot better and could reasonably hold its own in T8/T9 battles.

In fact, the highest exp game I ever got was 2800xp in a Tiger 2 in a T10 match.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
My average damage in the Tiger 2 is at 84.88%, so I am waiting for the opportune moment to play in a platoon. Or I could get over my fixations and just go full gold. :v:

Fronkey
Oct 20, 2008

Missing Name posted:

The second was the B1.

I hated the DW2 so much I abandoned the whole German line.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fronkey posted:

I hated the DW2 so much I abandoned the whole German line.

Funny thing about that - the DW2 is WAY better than the B1. The DW2 has one more AP pen which is whatever, but the B1 has 98 gold pen and the DW2 has 130! Being able to actually pen enemy tier 5 heavies instead of being totally useless against them is a big game.

Also the stock BDR gun is pretty hilariously bad. At least you can unlock some sort of gun upgrade for the VK on another tank and just free XP the turret.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Saint Celestine posted:

Powercreep has definitely hosed the Tiger II. It used to be a lot better and could reasonably hold its own in T8/T9 battles.

In fact, the highest exp game I ever got was 2800xp in a Tiger 2 in a T10 match.

If it was more mobile it would be competitive, sadly right now it is an XP piñata.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
In other news the Jagpanther 2 is really good and I don't know why I had rage sold it, but now I have a reason to retrain my Tiger 2 crew to the Jagtiger and probably sell the Tiger 2.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I sold my Tiger I a couple days ago with mixed feelings. On one hand, it's just a good tank, nothing super special, mostly because it has poor armor. On the other hand, it's SUPER easy to statpad in it -- I think I have the most Aces-to-games ratio in that tank.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 25, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
On that note, is there any way to see how many Aces you have on a specific tank? I'd love to see how many I've picked up on the Matilda IV.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Not that I know of.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Funny thing about that - the DW2 is WAY better than the B1. The DW2 has one more AP pen which is whatever, but the B1 has 98 gold pen and the DW2 has 130! Being able to actually pen enemy tier 5 heavies instead of being totally useless against them is a big game.

Also the stock BDR gun is pretty hilariously bad. At least you can unlock some sort of gun upgrade for the VK on another tank and just free XP the turret.

I used the 7.5cm with HE almost exclusively with the DW2 because I was too poor to afford 5cm gold rounds. PUBBIE LOGIC. It worked, I guess. Every tank I came across got tracked and module'd if not dead.

As far as French heavies go... I got all the top modules on the Tiger I before I even got the ARL unlocked. I guess this illustrates the difference in difficulty for new players.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 25, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I sold my Tiger I a couple days ago with mixed feelings. On one hand, it's just a good tank, nothing super special, mostly because it has poor armor. On the other hand, it's SUPER easy to statpad in it -- I think I have the most Aces-to-games ratio in that tank.

That's because nobody who is decent at tanks uses the tiger.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I imagine there are tons of baddies who drive it just to roleplay Michael Wittmann et al.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I imagine there are tons of baddies who drive it just to roleplay Michael Wittmann et al.

Charging into a bad position and getting ratfucked from all sides?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Charging into a bad position and getting ratfucked from all sides?

Taking credit for the accomplishments of the entire team.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
First time I've ever been accused of being a warpack player. Apparently being in a Bulldog and right clicking then left clicking on tanks is an abuse of game mechanics. The irony is that I don't even have any mods installed because I play so intermittently and am so lazy that I can't be asked to re-download them (what feels like) every time I play.

No pictures, but I was just being a good little scout and staying alive long enough to be useful while poking my head up over some ridges now and again to spot reds. I saw the game slipping away then got an opportunity to knock out some wounded tanks pushing too hard too early, distracted others enough while arty and the TDs did their jobs, then killed an arty at the end. I ended up 4 kills, 2500 damage, 2400 spotting 1400 exp (no premium) and an Ace tanker badge on prokhorovka.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Clubbing Tier II battles to try and farm an R35 for my French Expert medal. Does nobody drive this loving tank? I've seen one all week.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

RanKizama posted:

Clubbing Tier II battles to try and farm an R35 for my French Expert medal. Does nobody drive this loving tank? I've seen one all week.

Nobody plays tier 2 French tanks or the Achilles.

Edit: The R35 is the least played non-premium tank in the game and all 6 of the tier 2 French tanks are in the top 8 least played non-premium tanks.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 26, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Some of you goons are way hardcore about pix tanks.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

Ask someone about the Comet / SU-144

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I don't think I've played ever a single tier 2 tank after I built up a couple thousand free xp.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tonight I logged into tanks, played three matches (AMX 50 100, AMX CDC, BatChat), won one game in each as the #1 on my team, then closed the game because gently caress if that luck will continue (ever happen again).

ZombieLenin posted:

ZombieLenin posted:

Bort Bortles posted:

edit: an addendum to the first (run-on) sentence: and then there are those tanks that you shoot in the commander's hatch till the tank's arbitrary HP pool is gone lol
Every scale of representation is arbitrary, so any model of damage on a tank in game will be arbitrary.

So what's your point exactly? Other than you don't like how Wargaming has arbitrarily chosen to abstractly represent tanks with hit points.

What's your alternative? One penetrating shot kills a tank? That's, like I said, equally arbitrary and doesn't really fit over reality (at least in WW2) either. I can site numerous examples from the time period where tanks were hit by AP, which penetrated the tank, did not harm any of the crew, and the tank continued to be operable and fight back.

Not losing any crew in such cases was probably infinitely more rare than in WoT, but then again, WoT is an arcade tank game. It's not meant to be a simulation.
I am pointing this out because you sperged out about an obvious joke post

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 26, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Looking up number of games played per tank on vbaddict is not hard.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Saint Celestine posted:

Tell us more about your turretphilia. When will it end, how many turrets do you need to be satisfied.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Okay well I ground out the armor blocking heavy mission real quick with the IS-6 and T32, but those tanks aren't the best at getting four kills so I think I'm going to break out the good old Churchill III for a game

Well at least I got the Tetrarch. :v:

Also check out this guy's stats http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/Kronus_BR/1015038072/

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I don't actually play low tiers as much as I'd like to. The anti-seal clubbing matchmaking really fucks tier 2-4 to death, I don't like playing with sub-100% crews, and paying 300-1000 gold to train crew is too much even for me.

Though the fact that the Pz2J has more games played in it than a good chunk of the french line is pretty hilarious considering how much easier it is to obtain a regular tier 2 or 3 compared to the Pz2J.

Saint Celestine posted:

Why would they need to ask someone about the best tanks in the game? They should already know in their hearts how awesome the Game Winners are.

e: well since we're linking terrible players' stats now:

http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/0711/1001333047/

please look them up in game to see their damage per game. In the game I was in, I was in a B2 on Lakeville - he literally was hovering near me in a BT-7 Arti, not bothering to fire at enemies (but ramming/blocking me to make it slightly more awkward for me to murder pubbie in middle) and then sat on cap when their last tank was spotted in valley. Rather than come behind the dude and shoot it, he sat on cap. I asked him why he'd bother capping when it was 8v1, and he said "you go kill him then".

Human players sometimes are significantly worse than bots. Negative 278 WN7.

these graph scales are too drat funny.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 26, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

that is a beautiful loving arch

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Hellsau posted:

these graph scales are too drat funny.

9.5 to 17 average damage. I wish I could still improve that much.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Percentage wise quite significant.

I had a 500 something wn8 player in an M103 earlier tonight who, from out of the blue, started ranting about how people's "Wir 8" aren't actually individual, it's ALL because of their teams because it was a team game and thus can't be used to ascertain whether a single player is good or bad. He then proceeded to shoot HE and sit still in front of tier 10s.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

in other news WGNA is keeping on keeping on

quote:

Hello Tankers,

Starting September 1st, 2015, whenever a player completes a mission or event where they would have earned a Premium Tank that they already own in their garage, they will be compensated the applicable Credit amount, and NOT the applicable Gold amount. This applies to the following:
- On-Track Missions with a Premium Tank reward
- Events via any other mission (Daily Log-In, Month Long key missions, etc)

There are still transactions that will compensate the player Gold instead of the Credits, and those would be the following:
- Purchasing/being gifted a Premium Tank that you already own
- Winning a Premium Tank in a live event (Twitch stream, player gathering, social media, etc)
- The Premium Tank is re-balanced substantially in-game and a refund is offered
http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/460357-premium-tanks-for-mission-compensation-changes/

e: added bolding to make benefit goon attentionspan

Prav fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 26, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
"We've got to stop players completing these mission we added, but how?"

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Bort Bortles posted:

Tonight I logged into tanks, played three matches (AMX 50 100, AMX CDC, BatChat), won one game in each as the #1 on my team, then closed the game because gently caress if that luck will continue (ever happen again).

Every scale of representation is arbitrary, so any model of damage on a tank in game will be arbitrary.

So what's your point exactly? Other than you don't like how Wargaming has arbitrarily chosen to abstractly represent tanks with hit points.

What's your alternative? One penetrating shot kills a tank? That's, like I said, equally arbitrary and doesn't really fit over reality (at least in WW2) either. I can site numerous examples from the time period where tanks were hit by AP, which penetrated the tank, did not harm any of the crew, and the tank continued to be operable and fight back.

Not losing any crew in such cases was probably infinitely more rare than in WoT, but then again, WoT is an arcade tank game. It's not meant to be a simulation.

I am pointing this out because you sperged out about an obvious joke post

It's because of my day job--I'm have a PhD and work in data science. I also used to make video games for a living. So I end up having very particular pet peeves about claiming scales of representation are arbitrary, especially in video games.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 26, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

"We've got to stop players completing these mission we added, but how?"

Is this change happening on EU, or just NA? Because at least on the NA server we can just run skirmish tournaments for a ton of gold, and I kinda like being disincentivized to play through missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
WGEU hasn't mentioned it, but they are poo poo and that might just mean they are being lazy. Curse you and your free gold skirmishes :(