Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Light Gun Man posted:

Tesla was pretty much already thought of that way long before the internet started getting in on it. I remember reading a biography about him years ago that had poo poo along the lines of "yeah Tesla totally built a rad deathray and fired it off at Russia and so the government busted in and stole all his research after he died."

I guess, but I know a whole TON of people who had never heard the name "Nikola Tesla" before The Prestige and The Oatmeal but they were loving foaming at the mouth over him afterwards.

Although he was played by Bowie, so we could just chalk it up to Bowie's insane charisma. The Sovereign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Light Gun Man posted:

Tesla was pretty much already thought of that way long before the internet started getting in on it. I remember reading a biography about him years ago that had poo poo along the lines of "yeah Tesla totally built a rad deathray and fired it off at Russia and so the government busted in and stole all his research after he died."

Yeah I remember reading crazy conspiracy poo poo about him online in the 90s, including the Tunguska event bullshit.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Yes, that's exactly why Sherlock Holmes is my least favorite fictional character of all time. Oh, he makes sweeping generalizations based on minor observational evidence? That's called bigotry around these parts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yes, that's exactly why Sherlock Holmes is my least favorite fictional character of all time. Oh, he makes sweeping generalizations based on minor observational evidence? That's called bigotry around these parts.

It's pretty hilarious though. "That man is either unmarried or on bad terms with his wife. How do I know? His hat is dusty."

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Holmes' superpower isn't his detective skills, it's his luck. Or he may as well be an Ork because his self-assured arrogance is so powerful that anything he believes (with enough conviction) becomes truth.

Given a long enough timeline and enough positive reinforcement, his mild psychic abilities start to shape the world based on his whims.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess, but I know a whole TON of people who had never heard the name "Nikola Tesla" before The Prestige and The Oatmeal but they were loving foaming at the mouth over him afterwards.

Although he was played by Bowie, so we could just chalk it up to Bowie's insane charisma. The Sovereign.

Honestly I am surprised he isn't internet popular as some sort of MRA icon as an example of "look at all the cool poo poo you can get done by ignoring women forever!" Or something dumb like that.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
As much as I love Bowie, John C. Reilly was the superior Tesla.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I actually prefer Carnacki the Ghost Finder, who is basically the poor man's Holmes except paranormal, to Sherlock Holmes. Too bad that the author had to go and die in the Great War and only wrote nine stories.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Aug 25, 2015

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Holmes rules bitches leave

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Drunk Nerds posted:

He is not a fan of those Mormons.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

bobkatt013 posted:

The introduction to the Sherlock Holmes collection I have encourages readers to skip the section of A Study in Scarlet about the Mormons. Which really pisses me off, no professionally-written introduction to a classic novel should be loving encouraging readers to skip sections of the writing, especially if it's just because the editor finds the section offensive.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Eh! Frank posted:

The introduction to the Sherlock Holmes collection I have encourages readers to skip the section of A Study in Scarlet about the Mormons. Which really pisses me off, no professionally-written introduction to a classic novel should be loving encouraging readers to skip sections of the writing, especially if it's just because the editor finds the section offensive.

Sir what's his name should be well recognized for his ability to make Holmes seem smart and criticized for his propensity to be tricked by little girls with victorian age film into believing in fairies.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Eh! Frank posted:

Both A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of the Four make the rather bad decision of cutting away from Watson and Holmes to a boring long-rear end account of the murderer's backstory, sapping all tension with this exposition being introduced at the end of the story instead of the beginning. The other two novels and short-stories are a much better introduction to Holmes and Watson.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

To his credit, he also didn't like the KKK at a time when most saw them as noble.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I like this idea that Sherlock Holmes is actually a reality warper.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Eh! Frank posted:

What a load of garbage. A Study in Scarlet is AMAZING specifically because the entire thing was written to poo poo on the mormons as much as possible.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Sherlock Holmes was a bunch of trashy adventure stories that ran alongside other crap like 'Lord Darkwhimsy's Hidden Treasure', 'Ghosts knock at Midnight' and 'Timothy Lashfist and the Ten Paces at Dawn'. The Strand Magazine that syndicted his stories was about as literary as Heat or FHM is today. Some copies I have have such interesting features as 'Celebrity Dogs' and 'How to shoot Upsidown' articles. It's pure, wonderful trash and thats about it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dr Scoofles posted:

Sherlock Holmes was a bunch of trashy adventure stories that ran alongside other crap like 'Lord Darkwhimsy's Hidden Treasure', 'Ghosts knock at Midnight' and 'Timothy Lashfist and the Ten Paces at Dawn'. The Strand Magazine that syndicted his stories was about as literary as Heat or FHM is today. Some copies I have have such interesting features as 'Celebrity Dogs' and 'How to shoot Upsidown' articles. It's pure, wonderful trash and thats about it.

I would not say that is the complete truth https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strand_Magazine

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dr Scoofles posted:

And yet people will remember it forever more than your equally awful posts.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Yeah there's some pretty incredible names in that "fiction" section.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
House is the best Holmes because crazy jumps of connections actually makes sense in diagnostic medicine versus crazy detective bullshit. You're working with a much infinitely smaller set of possible conditions and you've focused all your life on medicine, instead of like... mud and ash and poo poo being able to tell who is a bachelor and who is married.

And House actually got constant flak for being a douche rather than everybody just letting him get away with it as part of his 'character', and he was also very commonly wrong with his first assumption. (lupus) Sometimes even his second guess was wrong, and it was only at the last moment that he figured things out. Works better than Holmes just jumping straight to the right answer.

I'd like to see a Holmes where he's like "Hey, that hair on your leg means you spent the night with your mistress last night who owns a cocker spaniel" and then the guy is like "uh, nope, I'm single and I own a Labrador" and then Holmes is like "really? gently caress."

At some point you have to be wrong or it gets rid of the joy of being right. Holmes is always psychically right, so it no longer seems like a cool trick and instead its just the writing of the tv show.

Its like how Game of Thrones makes you actually care about the characters because you know they're not safe. (well, other than Daenerys and Tyrion) In most hollywood action, you know even if the hero gets in trouble he's gonna do something daring and escape later on, so there's no danger. But in Game of Thrones if one of your favorite characters is in danger, you're on the edge of your seat worrying that this is really going to be the end, so then if it turns out they do escape its exhilarating instead of boring and predictable.

Light Gun Man posted:

Honestly I am surprised he isn't internet popular as some sort of MRA icon as an example of "look at all the cool poo poo you can get done by ignoring women forever!" Or something dumb like that.

He kinda fell in love with a female pidgeon later in life though :corsair:

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Aug 25, 2015

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Frostwerks posted:

And yet people will remember it forever more than your equally awful posts.

loving rekt. That'll teach that guy for claiming to be the new Arthur Conan Doyle

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd like to see a Holmes where he's like "Hey, that hair on your leg means you spent the night with your mistress last night who owns a cocker spaniel" and then the guy is like "uh, nope, I'm single and I own a Labrador" and then Holmes is like "really? gently caress."

At some point you have to be wrong or it gets rid of the joy of being right. Holmes is always psychically right, so it no longer seems like a cool trick and instead its just the writing of the tv show.

This happens in the second Sherlock movie. I think it may happen in the show as well? Or maybe I'm just thinking about how Holmes doesn't know the world orbits the sun, or something.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Morpheus posted:

This happens in the second Sherlock movie. I think it may happen in the show as well? Or maybe I'm just thinking about how Holmes doesn't know the world orbits the sun, or something.

Yeah he got real mad at watson for even trying to teach him something about astronomy as it couldn't possibly help him determine which tobacconist a murderer frequents. He probably injected some cocaine to strategically forget that bullshit.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Its like how Game of Thrones makes you actually care about the characters because you know they're not safe. (well, other than Daenerys and Tyrion) In most hollywood action, you know even if the hero gets in trouble he's gonna do something daring and escape later on, so there's no danger. But in Game of Thrones if one of your favorite characters is in danger, you're on the edge of your seat worrying that this is really going to be the end, so then if it turns out they do escape its exhilarating instead of boring and predictable.

It's actually the opposite for me. The first 5 or so deaths, I was in to it. Nobody is safe! But now, I just don't give a gently caress. Every really interesting character ends up dead. I'm not sure I'll read the next book.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, there was a bit about how he didn't know about the earth orbiting the sun. I guess that was supposed to represent his knowledge being completely focused on esoteric things but it just seemed so stupid I blocked it out of my memory.

Like, I could see Holmes not knowing things about daily life or technical minutia of some job or whatever, but the earth around the sun? Comeon that's dumb. You'd hear that in passing at some point in your life. There's no way a guy that good at observation and that specific about details would have no loving clue what you're talking about when it comes to Heliocentrism. It plays way too much of a role in other things than astronomy, like history and even the basic seasons.

I want to see Holmes try to use his mind powers and make a mistake, not be dumbfounded over something trivial. That doesn't make sense.

Yeah I think the movie does it but in the Cumberbatch show pretty much every one of his observations / deductions is spot-on. Even to the point where he can go "oh but you wanted me to notice that, so instead I realize that you're actually _______".

ElGroucho posted:

It's actually the opposite for me. The first 5 or so deaths, I was in to it. Nobody is safe! But now, I just don't give a gently caress. Every really interesting character ends up dead. I'm not sure I'll read the next book.

Yeah, that is the flipside. If things get too chaotic you start to loose interest because you don't want to get invested in the first place. Its a tough line to walk.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

WeAreTheRomans posted:

loving rekt. That'll teach that guy for claiming to be the new Arthur Conan Doyle

Suck my goddamned dick

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, there was a bit about how he didn't know about the earth orbiting the sun. I guess that was supposed to represent his knowledge being completely focused on esoteric things but it just seemed so stupid I blocked it out of my memory.

Like, I could see Holmes not knowing things about daily life or technical minutia of some job or whatever, but the earth around the sun? Comeon that's dumb. You'd hear that in passing at some point in your life. There's no way a guy that good at observation and that specific about details would have no loving clue what you're talking about when it comes to Heliocentrism. It plays way too much of a role in other things than astronomy, like history and even the basic seasons.

I want to see Holmes try to use his mind powers and make a mistake, not be dumbfounded over something trivial. That doesn't make sense.

Yeah I think the movie does it but in the Cumberbatch show pretty much every one of his observations / deductions is spot-on. Even to the point where he can go "oh but you wanted me to notice that, so instead I realize that you're actually _______".

Yeah, that is the flipside. If things get too chaotic you start to loose interest because you don't want to get invested in the first place. Its a tough line to walk.

Terry Pratchett once wrote a little about the kind of bullshit observation powers Holmes had, saying that sure, you could deduce that man is a sailor who's fallen on hard times. He could also just be some guy doing some DIY wearing his lovely old clothes, and that marine tattoo he has happened because his mates egged him on to get it when he was blackout drunk. Basically that those observations Holmes has could be completely loving wrong because things he sees could have any number of reasons for being that way. You see someone with a ring-shaped patch of pale skin on their ring finger. Divorced? Maybe. They could also have just sent the ring in to be resized or cleaned. Maybe they lost it down the sink.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ignite Memories posted:

I think for a lot of people (males) Catch Me If You Can was the moment where they put aside their kneejerk reaction to Titanic and realized that Leo DiCaprio is actually a pretty solid actor.

If you're a voracious movie fan, you already knew di Caprio was a solid actor when Titanic came out because you'd seen The Basketball Diaries.

(He was also pretty good in The Quick and the Dead, which is an incredibly silly B-movie with a ridiculously strong cast - in addition to di Caprio it had Sharon Stone, Russell Crowe, Gene Hackman, Lance Henriksen and Keith David.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jedit posted:

If you're a voracious movie fan, you already knew di Caprio was a solid actor when Titanic came out because you'd seen The Basketball Diaries.

(He was also pretty good in The Quick and the Dead, which is an incredibly silly B-movie with a ridiculously strong cast - in addition to di Caprio it had Sharon Stone, Russell Crowe, Gene Hackman, Lance Henriksen and Keith David.)

Also What's eating Gilbert Grape

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Frostwerks posted:

Suck my goddamned dick

Nah bro I'm sweet

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Nah bro I'm sweet

Oh, ok.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Jedit posted:

You forgot Gary Sinise, AND it's directed by Sam Raimi.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Slime posted:

Terry Pratchett once wrote a little about the kind of bullshit observation powers Holmes had, saying that sure, you could deduce that man is a sailor who's fallen on hard times. He could also just be some guy doing some DIY wearing his lovely old clothes, and that marine tattoo he has happened because his mates egged him on to get it when he was blackout drunk. Basically that those observations Holmes has could be completely loving wrong because things he sees could have any number of reasons for being that way. You see someone with a ring-shaped patch of pale skin on their ring finger. Divorced? Maybe. They could also have just sent the ring in to be resized or cleaned. Maybe they lost it down the sink.

Yeah, that's exactly the sort of poo poo I'm talking about.

Do you know what it was? I love everything Pratchett ever wrote.

bobkatt013 posted:

Also What's eating Gilbert Grape

That whole movie was just so :wtf: to me.

Do people find it entertaining? Just seemed like oscar bait to me.

E: Apparently it got good reviews, so I guess I'm just a heartless bastard. Still, I found that movie really uncomfortable.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Can't find a clip but there is a fantastic moment in the Moffat Sherlock series where Sherlock is detectiving while him and Watson are blind drunk. As Watson puts it: "He... he'sh cluin'.. for looks."

Sherlocks brain patterns are hilarious there as well, normally the series pops up little blurbs like "1949 Abercrombie Laquered wood... etc" popup on the screen representing his thought processes, but when drunk all knowledge flies out of the window and all he can muster is:

Chair???/
...Sitty Thing...
Comfy...
????

Then he falls asleep on their carpet and gets kicked out.

I also like when Irene Adler gets the better of him by stripping anything identifying away, ie going completely naked, and all he can deduce is:
??????
??????
??
???

Over and over because of having nothing to go on.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
A movie thing that irritates me irrationally is actors pretending to eat and drink, because it's usually really obvious when they're just pretending.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah, that scene was really well done and was probably my favorite moment of sherlock season 3. It was a fun inversion of the floating-magic-text they had going on. And yeah, it was legitimately funny.

Van Dis posted:

A movie thing that irritates me irrationally is actors pretending to eat and drink, because it's usually really obvious when they're just pretending.

Yeah this is a classic, I think we've talked about it in the thread before. Thing is if you're doing multiple takes you can't be drinking or you'll get hosed up and your acting will go out the window. (I guess unless you're a hardcore method actor? Even then)

Drugs are even tougher because its not even legal to shoot. Hell in most movies these days they have to use herbal cigarettes because filming actors smoking tobacco is illegal.

I dunno though, most actors are really bad but sometimes they do a pretty drat good job. I have to imagine the difference is which actors have taken drugs and which haven't :cheeky: Probably not quite that simple though.

Are there any good stories of film crews flying out into international waters to try out drugs?

I think I remember hearing something about a crew flying to south america and everybody trying Ayahuasca but I don't remember for sure.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, that scene was really well done and was probably my favorite moment of sherlock season 3. It was a fun inversion of the floating-magic-text they had going on. And yeah, it was legitimately funny.

Yeah this is a classic, I think we've talked about it in the thread before. Thing is if you're doing multiple takes you can't be drinking or you'll get hosed up and your acting will go out the window. (I guess unless you're a hardcore method actor? Even then)

I'm sure 99.99% of the time you see an actor drinking 'alcohol', it's actually a non-alcoholic substitute.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, that's exactly the sort of poo poo I'm talking about.

Do you know what it was? I love everything Pratchett ever wrote.

It's in Feet of Clay.

"Samuel Vimes dreamed about Clues. He had a jaundiced view of Clues. He instinctively distrusted them. They got in the way. And he distrusted the kind of person who’d take one look at another man and say in a lordly voice to his companion, “Ah, my dear sir, I can tell you nothing except that he is a left-handed stonemason who has spent some years in the merchant navy and has recently fallen on hard times,” and then unroll a lot of supercilious commentary about calluses and stance and the state of a man’s boots, when exactly the same comments could apply to a man who was wearing his old clothes because he’d been doing a spot of home bricklaying for a new barbecue pit, and had been tattooed once when he was drunk and seventeen* and in fact got seasick on a wet pavement. What arrogance! What an insult to the rich and chaotic variety of the human experience!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With season 3 I thought the wedding of Watson was a funny episode as well, Sherlock hijacks his own best man speech to crowdsource a riddle he is having trouble with involving a weapon that was never anywhere near the crime scene. One idiot (also being used as a replacement sherlock by the lab assistant who is crushing on him due to being a tall dark man in a big coat) Proposes s 'knife of meat and bone that disassembled and washed down the drain." Sherlocks response is just:

"A meat knife?!" just astounded how little thought went into that idea. Also after he realises what a lovely friend he is due to hijacking Watson's wedding to crowdsource a case he ends up making some really sweet points about not knowing why Watson sticks by him like he does, and panics seeing the crowds reaction:

"Why are they crying? Did I do it wrong?"

:3: