Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't get how this is even enforceable? What's stopping Trump from signing the pledge with his fingers crossed behind his back, then just running as an independent anyway if he doesn't get the GOP nomination?
Absolutely nothing, as far as I know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

Trump is going to win.

More than 50% of the delegates are handed out proportionally, only the states after Mar 15 can be winner take all.
This means that in a large field the delegates are being spread across everyone. Even if Trump is winning everything with 30% of the vote, he is only getting 30% of the delegates (apx cause the math is different in each state)
Assume 10 candidates make it to the 8th of March (Michigan and Mississippi) the magic 50% mark, with Trump getting 30% of the delegates. Thats about 310 hard delegates that must vote for him. The other 10 candidates have about 715 hard delegates.

So halfway through the race Trump needs 926 more delegates. (1236 is the magic number)

437 delegates are able to vote for anyone, no matter who won their state (all of these are party establishment)
So establishment candidate X gets most of the 437 votes and only needs 799 more.
Basically Trump needs 1236 and Candidate X needs 799.
Assume (fantasy time) the 9 other candidates try to pass their delegates to Candidate X, this puts them under 100 delegates from locking it up and we are only half way through.

Trump needs to win everyone of the winner take all states like Florida. The second half of the primary must be all Trump all the time.

I'm not saying its impossible for Trump to win, just very hard.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't get how this is even enforceable? What's stopping Trump from signing the pledge with his fingers crossed behind his back, then just running as an independent anyway if he doesn't get the GOP nomination? The worst I can see them doing is shutting Trump out of next cycle's primaries, and we all know his attention span is not that long.

It's kind of a dumb move tactically, too.

"Please sign this pledge saying you won't run as an Independent. Or else we won't let you run as a Republican. Because we're terrified of you running as an Independent."

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't get how this is even enforceable? What's stopping Trump from signing the pledge with his fingers crossed behind his back, then just running as an independent anyway if he doesn't get the GOP nomination? The worst I can see them doing is shutting Trump out of next cycle's primaries, and we all know his attention span is not that long.
For a normal candidate (eg bush) giving your word and then immediately going back on it when things don't go your way would be regarded negatively by voters.
Trump is not a normal candidate, but what else is the GOP gonna do?

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/25/exclusive-ann-coulter-to-introduce-donald-trump-in-iowa/

quote:

Eleven-time New York Times bestselling author Ann Coulter will introduce 2016 GOP frontrunner Donald Trump at a rally in Iowa on Tuesday, Breitbart News has learned exclusively.

“This is the first time I’ve thought there was hope for our country again since Nov. 7, 2012,” Coulter said in an email to Breitbart News when asked why she is introducing Trump.

Coulter, the author of the bestselling ¡Adios America! about immigration, is extraordinarily pleased by Trump’s immigration reform plan. On Breitbart News Sunday this weekend on Sirius XM Patriot, Coulter walked through how happy she was.

Coulter will be signing copies of her book at a Trump campaign rally in Dubuque, Iowa, at 4:30 p.m. CT and will be speaking before Trump in front of an expected crowd of 1,600.

Trump’s immigration reform plan aims to put Americans ahead of foreigners and special interests and has several aspects in it designed to do that. He wants to build a wall on the border, make Mexico pay for it, end birthright citizenship for anchor babies, and put restrictions on legal immigration designed to ensure Americans have first access to jobs instead of illegal immigrants or future foreigners.

Comments are pretty choice.

quote:

Anyways i have done my research. And after it all I came to the conclusion that you're a genious (sarcasm since i feel the need to spell it out for you).

I guess Obama supporters really are dumb.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

awesmoe posted:

For a normal candidate (eg bush) giving your word and then immediately going back on it when things don't go your way would be regarded negatively by voters.
Trump is not a normal candidate, but what else is the GOP gonna do?
Don't try to screw Trump over, hope someone beats him 'straight up' without any fuckery, hope he takes this as a sign that he shouldn't run third party.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've also just realized what my greatest hope for the general election is: Trump wins and we see our first ever open revolt of the Electoral College.

(Which would somehow result in Jim Gilmore becoming President.)

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Dahn posted:

More than 50% of the delegates are handed out proportionally, only the states after Mar 15 can be winner take all.
This means that in a large field the delegates are being spread across everyone. Even if Trump is winning everything with 30% of the vote, he is only getting 30% of the delegates (apx cause the math is different in each state)
Assume 10 candidates make it to the 8th of March (Michigan and Mississippi) the magic 50% mark, with Trump getting 30% of the delegates. Thats about 310 hard delegates that must vote for him. The other 10 candidates have about 715 hard delegates.

So halfway through the race Trump needs 926 more delegates. (1236 is the magic number)

437 delegates are able to vote for anyone, no matter who won their state (all of these are party establishment)
So establishment candidate X gets most of the 437 votes and only needs 799 more.
Assume (fantasy time) the 9 other candidates try to pass their delegates to Candidate X, this puts them under 100 delegates from locking it up and we are only half way through.

Trump needs to win everyone of the winner take all states like Florida. The second half of the primary must be all Trump all the time.

For the proportionality states, I think that assigning 30% to Trump is a bit of a lowball. And it seems very likely that Trump will win all of the winner take all states.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
If Trump was the clear frontrunner among voting Republicans by the time of the convention, and those 437 establishment delegates voted for Candidate X anyway, there would be a Trumpian bloodbath

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Edit: Nevermind. I misread something.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 25, 2015

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Coulter fulfilling her destiny as Eva Braun

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Xenophon posted:

If Trump was the clear frontrunner among voting Republicans by the time of the convention, and those 437 establishment delegates voted for Candidate X anyway, there would be a Trumpian bloodbath

Didn't Hillary's campaign claim this is what happened in 2008 with Obama? I remember something about them saying that Obama supporters blocked the doors or something.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Joementum posted:

Also, it's completely understandable to not know the rules of delegate apportionment off the top of your head.

Mark Penn account spotted.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

York_M_Chan posted:

Didn't Hillary's campaign claim this is what happened in 2008 with Obama? I remember something about them saying that Obama supporters blocked the doors or something.

Hillary Clinton at the 2008 Democratic convention moved to nominate Barack Obama herself, so this seems unlikely.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I vaguely remember something like that but it was at the Iowa caucus, not the actual DNC. poo poo got rowdy back then.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Dahn posted:

Realistically, Trump only needs to maintain a large enough delegate lead that the RNC must choose between him and going to a brokered convention. Both a brokered convention and a Trump nomination would be a disaster for the Republicans and spell certain doom. If the establishment decides to end him, it's certain that he will run as a third party out of spite and probably beat whatever candidate has all of several months to build an organization that can win in November. If they don't, they get Trump. Either way, you've got Trump. I tend to think they'd go with their party's chosen nominee.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 25, 2015

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Antti posted:

I vaguely remember something like that but it was at the Iowa caucus, not the actual DNC. poo poo got rowdy back then.

I meant the Caucus, sorry.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

York_M_Chan posted:

I meant the Caucus, sorry.

Yeah, that makes more sense. The Clinton campaign basically stopped its horseshit once the Florida and Michigan delegate situation was settled and the superdelegates made it clear they'd back Obama as the leader of the primary/caucus delegate count.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

To me it's less about what he'd do in the General, and more if he'd even sign the pledge in the first place. He's gathering support from people who see him as the "tough negotiator" and someone who "cuts through the bullshit and tells it like it is." And he just had a debate where he said he would not promise to not run third party. What's he gonna do now, sign a pledge promising that very thing? Not likely, as it's possible it could start to crack his image with his supporters (pretty easy to paint him as another party hack if he signs the pledge now). So either they embarrass him, or they get him off the primary ballots.

Which in turn would piss him off even more, he'd makes a huge fuss about not being allowed on the ballots, gaining in the polls as a result, and either they let him on anyway, or he gets so angry he does, in fact, run third party if he hasn't already gotten the nomination.

It's a rather terrible plan. But they have no idea how to stop him.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 25, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jewel Repetition posted:

Trump is going to win.

https://vine.co/v/epwlKVdLW57

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized that when Trump runs Third Party he's still going to be in the Presidential Debates because ratings.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

"Superdelegates" only exist in the DNC, which lets all Congressional, Gubernatorial, and Presidential Democrats be delegates at the convention.

Not true! Each state has at most three republican superdelegates which means they make up a near meaningless 5% of all delegates.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
"Anti-Chris Christie PAC shutting down because his campaign tanked without their help"

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/anti-chris-christie-pac-shutting-down-because-his-campaign-tanked-without-their-help/

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

York_M_Chan posted:

You think a Trump rap won't work?

its amazing how this movie is still relevant. American politics can be such a troglodyte~ Well ofc it'd have to be, a bunch of old men.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I approve of Trump's brave anti-oreo stance. Also, gently caress Kraft (owns Nabisco) chocolate: http://themarginalized.com/forced-migration/chocolate/

Real patriots eat these:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The Colorado GOP has cancelled it's caucus vote.

http://www.denverpost.com/politics/ci_28700919/colorado-republicans-cancel-2016-presidential-caucus-vote

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Jeb Bush’s fundraising juggernaut shows signs of slowing

Seems like the big money establishment types are reluctant to keep throwing good money after bad

quote:

“The debate performance scared a few people,” said Brian Ballard, a Tallahassee lobbyist backing Bush. “But I think the campaign’s trouble raising money right now is not because of his performance, but there’s some donor fatigue after that $100 million. I’ve been on some donor calls and it’s a hard sell for hard money.”

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Garrison gonna be pissed:

Trump the Dragon Slayer Billboard Revealed on Hwy 50

http://www.westernslopenow.com/news/local-news/trump-the-dragon-slayer-billboard-revealed-on-hwy-50

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
this is the best

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Local TV commercials and local newscasters are the best.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
lmao the rainbow wings.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Full banner:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I don't give a poo poo anymore, Trump is the best thing that could happen to this stupid election cycle, including everything that hasn't happened yet.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Montasque posted:

Full banner:

Wow, that guy sure does hate acronyms

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
UN BLM PP FEMA NSA IRS DEA EPA DHS FED ISIS A' GLBT CFR IRAN SC

I don't know some of these

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

LIBTARDS

I love you Donald

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
PC

MUSLIM

MARXIST

MEDIA

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Brannock posted:

Did you read the post you quoted?

Yes.

Montasque posted:

Full banner:

Amazing, although the hair lacks the luxurious gold of the real thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Third World Reggin posted:

UN BLM PP FEMA NSA IRS DEA EPA DHS FED ISIS A' GLBT CFR IRAN SC

I don't know some of these

Anyone who hopes President Trump will end DHS is... not paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Okay, so you have absolutely terrible reading comprehension, because Neurolimal was saying that Trump's presence and effect on the American right would be good for progressives, not that Trump's proto-fascism was progressive.

• Locked thread