Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Songs are always the mistake in the dramatization.

Some of the songs are kinda cheesy (I always cringe at the 'sing all ye people' one just before Aragorn is crowned), but I think they did a really good job of integrating the music with the story. In particular I love the way they combined singing and normal voice acting for the Pelennor fields and the death of Theoden.

It might just be because I grew up with the BBC version, but for me it is the definitive dramatization. It captures the sense of an age that is coming to an end in a way that the movies completely fail at IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

spiderbot posted:

Some of the songs are kinda cheesy (I always cringe at the 'sing all ye people' one just before Aragorn is crowned), but I think they did a really good job of integrating the music with the story. In particular I love the way they combined singing and normal voice acting for the Pelennor fields and the death of Theoden.

True, those aren't bad, but in my opinion the way they cast them to music sort of obscured the structure of the poetry. Those songs were Tolkien nerding out doing straight-up Beowulf-style Anglo-Saxon alliterative verse, and trying to make it sound like a "song" the way we understand it feels like they just didn't really realize what they were working with.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Data Graham posted:

True, those aren't bad, but in my opinion the way they cast them to music sort of obscured the structure of the poetry. Those songs were Tolkien nerding out doing straight-up Beowulf-style Anglo-Saxon alliterative verse, and trying to make it sound like a "song" the way we understand it feels like they just didn't really realize what they were working with.

beowulf was meant to be sung

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Smoking Crow posted:

beowulf was meant to be sung

Is there a well-done version of this with a modern English translation?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ynglaur posted:

Is there a well-done version of this with a modern English translation?

Songs are usually lost in translation, it's like (well it literally is) poetry.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, and what I'm saying is that it's always seemed to me like however poems like Beowulf were meant to be sung, it can't have had much bearing on the kind of construction we normally think of as a "song" today, whether pop music on the radio or a faux-archaic performance in a BBC drama. For the alliteration to come through as the dominant feature of the verses (rather than, say, rhyming and consistent meter) would have meant a very different kind of delivery from what we're used to.

Oh who am I kidding, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The way Old English poetry used alliteration is a type of rhyming. It is ancestral to other English poetry, after all.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for the responses: I hadn't really thought of those aspects. Is there a version sung in Old English? I wouldn't understand it, but it still might be fun to listen to.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ynglaur posted:

Thanks for the responses: I hadn't really thought of those aspects. Is there a version sung in Old English? I wouldn't understand it, but it still might be fun to listen to.

http://www.bagbybeowulf.com/dvd/index.html

32+ dollars, alas.

But here's a reading of a brief passage:
http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/stella/readings/OE/BEOWULF.HTM

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Bagby has a clip on YouTube from that performance and it's awesome, just to give you a sample of what a really dramatized reading can sound like

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I haven't read The Children of Hurin yet (should I?), but I've been thinking about it going through the bits in Unfinished Tales. While from a world-building perspective there's nothing wrong with having the good guys eat poo poo, trying to put it in the framework of "Anglo-Fantasy Veggie Tales" raises a lot of questions. I guess it has something of a Job vibe to it, but Job also feels out of place in the JudeoChristian Literature.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SirPhoebos posted:

I haven't read The Children of Hurin yet (should I?), but I've been thinking about it going through the bits in Unfinished Tales. While from a world-building perspective there's nothing wrong with having the good guys eat poo poo, trying to put it in the framework of "Anglo-Fantasy Veggie Tales" raises a lot of questions. I guess it has something of a Job vibe to it, but Job also feels out of place in the JudeoChristian Literature.

You should definitely read it. The audiobook version is also great, it's read by Christopher Lee himself! It's not based on the Bible but on pagan sources, mainly on Kalevala's Kullervo poem, and also has elements from Oedipus and Volsung Saga.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 3, 2015

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Yeah, it's basically a doomy Norse saga with added Dark-Lord-gonna-make-you-watch-while-your-family-gets-hosed-over.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The unfinished tales versions are good too. Glauurung is the best villain.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Swept through the first 50 pages of Children of Hurin this afternoon. It's so well written and such a joy to read. Considering all of his achievements it's easy to forget that Tolkien can just write really well. I get the style may not be for everyone but if you like it there's nothing quite like it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Swept through the first 50 pages of Children of Hurin this afternoon. It's so well written and such a joy to read. Considering all of his achievements it's easy to forget that Tolkien can just write really well. I get the style may not be for everyone but if you like it there's nothing quite like it.

I had a quick look at it, isn't basically an Icelandic saga?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's inspired by the Kalevala. Kullervo specifically.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

It's inspired by the Kalevala. Kullervo specifically.

Story-wise I understand, I was talking about the writing style.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There's like 4 or 5 versions of it so. I think the book that was published is just prose but there are alliterative verse versions as well.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The book's prose. It's sparse but direct. He's got his own voice and it show's well in Children of Hurin. It's just been a while since I've read his work and it's nice to come back to it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah; before I read it I really thought it's just shilling a story that's already in the Silmarillion for more money while the movies are still popular but it turned out surprisingly good.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah; before I read it I really thought it's just shilling a story that's already in the Silmarillion for more money while the movies are still popular but it turned out surprisingly good.

It was, but it did.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I really want the full version of the Fall of Gondolin. Turgon is the best Noldor and Ulmo is the bro-est Valar.

poo poo, can you imagine the scene where Tuor enters the empty city of Vinyamar, finds the emtpy armor elft for him ages ago and then Ulmo arrives to tell him of his destiny? Epic poo poo right there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It'd also mean more Maeglin; I'm always cool with more Maeglin. For some reason traitors make for fascinating characters.
I'm not sure if Tolkien wrote about that one in more detail, though; I know there's a fragment about Tuor entering Gondolin for the first time and passing through all the gates but that seems to be about it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Yeah, characters that make stuff happen are interesting. That's why Fëanor is the most interesting character that Tolkien created.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

Yeah, characters that make stuff happen are interesting. That's why F anor is the most interesting character that Tolkien created.

Ahem: Galadriel. :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

It'd also mean more Maeglin; I'm always cool with more Maeglin. For some reason traitors make for fascinating characters.
I'm not sure if Tolkien wrote about that one in more detail, though; I know there's a fragment about Tuor entering Gondolin for the first time and passing through all the gates but that seems to be about it.

It was the fiest story Tolkien wrote, back when he was in the trenches. It's just quite outdated due to changes to the legendarium.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Read the version in the Book of Lost Tales it is awesome.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ynglaur posted:

Ahem: Galadriel. :colbert:

Galadriel doesn't really... do... much. :/

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
Another vote for Fëanor from me. That dude was a badass. I'd love a cinematic retelling of his story as long as it's closer to lotr than the hobbit in style.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'd put a whole hour in to the taking of the Teleri ships. It's pretty much LOTR Pearl Harbour.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Catsplosion posted:

Another vote for Fëanor from me. That dude was a badass. I'd love a cinematic retelling of his story as long as it's closer to lotr than the hobbit in style.

Bruno Ganz as Fëanor.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think Feanor is an annoying git. :shrug: I'm more of a Fingolfin fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aB6CPyO0Ww

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

my dad posted:

I think Feanor is an annoying git. :shrug: I'm more of a Fingolfin fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aB6CPyO0Ww
Feanor's incredibly interesting in part because he's, uh, very flawed, to be polite.

E: vvvv. I suppose. Both Maeglin and Maedhros are pretty cool to read about too.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 7, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ravenfood posted:

Feanor's incredibly interesting in part because he's, uh, very flawed, to be polite.

Eh, he's just a selfish rear end in a top hat who happens to be really powerful and talented. Some of his sons have a lot more depth to them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

my dad posted:

Eh, he's just a selfish rear end in a top hat who happens to be really powerful and talented. Some of his sons have a lot more depth to them.

I like to think that the one of them managed to live through to the time of Lord of the Rings.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like to think that the one of them managed to live through to the time of Lord of the Rings.

Nope, all dead. Feanor was lucky in that his curse consumed only one generation after his.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What a strange definition of "lucky" :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The same Curse was on Galadriel and only lifted when she refused the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

VanSandman posted:

Nope, all dead. Feanor was lucky in that his curse consumed only one generation after his.

Nah, at the end of the Silmarillion, one of them is still alive, his hands burned by the Simaril he threw into the sea, and he wanders off out of the story.

Quick Google search tells me it's Maglor.