Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Some people have wondered why someone from EU would play on NA, and asked if it's simply a matter of language barriers, or maybe some sort of culture issue. It's both.
Here's a typical example of what you'll see in most matches on EU, whether in WOT or WoWS:

Sure, you'll see plenty of insults from dickheads on NA as well, but notice the style of the smug, judgemental, lazy, semi-literate EU retard. That's what drives me nuts.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
#blacklivesmatter is so much more high brow

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

Reztes posted:

Also the Murmansk keeps me in Confederate signal flags for grinding through stock hulls faster, it's really great at pooping damage on a ton of people seriously

E:

I just started the Bogue and tried the double fighter build and goddamn you hardly have any replacement planes if you do get shot down - 50% more squads with 2-6 fewer planes than the Langley means 2 replacement planes per squad, why the hell did I decide to play US carriers again :psyduck:

I'm having pretty decent luck with the twin fighter squadron layout on the bogue. i find its usually best to keep your fighter squads close together early on, so they can back up each other, especially if you find you are facing another dual fighter american carrier. and dont fight over their AA, fight over your own ships, if possible.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dark Helmut posted:

#blacklivesmatter is so much more high brow

Telling people the only way the Yamato could've been more worthless is if it was filled with Tiger tanks seems to work as bait, too.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
This is really amazing :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZAH8cxufPc

Vid from a WoWS Asia moderator

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

hahaha that's awesome. Poor babby dds :downs: It's like watching my cats chase the laser pointer around the room and slam head-on into each other.

Also I don't think that BB breaks 16 knots the entire time.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

PirateBob posted:

That is a great video. I love when both sides of secondaries are broadsiding simultaneously.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

MoraleHazard posted:

That is a great video. I love when both sides of secondaries are broadsiding simultaneously.

Bonus points: Double TK from the enemy DD.

Also: Whoever posted the "how to fire from smoke" video: Thanks.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Getting really tired of the sheer bullshit that manual torp dropping allows.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Blinks77 posted:

Getting really tired of the sheer bullshit that manual torp dropping allows.

Yeah. Our CVs in the last game were both Strike Bogues and we were up against 2 T6 Japanese carriers. I did my best, took out two Clevelands, but there's nothing a New York can do without air cover against 3 Torp Bomber squads.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Yeah. Our CVs in the last game were both Strike Bogues and we were up against 2 T6 Japanese carriers. I did my best, took out two Clevelands, but there's nothing a New York can do without air cover against 3 Torp Bomber squads.

I just want to know what Wargaming were smoking when they thought that was a good idea. It's killing my interest in this game like nothing else.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
How do you play the Phoenix. Is it a gun ship or a torpedo ship?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I was beginning to wonder if the thread would catch up with what us spergs have had to deal with since we hit tier 8 weeks ago.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Gun ship.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Ok, I think I might lay off a bit on US CVs. Their TBs can't drop as close as the IJN ones. The TB spread is really tight, but even at the highest tiers its not TERRIBLY overwhelming. Cross spreads are still rough business, but its not quite as hard to avoid. I mean, the problem with scouting forever and having too much HP still exists, but the torpedo spreads aren't impossible for a DD to avoid due to the longer drop range. Though the spreads are a lot deadlier to CAs, due to the tight formation (assuming the squad hasn't been panicked, of course). And the Midway only get 5 squads, maximum of 2 torpedo bomber squads, so they only have one shot at a cross spread and any planes they lose impact the effectiveness of the spread. That also means they're less likely to randomly find you just by flying their planes around, and they're dedicating more of their total squads to spot you.

IJN CVs, though. loving drops literally right on top of you, squads up the rear end, and they can get 3 TB squads AT TIER 5. Up to 9 squads at once means they'll find you and not bat an eyelid at keeping somebody on you to keep you spotted, and you'll be damned if you can even kill off one plane before every cruiser in the game has blasted you to hell and back. Dodged a cross spread? Oh well, you'll just get nailed with 2-4 dive bombers later, and one of those DBs can then stick around to keep you spotted if he doesn't have a spare fighter to use.

CVs need a cut to their HP and concealment, that much is already straight up necessary. They're tankier than cruisers, so even if I land a good torpedo spread on them, I need to connect with an obscene amount of torps to actually sink them, when CAs usually only can eat 3 before they're done. CVs aren't battleships, but they can eat just as many torps as them? And if I don't have torps, it'll take me 2-3 minutes to burn them down with guns, all the while dodging dive bombers and torpedo bombers. And not being seen until fairly close is also a problem, as they're already really far away from fights. This also happens to be a thing IJN CVs are better at than US CVs, which is pretty funny.

I've actually been thinking about this a lot. It'd be cool if planes were made faster, and a fuel mechanic added to planes. Planes have plenty of time to find a target, make a run, and return, but sitting around forever means they run low on fuel, which cuts their survivability gradually until they're out of fuel, causing them to automatically queue an return to ship command that can't be cancelled. On top of that, TBs lose accuracy and gain arming distance on their torpedoes the further away from the CV they are when they carry out their attack, and dive bombers can only do manual drops on targets within a certain range of the CV. This brings an incentive for the CV to get closer to the fight, and accentuates their vulnerability to hostile ship attacks. Perhaps improve their concealment to better emphasize the "get close, but stay out of sight" aspect. Grant AP bombs to DBs, and make all planes worse at spotting ships, and remove their ability to detect torpedoes. Grant CVs a new kind of plane they can take in their squads, dedicated to scouting (with some self-defense armament against fighters, of course), which carries all the current perks planes have about scouting, including torp spotting. Perhaps the scouting plane can mark targets and improve the accuracy of ships and dive bombers against that ship for a short duration, too, if this proves to be too much of a nerf to anti-DD scouting. More options for CVs.

Or WG could just delete CVs. That'd be easier and healthier for this game.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Standard Battle on Two Brothers? Ugh. Well at least the carriers don't look too ba-OH poo poo!

On my team. Great. This is a loss.

Well of course.

And you can't even get those "kills and experience," you loving worthless retard. a loss of course

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I really think that Japanese CVs should have the same plane load out as U.S. CVs. Even with a fighter load out at tier 6 I can't stop a Japanese carrier's wave of 3 torp and 2 bomber in time to save my carrier if I get rushed. I either end up sunk or heavily damaged and ripe pickings for the next wave/destroyer.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

El Disco posted:

Standard Battle on Two Brothers? Ugh. Well at least the carriers don't look too ba-OH poo poo!

On my team. Great. This is a loss.

Well of course.

And you can't even get those "kills and experience," you loving worthless retard. a loss of course

Haha, that guy is great.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The upcoming patch replaces the full bomber loadout on most (all?) of the Japanese carriers with a fighter loadout. It should reduce the amount of bullshit from carriers, except US tier 9 and 10.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

drat lost my first game today, 12-1-1. Got the one team in the game who doesnt know how to easy win Hotspot. Top tier game even, dunno how you not know how to play it by now.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 26, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

DurosKlav posted:

drat lost my first game today, 11-1-1. Got the one team in the game who doesnt know how to easy win Hotspot. Top tier game even, dunno how you not know how to play it by now.

Sorry.

Anyway even though I haven't had much of an opportunity to get fair fights on the Nagato yet, I'm enjoying it. Really need the engine upgrade, it seems so slow coming from the Fuso.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DurosKlav posted:

drat lost my first game today, 12-1-1. Got the one team in the game who doesnt know how to easy win Hotspot. Top tier game even, dunno how you not know how to play it by now.

For my, uh, friend's benefit, mind explaining how to win said map?

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
imo, they ought to just make DD's invisible to aircraft unless the DD fires their main battery/AA guns.

Probably not terribly realistic, but eh, whatever.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

For my, uh, friend's benefit, mind explaining how to win said map?

If you can convince the pubbies to collapse on one of their spawns there is not much that the enemy can do against you. For example, if your team spawns NW/SE you can crush the enemy on NE while their other team can't really react to it. It's the reason why cross spawn will be removed after the patch.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

From what I've heard though its being added to one of the new maps. I generally find that the NE/SW spawns are the best ones. Collapse in on the SE and they have little to no recourse without trying to get through a bunch of island choke points.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

PirateBob posted:

LOL

Omg. What a clusterfuck

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I'm really happy that my addiction to maximizing the AA on all of my US CLs is actually useful :shobon: my Atlanta gets at least fifteen and usually over twenty plane kills per game when there are enemy cvs, especially lower tiered Japanese ones. Kinda considering buying the premium AA ability for it too...

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
2nd game in the Nicholas happens to be one of my best games ever...

I haven't played DDs much but me and this little boat can do work.

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 26, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
^^^ Timg that.

Anyone have a good video for the Nagato brawling? I can't seem to find a video that isn't bad or just sniping.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Great match making there wargaming.

Couldnt give us the non grouped Yamato?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

TehKeen posted:

I'm really happy that my addiction to maximizing the AA on all of my US CLs is actually useful :shobon: my Atlanta gets at least fifteen and usually over twenty plane kills per game when there are enemy cvs, especially lower tiered Japanese ones. Kinda considering buying the premium AA ability for it too...

You can buy premium consumables for credits, and you won't lose credits even if you use both premium consumables and camo.

pidgeotto-san
May 1, 2003

DurosKlav posted:

Great match making there wargaming.

Couldnt give us the non grouped Yamato?

It's almost as if they're using the same matchmaker as tanks.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

James Garfield posted:

You can buy premium consumables for credits, and you won't lose credits even if you use both premium consumables and camo.

Tell me about it, I had a game a day or two ago where I made 528k credits in the Atlanta. :getin:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I highly recommend Defensive Fire 2 on the Atlanta. Just for maximum plane hate.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

wdarkk posted:

That still protects the Omaha from the Mogami, North Carolina, and Iowa.

That was my point.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pidgeotto-san posted:

It's almost as if they're using the same matchmaker as tanks.

I could have sworn the tanks MM generally gives similar numbers of all classes to each team. Not the crap here where one side can end up with like 4 destroyers and the other none. What's especially fun is when one side ends up with both more carriers AND more US cruisers with DF. Because making an algorithm that sets up generally balanced teams considering the 5 minute window sure is hard, apparently.

Also Hazdoc, seriously lay off. We get it, you don't like carriers. But maybe you should stop being dishonest in your arguments against them if you want to actually be taken seriously. No, IJN carriers never get access to 9 squads, they cap at 8 at T10 alone. And T5s only have 5, despite your sentence arrangement carrying the implication that they get the max as well. No, no carriers have as much HP as battleships, they generally sit at roughly 2/3s the amount(generally edging lower), and can eat nowhere near as many torpedoes, as not only is their overall HP lower, but they have worse torpedo protection as well.

As for torpedo bomber differences, again maybe you should actually check the stats? There's a 1 second difference in arming time between the two, or ~50 meters ship scale. Given the extremely tight spread of US torpedoes, this STILL makes them harder to dodge, as some ships simply cannot thread between them, unlike IJN spreads. And you do realize the max damage of a single squad of US torpedo bombers is 59k, while two squads of IJN bombers only reach 68k, right? And that's if every torpedo hits, as opposed reality where both setups generally get about 4 with a decent drop(maybe edging up to 5 & 6, respectively, as ships get longer at the highest tiers), resulting in US squadrons actually doing MORE damage than two IJN. And you vastly understate how good 2 tight spreads as opposed to three loose spreads are. I regularly have more difficulty with a single US squadron targeting me than two IJN ones, and I'm still below the level that sees Essexes and Midways often.

There are plenty of arguments to be made about how carriers and their mechanics work and how they should possibly be changed. You are not making them. Possibly the difference in servicing time should be changed; possibly arming time should be modified; maybe IJN carriers should have a slower growth in how many squadrons they get; maybe plane spotting needs to be changed, for any number of things. Those are actual talking points.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The problem I have with Carriers is mostly that there's very little you can do to interact with them (aside from hunting down and cutting out the skycancer) and a lot they can do to interact with you. But the problem cuts both ways: If the Carrier is in a place where his opponents are doing the right thing and/or just have the right team (shitload of Clevelands, etc) there's not much the CV can do about it, either. It's just sort of 'You're hosed' or 'You're fine' with nothing in between and it's heavily decided by MM and the whim of the pubs.

So basically, the problem I have isn't so much that they can hang out above my BB and wait for me to commit to turning into where they were 5 seconds ago to all cross drop me, its that if I'm in that situation there's little I can do to avoid taking a couple fish. Likewise, if they're up against heavy AA, AA is entirely RNG/passive and so if people are in a death-ball there isn't much the CV can do to route around it. The problems with air stuff cut both ways, they're just more likely to cut in favor of the CV than not.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I didn't play extensively on the test server or anything, but I doubt Japanese carriers will be broken after the patch removes their 0 fighter loadouts. They're pretty broken now though.
I haven't played above tier 6 since CBT, but Essex and Midway bomber loadouts are super broken and the patch does nothing to them.

Also carriers have to deal with a bunch of bullshit that other classes don't: superior fighters that literally can't be killed, catapult fighters, an AA ability that straight up makes you miss, de facto ammo limits, etc. It could easily go the other way, even though right now the bullshit carriers can do to other classes outweighs it.
I think it'd be more interesting if there were more of an active role to scouting, where you actually had to use player controlled scouts or carrier planes to locate enemies at maximum range instead of spotting all your targets from your own ship. As it is, scouts are (with the exception of maybe spotting a destroyer or torpedo) just a passive boost to gun range or CV player annoyance, and other than permanent spotting and nullifying destroyers there's no particular reason to use CV planes as scouts.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 26, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lord Koth posted:

Also Hazdoc, seriously lay off. We get it, you don't like carriers. But maybe you should stop being dishonest in your arguments against them if you want to actually be taken seriously. No, IJN carriers never get access to 9 squads, they cap at 8 at T10 alone. And T5s only have 5, despite your sentence arrangement carrying the implication that they get the max as well. No, no carriers have as much HP as battleships, they generally sit at roughly 2/3s the amount(generally edging lower), and can eat nowhere near as many torpedoes, as not only is their overall HP lower, but they have worse torpedo protection as well.

As for torpedo bomber differences, again maybe you should actually check the stats? There's a 1 second difference in arming time between the two, or ~50 meters ship scale. Given the extremely tight spread of US torpedoes, this STILL makes them harder to dodge, as some ships simply cannot thread between them, unlike IJN spreads. And you do realize the max damage of a single squad of US torpedo bombers is 59k, while two squads of IJN bombers only reach 68k, right? And that's if every torpedo hits, as opposed reality where both setups generally get about 4 with a decent drop(maybe edging up to 5 & 6, respectively, as ships get longer at the highest tiers), resulting in US squadrons actually doing MORE damage than two IJN. And you vastly understate how good 2 tight spreads as opposed to three loose spreads are. I regularly have more difficulty with a single US squadron targeting me than two IJN ones, and I'm still below the level that sees Essexes and Midways often.

There are plenty of arguments to be made about how carriers and their mechanics work and how they should possibly be changed. You are not making them. Possibly the difference in servicing time should be changed; possibly arming time should be modified; maybe IJN carriers should have a slower growth in how many squadrons they get; maybe plane spotting needs to be changed, for any number of things. Those are actual talking points.

8, 9, still too drat many. I don't get where you're getting I said the Zuiho has 9 squads, that'd be insane to even say.

DD's take bonus damage from torpedo hits to the midsection of the ship. Usually this bonus can get as bonkers as 2X damage, with only the Fletcher and Gearing surviving a TB hit to the midsection, I think. I've lost count of the number of times I've died in one hit to a single torpedo from a TB. I try not to depress myself about these things. Hits to the bow/stern will still do a ton of damage and severely limit your options. This is coupled with the DD's inability to protect itself from TB strikes, and its anemic DPS not causing any sort of attrition to the CV for making a run on them. Hell, the IJN DDs barely do any damage past 3 KM, the T9 Kagero doesn't even have AA beyond 3KM, but can be detected there. I literally can be detected and have no recourse to the plane spotting me. US DDs will be getting Defensive Fire, a step in the right direction, but it still does nothing for IJN DDs, and I'm fairly sure that Defensive Fire still won't do enough damage to kill planes in any sort of a timely manner. :iiam:

The IJN CVs get 3 TB squads at T5-10, and more and more planes with which they can detect DDs and their torpedoes with. If my torpedoes are being detected, they're almost guaranteed to miss. If I'm being detected, I'm almost guaranteed to be shot at by every ship, and since I'm a DD, and I can actually die, that is generally what happens.

On the flip side, CVs get more HP than cruisers, along with really wonky interactions with torpedo damage. Generally they have 20% damage reduction against torpedoes (there seems to be black magicks involved), but bow/stern hits can get damage reduction up to a ridiculous 70%. Its not very consistent. In practice, it takes 5-6 IJN T9 (21K base damage) torpedo hits to kill a T9+ CV. CAs of all colors typically eat 3 and then they're dead, and BBs can take 6-9 before they're sinking too. This is where I get my "BB level HP" from, as they're basically battleships in regards to taking torpedo hits. DD guns don't do a lot of straight up damage, even US DD guns need to have a fairly flat angle before they will get pens against a CVs' side armor (I got a lot of failed pens shooting CVs while I was testing stuff a while back), meaning its HE or bust. So they're not even that vulnerable to a DD up close. At least they take bonus damage from fire.

CVs are fairly dominant in high tier matches. Their effect on DDs basically nullifies any advantage a DD could have, with no recourse. There is a lot of balance needed to bring CVs in line. Arming distance is one of the biggest ones. Something needs to be done about a CV sticking a plane on a DD indefinitely, as well. A fuel mechanic would do something to alleviate it, or a DD doing increasingly higher damage to a plane the longer it stays near it. Cutting CV HP would be a great strike against their insanely high survival rates in games, along with better incentives for a CV to get closer to a fight (and therefore, closer to the DANGER ZONE). Removing plane detection on torpedoes completely would also be nice.

I'm gonna complain about CVs, because they make high tier DD play very difficult, if not masochistic. Its amazing how many games I get into at high tiers, where if there is no CV, everyone seems to be relieved. They're cancer. Literally sky cancer.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Carriers are just way to effective right now, when your answer to beating a single ship is "you have to play as a team" then you know something's broken. Because of that one rear end in a top hat with his toy I need to rely on these pubretards?

Maybe change carriers to be more like arty and drastically nerf the spotting range of planes, unrealistic but likely better for gameplay. It would eliminate the current meta of bumrushing the other team's carrier in the first minute of the game. Then carriers could busy each other more instead of having free reign against everyone else.

Nerfing plane health for t4/t5 or buffing AA at those tiers is also required.