Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

Jesus Christ this dumb son of a bitch I work for doesn't even know what version of office we're using. I finally wrest from him the login info for the 365 account and we're using business premium, not home. He's been telling me since he set it up that it's a home version. Now I look like an rear end in a top hat and he'll just say "I told you we were using a business account"

I can't, guys. I can't do this anymore. I can't even try to make this work while I look for another job. I'm going to have a stroke at 30 if this keeps up.

Happy Birthday to me :toot:

Are you sure he didn't secretly switch to business premium after you called him out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
So about a million tickets come in...

One of our clients migrated their mail over to O365 from some local ISP hosted crap. Good move. They told exactly zero of their employees that this was happening. Bad move.

Now I have a ticket from almost every person in that place saying they can't get email on their phone. In 100% of the cases I have dealt with so far this was as simple as adding the Exchange account to the phone. However because I cannot be physically on site (SLA states desk only) I have to walk each of them through it. Each call takes me about half an hour. I don't want to think about how many employees they have. (I need to call every on-site worker too. They are a construction company.)

poo poo.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Malek posted:

I'm curious about something. You mentioned earlier you had some stuff that if an audit occurred it would be a major back lash. Technically if you just let the "supervisor" do what he wants to, would the backlash theoretically be enough to kill the company? I figured with as many corners being cut that you guys are in a constant budgeting crisis. Or is this merely because "IT is a sink hole, sink as little money into it as possible" sorta deal?

No, nothing like that. But all the corner cutting is just to make sure we're in the green by the end of the budget year. It's also to accommodate for any major fuckups for equipment to make sure we've got the funds to cover repairs. Last year we got hit by lightning at our transmitter and it ended up being nearly a million dollars to get it running at full power. IT isn't even technically a department here. I'm in Engineering, which IT related issues fall under, so 99% of Engineering's budget goes towards engineering-type stuff, like satellite dishes, studio and broadcast equipment, etc... Anything IT related is only purchased or upgraded on a needed basis.

This is something I'm diligently working on to change. IT should absolutely be its own department with its own slice of the budget pie. Even if it's some negligible amount, at least I know I've got a particular amount of money to dedicate to IT, rather than just lumping all computer related costs in with incidentals and misc. expenses.

Step one here is setting up the Sales department with 365 licenses, but I'm running into a roadblock. Microsoft won't allow you to have two different subscriptions on a single account, so I'd have to make a new one for this sales purchase. Fair enough. Except the damned website won't allow me to create a new account. Every time you try, it just spits out an error saying I can't add that subscription to my account. I've tried signing out of every account, clearing my cache, and going through a proxy, but it all ends the same way.

Can someone verify that this is an intended function somehow, or is MS experiencing some sign-up/purchasing issues do to the current Portal/Sharepoint outage?

ponzicar posted:

Are you sure he didn't secretly switch to business premium after you called him out?

Actually impossible. I tried. It's just his refusal to share with me any information but what is absolutely necessary. His wording made it sound like it was a home license, and I was never allowed to log in to see for myself. We actually don't need premium, since we only need the desktop office component, but I can't even switch the license to anything but one of the Enterprise options and Small Business Essentials. Apparently, when he signed up for this, they only offered Small Business Premium and Essentials.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 25, 2015

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Presumably the legal variant of "get hosed" applies here, though?

Slippery slope... If you refuse to comply with their requests or ignore them, they file suit based on what was reported to them. From what the lawyers told us, those suits typically end in the BSA's favor and then any negotiation is out of the question.

If they manage to find you non-compliant (and they usually will find something, no matter how small), your lawyer can negotiate lower settlements. But 3x retail is their typical starting point.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
A ticket came in...

quote:

Got a call from $user in $office and she said a dog ate her
ethernet cable and now nothing is working. Hopefully someone there
can run her a cable.

The joys of supporting a vet.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Maniaman posted:

Got a call from $user in $office and she said a dog ate her

I always get tripped up by weird line breaks.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
^^^ I'm glad I wasn't the only one that saw that too.

Maniaman posted:

A ticket came in...

Kibbles and gigabits.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ticket from realtor client came in:

Bunch of emails from multiple users are missing. Because they're crazy, we don't manage their email, and each agent uses their own gmail addresses.

It appears that someone set a filter to automatically delete all incoming mail on multiple accounts.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Fool posted:

Ticket from realtor client came in:

Bunch of emails from multiple users are missing. Because they're crazy, we don't manage their email, and each agent uses their own gmail addresses.

It appears that someone set a filter to automatically delete all incoming mail on multiple accounts.

Realtors, Lawyers and Schools were the unholy trinity of email support calls I would dread.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Maniaman posted:

A ticket came in...

:

"Yes, this is support dog, may I please speak with the user needing support?

No, no, not you, the one that ate the delicious cable.

Hello, is this Mr... what? Ms Roxy?

How you doin', girl?"

*Cue music*

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Maniaman posted:

A ticket came in...

Might want to convince them to get some heavy duty-ish cable management covers so this doesn't happen again.

That or some gaff tape.

JackOfferman
Jan 31, 2015
An email came in:

And then the subsequent emails from everyone on the mailing list asking to be removed from the chain of emails. This email was sent out to the entire faculty of the campus and is the general email list.

I read about this a bunch of pages back but I thought I would never see it happen. :suicide:

On the other hand Cryptowall 3.0 came in on a computer from a remote site which luckily had no network drive access or anything else.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mailing lists in Exchange are so easy to lock down too.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I have such a raging success boner right now.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

I have such a raging success boner right now.

I thought you were purchasing 365 licenses. Looks like you have 356 to go. :rimshot:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ChubbyThePhat posted:

So about a million tickets come in...

One of our clients migrated their mail over to O365 from some local ISP hosted crap. Good move. They told exactly zero of their employees that this was happening. Bad move.

Now I have a ticket from almost every person in that place saying they can't get email on their phone. In 100% of the cases I have dealt with so far this was as simple as adding the Exchange account to the phone. However because I cannot be physically on site (SLA states desk only) I have to walk each of them through it. Each call takes me about half an hour. I don't want to think about how many employees they have. (I need to call every on-site worker too. They are a construction company.)

poo poo.

It would be cheaper to sell them on an MDM solution that could deploy that stuff for them. I assume they know their email address and password?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

Actually impossible. I tried. It's just his refusal to share with me any information but what is absolutely necessary. His wording made it sound like it was a home license, and I was never allowed to log in to see for myself. We actually don't need premium, since we only need the desktop office component, but I can't even switch the license to anything but one of the Enterprise options and Small Business Essentials. Apparently, when he signed up for this, they only offered Small Business Premium and Essentials.

If it's actually Small Business Premium then you're on an old product plan and you can't move to 'Business', which is just the desktop software. In October you will be able to, but up to that point your only option is to create a new tenant.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

It would be cheaper to sell them on an MDM solution that could deploy that stuff for them. I assume they know their email address and password?

Or even just an e-mail with screenshots. I assume these people will be near a computer at some point in their day?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

larchesdanrew posted:

Can someone verify that this is an intended function somehow, or is MS experiencing some sign-up/purchasing issues do to the current Portal/Sharepoint outage?

Cricket farts will stop the O365 billing/subscription portal from working properly. It is maddening.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

An e-mail came in
SUBJ: on my IPAD and my CRM options are gone?? can you add on CRM so I may access, thanks
Body:

Signature

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I submitted a ticket to the vendor's L1 support! And I got an emailed response back within 30 minutes!

...Ugh

:downs: "Please share you’re your suitable time to discuss this case. Need to confirm the steps to reproduce the issue."

...Why don't you just follow the detailed steps to reproduce I put in the field of your goddamned webform called "Detailed Steps On How to Reproduce the Issue"?

Maybe that would detail how to reproduce the goddamned issue?

Maybe?

...Maybe?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I submitted a ticket to the vendor's L1 support! And I got an emailed response back within 30 minutes!

...Ugh

:downs: "Please share you’re your suitable time to discuss this case. Need to confirm the steps to reproduce the issue."

...Why don't you just follow the detailed steps to reproduce I put in the field of your goddamned webform called "Detailed Steps On How to Reproduce the Issue"?

Maybe that would detail how to reproduce the goddamned issue?

Maybe?

...Maybe?

Nah, that would mean reading the whole ticket the form generates. That assumes the form even generates a ticket.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of our account handlers got an email today from an existing client letting us know that they were checking up on the services we provide and the prices we charge as some of them were out of contract. No big deal, let's see if we can renew for a new minimum term at a lower rate than 5 years ago. Before he could get this arranged he was informed that this client meant they want to see the invoices from our suppliers so they could ensure our margins weren't too large (ignore that this figure wouldn't account for overheads because it's a crazy request). I think it was all this guy could do to not write "hahahah get hosed" as a response.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Customer called at 5:01pm then complained because I wanted to faff with the car's bluetooth handsfree before helping.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Tonight I get to find out if I can install Exchange 2010 SP3 without domain credentials :toot:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Tonight I get to find out if I can install Exchange 2010 SP3 without domain credentials :toot:

Doesn't Exchange insist on modifying your AD schema?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lum posted:

Doesn't Exchange insist on modifying your AD schema?
It does!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
To be fair to Exchange, most things require a schema extension to function if they manipulate or attach to AD objects in any way. poo poo, Cisco UCS wants you to define a custom field in AD as an extra authentication step to enable Windows Authenticated logins.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm having one of those days. All summer long I've been slammed with not only installing our new clients, but also converting all ~1300 of our existing clients to EMV compatible terminals before the October 1st deadline. Naturally, since I'm the only installer at our company with 5 other people above me scheduling installs with no regard for whether or not I'll be able to realistically get them done on time for the next one, this means my workload has about tripled. I've been coming in an hour early every day this month and staying as late as needed to try and get poo poo done. This has given me some decent overtime, but frankly I'm starting to think it's not worth it at all, since my direct boss has been on my rear end for horrible wastes of time such as: taking a dump at work, eating lunch while driving/otherwise clocked in and working, and "taking too long" on my installs. That last one really irks me, because if I do a quick install, that means I didn't train the customers on how to use their new terminal, and that means they'll be calling me for over the phone training and wasting more time.

So, that said, today was particularly bad because of one of our more needy clients. A couple weeks ago, I installed a new EMV terminal at their location. I did all the training with them, made sure they had no further questions, gave them another copy of my card, which has my email, work phone and cell phone(because I'm a loving retard), and told them if they have questions, call me right away. Yesterday, they call the office and tell me that they're experiencing random errors with swiped cards, but when they key the cards manually, the transaction goes through fine. The woman I am talking with wasn't at the training when I installed the terminal. I tell her I'll look into the issue, and offer to go over anything she doesn't understand about the terminal over the phone. She declines because she's too busy at the moment. Fair enough. I tell her that I'll need her to write down basic details of the transactions that are failing. Things like last 4 of the card, the amount and time of the transaction, the type of card, because the more info we have, the easier it'll be to figure out what's going on. I also tell her that I'm completely booked solid the next 2 days, and won't be able to touch base with her again till Friday, when I'll collect her transaction info and submit a ticket to figure out what's going on. She says that's fine, ends the call, and I call the helpdesk to figure out what's going on with her terminal.

I didn't get anywhere with the helpdesk, so it appears that I am indeed stuck on the issue till Friday. This morning, I came in and my boss is asking me what's up with this client. I fill him in, and he tells me that he got a voicemail from them saying they're not happy with their terminal, that it's broken and they want it replaced. Then one of the partners comes into the office. They got a voicemail from the same client not 15 minutes after my boss did, saying that their terminal is busted and not processing any transactions at all. A few minutes later, another one of the partners comes over to me and informs me that they got a voicemail from the same client, saying that they called the 24/7 helpdesk "as per my instructions", and the person there was very unhelpful, and told them their machine was "out of date and needed to be updated".

So basically, this bitch talked to me, sounded all friendly and cheerful, then decided to take it upon herself to bumble through the 24/7 tech support(which is totally easy to talk to if you're smarter than the average cacapo), and then literally call every single manager, higher-up, and partner in the company to complain that my customer service was poo poo, she's not happy, and they want a free new terminal, despite having the newest, latest, and greatest terminal that we already comped these fuckers for. When my direct boss reached out to her to find out what the gently caress, she was too busy to talk to him, and instead sent him an email where she specifically requested a new terminal, and that I don't show up to the install.

So, I spent an extra hour at the end of the day getting the exact same terminal model ready with the exact same programming and left it on my boss' desk for him to swap out with them tomorrow. Seriously though, people like this oval office can shove their stupid loving terminal right up their rear end sideways. I bend over backwards for every loving customer we have. I answer every email, every voicemail, every inane request, and I do it in the most cheerful and positive manner I can, and for this self-important, over-entitled fuckstick to just come along and in the span of 3 hours over 2 days completely throw me under the bus like I'm worthless poo poo is beyond infuriating. The worst part is my direct boss pretty much has to take what she's saying at face value because all my communication with her has been over the phone, so I have not a whole hell of a lot to back up anything I said or cover my rear end.

I'm just so loving done with dealing with bullshit from people like that. I've got 35 issues that are piling up in my inbox, about 200 new merchant files that need to be scanned into our database, 5 cases of terminals that need to be inventoried as well as all our other poo poo inventoried to bring it up to current, and over the next 3 days I've got about a dozen installs.

Right now I'm basically like

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

You have them...

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The "I'm calling because it's broken but I'm too busy to describe how it's broken, replace the whole thing" is the most infuriating loving request on the planet.

Why wouldn't you want to spend 5 minutes to see if it could be fixed immediately so more work can be done, rather than waiting days with a system that doesn't work and have more downtime for a new install?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

"Because I'm not a tech person. That's your job."

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

We just got chewed out for not connecting a seed-drive to our server for new client import immediately.

A hard drive that arrived unannounced, did not come from the third party who is responsible for organising these deliveries and imports, and did not have any indication what it was for.

Why yes, I will just connected this suspicious drive to our server holding all our client data without knowing what it contains. What could possibly go wrong?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Hey Agrikk,

Can you give us a list of all of the hosts that are part of the infrastructure that supports AWS EC2?

We are doing a security audit and since, when we launch a new EC2 instance in a region, it can potentially land on any host in that region and we are currently using all of the available regions- we need a list of all of your hosts and your policies and procedures for Xen patching and management.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

The worst part is my direct boss pretty much has to take what she's saying at face value because all my communication with her has been over the phone, so I have not a whole hell of a lot to back up anything I said or cover my rear end.

Does your phone system not allow for recording, and pulling, calls? If not, then you guys need a new phone system. Phone systems are a huge CYA because you can pull calls and find out what really happened.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Migishu posted:

Does your phone system not allow for recording, and pulling, calls? If not, then you guys need a new phone system. Phone systems are a huge CYA because you can pull calls and find out what really happened.

The software may allow recording but if it's not turned on...

Our Cisco system allows recording but we've never recorded anything ever.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Then you need to discuss with your boss about how important this is. Going with he said/she said regarding issues is complete rear end when you can call a user out on their poo poo.

Perhaps mentioning something about accountability and the importance of retaining call information for the safety and security of employees. An angry call with someone yelling "I'm going to loving kill you" can get an employee terminated if the proof exists.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah no one gives a poo poo. If it didn't happen in email then it never happened.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Being on the way out, I've basically decided that I'm not going to undertake troubleshooting a million different permutations after everything that has been suggested and that I've tried in order to figure out why parts of the login script fail when my domain admin account is disabled.

My boss' response to just keeping my domain admin account open with an incredibly complex password until the replacement can pick up troubleshooting: "I hate that solution. We need to solve this before you leave."

Okay, enjoy the billable hours to the consultant that you didn't want to use, because neither I nor this thread and others could figure out what's up.

It feels good to be ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They're having me do too much actual work and sysadmin tasks given that I'm outta here on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Rackspace email is down. Shower me with tickets, coworkers. Please ignore the giant red, bold text on the submission page that says not to submit a ticket on the matter.

• Locked thread