Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is there any way to avoid killing Mr. Beautiful?

Relin posted:

There's no utilization of your old saves right?

Not as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Doctor Goat posted:

i went into it blind and didn't regret it although i am still very sad despite finishing it like six hours ago

there's one very awesome funny thing but it's super well hidden, and is related to my favorite tonesetter in the first game. disco ball guy ruled

You say "ruled" because you know if you go back to Widdly2Diddly later on he's committed suicide, right?

Anyways, I'm on the fence about Joyful if it isn't funny. The black humor of Painful is the stand-out element of the game to me, the thing that makes it a good, nuanced game and not just an arm-twisting dirge.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Anonymous Robot posted:

You say "ruled" because you know if you go back to Widdly2Diddly later on he's committed suicide, right?

Anyways, I'm on the fence about Joyful if it isn't funny. The black humor of Painful is the stand-out element of the game to me, the thing that makes it a good, nuanced game and not just an arm-twisting dirge.

I say rule because of the first meeting, that, and the third thing: if you try to turn his radio off it says like, "he wouldn't have wanted that" and that's so considerate

it's wacky and then it's dark as gently caress and then it's surprising

Relin posted:

There's no utilization of your old saves right?

it's a separate program entirely

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i forgot about the second joke, which wouldn't have been out of place in painful at all as a secret area you find after giving terry up to columbo, and then killing him when he shows up again as a boss. terry's "village" was pretty much perfect

i mean there's a bit of humor in things like how awesome abe lincoln is but there's very few jokes that have a specific punchline, just kind of a constant reminder that lisa has a zany yet hosed up world. joyful has a way bigger focus on making you depressed than making you laugh, then be depressed.

what i enjoy is the far greater prevalence of joy mutants in joyful. it's hard to walk 3 screens without running into one, which is great because seeing the joy mutant designs was honestly what made me buy lisa in the first place.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Amorphous Blob posted:

Johnny the Walrus is unkillable so have fun with the first two bosses and wait for a patch.

e; jump over him and dont fight

He's not very hard, tbh.

Just get Buddy a few levels so she can use Flash, try to have 10 TP going in. Have her Flash him whenever he's not flustered. Rando can kill the other guy, then focus them both on Johnny Walrus with Buddy flashing him when needed. Make sure to use Fireball and if you get a chance, DEscicive strike, because DoT effects are killer in LISA.

He DOES have a stupidly ridiculously high amount of HP. It took me longer to beat him then Satan from The Painful.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 25, 2015

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Played a little bit of The Joyful, and yeah, the tone seems a lot darker than the original. That's what I was expecting, though - you can't really go back to weird Earthbound'y comedy after THAT ending, and especially considering all the characters now in play.

This is going to be a descent into some very dark places, and that's just fine. There's some humor in here, but mostly suffering and madness.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
While I do have full HP on both my characters still, I have been fighting Johnny Walrus for 20 minutes now.

I retract my previous comment wrt him.

e: I was talking to Dingaling on Steam, and Johnny Walrus is only supposed to have 2000 HP but a glitch causes him to have way more. :shepface:

Also, small thing: if you take off the Rando mask you can kill shopkeepers who drop tons of money and EXP, but then, you know. No shop.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 25, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

re bugchat: in the pacifist village i'm able to just walk straight up the windows on the houses. then walk to the side across the open air.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Dingaling messaged me on Steam, Johnny Walrus + a few other bugs should be fixed.

Also the finger gets me every time, it's been in all the LISA games. :allears:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 25, 2015

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Anatharon posted:

Also, small thing: if you take off the Rando mask you can kill shopkeepers who drop tons of money and EXP, but then, you know. No shop.

The thing with taking off the Rando mask is crazy and it was never explained iirc, there's a huge like 9 man fight that happens if you do it in a certain room with some people playing music.

Unrelated earlygame thing: god dammit Chester I can't believe I had to kill you :( You were my friend! You've sold me so much garbage!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
God drat this is tough. Where do I go to buy stuff after Rando disappears?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

The thing with taking off the Rando mask is crazy and it was never explained iirc, there's a huge like 9 man fight that happens if you do it in a certain room with some people playing music.

Unrelated earlygame thing: god dammit Chester I can't believe I had to kill you :( You were my friend! You've sold me so much garbage!

if you walk in without the mask on, you walk into the center of the area first before you fight

if you take the mask off while you're already in the center of the area, you'll still walk to the right. straight off a cliff. where you will float in the air.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

God drat this is tough. Where do I go to buy stuff after Rando disappears?

there's a town with a bar you can shop at

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

Yeah you should kill him before finishing off Vega, Lardy and Mr. Beautiful.

If you beat him in his normal form he gives more EXP, and more mags.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

it seems like people are completing the DLC pretty quickly. i'm stuck at work and can't play until tonight, but how many more hours of content is the DLC? i think the painful RPG took like 18 hours for me and that was slowly covering every screen and collecting all the dudes and getting all the cheevos. is the DLC beatable in a regular sitting (1-2 hrs) or is it meatier than that?

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

homeless poster posted:

it seems like people are completing the DLC pretty quickly. i'm stuck at work and can't play until tonight, but how many more hours of content is the DLC? i think the painful RPG took like 18 hours for me and that was slowly covering every screen and collecting all the dudes and getting all the cheevos. is the DLC beatable in a regular sitting (1-2 hrs) or is it meatier than that?

I think I beat it in 3 hours? So like Dingaling said, it's pretty short. But for the 5$ the dlc costs, you get the joyful soundtrack aswell.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Are there any merchants other then Chester and the Bar Guy? I killed the bar guy accidentally and I'm at 200 mags and REALLY hurting for healing items

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Am i the only one who found The Joyful really, really underwhelming? The majority of the game just felt like filler, it had none of the humour from the original (except for, what, one rehashed joke?) and in general it was just boring, poorly balanced, and not really necessary.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Are there any merchants other then Chester and the Bar Guy? I killed the bar guy accidentally and I'm at 200 mags and REALLY hurting for healing items

You're hosed! Get the joy in your heart.

Freak Futanari posted:

Am i the only one who found The Joyful really, really underwhelming? The majority of the game just felt like filler, it had none of the humour from the original (except for, what, one rehashed joke?) and in general it was just boring, poorly balanced, and not really necessary.

the gameplay was pretty bad and the air horn in the boss track was completely unneeded but it ties up a bunch of stuff from the first game which was really nice, and the story was good

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What's the secret in the hallway behind the giant mutant pile, Harry? In a shack with like 12 paths?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Anatharon posted:

What's the secret in the hallway behind the giant mutant pile, Harry? In a shack with like 12 paths?

They all lead to the entrance of the room, except for one of them, i want to say the 12th one? Which leads you somewhere else.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Freak Futanari posted:

They all lead to the entrance of the room, except for one of them, i want to say the 12th one? Which leads you somewhere else.

Yeah I tried them all but they all seemed to go to the start. What's at the end of it?

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Joy is a full heal.

Doctor Goat posted:

You're hosed! Get the joy in your heart.

the gameplay was pretty bad and the air horn in the boss track was completely unneeded but it ties up a bunch of stuff from the first game which was really nice, and the story was good

I don't think it's an air horn, I think it's a trumpet!.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Anatharon posted:

I don't think it's an air horn, I think it's a trumpet!.

I don't mean like endboss stuff I mean that the same airhorn that's sampled for YV in Nuclear Throne is used in a few boss tracks.

edit: the one in 666 Kill Chop Deluxe

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Yeah I tried them all but they all seemed to go to the start. What's at the end of it?

You get the Joy mask, which enables you to enter the Joy labs.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Is the that thing missable? Like, I remember getting taken in my sleep to a place and I don't remember if I can get back there now that I've been there once.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Freak Futanari posted:

You get the Joy mask, which enables you to enter the Joy labs.

12 is a punching bag. Do you need to not have a mask on? I could swear I've tried them all now.

Doctor Goat posted:

Is the that thing missable? Like, I remember getting taken in my sleep to a place and I don't remember if I can get back there now that I've been there once.

The generator, or a different one?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Anatharon posted:

12 is a punching bag. Do you need to not have a mask on? I could swear I've tried them all now.

Keep hitting the bag (by interacting with it) until it opens a hole in the floor.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
It was the generator one, yeah.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Apparently I'm dumb, where is Sandy Gallows? I've beaten Dice Mahone and Big Lincoln, but the other caves don't seem to have main plot progress in them.

e: Oh I figured it out.

Doctor Goat posted:

It was the generator one, yeah.

You can make a few diesel firebombs, but that's it.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Its cool that joyful makes the combat challenging enough and resources scarce enough (especially if you kill the merchants) to try to force you into needing to use joy, i feel like the base game should have done that a bit more.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Is there any equipment in this? I'm having some trouble timing her attacks and just witnessed two guy paralyze Buddy and just proceed to murder her without her ever getting out of the status.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Golden Goat posted:

Is there any equipment in this? I'm having some trouble timing her attacks and just witnessed two guy paralyze Buddy and just proceed to murder her without her ever getting out of the status.

this is the type of poo poo that made me realllllly not like the combat

you don't get gang members and you don't get new equipment

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

No there is no equipment aside from what you start with, sadly.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Bleh combat is starting to turn into "Can you make these timed button prompts?". They're the only way to do decent damage.

....and then I found D.L's message.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 25, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So at the very start of the game, you can jump off the cliff as Brad. :v:

It's easier if you realize you can press it a little bit outside or a tiny bit inside the circle.

The ending: I am depressed in every possible way.:smith: can't convey it.

Never did find out what 'the other women' were, though...

Poor Rando. Poor Brad. Poor Lisa. Poor Buzzo.

.... Poor Buddy. :cry:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So ending talk for Joyful. What's the deal exactly? I chose not to join them but after the credits showed Buddy with Brad and she had the trumpet. There was also some tiny dude and... not sure if I get where they were going with that.

"Join them" is a euphemism for Buddy going completely nuts from the Joy she took and doesn't take the vaccine. In that ending, she turns into a Joy Mutant, mashes Brad's corpse up, and drags around Rando's corpse like a doll.

The 'tiny dude' is her baby. I think. With who? Who knows.

Also a quick rundown of achievements that I know of:

Rando: Normal gameplay, of course.

Fan Club: Terry's village

Yado: ending

Joy: The mask with Buzzo's last few goons.

The Beat Never Dies: In the mountain where you find the second TNT, there's a bush that leads to a cave of people worshipping at Widdly2Diddly's grave.

The Source: The Joy Lab

I'm Sorry: No idea!!!

Lisa: ending

Father: ending

No Friends: ???

Yado, Father and Lisa are the ending achievements.[/spoiler]

Incase anyone wants to know what the other post-credit dialogues are, I've seen two. Not sure what the "Yado" one is, though.

Father:Brad/Marty flashback. Marty coerces Brad into drinking and... The implication seems to be he makes Brad rape Lisa.

Lisa: Lisa/Buzzo flashback. Lisa asks Buzzo to cut off an animal's leg to prove that he loves her. Then asks him to saw her face so 'he won't want me anymore', which explains the bloody faced Lisa...

I'd bet at least one is from finishing the game with the other option, and another is possibly going Joyless? No idea about the rest.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 25, 2015

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
On the Lisa/Buzzo flashback: that makes Dusty's "they used a saw" a bit more hosed up!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I finished the Joyful after binging the entire thing today. This is without a doubt the most depressing game I've ever played. Everything is terrible forever. Rando! :qq:

Question though; Does taking joy change anything in the game. I went through the entire game without using it at all up until the fight with Yado's perfect mutant. By that point I had literally used every healing item I had other than joy so I had no choice but to take it even though I was thinking it would gently caress everything up. Then I found out about the vaccine and realized I may have just been making things way harder for myself without realizing it.

This game really is amazing though. I haven't felt so emotional about a story in awhile. I'm gonna make myself less depressed by listening to the awesome soundtrack :sax:

Anatharon posted:

Incase anyone wants to know what the other post-credit dialogues are, I've seen two. Not sure what the "Yado" one is, though.

I got this one. It explains exactly what Yado's plan was.

Yado says he wanted to start a huge war that results in every getting killed or turned into joy mutants. He thought after Buddy finished killing everyone she would turn and the Yado would wipe out any other survivors with his mutants. Buzzo tries to stop him but Yado shoots him.

VVV Where's the Joy Lab? I thought I found everything but must of missed that.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 26, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It doesn't change anything as far as we know. It wouldn't make sense anyways, as you get a vaccine.

The endings are apparently gotten by:

Yado: Default

Lisa: Go to the Joy Lab

Father: "Get the Brad achievement" which I assume means getting I'm Sorry.

The dangling plot threads that I can think of still are: The other women, the white flash, how did Buzzo and Yado team up in the first place and I guess who backed Yado.

I'm not sure if all the terrain being weird and full of deadly flaws is a plot element or a gameplay contrivance. Near the very start of The Painful Nern mentions that the day/night cycle is messed up, so who knows.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 26, 2015

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Man, the secret stuff is really poorly done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
I tried googling for this but I'm afraid of spoilers. I only have Sindy Gallows left but have no idea where to find him? What I did manage to read was that I need the joy mask which is something I don't have either.

• Locked thread