Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

All I hear online about Teen Titans Go is people complaining on Tumblr about how it isn't as deep as the Titans they grew up with, but usually whenever I see it it is something hilarious like that Sailor Moon sequence so I think those people just don't like fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Hurt posted:

All I hear online about Teen Titans Go is people complaining on Tumblr about how it isn't as deep as the Titans they grew up with, but usually whenever I see it it is something hilarious like that Sailor Moon sequence so I think those people just don't like fun.
TTG is the best version of any Titans-related anything ever.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, I only end up watching it while in Dad mode, as my own father has cable and it's my son's favorite show, but yeah while the original TT cartoon was decent for what it was, I can't help but love TTG in spite of the lolrandommonkeycheese style humor. There's also absolutely TONS of background jokes if you're paying attention. There was an episode where the titans go to the batcave and start messing around while batman's out of town, and there's a quick shot of a wall FULL of souvenirs and all are in jokes--the worst being "Joker's Crowbar".

Also, the show has taken the piss out of the people whining that they prefer the old show a few times. Including this happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQ_SuDLJvI

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I completely acknowledge that TTG is a really fun show, and most of the complainers are just mad it's not aimed at them solely. But it's amusing that people who like the show act like they have the high ground when they do the exact same thing with stuff like that damning with faint praise of the original show.

They're both good, but they're doing different things, and that's OK. You don't have to pick a side.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

But it's amusing that people who like the show act like they have the high ground.

Yeah. It is pretty funny how not liking a comedy show means that you are thus anti-fun. I love the poo poo out of TTG but I'd like to see a halfway serious Titans cartoon again, and not something dour and pompous like Young Justice. The old Titans cartoon was a sweet spot between DCAU and the sugar-high fun of Teen Titans: GO, and the comics have been almost aggressively terrible for a decade plus now. I don't blame old fans for wanting something with pathos.

That said of course, TTG is loving awesome and there are way worse things than getting a fun and irrevent comedy cartoon.

Choco1980 posted:

Also, the show has taken the piss out of the people whining that they prefer the old show a few times. Including this happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQ_SuDLJvI

This is waaaaaaaayyyyyy more of a general piss-take on half of what DC has produced in the last 15 years than a specific "gently caress off" to people who preferred the old cartoon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't Robin's line there a direct grab from the old show, though? Just with Menville hamming it up?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not like the people who dislike the show are largely indifferent or say things like "This show just isn't the same as the original, it's not for me."

They are furious that it exists and feel that it "ruins" the original series. They are legitimately being huge babies about a show for kids being different than another show for kids.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh yeah, those. Those people are a few doxes away from being Chris-chan to begin with, and anything that isn't a way to directly recreate their childhood experiences is going to upset them which is literally everything because nostalgia is a toxic brain infection.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Didn't people complain about the old series for being too "anime"? Funny how these things go around.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

mind the walrus posted:

This is waaaaaaaayyyyyy more of a general piss-take on half of what DC has produced in the last 15 years than a specific "gently caress off" to people who preferred the old cartoon.

Does this clip fit the bill better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Cv_87gd7A

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes. Yes it does. :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As of #8, Stuart Immonen is the regular artist of Star Wars. I'm not even gonna post panels, go buy the book and bask in the best looking SW comic ever.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Rhyno posted:

As of #8, Stuart Immonen is the regular artist of Star Wars. I'm not even gonna post panels, go buy the book and bask in the best looking SW comic ever.

It truly is glorious. I'm quite enjoying Darth Vader, too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

About time they got a good artist on one of these.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Hmmmm but Maleev on Lando...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Hmmmm but Maleev on Lando...

I KNOW WHAT I SAID.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Terry Dodson and Alex Maleev are good artists. :colbert:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I honestly think Cassaday was finally reinvigorated out of his creative stupor and did a drat fine job for his issues.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

I honestly think Cassaday was finally reinvigorated out of his creative stupor and did a drat fine job for his issues.

I'm a couple issues behind, but those first few issues were passable at best.

Endless Mike posted:

Terry Dodson and Alex Maleev are good artists. :colbert:

Those guys ARE good artists. I was mostly making GBS threads on Cassaday phoning it in and Larroca being himself.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I'm a couple issues behind, but those first few issues were passable at best.

Those guys ARE good artists. I was mostly making GBS threads on Cassaday phoning it in and Larroca being himself.

Oh, I know, and totally agree on those accounts.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So I want to share some work of someone who's quickly becoming one of my favorite artists currently working with DC, Denis Medri

He's currently working on Red Hood/Arsenal and before that he did the art for the Lady Spider Story on Edge of the Spider-verse

Which in turn, was based on his "Steampunk Spiderman" series of fanart

In fact, he gained certain degree of internet fame due his Rockabilly Batman and Justice League western fanarts

I actually knew of his work for these fanarts so it was a pleasant surprise to know he would be working on RH/A. His style is somewhat cartoony but this allows it to be pretty expressive and he puts a lot of detail on the backgrounds.

I dunno if is due him almost always using regular wood colors and colored pages for his stuff

But his works tends to look better only on inks, take this page from RH/A sneak peek

The inked one looks more dynamic and even gives a sense of movement while the colored one feels flat and lifeless. Tanya Horie has gotten better though, and issue 3 looks amazing.

He also like to try new things and his most recent experiment is something he called Draw me a song

quote:

"Draw Me a Song" born from my idea to put together music and drawings in a live drawing performance, accompained by a monographic dj set
In June 4th we made the first experiment at Rocca Malatestiana in Cesena (FC), with a selection of Tom Waits songs as soundtrack. Here is the result of my live performance

Aside of RH/A, he has collaborated with various publishers in Europe, Dark Horse, Zenescope and most recently IDW and Lion Forge as the artist for the graphic novel, "Andre the Giant: closer to Heaven"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Reminds me of a weightier Humberto Ramos.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

I Before E posted:

Reminds me of a weightier Humberto Ramos.

That's a very unexpected comparison. What are the similarities you see?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's a very unexpected comparison. What are the similarities you see?

The lanky figures and the faces, primarily. And I can't really pinpoint it, but there's something in the posing and the way motion is depicted that brings Ramos to mind. Or possibly Chris Bachalo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can definitely see it in the faces, not so much in the bodies, though. Nowhere near distorted enough.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

I Before E posted:

The lanky figures and the faces, primarily. And I can't really pinpoint it, but there's something in the posing and the way motion is depicted that brings Ramos to mind. Or possibly Chris Bachalo.

I think Bachalo is a more accurate comparison, Ramos' work is so stilized that is on a tier on its own.

Interestingly enough, a few days ago Medri posted a note on his blog saying that RH/A 's first issue was a rushed job(he hasn't get used to the way superhero comics are handled) and thus how he wasn't pleased with it, I haven't seen a lot of artist being so frank regarding their work.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Andrea Sorrentino is pretty great.

Old Man Logan #4

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Teenage Fansub posted:

Andrea Sorrentino is pretty great.

Old Man Logan #4

So many Venoms. What's Sorrentino doing after Secret Wars?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Die Laughing posted:

So many Venoms. What's Sorrentino doing after Secret Wars?

Old Man Logan with Lemire.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
Jill Thompson's Scary Godmother comics have fantastic art.

Unfortunately, they took that and turned it into this for TV:

I like the animation too though. :shobon:

eminkey2003 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 8, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
This isn't new to a lot of people, but I wanted to thank Howard Chaykin for wiping his rear end over another comic I was thoroughly enjoying up until then. I'm halfway through Immortal Iron Fist vol. 2 and BAM scratchy giant jaws and bright white clenched teeth everywhere I look on males and females alike. Thank god for Dan Brereton whose art duties for the other half of the annual was a delight as always and saved the issue from being a total disaster.

You shouldn't allow the reader to go from Aja to that.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 15, 2015

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Chaykin seems like a guy whose stuff really doesn't work with modern coloring styles at all.

This is because modern comic coloring styles are, for the most part, absolute poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont know, I took it down to just the linework and now the mouth is freaking me out.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

I dont know, I took it down to just the linework and now the mouth is freaking me out.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Now someone balance this out by posting some panels of American Flagg. That comic is GORGEOUS.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hell, Satellite Sam looks great. Then someone will post the goofy looking Wolverine, and round and round...

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Really, if you're doing Wolverine, why give a poo poo? It's not like it's not going to sell, and that effort can go to projects you actually own.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Howard Chaykin is a goddamn legend. The hell you should trash talk Howard Chaykin. He might not be as together as he used to be but dude is 64. He has produced some amazing goddamn comic books and he is allowed to not be perfect now that he is a senior citizen. He has earned that much. You all need to respect Howard Chaykin and his accomplishments.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I chatted with Chaykin for about 10 minutes at a MegaCon back in 2006, and the guy was fascinating. A true raconteur, obviously super-smart, and a hilarious curmudgeon in the way only altacockers can be. He drew me a beautiful head sketch of a standard Chaykin hot blonde woman.

I know his art isn't what it used to be, but I think he deserves a lifetime pass for American Flagg! alone. It's amazing how ahead of its time that book was, in terms of writing AND art. I also loved his art on The Shadow and Blackhawk back in the late '80s, and his Vertigo series American Century (which he co-wrote but didn't draw) was great pulpy fun. I absolutely despised his Twilight (sort of a twisted, dark, revisionist, mature-readers take on DC's space heroes of the '50s and '60s), but he only wrote it, and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez drew that one. But you can't win 'em all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

howard chaykin helped me troll cinema discusso and for that he will always be one of my favorites