Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Chomp8645 posted:

It's more than just "don't give them tech". It's basically "if they haven't invented warp drive, then don't interact with them in any way or even let them know you exist".

It's "don't interfere with their natural development", that's a little more loose and open to interpretation than "don't interact with them at all"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Don't interfere with their natural development unless they have some really hot space babes or coffee or something

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

While the official phrasing of the Prime Directive is something like "don't interfere with their natural development," that's just a PR cover for "all our early explorers and freighter captains couldn't stop sticking their dicks in things and we got tired of dealing with the medical expenses/hit squads/reparations."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Entropic posted:

Wasn't Dr Bashir a literal retard before his parents got him illegal genetic manipulation to make him a super-genius?

Yeah, but he was just a regular moron, he didn't actually have a medical condition causing it because the Federation allows treatment of medical conditions. His parents probably weren't all that bright either.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

My Q-Face posted:

It's "don't interfere with their natural development", that's a little more loose and open to interpretation than "don't interact with them at all"

Temporal Prime Directive is so much better: Don't tell no one poo poo. It really should be used as a get out of jail card much more often.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Orange Sunshine posted:

What the federation would actually be like:

Robots everywhere. Robots cleaning everything, maintaining everything, operating everything, doing almost all of the work. Robots maintaining other robots.

90% of the human population living permanently in holodecks or laying around all day in a permanent Risa-like vacation, most of them illiterate and stoned on whatever drugs are legal or available.

Those with any drive or ambition or desire to do anything are running society, in the military, or being scientists or artists or chefs. Whatever perks society has are offered to those willing to actually do anything. Also to those couples who actually manage to give birth, since the availablility of holodeck sex means most men lose all interest in having a long term relationship with a real woman.

On a federation starship, the crew is relatively small, as most of the work is done by robots. No person stands in the brig and guards a prisoner, or does menial "recalibrate the such and such" engineering work.

You could never actually do a star trek show like this, because it would be impractical and uninteresting to watch a show with robots everywhere doing everything.

Remember that TNG episode where a silicon based lifeform reprogramed Data and various things on the ship by blinking lights at it? Or the time the ship just decided on it's own to have a space baby and then went back to being a ship?

If there are people willing to take jobs standing around it isn't insane to let them do it. These are people who would definately never be allowed to own a spaceship of their own nor to ever talk to aliens, so 'stand here and report if anything goes wrong' is the closest to space adventure they'll ever get.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
None of the crew except the bridge officers were ever really necessary for the ships operation. They were really just there so that Riker and Trio and Data and Geordie would have people to gently caress inbetween missions.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Orange Sunshine posted:

90% of the human population living permanently in holodecks or laying around all day in a permanent Risa-like vacation, most of them illiterate and stoned on whatever drugs are legal or available.

nah then the vulcans would laugh at us

once you have aliens that can come laugh at you everyone gets off their asses and gets to work

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I bet most enlisted crew aren't in it for a career. They take a one or two year stint, then go home with a bunch of cool stories. It's a pointless dangerous thing, but lots of people pay big bucks to climb everest these days. People do dumb poo poo all the time. In a post scarcity future cool -real- experiences are hard to come by.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Oh no

Nerdcandy

In the star trek thread

Noooooo

it's just really tiresome to hear the same "oh the culture is like a totally awesome federation that meddles all the time, like the federation should" bullshit again and again

just loving make a culture thread already

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Without a cohesive mass media (Neelix's TV show was a revelation to them) how do they get enough space-southerners to sign up under delusions of fighting for glory and country, especially when there is no country to fight for and no anthems to weep patriotically over?

"Hey kid, do you want to die from plasma burns while hoisting barrels in a warehouse while being bombarded from a million miles away in order to kill your fellow humans so you can protect the trade rights and treaty agreements made to an oppressive Cardassian regime of hideous aliens that hate you on a genetic level?

You do?

Then walk past those banks of free transporters to anywhere, free universities, free restaurants, free thrilling sports from across the galaxy and walk past those bacchanalian rows upon rows of sexual delights contained in the free holodecks, and join up as an enlisted man in Starfleet!"

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The Dyson Sphere civilization was gone because they routed the power of their captured star through all their consoles and everyone's faces got blown the gently caress off

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

an actual society with ftl travel and 500 years more advanced would be so loving weird its just complete guessing at things we cant comprehend. people cant make predictions one year from now, much less 500. but heres my prediction

the truth is, as soon as we get fusion energy, defeat aging, and perfect an integrated virtual world interface to your brain then we are never leaving this gay rock and well decay in hedonism until a gamma ray burst hits or something. this happens to all societies and thats why there are no spacefaring aliens, they are all playing alien everquest or whatever the gently caress they want

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's just really tiresome to hear the same "oh the culture is like a totally awesome federation that meddles all the time, like the federation should" bullshit again and again

just loving make a culture thread already

There is a Culture thread in the book barn

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Did ST ever cover the idea of a civilisation ~ascending to a higher plane of existence~ or w/e

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

and yea if if somehow people werent full of implants and directly interfaced w/ the ship you still wouldnt ever need more than a dozen people on the ship, everything can be automatic. star trek is not to be seriously thought about as anything other than a half-thought out backdrop to stories of ethics and character

the tech stuff is basically the craziest poo poo people could come up with 50s science fiction ideas

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

shadow puppet of a posted:

Without a cohesive mass media (Neelix's TV show was a revelation to them) how do they get enough space-southerners to sign up under delusions of fighting for glory and country, especially when there is no country to fight for and no anthems to weep patriotically over?

They just go for the TFR posters instead.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Delsaber posted:

While the official phrasing of the Prime Directive is something like "don't interfere with their natural development," that's just a PR cover for "all our early explorers and freighter captains couldn't stop sticking their dicks in things and we got tired of dealing with the medical expenses/hit squads/reparations."
Yeah that's pretty much it.

They don't want glory-hounds like Kirk to go off and conquer his own planet like a starfaring Julius Caesar. (And he totally would if it wasn't for the Prime Directive.) But more importantly the Prime Directive only applies to planets that are too low on the totem pole to be worth occupying. The Federation is an empire and it is imperialistic, but it's insidious about it as Quark and Garak pointed out.

The Federation is a post-scarcity society but not totally. It's got to mine some resources. And for that, it has to "tax" member worlds to pay for the human-dominated Starfleet and its expansive social welfare state. In exchange, Starfleet protects those worlds from the depredations of other warlike powers. Maybe they even do a little "hey, nice planet here, would be a shame if something ... HAPPENED to it" protection racket.

So the Prime Directive keeps costs down and is good for internal political stability by reigning in its lunatic starship captains.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Actually a general Banks thread just in case you wanna talk about jars of fake testicles in formaldehyde and not psychopath AIs

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TEAYCHES posted:

and yea if if somehow people werent full of implants and directly interfaced w/ the ship you still wouldnt ever need more than a dozen people on the ship, everything can be automatic. star trek is not to be seriously thought about as anything other than a half-thought out backdrop to stories of ethics and character

the tech stuff is basically the craziest poo poo people could come up with 50s science fiction ideas

The writers said that when they were developing TNG they did say that realistically this should just be a few dudes sitting around on a couch telling the computer where to go and it does all of the stuff and runs the entire ship, but that gently caress it that's boring and doesn't work as a Star Trek TV show so whatever

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

TEAYCHES posted:

You are right. But also they did put serious thought into it, as they needed this set-piece to be intact as they used it to generate 65% of all dramatic peril felt aboard the Enterprise:

"Ensign X to Lt. Y. Hey come here, I need you to see this. No, don't transport over, walk across the ship. No I wont tell you anything about the yet-unknown incident/object/person I need you to see that would inform your choice of transit to my location. Just arrive and be ready to be surprised by the exposition I'll deliver after the commercial. What is a commercial you ask? Its complicated. Maybe ask Neelix on your way over. Its no rush. I've got time. Maybe. Who knows"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MikeJF posted:

No one reads that forum though

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Entropic posted:

The main characters on every Star Trek show are all actually just dorks in the holodeck basically just playing Roy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szzVlQ653as
It explains all the continuity problems perfectly.

It's The Inner Light: The Video Game.

I love Rick and Morty.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

yea if you like star trek and have not watched rick and morty please correct your loss

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fister Roboto posted:

It's The Inner Light: The Video Game.

I love Rick and Morty.

I love how in the BIips n Chitz commercial in the after-credits there's an ad for ROY 2: DAVE.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Data never had built-in Wi-Fi (or Sub-Comm), did he? Maybe he has it, but he's only Data and not a 4G Data, so everything is so super slow that it's easier for him to walk over and use a PADD.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

He had that signal Noonien sent out and turned data into a home-seeking ship-rustler from half a quadrant away.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tarkus posted:

Even as a kid I found it strange that they didn't have small one-person (or computer controlled) war ships that would fly out of the larger craft to confuse and inundate the opposing ship(s).

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Because Navy ships don't do that, and Starfleet is The Navy In Space.

This was like two pages ago and I can't believe no one has called you on it yet.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

counterfeitsaint posted:

Honestly it's kinda hard to even look at that photo without my eyes rolling out of my head. 17 characters? Really? Is this low budget Enterprise of Thrones? Unless half of them are dead by the end of this pilot/movie someone has no idea how visual media works.

Plus including poo poo like a nausicaan captain and a breen ...first officer? I guess. I don't know. I have no clue what role he serves because I don't speak dubstep. It was awkward when everyone had to repeat everything Thotgor said and make it sound natural at the end of DS9, but he had a minor role in maybe 5 episodes.

So we can poo poo on it on the internet, duh.

Thot Pron was the Breen's name. Not Thotgor. Heh, look at this noob.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Powered Descent posted:

This was like two pages ago and I can't believe no one has called you on it yet.

I already had the combat dinghy argument in my head. Its just not worth it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Star Trek is the age of sail in space

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Angela Christine posted:

Or the time the ship just decided on it's own to have a space baby and then went back to being a ship?

It didn't decide on its own. Riker finally did it. All that holodeck sex.

Riker impregnated the ship.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Universe Master posted:

It didn't decide on its own. Riker finally did it. All that holodeck sex.

Riker impregnated the ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIw690VGt70

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

TEAYCHES posted:

There's always going to be a few weird people who don't go with the crowd.

Which is why crazy luddites will inherit humanity.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

MikeJF posted:

Ground forces never make much sense when you can easily bombard poo poo from orbit.

You can't capture a territory and it's assets if you bomb it to ashes. If you want to take over a city, then it doesn't make sense to bomb it into gravel.

You can't take something over if you vaporized it.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

star trek ships even have a stun setting on their main phasers, and can target with centimeter precision from orbit

no need to ever have more than a handfull of guys in key locations on a planet as long as you've got a few ships in orbit.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Universe Master posted:

star trek ships even have a stun setting on their main phasers, and can target with centimeter precision from orbit

no need to ever have more than a handfull of guys in key locations on a planet as long as you've got a few ships in orbit.

But electronic warfare and sensor/transport scrambling and whatnot happens all the time in Star Trek. It's how the Bajorans managed to survive the Cardassians for 50 years.

You can't just hit the enemy with surgical strikes from orbit when you don't know where they are. You can't just beam down to the surface all the time either. Sometimes you have to send troop transports down to the surface and launch an old-fashioned bloody ground invasion.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kenzie posted:

But electronic warfare and sensor/transport scrambling and whatnot happens all the time in Star Trek. It's how the Bajorans managed to survive the Cardassians for 50 years.
The Bajorans survived only on the harmonious goodwill and benevolent mercy of one Gull Dukat thank you very much.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Universe Master posted:

Even then, that's one of those thing that they mentioned once or twice in 40 years and never even tried to use once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
There also isn't any "ground forces" they are just dudes in the yellow uniforms. Since the only half way competent security person you ever meet in a yellow uniform is Worf and everyone else gets bitch slapped, vapourised, or tricked into letting their prisoner escape, I'm surprised the Cardassians didn't wipe the Federation out in ever land battle.

• Locked thread