Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I kept seeing that stupid picture of the Rock wearing a.lion on his head for Hercules so I finally watched it and it was pretty dumb but the Rock and that guy from Deadwood are likable enough that I don't feel too bad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jodai posted:

I kept seeing that stupid picture of the Rock wearing a.lion on his head for Hercules so I finally watched it and it was pretty dumb but the Rock and that guy from Deadwood are likable enough that I don't feel too bad about it.

For me the stylish way they did the end credits was far more engaging than the movie itself.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I finally finished Bojack Season 2 and man that show is just incredible. It has such ridiculous highs and lows in every single episode.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ryoshi posted:

I finally finished Bojack Season 2 and man that show is just incredible. It has such ridiculous highs and lows in every single episode.

If someone were to tell me that I'd enjoy a show where a cartoon horse almost hooks up with an underage cartoon deer I would normally tell them to get hosed.

And yet this show is one of the best dramadies I've seen. What the hell.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

flosofl posted:

For me the stylish way they did the end credits was far more engaging than the movie itself.

Oddly enough that really did stand out to me too. The Rock :allears:

I am going to have to finally watch bojack horseman...soon.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Totally TWISTED posted:

Oddly enough that really did stand out to me too. The Rock :allears:

I am going to have to finally watch bojack horseman...soon.

Do it!

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I just finished binging through the Ghost Adventures Collection 2 on Netflix and it's fantastic. Just the right blend of stupid, bros and spooky. Unlike similar shows although they are all true believers, there is very little talk about Jesus, reconstructions or airtime given to hokey mediums.

Highlights include:
Using a kinnect to go ghost hunting
Getting grabbed on the butt by a ghost after trying to 'lie down' with a plaster manniquin of said 'ghost's equally dead daughter
Having a staring contest with/being terrified by a raccoon (which they initially think is an evil spirit)

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Lord of War is on Netflix. Great cult movie with Nicholas Cage playing an arms dealer with Jared Leto as his brother and Ethan Hawke as the Interpol agent pursuing him.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Lord of War is fun as gently caress. Not high on my list of "Cage crazy-machine" but a hell of a lotta fun.

syscall girl posted:

It's just like watching Louie - if if wasn't written by and starred in by Louis.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Aug 21, 2015

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

syscall girl posted:

If someone were to tell me that I'd enjoy a show where a cartoon horse almost hooks up with an underage cartoon deer I would normally tell them to get hosed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

She is clearly old enough to consent AND she is sober AND she has condoms! But seriously though that episode just had me cringing the whole time, and wondering if he has any sort of redemption arc, or its just him being a piece of poo poo eternally. When he went in and left the door open I was like no..no ... no.. PLeASE NO...

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

kcroy posted:

She is clearly old enough to consent AND she is sober AND she has condoms! But seriously though that episode just had me cringing the whole time, and wondering if he has any sort of redemption arc, or its just him being a piece of poo poo eternally. When he went in and left the door open I was like no..no ... no.. PLeASE NO...

I dunno. I feel like if you 'redeem' Bojack, the show is over. I feel like the show will have failed if we leave it thinking that he's not at least 51% terrible.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Captain Lavender posted:

I dunno. I feel like if you 'redeem' Bojack, the show is over. I feel like the show will have failed if we leave it thinking that he'severyone's not at least 51% terrible.

ftfy

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Just noticed they finally put up the 8th season of Peep Show on netflix.

If anyone hasn't seen it, you NEED it in your life. British sitcom, based around possibly the most socially awkward people ever committed to film.

Some all-time classic comedy moments, but you will watch them through your fingers. Think "British Curb Your Enthusiasm" and you're pretty close.

This is an amazingly good show, and I'd never heard of it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Mr. Pickles is up on Hulu. I've watched the first 2 episodes and it's delightful!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Turbo Kid is streaming free on Amazon Prime.

https://youtu.be/HxyH-adavb8

I managed to luck out and see it during the one week it was in one theater in Seattle.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I watched Between so you wouldn't have to. No matter how interesting you think the premise sounds, it isn't. Basically the whole plague thing happens in the first episode and wipes out the adults as an excuse for five more episodes of Teen Nick drama.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Q: I watched the first episode of Bojack and thought it was loving awful. Does it actually get better or is it ore of the same?

Also, There's loads of Sephen Chow on Netflix right now. Did you see and love Kung Fu Hustle? Of course you did! Well that poo poo is tame compared to God of Cookery.

I'm spoilering this, but I also feel the movie is so loving insane it doesn't really lose out by knowing anything about it. The movie literally ends when God comes down after the Big Cook-off is done and turns the bad guy into a dog

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A: Yes, Bojack isn't a comedy or for kids. It's a cartoon drama wrapped up in Nickelodeon visuals and it rules. The first two episodes are the worst, though.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
Bojack is a comedy; it is a very, very good comedy.

""I'm sorry officer I was just fleeing my girlfriend whom I don't respect enough to have a baby with"

The fact that it also is a harrowing journey through a failure of the soul is incidental.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Damages is awesome and extremely depressing.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I was on the fence about Bojack, too, but gave it a chance because of goons. I don't regret it. Towards the end of the first season, I was hooked and watched the rest in an evening.

I watched Patch Town and I was really confused by it. I thought it was a horror movie but it was a musical fantasy drama/comedy. I did not like some of the songs and I felt like some of the performances were uneven but it was really interesting to watch. Basically, it's about a town that grows cabbage patch dolls, sells them, and then recovers them, unfreeze them from their stasis and uses them as forced labor. It feels a little like a student film but a decent student film.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I didn't have a problem with it being dark, I had a problem with it being monumentally unfunny.

Then again the first few episodes of Game of Thrones were also pretty bad and that was another opular show I came to like that show quite a bit. I'll try it out again I guss.

Also just watched Jug Face. A really cool remise that they don't o too much with but still execute it fairly well. A pretty decent movie where the most frustrating thing is seeing how it had the potential to be great.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Don't forget Sean Young's hillbilly accent. That was frustrating too

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Calico Heart posted:

I didn't have a problem with it being dark, I had a problem with it being monumentally unfunny.

It does get very good, the first few episodes are just painfully forced character development. I never get excited over shows but I'm totally ready for season 3.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I guess I'm the minority because while I think Bojack gets better, I don't think it ever really gets good.

Like, people go on and on about how great it gets and I just don't see it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

kazil posted:

I guess I'm the minority because while I think Bojack gets better, I don't think it ever really gets good.

Like, people go on and on about how great it gets and I just don't see it.

People spend so much time coming up with theories about how silly cartoons for children are actually dark and depressing, it makes sense that they would go apeshit for a cartoon that is actually intentionally dark and depressing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It probably has a lot to do with taste being subjective, and what some people like other people don't. Either that, or people who don't like the stuff I like have a brain tumor and should be round up and put into a camp so they can concentrate on liking shows I reich.

Probably the latter.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
Bojack gets really good about halfway through the first season. It's worth sticking it through.

Time Lapse was pretty good if you like indie time travel dramas. It's no Primer but it'll scratch that itch. It's a 4-star for what it is.

The Phoenix Project? I think it was called was also pretty good and in the same vein. The ending sold it. Time Lapse was much better though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Turtlicious posted:

It probably has a lot to do with taste being subjective...

This needs to be in the OP of every PYF thread.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

If you liked Comedy Central's Review with Andy Daly, you should watch the original series from Australia. It gets really dark and upsetting.

Four stars.

e: They're both on Hulu.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I found out Masters of Horror is up on Hulu today. If you don't know what that is, it was an hour long show on Showtime (I think) where they had a bunch of horror directors have a go. Some are better than others, but if you love horror it's a fun time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

To me Bojack got hilarious by episode 5 or so. It was building up to that though and it was worth sticking with. I can't remember any animated series for adults that didn't have a couple of weak episodes at first so I can't complain. Maybe except for the amazing Rick and Morty but that's exactly what it is - an exception.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

To me Bojack got hilarious by episode 5 or so. It was building up to that though and it was worth sticking with. I can't remember any animated series for adults that didn't have a couple of weak episodes at first so I can't complain. Maybe except for the amazing Rick and Morty but that's exactly what it is - an exception.

I rewatched bojack s2 and I can't find any faults in it. If anyone is on the fence about it look up the cast list on imdb. Lots of talented people threw their hats in and did very subtle voice work. If you're like me and tend to try to identify people by voice it's distracting but amazing who's on that show.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

syscall girl posted:

I rewatched bojack s2 and I can't find any faults in it. If anyone is on the fence about it look up the cast list on imdb. Lots of talented people threw their hats in and did very subtle voice work. If you're like me and tend to try to identify people by voice it's distracting but amazing who's on that show.

I chuckled about the Character Actress Margo Martindale bit right before seeing her in another movie and trying to figure out who she was - "oh, she's that woman from Justified, and..." Then I looked up her IMDB and yep, character actress Margo Martindale.

Never forgetting her name again.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Watrick posted:

I found out Masters of Horror is up on Hulu today. If you don't know what that is, it was an hour long show on Showtime (I think) where they had a bunch of horror directors have a go. Some are better than others, but if you love horror it's a fun time.

Oh gently caress yes. Thanks!

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Monster Squad is on Netflix. It's an 80s movie where a bunch of kids fight Dracula and some other monsters. I had not seen it before and it's pretty fun.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Star Trek Chat - I just noticed its all on there.

Did Enterprise ever get good enough to watch? Anything worthwhile there?

And if you had to choose between Voyager or Deep Space 9, which would you watch?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Captain Lavender posted:

And if you had to choose between Voyager or Deep Space 9, which would you watch?

Deep Space 9 hands down.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Captain Lavender posted:

Popular consensus is that DS9 is the better of the two. Personally, I liked Voyager, but :shrug:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Captain Lavender posted:

Voyager gets poo poo on a lot but I liked it quite a bit.
That being said, DS9 is a better show especially starting with season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Another vote for Voyager. DS9 was was more soap opera than adventure, had some good villains though. Enterprise was a terrible show that should be deleted from existence.