Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

various cheeses posted:

How old are your dogs? Mine is turning grey in the face and she's only 5.
Before:

After:

That's about 2 years apart. I didn't realize how white his face had gotten!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby had her four year adoption anniversary today. Got her some dog cake and ice cream (pictured) among other things.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Hurray for Abby and gotcha day!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

It was very generous of you but giving your dog a car is not a good idea

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

skoolmunkee posted:

It was very generous of you but giving your dog a car is not a good idea

:woof::rice::woof:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

A friend of mine is a professional illustrator and featured a robotic dog in a recent commission, so he based it off of Rory!

:awesomelon: ROR-E 9000 :awesomelon:

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

My hound is five now but he's had old-dog muzzle since I got him at two. In his case it's just the white fur on his underside encroaching on a black muzzle.

My dude is 3 and he's already really getting old man face (hi thread, i have hound now :v).

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Congrats on the hound having! What is his name?

Reese will be 5 in a couple weeks. Hard to tell if he is is going white because his whole underside is white.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

PartyCrown posted:

My dude is 3 and he's already really getting old man face (hi thread, i have hound now :v).

:eyepop:
I thought that was a picture of my dog. She has a red collar too.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Fuzz Feets posted:

Congrats on the hound having! What is his name?

Reese will be 5 in a couple weeks. Hard to tell if he is is going white because his whole underside is white.

His name is Kenzie, racing name was Pat C Kenzee if you want to look up how terrible he was at it. I've had him for all of two days, and he's settling into the routine i'm working on for him really nicely. He's been an absolute dream so far, tho it helps that he's been in foster since January. I think the reason why it took him so long to be adopted is that they didn't have any photos up of him and that he's not entirely small dog safe.

various cheeses posted:

:eyepop:
I thought that was a picture of my dog. She has a red collar too.

He's not going to have it for too much longer! I ordered a really pretty martingale for him from etsy yesterday.

All dozy and waiting for me to finish up the gardening after our walk today :3

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

PartyCrown posted:

He's not going to have it for too much longer! I ordered a really pretty martingale for him from etsy yesterday.
I don't want to meddle, but it sounds like you plan on using the martingale instead of the regular collar. If that's not the case, don't mind me.
While a martingale is important while a dog is on a leash, a dog that isn't supervised probably shouldn't have a martingale on. Unlike a regular collar, if the martingale gets caught on something, it will tighten as the dog struggles to get free. This can seriously injure your dog if you aren't there, or have trouble freeing them.
Safe practice is using a regular collar for his tags, and use a martingale for his leash.
I just want safe, happy dogges so I can get lots of good pictures.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

rhoga posted:

I don't want to meddle, but it sounds like you plan on using the martingale instead of the regular collar. If that's not the case, don't mind me.
While a martingale is important while a dog is on a leash, a dog that isn't supervised probably shouldn't have a martingale on. Unlike a regular collar, if the martingale gets caught on something, it will tighten as the dog struggles to get free. This can seriously injure your dog if you aren't there, or have trouble freeing them.
Safe practice is using a regular collar for his tags, and use a martingale for his leash.
I just want safe, happy dogges so I can get lots of good pictures.

I'm home the vast majority of the time so him getting caught on something when I'm not around isn't really an issue. Even when I'm not home there's always someone around at the house.
I'll keep this in mind for future reference.
e: plus the collar he has now is a martingale :v

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I just let Gannon go collarless when we're not going outside. He prefers it and I don't have to worry about choking or listen to jingling tags all day.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Apparently dogs like blankets that have just come out of the dryer.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

I read through this entire thread and I am 98% sure my mutt is half greyhound. Has anyone used the Wisdom Panel DNA test for dogs? Are greyhound mutts allowed in here? :staredog:

They told us he was half Lab, half Golden Retriever when we got him, but several groomers and people on the street have said he looks and acts like a lot like a greyhound. I don't think he is part Lab at all anymore. I was skeptical at first that he might be part greyhound, but he has tall haunches, long legs, and a thin, long frame and face. He is 8ish years old and the past few months has developed a little bit of a white face like all the qt dogs in this thread. He loves burgers, running like a madman (he is super fast), lounging on the couch, hoarding toys, burying his face in people, cuddling/spooning, being swaddled with blankets, and just generally being a total weirdo goober. He is extremely playful, smart, and loyal. You can read his emotions really easily and it's endlessly hilarious and entertaining. He was an outdoor dog who didn't get much attention when we got him so it's been a long 2-3 year process of getting him acclimated to cars, bicycles, noises, and scary things like plastic bags, furniture, and refrigerators but he is sooo comfortable and confident now. Despite being 8 years old, he acts like a puppy all the time. He loves learning new commands and tricks, he didn't know a single command when we got him.

We are totally in love with his personality, which from what I've read is almost totally greyhound with a little bit of Golden retriever. For our next dog, we plan to adopt a greyhound from the local rescue.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Lurchers need burgers too!

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I got Remy a new stuffed squeaky toy, which he generally loves. He seemed to be very interested in it, until he actually made it squeak by jumping on it. It's one of those big lower pitched squeakers, and apparently that is the sound of a terrifying monster, and he ran away while whining and laid down.

What a wuss.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.
We went to just MEET a dog... We came home with WSR Dac Man! We've just been calling him Dac. He has hella dry skin, he's super chill, and the most food-motivated dog I've ever met. And he takes monster MONSTER shits.

My two year old loves him!

edit: the farts are so much worse than I could ever imagine, oh my GOD.

Tourette Meltdown fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 13, 2015

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

dead lettuce posted:

I read through this entire thread and I am 98% sure my mutt is half greyhound. Has anyone used the Wisdom Panel DNA test for dogs? Are greyhound mutts allowed in here? :staredog:

They told us he was half Lab, half Golden Retriever when we got him, but several groomers and people on the street have said he looks and acts like a lot like a greyhound. I don't think he is part Lab at all anymore. I was skeptical at first that he might be part greyhound, but he has tall haunches, long legs, and a thin, long frame and face. He is 8ish years old and the past few months has developed a little bit of a white face like all the qt dogs in this thread. He loves burgers, running like a madman (he is super fast), lounging on the couch, hoarding toys, burying his face in people, cuddling/spooning, being swaddled with blankets, and just generally being a total weirdo goober. He is extremely playful, smart, and loyal. You can read his emotions really easily and it's endlessly hilarious and entertaining. He was an outdoor dog who didn't get much attention when we got him so it's been a long 2-3 year process of getting him acclimated to cars, bicycles, noises, and scary things like plastic bags, furniture, and refrigerators but he is sooo comfortable and confident now. Despite being 8 years old, he acts like a puppy all the time. He loves learning new commands and tricks, he didn't know a single command when we got him.

We are totally in love with his personality, which from what I've read is almost totally greyhound with a little bit of Golden retriever. For our next dog, we plan to adopt a greyhound from the local rescue.

the only way for us to be sure is if you post pics

(tia)

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

PartyCrown posted:

the only way for us to be sure is if you post pics

(tia)

Got the DNA test in the mail today. I will promptly leave this thread if he is not part greyhound, but I am almost positive he is. Last weekend, the vet said he drooled like a greyhound, which I did not realize was a ~feature~ of the breed.

hiking:

shamefully hoarding toys and blankets:

with the buddies:

bonus cool attitude:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Greyhounds drool? Mine only gets a runny nose.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Gannon drools whenever he's got a treat or is anticipating getting one. It's not a constant stream though like you get with some dogs.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
It's the spooky skeleton dog thread

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I'm pretty sure the Colorado alcohol commission accepts "dog years" when enforcing 21+ restrictions

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Edit: I'm a dumb

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

We've arrived safely in America and Meesha is adjusting very well

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Nuclear War posted:

We've arrived safely in America and Meesha is adjusting very well

Absolutely adorable! My day is better for having seen those pics. Thanks!

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Meesha's so tiny! :3:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

:spooky: Spooky scary skeledog and evil black cat. :spooky:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

What a coincidence we have a pair of those too

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
My ex had a greyhound, and he was my first exposure to this majestic breed. After we broke up, I didn't keep any pictures of her on my phone, but I kept a picture of her dog. Man, I miss that dog.

This is Boo. :3:

Electric2k
Mar 14, 2001
Here's my two greyhounds.

My first greyhound is Bentley. He ran over 150 races when he was active and is definitely a couch potato now

My second greyhound is Prince and he's a bit ADD, he only had about 20 races before he was retired.

We adopted them about a year apart. They ran at the same track and we found out after we adopted Prince that they are half brothers, which is kind of cool.

adamvanwildest
Jun 13, 2014

Fake Ken Rockwell posted:

Here are some play pics:

And this one, only a greyhound owner will understand

And one before I knew him:

(I am not the photographer, but I have permission to use this photo)

He's gorgeous! Makes some incredibly goofy faces too, kind of makes me want to go out and adopt a greyhound.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Cross-post from the dog/puppy thread:

I've been researching dog breeds, since I want to adopt one sometime after the first of the year. I live in an apartment with a friend who's also grown up with dogs and knows what's required to responsibly own one. We both work 8-5, so I think adopting an older dog would be better than getting a puppy. I love greyhounds, and one of the options I was thinking of was adopting one from an organization like this. What sorts of things should I be researching regarding these organizations? Also, if anyone has any experience adopting a retired racer I'd love to hear what to expect or prepare for if I decide to go this route for adoption. It'd be my "first" dog, but I trained my parent's current dog when they first got him and have always been around and had dogs.

Keep posting greyhounds :3:

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Couple things:

1. While not necessary, a greyhound would appreciate a fenced yard where it can do some light running.
2. You probably need to take a greyhound on a walk too but otherwise they don't need any other exercise.
3. Greyhounds have sensitive necks so you'll need a lurcher collar or some other soft leash.
4. Greyhounds also appreciate an elevated food dish, greyhounds are susceptible to bloat and it could very well kill them if it happens.
5. Speaking of that you should find a vet experienced with greyhounds, they are much more sensitive to anesthesia than other dogs are.
6. Greyhounds are gentle but small animals may trigger their hunting instinct so be careful if you have small dogs, cats or other small pet.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Mr E posted:

Cross-post from the dog/puppy thread:

I've been researching dog breeds, since I want to adopt one sometime after the first of the year. I live in an apartment with a friend who's also grown up with dogs and knows what's required to responsibly own one. We both work 8-5, so I think adopting an older dog would be better than getting a puppy. I love greyhounds, and one of the options I was thinking of was adopting one from an organization like this. What sorts of things should I be researching regarding these organizations? Also, if anyone has any experience adopting a retired racer I'd love to hear what to expect or prepare for if I decide to go this route for adoption. It'd be my "first" dog, but I trained my parent's current dog when they first got him and have always been around and had dogs.

Keep posting greyhounds :3:

We love our old greyhounds - they were 8 and 10 years old when we adopted them 2.5 years ago. Their lifespan is usually quoted as 12 - 14 years.

Pros:
  • They sleep 18 - 22 hours per day which meshes quite well with our lifestyle.
  • They DON'T need to be run hard - just give them plenty of exercise with walking. I do try to let our younger one jog along when he feels like it, but I can only sprint for so long to keep up with his casual jaunt.
  • Very sweet, very gentle dogs. Great company around the house.
  • They sleep on enormous dog beds, and constantly ooze off the side:

• Little to no barking.
  • ROOOOOOOO!

Cons:
  • They need a daily walk (generally about a mile for ours), and the younger one would probably prefer 2 walks per day. I guess it's not really a con, since I enjoy walking with them, but if your schedule is too tight to be sure you can do this, then don't get them.
  • We've also had to hire a dog walker to come let them out mid-day every day, because their bladders are as old as they are.
  • Very poor recall. You can't EVER let them off leash outside, or you'll have to organize a search party to find them again. The local GPA chapter occasionally has an emergency mailing about someone's dog who got out and is lost. They scramble everyone to put up fliers, drive around looking for them, set up traps, etc.
  • As such, they don't make good dogs for hanging out with you outside. I'd love to be able to have a dog out in the garden with me when I'm planting in the spring, but you can't let them roam free, and you can't chain them, since they can quickly get up to very high speeds, and snap their necks when they run out of chain.
  • They tend to lick their tails raw, or have other, similar vices.
  • Their teeth kind of suck, but we do the best we can. It seems to be a problem for greyhounds in general, and our older boy had to have a couple of them extracted about 5 months ago. Brushing is recommended, though we aren't as regular with it as we should be. Giving them raw beef bones really seems to help their teeth a lot, too.
  • Prone to certain kinds of cancers.
  • They can be a little clingy and get under foot. They call them velcro dogs, because they just sort of stick to you when you move around the place. It sounds sweet and all, but can get old when you just want to go in the kitchen for some water without someone following you and actively getting in your way the whole time.
  • Some greys don't do well with stairs. This is a problem for us, because it limits our older dog to one floor of the house (which isn't very big).
  • They have very little body fat, so they don't thermoregulate well. That means they need coats in the winter, and they have to keep cool in the summer. It also means that they really do need those big, silly beds, because they have no natural padding if they sleep on the floor.

I'm not a dog expert by any means, and these are the first dogs I've had as an adult, so I can't intelligently compare them to any other breeds, but the above points are the things that have stuck out to me.

Gratuitous greyhound pic:

Edit: The rescue you linked says it's the local branch of GPA, so they're probably legit. See if they have a forum on their site for you to poke around on while you figure out what you want to do.

Edit 2: I don't see a forum on that site, but you should contact the organization to see if you can help out with volunteering and/or fostering, to get to know some of their dogs. Our local organization has meet-and-greets at local pet stores, and those are a great way to meet a couple of dogs, and start getting to know the rescue folks.

Edit 3: If you don't have access to a fenced in yard, as mikemil828 suggests, look for a local dog park to join. It's a great thing to support anyway.

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 6, 2015

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Alright, I'll keep those things in mind. It looks like they have a meet n greet at the first of next month, and I'll definitely be heading out there to talk with the organization. My schedule easily allows for two walks a day now that I'm out of school, so that won't be a problem, and I'd love the exercise anyway. I'd imagine there's some dog parks in a city the size of Oklahoma City, so I'll be researching that more thoroughly soon. Thanks for the tips!

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Remy terrified me today. I left my desk at work for a while, with a dog gate and barrier of recycling bins to keep Remy contained (he won't consider jumping the barriers unless there's thunder or something). However, the janitors came and moved the barrier, letting him escape. I returned to find him missing (happened a few times before, usually he's just investigating another dog's bed), but I couldn't find him anywhere. After about an hour of searching, asking security if they had noticed, and jangling the leash, I got a call. He had run all the way back to my apartment (~1km away), and waited at the door to the complex until a neighbor let him in and brought him to their apartment. They called the greyhound line on his tag (the normal tag fell off), which lead them to my number, and called me to get him.
Extremely relieved. Will need to send a gift card or something as thanks.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Jake working so hard to get comfortable:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Jake working so hard to get comfortable: