Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

bitcoin bastard posted:

And now we officially need cars in Fallout.

Yeah, because if there was one thing Skyrim did good, it was horses...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can always just not use the car.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

You can always just not use the car.

I probably won't since it doesn't exist.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
T. Howard has already stated that the only "car" they're willing to try incorporating into a Fallout game (at this point) is something "small enough to be carried in your inventory" so that it won't interfere with interior/exterior transitions and Gamebryo/Creation cell buffers.

So a mini-bike or a scooter probably.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

T. Howard has already stated that the only "car" they're willing to try incorporating into a Fallout game (at this point) is something "small enough to be carried in your inventory" so that it won't interfere with interior/exterior transitions and Gamebryo/Creation cell buffers.

I can't wait to kill the Legendary Mall Cop Ghoul to be able to ride on a nuclear Segway with lawnmower blades attached to it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

JackBadass posted:

Yeah, because if there was one thing Skyrim did good, it was horses...

I was talking about doing a sick jump into a behemoth.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Or skateboards

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
GTA style games are satisfying to drive in, but the other side of that is that only a fraction of the buildings have any sort of interaction. I could see something working where there are a dozen fully mapped out and populated habitable areas, interspersed with a system of highways that cut across nuclear wasteland, and a few pockets where you can get out and explore.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Who cares about how small the map feels when you have fast travel

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

JackBadass posted:

No cars. Not ever. All cars ever do is make the game world feel tiny.
"Easy" fix: Reproduce an area at a 1:1 scale. For Detroit, model everything within 100 miles, make it take ~2h at high speed to cross the entire map!

If they took satellite info, I bet they could make a decent algorithm to populate large areas automagicially. Would be drat cool to drive to the Mackinac Bridge and have a house on Mackinac Island.

Of course, at that point they could just make Fallout USA or Fallout Earth. Who cares about storyline, just random missions everywhere!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fire Storm posted:

"Easy" fix: Reproduce an area at a 1:1 scale. For Detroit, model everything within 100 miles, make it take ~2h at high speed to cross the entire map!

If they took satellite info, I bet they could make a decent algorithm to populate large areas automagicially. Would be drat cool to drive to the Mackinac Bridge and have a house on Mackinac Island.

Of course, at that point they could just make Fallout USA or Fallout Earth. Who cares about storyline, just random missions everywhere!

A randomly generated landscape where I can pick calipers and fusion batteries out of identical hallways with Radiant AI Quests. Sounds like some pure, unadulterated win.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Fire Storm posted:

Mackinac Island isn't anywhere near Detroit.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

I could see something working where there are a dozen fully mapped out and populated habitable areas, interspersed with a system of highways that cut across nuclear wasteland, and a few pockets where you can get out and explore.

This style of presentation has always had a lot of appeal for me in my perfect imagined "wasteland" game.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

computer parts posted:

Who cares about how small the map feels when you have fast travel
In order to make the game feel more realistic, you can no longer fast travel until you gather enough scrap metal to repair the Big Dig.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

big mean giraffe posted:

Mackinac Island isn't anywhere near Detroit.
I was thinking DLC and/or expand the map to EVERYWHERE.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

FronzelNeekburm posted:

In order to make the game feel more realistic, you can no longer fast travel until you gather enough scrap metal to repair the Big Dig.

Walking anywhere on foot is a fruitless effort as most of the wilderness doesn't give enough scrap to upgrade your Super Sentai Mobile Wasteland Fortress, Big Dig. However, after fulfilling certain main and side-quests, you can unlock coordinates to resource heavy areas or towns that may trigger Kaiju battles to engage in as your walking vault gets from point A to B.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Crabtree posted:

Walking anywhere on foot is a fruitless effort as most of the wilderness doesn't give enough scrap to upgrade your Super Sentai Mobile Wasteland Fortress, Big Dig. However, after fulfilling certain main and side-quests, you can unlock coordinates to resource heavy areas or towns that may trigger Kaiju battles to engage in as your walking vault gets from point A to B.

Ok, I'm sold. When's the kickstarter?

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Found THIS off a Bethesda forum thread, a database of weapon mods. Seems pretty comprehensive from what I've seen so far. Looks to be a fun read, I'm looking forward to creating some crazy weapons.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

8one6 posted:

Ok, I'm sold. When's the kickstarter?

As soon as I can get the Todd Howard skin to work on the Robot.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Rabidredneck posted:

Found THIS off a Bethesda forum thread, a database of weapon mods. Seems pretty comprehensive from what I've seen so far. Looks to be a fun read, I'm looking forward to creating some crazy weapons.

Have we seen any unarmed weapons/combat yet? I noticed endurance didn't list unarmed damage anymore, so I'm curious if it got folded into melee or if they actually cut it. Though I think some gun/EW mods looked like they effected melee damage, and we did see a few pistol whips in the footage so who knows what's going on.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

graynull posted:

Have we seen any unarmed weapons/combat yet? I noticed endurance didn't list unarmed damage anymore, so I'm curious if it got folded into melee or if they actually cut it. Though I think some gun/EW mods looked like they effected melee damage, and we did see a few pistol whips in the footage so who knows what's going on.

Yeah in the latest videos bethesda released they show the player knocking out some schmuck with a bat and it looks pretty satisfying.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

For any of the UK goons, I'm a loving moron and used my old address for the Pip Boy Edition from GAME, trying to get them to change it but it's going to take a few days. For anybody else that ordered it did they send you anything physically in the mail?

Nothing yet and I have a day one preorder.

Although its a mystery if you'll actually get the "vault club" swag unless you join their Facebook thing it sends you, which I have absolutely zero interest in doing no matter how many bobbleheads they want to pitch me, so maybe I'm just missing out too.

Their customer services gave me 3 different answers when I questioned the Facebook requirement so I just stopped caring.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Fallout Shelter's great to have in the background when browsing the forums. The only thing that sucks is it's real hit or mess stumbling upon weapons it seems. On my one save I managed to send my two best scroungers (both have passable END and LCK along with peeshooters and some helpful clothes) and after a two hours each they managed to bring back a BB gun and a rusty revolver, worse stuff than I sent them out with. Meanwhile raiders were seriously loving my poo poo up while my two best armed people were out.

I decided to start another save to try out some strategies (they really need to make an option to turn off the tutorial or have freer beginning vault). I redeem the first three lunchboxes you get from random objectives and I get some badass new character, a souped up Alien Blaster and a high quality railway rifle, two revolvers and a few pairs of decent clothes.

e: there isn't a thread for FS, is there?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm glad the Pipe Rifle is back.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Nothing yet and I have a day one preorder.

Although its a mystery if you'll actually get the "vault club" swag unless you join their Facebook thing it sends you, which I have absolutely zero interest in doing no matter how many bobbleheads they want to pitch me, so maybe I'm just missing out too.

Their customer services gave me 3 different answers when I questioned the Facebook requirement so I just stopped caring.

Wait what's this about? I preordered the pip boy edition. Am I missing out on something? (I ordered it on amazon Canada)

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 26, 2015

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So, uh, in that Fallout Shelter game, for God's sake don't expand your population too rapidly, everyone will get irradiated and half your vault will get hosed to death by deathclaws, the rest will ultimately succumb to lack of water and food. I know it's meant to be a time waster, but I painted myself into a corner and just wiped out a week of progress.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

graynull posted:

You can really briefly see an unarmed weapon at around 1:25 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNfqQ7iJDg0

On to some ACTUAL news! Maybe this thread can stop eating itself for a few minutes.

The Bethesda Twitter posted some images from the upcoming artbook.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
That top picture, Rivet City except the boat actually works?

Those synths, we saw glimpses of them in the "Atom Bomb Baby" combat video, those are gonna be creepy to fight. At least till you put them down and recycle them for crafting parts.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Synth companion on the cards?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Synth fights will probably be really freaky if they were the focus of being able to blow off pieces of armor. To just watch a robot go from sort of humanoid to full cyber-frame monstrosity could eclipse how unnerving it was the first time fighting the Gary clones.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rabidredneck posted:

That top picture, Rivet City except the boat actually works?

Those synths, we saw glimpses of them in the "Atom Bomb Baby" combat video, those are gonna be creepy to fight. At least till you put them down and recycle them for crafting parts.

Apparently it's the Falloutverse Longfellow Bridge.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Crabtree posted:

Synth fights will probably be really freaky if they were the focus of being able to blow off pieces of armor. To just watch a robot go from sort of humanoid to full cyber-frame monstrosity could eclipse how unnerving it was the first time fighting the Gary clones.

I love this. Its gonna be like the end of Terminator. Hopefully you can blow off their legs and they'll just keep crawling at you.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Hihohe posted:

I love this. Its gonna be like the end of Terminator. Hopefully you can blow off their legs and they'll just keep crawling at you.

If ghouls can do this, it'd be stupid for the robots not to do the same. Only problem is they haven't shown us how intricate abandoned/Institute factories are so we can make them crawl into a functional industrial crusher to chase after us. I'd even settle for being able to see their innards try to still work while we blast holes into them or for the rogue synthetics try and hold onto to the fact that they're human as battle chatter.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Much higher res.

Also someone was asking about a Synth companion? Might be happening. Compare the synth details with this detail from the older trailers.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Will there be a synth Fisto 2.0?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

MariusLecter posted:

Will there be a synth Fisto 2.0?

Yes, voiced by Jude Law.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

graynull posted:

Yes, voiced by Jude Law.

I don't see anything for Jude Law but I do see something for David Schwimmer voicing something called "FI3T".

EDIT: Sorry, FI3T0, not FI3T.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 26, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Crabtree posted:

Binary Domain was worthy playing just for how messy fights got because of this system. It's weirdly satisfying to shoot robots like that compared to humans.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't see anything for Jude Law but I do see something for David Schwimmer voicing something called "FI3T".

EDIT: Sorry, FI3T0, not FI3T.
Anything for James Woods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Bruce Willis is confirmed as the voice of the dog.

• Locked thread