Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Maybe it's just my own preconceptions but it sounds unbearably smug to me. "Unlike most altruism, this is actually effective."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
There's some really dumb stuff associated with EA though, like the idea that getting rich and donating to charity is more virtuous than doing a job that has a direct positive impact, which is mighty convenient for a bunch of Silicon Valley types seeking absolution that doesn't involve actual inconvenience.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Money doesn't stink. As despicable as some of the people trying to clear their conscience through charity are, the money they give has a tangible effect. I wish more rich assholes gave money to charities in critical need of it.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Curvature of Earth posted:

MIRI claimed it "saves 8 lives per dollar" in a blatant attempt to appeal to this sensibility. It didn't work.

Best aftermath bit: Lukeprog attempting to play this down and claimed it was taken out of context ... but that precise claim was one of the slides for the talk, which Salomon gave several times.

As a charity reviewer, GiveWell largely don't suck, which is nice.

Pavlov posted:

Yeah I get that. I'm saying the name 'effective altruism' doesn't necessarily make people think that when they hear it. Looks like 'utilitarian altruism' would be closer to the mark.

It's the last movement the world will ever need, after all.

Also, you should give your money to MIRI, as actual observed EAs in SF appear to in practice, even though EAs elsewhere have correctly realised that Yudkowsky and all his works is an embarrassment to be swept under the carpet.

divabot fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 15, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Legacyspy posted:

The EA community gives far more money to help people living in poverty than to miri.
Still a worse investment than any charity that gives nothing to MIRI.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

anilEhilated posted:

Still a worse investment than any charity that gives nothing to MIRI.

What's a worse investment?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

divabot posted:

Best aftermath bit: Lukeprog attempting to play this down and claimed it was taken out of context ... but that precise claim was one of the slides for the talk, which Salomon gave several times.

It was in an official presentation? I thought it was just a one-off internet comment that its supporters started parroting.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

It was in an official presentation? I thought it was just a one-off internet comment that its supporters started parroting.

Video and transcript; it's 12:00 on, and I can't find a copy of the slide deck but you can see it on the screen in the video. It wasn't a passing aside or out of context, it was a sufficiently important point to put in the slides, and was said as if this was a big selling point for the SIAI's whole deal.

Anna Salamon posted:

12:00
So according to that, value from current total AI risks research, probability that it sways times impact if it does: 500 million lives, times that future multiplier, which is sort of a crazy amount.
12:14
And impact per full time person, we’re dividing that 500 million lives times future multiplier by 300. 1.6 million lives times future multiplier. Also a crazy amount to be swayed by like one additional person getting full-time involved with this.
12:31
You can divide it up, per half day of time, something like 800 lives. Per $100 of funding, also something like 800 lives.

Though she now considers the number not as robust as she considered it then. So, er, good?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

sarehu posted:

What's a worse investment?
Just pointing out that giving money to a charity that gives a share of it to MIRI is a stupid idea when there's lots of uncontaminated ones around.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

anilEhilated posted:

Just pointing out that giving money to a charity that gives a share of it to MIRI is a stupid idea when there's lots of uncontaminated ones around.
I think he's saying more "this population of people include some who give to MIRI but far more who give to malaria" rather than referring to a single charitable trust or something.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The average marriage lasts for 100,000 hours. If used well, you can use this time to improve the lives of hundreds of people.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Beep boop robot marriage posted:

the best course of action is to marry someone who is on the margin of being an EA, but is unlikely to stick with it without your influence. If you’re on the less committed end of the EA spectrum (do you sneak dairy products when no one’s looking? fantasize about owning a yacht?), try marrying someone particularly moral. Ideally just thinking about their reaction should be enough to stop you doing anything wrong.

This feels very cult-like. EA wants you to spend all your money on EA-approved things and to control your social life, including who you marry. Bad thoughts must be curtailed, by yourself or others. The only thing that's missing is severe consequences imposed on anyone who tries to leave or intrude upon the EA-approved life (which, to be fair, is a huge part of what makes a cult a cult).

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

This was a joke.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

bartlebyshop posted:

This was a joke.

Poe's Law is in effect here. The author claims to like professional shitbag Heartiste, and I can't tell if they're joking.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

This feels very cult-like. EA wants you to spend all your money on EA-approved things and to control your social life, including who you marry. Bad thoughts must be curtailed, by yourself or others. The only thing that's missing is severe consequences imposed on anyone who tries to leave or intrude upon the EA-approved life (which, to be fair, is a huge part of what makes a cult a cult).

It was in fact a parody, though that's actually an EA tumblr.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

divabot posted:

It was in fact a parody, though that's actually an EA tumblr.

Thank gently caress for that.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

anilEhilated posted:

I don't know what charity you're talking about -- you were responding to a post about the EA community, not a specific charity.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

sarehu posted:

I don't know what charity you're talking about -- you were responding to a post about the EA community, not a specific charity.
In which case I misunderstood. My apologies.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 14: The Unknown and the Unknowable
Part Seven

quote:

On the plus side, the Comed-Tea, which had once seemed all-powerful and all-unbelievable, had turned out to have a much simpler explanation. Which he'd missed merely because the truth was completely outside his hypothesis space or anything that his brain had evolved to comprehend. But now he actually had figured it, probably. Which was sort of encouraging. Sort of.

Harry glanced down at his watch. It was nearly 11AM, he'd gotten to sleep last night at 1AM, so in the natural state of affairs he'd go to sleep tonight at 3AM. So to go to sleep at 10PM and wake up at 7AM, he should go back five hours total. Which meant that if he wanted to get back to his dorm at around 6AM, before anyone was awake, he'd better hurry up and...

Even in retrospect Harry didn't understand how he'd pulled off half the stuff involved in the Prank. Where had the pie come from?

Harry was starting to seriously fear time travel.

On the other hand, he had to admit that it had been an irreplaceable opportunity. A prank you could only pull on yourself once in a lifetime, within six hours of when you first found out about Time-Turners.
In fact that was even more puzzling, when Harry thought about it. Time had presented him with the finished Prank as a fait accompli, and yet it was, quite clearly, his own handiwork. Concept and execution and writing style. Every last part, even the ones he still didn't understand.

Well, time was a-wasting and there were at most thirty hours in a day. Harry did know some of what he had to do, and he might figure out the rest, like the pie, while he was working. There was no point putting it off. He couldn't exactly accomplish anything stuck here in the future.

If Harry is interested in scientific experimentation, shouldn’t he now not play the prank on himself, so that he can see what happens if the self-fulfilling prophecy is not in fact fulfilled?

quote:

Five hours earlier, Harry was sneaking into his dorm with his robes pulled up over his head as a thin sort of disguise, just in case someone was already up and about and saw him at the same time as Harry lying in his bed. He didn't want to have to explain to anyone about his little medical problem with Spontaneous Duplication.

Fortunately it seemed that everyone was still asleep.

And there also seemed to be a box, wrapped in red and green paper with a bright golden ribbon, lying next to his bed. The perfect, stereotypical image of a Christmas present, although it wasn't Christmas. Harry crept in as softly as he could manage, just in case someone had their Quieter turned down low.

There was an envelope attached to the box, closed by plain clear wax without a seal impressed.

Harry carefully pried the envelope open, and took out the letter inside.

The letter said:

This is the Cloak of Invisibility of Ignotus Peverell, passed down through his descendants the Potters. Unlike lesser cloaks and spells it has the power to keep you hidden, not merely invisible. Your father lent it to me to study shortly before he died, and I confess that I have received much good use of it over the years.

In the future I shall have to get along with Disillusionment, I fear. It is time the Cloak was returned to you, its heir. I had thought to make this a Christmas present, but it wished to come back to your hand before then. It seems to expect you to have need of it. Use it well.

No doubt you are already thinking of all manner of wonderful pranks, as your father committed in his day. If his full misdeeds were known, every woman in Gryffindor would gather to desecrate his grave. I shall not try to stop history from repeating, but be MOST careful not to reveal yourself. If Dumbledore saw a chance to possess one of the Deathly Hallows, he would never let it escape his grasp until the day he died.

A Very Merry Christmas to you.

The note was unsigned.

The words ”If Dumbledore saw a chance to possess one of the Deathly Hallows, he would never let it escape his grasp until the day he died. implies that it was someone other than Dumbledore who gave the Cloak to Harry (another departure from the canon series). Did time-travelling Eliezarry from the future pass the Cloak to present-time Harry too?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

JosephWongKS posted:

Part Seven

If Harry is interested in scientific experimentation, shouldn’t he now not play the prank on himself, so that he can see what happens if the self-fulfilling prophecy is not in fact fulfilled?

The words ”If Dumbledore saw a chance to possess one of the Deathly Hallows, he would never let it escape his grasp until the day he died. implies that it was someone other than Dumbledore who gave the Cloak to Harry (another departure from the canon series). Did time-travelling Eliezarry from the future pass the Cloak to present-time Harry too?

"Ha ha your dad was a rapist, or at least a creepy voyeur. Good luck!"

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

JosephWongKS posted:

Good question. Maybe it was supposed to be from Quirrel, having taken it from James before he killed him?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

There's some really dumb stuff associated with EA though, like the idea that getting rich and donating to charity is more virtuous than doing a job that has a direct positive impact, which is mighty convenient for a bunch of Silicon Valley types seeking absolution that doesn't involve actual inconvenience.

Art is a selfish waste of time. Therefore, HPMOR is not art. Phew.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey JWKS, if you ever get tired of this, the Heroes Rise author has a new CYOA game out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/396230/

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737907

Someone is shirking their obligation of reading HPMOR. 500,000 words to go!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

i81icu812 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737907
Someone is shirking their obligation of reading HPMOR. 500,000 words to go!

The rest of us could take turns or something if JosephWongKS has inadvertently come to his senses.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Eight

quote:

"Hold on," Harry said, pulling up short as the other boys were about to leave the Ravenclaw dorm. "Sorry, there's something else I've got to do with my trunk. I'll be along to breakfast in a couple of minutes."

Terry Boot scowled at Harry. "You'd better not be planning to go through any of our things."

Harry held up one hand. "I swear that I intend to do nothing of the sort to any of your things, that I only intend to access objects that I myself own, that I have no pranking or otherwise questionable intentions towards any of you, and that I do not anticipate those intentions changing before I get to breakfast in the Great Hall."

Isn’t Harry trying to be nice and get along with his peers now? Why would he talk like that?

quote:

Terry frowned. "Wait, is that -"

"Don't worry," said Penelope Clearwater, who was there to guide them. "There were no loopholes. Well-worded, Potter, you should be a lawyer."

Harry would make a terrible lawyer. Excessive verbiage arouses suspicion in the counterparty and costs everyone time in the search for loopholes arising from such suspicion. Good lawyers only use as many words as necessary – in this case, a “I’m not planning to go through your things” would have sufficed.

quote:

Harry Potter blinked at that. Ah, yes, Ravenclaw prefect. "Thank you," he said. "I think."

"When you try to find the Great Hall, you will get lost." Penelope stated this in the tones of a flat, unarguable fact. "As soon as you do, ask a portrait how to get to the first floor. Ask another portrait the instant you suspect you might be lost again. Especially if it seems like you're going up higher and higher. If you are higher than the whole castle ought to be, stop and wait for search parties. Otherwise we shall see you again four months later and you will be five months older and dressed in a loincloth and covered in snow and that's if you stay inside the castle."

"Understood," said Harry, swallowing hard. "Um, shouldn't you tell students all that sort of stuff right away?"

Penelope sighed. "What, all of it? That would take weeks. You'll pick it up as you go along." She turned to go, followed by the other students. "If I don't see you at breakfast in thirty minutes, Potter, I'll start the search."

Was there a Penelope Clearwater in the canon series, or is this an Original Character of Eliezer?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

JosephWongKS posted:

Was there a Penelope Clearwater in the canon series, or is this an Original Character of Eliezer?

She was mentioned as Percy's girlfriend, but I don't believe she ever got any screen time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
She's one of the basilisk victims in Chamber of Secrets in the books too, and gets mentioned now and again. There are a shitload of minor Hogwarts characters, with varying degrees of characterisation and backstory.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

She's one of the basilisk victims in Chamber of Secrets in the books too, and gets mentioned now and again. There are a shitload of minor Hogwarts characters, with varying degrees of characterisation and backstory.

And then on the other hand there are the two Gryffindor girls in Harry's year we never learn the names of.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Nine

quote:

Once everyone was gone, Harry attached the note to his bed - he'd already written it and all the other notes, working in his cavern level before everyone else woke up. Then he carefully reached inside the Quietus field and pulled the Cloak of Invisibility off Harry-1's still-sleeping form.

And just for the sake of mischief, Harry put the Cloak into Harry-1's pouch, knowing it would thereby already be in his own.

"I can see that the message is passed on to Cornelion Flubberwalt," said the painting of a man with aristocratic airs and, in fact, a perfectly normal nose. "But might I ask where it came from originally? "
Harry shrugged with artful helplessness. "I was told that it was spoken by a hollow voice that belled forth from a gap within the air itself, a gap that opened upon a fiery abyss."

"Hey!" Hermione said in tones of indignation from her place on the other side of the breakfast table. "That's everyone's dessert! You can't just take one whole pie and put it in your pouch!"

"I'm not taking one pie, I'm taking two. Sorry everyone, gotta run now!" Harry ignored the cries of outrage and left the Great Hall. He needed to arrive at Herbology class a little early.

Professor Sprout eyed him sharply. "And how do you know what the Slytherins are planning?"

"I can't name my source," Harry said. "In fact I have to ask you to pretend that this conversation never happened. Just act like you happened across them naturally while you were on an errand, or something. I'll run on ahead as soon as Herbology gets out. I think I can distract the Slytherins until you get there. I'm not easy to scare or bully, and I don't think they'll dare to seriously hurt the Boy-Who-Lived. Though... I'm not asking you to run in the hallways, but I would appreciate it if you didn't dawdle along the way."

Professor Sprout looked at him for a long moment, then her expression softened. "Please be careful with yourself, Harry Potter. And... thank you."

"Just be sure not to be late," Harry said. "And remember, when you get there, you weren't expecting to see me and this conversation never happened."

It was horrible, watching himself yank Neville out of the circle of Slytherins. Neville had been right, he'd used too much force, way too much force.

"Hello," Harry Potter said coldly. "I'm the Boy-Who-Lived."

Eight first-year boys, mostly the same height. One of them had a scar on his forehead and he wasn't acting like the others.

Oh wad some power the giftie gie us
To see oursel's as others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
And foolish notion –

Professor McGonagall was right. The Sorting Hat was right. It was clear once you saw it from the outside.
There was something wrong with Harry Potter.

I did enjoy the montage where he set up the puzzle for himself, though the question as to why he did it is still unanswered.

I also liked Eliezarry’s acknowledgement that there was something wrong with himself. Perhaps this will lead to some actual personal development?

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

He did it because it was done to him thus he had to do it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay, credit where it's due. That was pretty good. That last sentence works really well too.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

JosephWongKS posted:

Perhaps this will lead to some actual personal development?

Hahahahahaha

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Experimenting with time travel should PROBABLY be a bit more scientific than "I'm supposed to do things I know I'm going to do huh? Time to Not Do Those Things." of course he doesn't actually do a proper experiment with a control or anything he just see's if he can exploit it

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

reignonyourparade posted:

Experimenting with time travel should PROBABLY be a bit more scientific than "I'm supposed to do things I know I'm going to do huh? Time to Not Do Those Things." of course he doesn't actually do a proper experiment with a control or anything he just see's if he can exploit it

He does try some actual experiments with it soon enough.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 15: Conscientiousness

quote:

Love as thou Rowling.

Today's historical tidbit: The ancient Hebrews considered the boundary of a day to be sunset rather than dawn, so they said "evening and morning" not "morning and evening". (And as many reviewers noted, modern Jewish halacha asserts the same.)

Wikipedia says the same thing:

The Jewish day is of no fixed length. The Jewish day is modeled on the reference to "...there was evening and there was morning..."[3] in the Creation account in the first chapter of Genesis. Based on the classic Rabbinic interpretation of this text, a day in the Rabbinic Hebrew calendar runs from sunset (start of "the evening") to the next sunset.

quote:

"I'm sure I'll find the time somewhere."

"Frigideiro! "

Harry dipped a finger in the glass of water on his desk. It should have been cool. But lukewarm it was, and lukewarm it had stayed. Again.

Harry was feeling very, very cheated.

There were hundreds of fantasy novels scattered around the Verres household. Harry had read quite a few. And it was starting to look like he had a mysterious dark side. So after the glass of water had refused to cooperate the first few times, Harry had glanced around the Charms classroom to make sure no one was watching, and then taken a deep breath, concentrated, and made himself angry. Thought about the Slytherins bullying Neville, and the game where someone knocked down your books every time you tried to pick them up again.

This seems to be another instance where Eliezer is writing from personal experience. Has he mentioned in his blog or elsewhere about being bullied during his childhood?

quote:

Thought about what Draco Malfoy had said about the ten-year-old Lovegood girl and how the Wizengamot really operated...

And the fury had entered his blood, he had held out his wand in a hand that trembled with hate and said in cold tones "Frigideiro! " and absolutely nothing had happened.

Harry had been gypped. He wanted to write someone and demand a refund on his dark side which clearly ought to have irresistible magical power but had turned out to be defective.

Plus points to the story for not making Eliezarry an instant genius and success at wizarding.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

This seems to be another instance where Eliezer is writing from personal experience. Has he mentioned in his blog or elsewhere about being bullied during his childhood?

Yeah. When he skipped a grade people started to give him a ton of poo poo.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Mr Yudkowsky is most upset at our esteemed colleague su3su2u1:

/u/EliezerYudkowsky posted:

I requested any real examples anyone could find, in the thread alexander referenced, and got one actual science error contributed (that I need to fix at some point) that of course wasn't actually from su3su2su1 but just from an interested bystander.

Why would you expect someone building an online reputation on sneering to go the trouble of scanning a thoroughly scanned work until they found a new science error that had passed me and all previous readers when they could just force a few strained interpretations into fake errors? It's not like his primary readership cares so long as somebody gets a new good hit in on that Big Yud guy they've all come together to hate.

I've made a number of science errors over the course of my life, and had them pointed out to me - but I don't think ever even once by the people of the sneer.

Finding a real error takes work, careful reading, double checking to make sure this is really actually an error and that the author didn't already correct it in a later edition. I'm proud to this day that I found an error of a higher level than typo in the second edition of Judea Pearl's Causality (which Pearl fixed in the next edition) because it demonstrates that there's one section there that I read through and visualized more carefully than anyone else with a propensity to send in errors. And you'd better believe I triple checked that apparent problem before emailing Pearl, and even then it turned out my suggested solution still wasn't right.

/r/HPMOR as a whole has a respectable power to find errors sometime, though minor continuity blips are far more common than science errors. But the thought that su3su2su1 could just walk through finding errors in every chapter is laughable, and since he's clearly making up most of it, you shouldn't be surprised that he's making up all of it. If somebody started posting a list of science errors by Scott Aaronson or Scott Alexander purporting to find errors in every post, I wouldn't expect to find even a single real one mixed in.

The thinking there takes some untangling: he hasn't actually read su3su2u1's extensive critique of HPMOR, nor looked at the list of claims AlexanderWales collected for him. He is doing exemplary Bayesian reasoning based on deliberate ignorance of what he's reasoning about. Note how even Christopher Hallquist is heartily sick of his poo poo.

su3su2u1 outlines the thought process:

su3su2u1 posted:

He hasn’t read any of my work but he decided

1. It’s super hard to find science errors, so his prior that anything I found is low. So his prior for “is making this up” is high.

2. Every mistake or criticism mentioned then “supports” the fact that I’m making it up.

So as usual, it goes:

“lies lies lies lies lying liar who LIES LIES LIES”
“cites plox, here’s mine where’s yours”
(tumbleweeds)
“lies lies lies lies lying liar who LIES LIES LIES”

Edit: Jesus, this is just embarrassing. I'm cringing here.

divabot fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 28, 2015

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

i81icu812 posted:

CHAPTER 1
No science

CHAPTER 2
Conservation of Energy - Bad Science

quote:

You turned into a cat! A SMALL cat! You violated Conservation of Energy!
Not necessarily violating conservation of energy. Could be a very heavy cat. Or the mass energy turned into some other non-mass energy that you can't see. Etc.

The Hamiltonian and energy conservation - Bad Science

quote:

You violated Conservation of Energy! That's not just an arbitrary rule, it's implied by the form of the quantum Hamiltonian!
Non energy conserving Hamiltonians can be computed just fine.

Unitary and the Hamiltonian - Bad Science

quote:

Rejecting [the quantum Hamiltonian] destroys unitarity
The Hamiltonian can be rejected while unitarity is maintained.

Faster than light signaling - Bad Science

quote:

and then [rejecting unitarity] you get FTL signalling
Faster than light signaling has nothing to do with this. Su3su2u1 has a good discussion on Chapter 2 overall:http://su3su2u1.tumblr.com/post/95953789878/chapter-2-in-which-i-remember-why-i-hated-this

CHAPTER 3
Bystander effect - Bad Science

quote:

The Dark Lord had raged upon wizarding Britain like a wilding wolf, tearing and rending at the fabric of their everyday lives. Other countries had wrung their hands but hesitated to intervene, whether out of apathetic selfishness or simple fear, for whichever was first among them to oppose the Dark Lord, their peace would be the next target of his terror.

(The bystander effect, thought Harry, thinking of Latane and Darley's experiment which had shown that you were more likely to get help if you had an epileptic fit in front of one person than in front of three. Diffusion of responsibility, everyone hoping that someone else would go first.)
Yes and no. Defined and example of original study noted correctly. Application of bystander effect to nation states rather than individuals is not good science.

CHAPTER 4
Seigniorage

quote:

And can anyone coin them, or are they issued by a monopoly that thereby collects seigniorage?
Yes. Defined.

Arbitrage and the Efficient Market Hypothesis

quote:

So not only is the wizarding economy almost completely decoupled from the Muggle economy, no one here has ever heard of arbitrage. The larger Muggle economy had a fluctuating trading range of gold to silver, so every time the Muggle gold-to-silver ratio got more than 5% away from the weight of seventeen Sickles to one Galleon, either gold or silver should have drained from the wizarding economy until it became impossible to maintain the exchange rate. Bring in a ton of silver, change to Sickles (and pay 5%), change the Sickles for Galleons, take the gold to the Muggle world, exchange it for more silver than you started with, and repeat.
Yes. Arbitrage is defined with example relative to the Efficient Market Hypothesis.

Fermi calculation

quote:

"It's a mathematical thing. Named after Enrico Fermi. A way of getting rough numbers quickly in your head..."

Twenty gold Galleons weighed a tenth of a kilogram, maybe? And gold was, what, ten thousand British pounds a kilogram? So a Galleon would be worth about fifty pounds... The mounds of gold coins looked to be about sixty coins high and twenty coins wide in either dimension of the base, and a mound was pyramidal, so it would be around one-third of the cube. Eight thousand Galleons per mound, roughly, and there were around five mounds of that size, so forty thousand Galleons or 2 million pounds sterling.

Yes. Defined with example

CHAPTER 5
Fundamental attribution error

quote:

the fundamental attribution error is that we explain by permanent, enduring traits what would be better explained by circumstance and context."
Yes. Defined with example

CHAPTER 6
Natural language understanding - Bad Science

quote:

How can [the bag of holding] know that 'bag of 115 Galleons' is okay but not 'bag of 90 plus 25 Galleons'? It can count but it can't add? It can understand nouns, but not some noun phrases that mean the same thing? The person who made this probably didn't speak Japanese and I don't speak any Hebrew, so it's not using their knowledge, and it's not using my knowledge -" Harry waved a hand helplessly. "The rules seem sorta consistent but they don't mean anything! I'm not even going to ask how a pouch ends up with voice recognition and natural language understanding
No. Bag does not demonstrate natural language understanding.

The planning fallacy - Bad Science

quote:

reality usually delivers results a little worse than the 'worst-case scenario'. It's called the planning fallacy
Yes and no. Defined correctly. Context example of McGonagall saying a first aid kit is unneeded is not actually an example of the planning fallacy, since no duration planning takes place.

Bayes' Theorem - Bad Science

quote:

Bayes's Theorem said that any reasonable hypothesis which made it more likely than a thousand-to-one that he'd end up with the brother to the Dark Lord's wand, was going to have an advantage.
Bayes' Theorem is the usual spelling for historical reasons. Use is otherwise unobjectionable.

CHAPTER 7
Naming schema - Bad Science

quote:

"I'll call you Mr. Silver."

"You get away from... from Mr. Gold," Ron said coldly, and took a forward step. "He doesn't need to talk to the likes of you!"

Harry raised a placating hand. "I'll go by Mr. Bronze, thanks for the naming schema.

Not actually a naming schema.

Reciprocation theory

quote:

My own books called it reciprocation and they talk about how giving someone a straight gift of two Sickles was found to be twice as effective as offering them twenty Sickles in getting them to do what you want

Yes. Defined with example.

CHAPTER 8
Quark Names - Bad Science

quote:

name the six quarks or tell me where to find Hermione Granger.

"Up, down, strange, charm, truth, beauty, and why are you looking for her?"
Top and bottom are the typical names for the quark pair, not truth and beauty.

Confirmation bias - Bad Science

quote:

"What you've just discovered is called 'positive bias'," said the boy. "You had a rule in your mind, and you kept on thinking of triplets that should make the rule say 'Yes'. But you didn't try to test any triplets that should make the rule say 'No'. In fact you didn't get a single 'No', so 'any three numbers' could have just as easily been the rule.
Textbook example of Confirmation Bias is given but inaccurately renamed 'Positive Bias' for unknown reasons. Moreover, the classic formation of confirmation bias has been generally disproven by more recent studies in favor of a more nuanced formulation, see Klayman and Ha or Caverni and Rossi.

Bystander apathy

quote:

I think there were some people in the crowd who wanted to interfere at first, but bystander apathy held them off at least until they saw what we were doing, and then I think they were all too confused to do anything.
Yes. Previously defined in bystander effect discussion from chapter 3.

Desensitisation therapy - Bad Science

quote:

[Harry, Fred, and George bullying Neville] Finally he said in this tiny little whisper 'go away' so the three of us all screamed and ran off, shrieking something about the light burning us. Hopefully he won't be as scared of being bullied in the future. That's called desensitisation therapy, by the way.

Desensitization therapy is the training of a practiced relaxation response in to a phobic stimulus and gradually increasing the stimulus hierarchy. The point of the therapy is to train a non-panic response to whatever the phobia. Scaring the crap out of someone isn't useful if they aren't trying to control themselves and train another reaction. Most charitably you might call this a sort of attempted classical conditioning. But really this is just bullying, plain and simple. British spelling used.

Consequentialism

quote:

That's called consequentialism, by the way, it means that whether an act is right or wrong isn't determined by whether it looks bad, or mean, or anything like that, the only question is how it will turn out in the end - what are the consequences
Yes defined and example given.

Bonus weirdness: Draco rape threats, Enlightenment culture superiority

We have made it through 14 chapters! Let us update the list:

CHAPTER 9
Speciation and hybrids - Bad Science

quote:

You can't just mix two different species together and get viable offspring! It ought to scramble the genetic instructions for every organ that's different between the two species
Hybrid speciation is a thing, most obviously in mules. Hybrids can even be sexually viable.

CHAPTER 10
No science. su3su2u1 makes an argument that blackmailing the sorting hat is nonsensical.

CHAPTER 11
No Science. Filler chapters

CHAPTER 12
Confirmation Bias - Bad Science

quote:

that meant that as soon as he learned a spell to temporarily alter his own sense of humor, he could make anything happen, by making it so that he would only find that one thing surprising enough to do a spit-take, and then drinking a can of Comed-Tea.
Harry appears to be suffering from confirmation bias in his 'experiments' with comed-tea. No experiments with negative outcomes have been done as Harry attempts to understand how Comed-tea works, despite lecturing Hermione on this very shortcoming in Chapter 8. Unclear if this is a literary device or otherwise intentional.

CHAPTER 13
No science. Assuming time travel self consistency mechanics to be magical and part of setting.

CHAPTER 14
Time-reversal and antimatter - Bad Science

quote:

time-reversed ordinary matter looks just like antimatter
Not strictly correct.
The Feynman-Stueckelberg Interpretation does posit that anti-matter can be viewed as time-reversed matter, su3su2u1 has a nice writeup. Generally this due to an underlying CP symmetry. Specifically, time reversal is implied by the underlying charge conjugation parity symmetry--matter and mirror-image (parity reversed) anti-matter should behave identically. CP symmetry appears to hold for the strong force, though exactly WHY remains an open problem.
However CP symmetry violations , and therefore time reversal violations, have been experimentally demonstrated in some kaons and muons, most notably in the Nobel winning work by Chronin and Fitch. The recent BaBar experiments clearly identify time reversal violations in B mesons and anti-B mesons. Given the CP violations at the electroweak scale and the open Strong CP problem, stating 'time-reversed ordinary matter looks just like antimatter' appears a pedantic excuse to showoff quantum dynamics and anti-matter explosion trivia and not strictly accurate.

Anti-matter explosions

quote:

one kilogram of antimatter encountering one kilogram of matter will annihilate in an explosion equivalent to 43 million tons of TNT
Yes. Expected yield per e=mc^2.

Explosion blast radius - Bad Science

quote:

I myself weigh 41 kilograms and that the resulting blast [of 41 kg of anti-matter] would leave A GIANT SMOKING CRATER WHERE THERE USED TO BE SCOTLAND
Decidedly exaggerated. Radius of an explosion goes by the fifth root of the energy of an explosion, as GI Taylor demonstrated analyzing the Trinity explosion. 1 kg of anti-matter exploding is roughly equivalent to the Tsar Bomba explosion, so 41 kg will have a blast radius a little more than twice as big. To first order this is a 7km fireball and a 70 radius of destruction. Scotland has an area of some 78,000 square km.

Anthropic principle - Bad Science

quote:

"And it doesn't, say, create a paradox that destroys the universe."

She smiled tolerantly. "Mr. Potter, I think I'd remember hearing if that had ever happened."

"THAT IS NOT REASSURING! HAVEN'T YOU PEOPLE EVER HEARD OF THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE?
Selection bias is more appropriate, in recent years the strong and weak anthropic principles have become conflated and people continue to redefine the anthropic principle as they see fit. McGonagall's reasoning that timeturners have been safely used in the past should be reassuring.

Turing Computability - Bad Science

quote:

You know right up until this moment I had this awful suppressed thought somewhere in the back of my mind that the only remaining answer was that my whole universe was a computer simulation like in the book Simulacron 3 but now even that is ruled out because this little toy ISN'T TURING COMPUTABLE!
Reality can still be simulated on a computer in a universe with self consistent time travel, as Yud himself points out.

Confirmation Bias - Bad Science

quote:

"SO THAT'S HOW THE COMED-TEA WORKS! Of course! The spell doesn't force funny events to happen, it just makes you feel an impulse to drink right before funny things are going to happen anyway
Harry still appears to be suffering from confirmation bias in his 'experiments' with comed-tea. No experiments with negative outcomes have been done as Harry attempts to understand how Comed-tea works despite lecturing Hermione on this very shortcoming in Chapter 8. Remains unclear if this is a literary device or otherwise intentional. Harry's theories of timetravel mechanics are also not tested.

Still not good for Yud/Harry. Looking worse than before!

Bonus weirdness: Oriental wise man stereotypes

Edited for formatting, antimatter discussion and quotes

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Someone once told Big Yud that what he didn't know could fill a book and by god he set out to prove it.