Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

As a slight amendment, Corn also does not have the raw food penalty but keeps much longer than strawberries do, takes longer to grow though.

If you only have poor soil (gravel and similar) then potatoes grow better in that, if you have Rich Soil deposits or hydroponics, Rice grows very fast in both of those.

This is great, had no idea . Tyvm

Found this mod with a few new crops and special recipies that require them. Would be cool if you could mod in favourite meals and mood-bonuses. Make our chefs actually love their job instead of churning out simple meals all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hahahaha holy poo poo, if you stockpile fertilized eggs together all the "time until hatched" counters sync up, and the whole stack hatches at once.

You can make a chicken bomb with it, it's awesome. I now have twelve new chicks just hatched in my main room.

e: make that eleven chicks and one dinner, power conduit just blew one of them up :/

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 24, 2015

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo, if you stockpile fertilized eggs together all the "time until hatched" counters sync up, and the whole stack hatches at once.

You can make a chicken bomb with it, it's awesome. I now have twelve new chicks just hatched in my main room.

While entertaining, its the Rimworld equivilant to the Catexplosion of Dwarf Fortress. I accidentally left my chickens unobserved for a couple months until I started getting log errors about chicken pathing. Turns out that in the course of a few months 2 hens and 1 rooster produced enough chicks to completely fill the 12x12 pen I made for them.

This problem is compounded by the fact that the names of chicks never updates - after birth the chickens will forever by named chick #, meaning that if you want to remove all the roosters from the pen you need to stare at the screen and individually mark them for slaughter. You can't just use the animal tab to move them to another field.

On a related note, how big are peoples haygrass fields? I just cannot keep up the hay production to keep my animals alive. Even with a smaller amount of cattle, even during the summer they quickly eat through everything and then starve.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Haygrass seemed absurdly effective, a couple of harvests of a single sunlamp field made like, six hundred units, if not more?

Also yeah I wouldn't leave them unsupervised, keep roosters and hens separate to stop them fertilizing the eggs.

You could also presumably just put the eggs in the freezer? I assume that would stop them working.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 24, 2015

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You can separate roosters and hens. That is actually one of the most obvious things that most people have never thought of for games.

Gnomoria requires that you manage breeding animals. My meat pens tend to fill up with unlucky males.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Haygrass seemed absurdly effective, a couple of harvests of a single sunlamp field made like, six hundred units, if not more?

poo poo, I haven't been using sunlamps outside. Yeah, that should make a difference.

OwlFancier posted:

Also yeah I wouldn't leave them unsupervised, keep roosters and hens separate to stop them fertilizing the eggs.

Yeah that's the plan, I just had the Rooster in there to get my hen numbers up to start the egg food chain. I think next time I'll only buy hens.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It shouldn't make a massive amount of difference given that I assume if you're growing outdoors you have reasonable day lengths and nonzero summer temperatures (ice sheet embark lololol) but I still find haygrass to be enormously effective as feed compared to other crops. Unless you're losing a lot of it? It does go off, it just takes a while. Animals don't eat very often anyway, I think it depends on the size of the animal actually.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I'm outside in a temperate region with a growing period of Mar to Oct. Losing feed isn't the issue, its the actual production of it that seems so slow to me.

In my second game I've got something ridiculous like a 24x24 plot of haygrass, but I just cannot get it to produce enough feed for my animals. It's not like I have 80 elephants either, its just 9 or so cows and a bunch of chickens.

Edit: how often are you changing where the pasture is? And how do you use this poverty grass seed? I've seen it on the trader a few times but haven't managed to re grass my pastures.

Edit 2: VVVVV all my animals are pasture outside on grass.

Kris xK fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 24, 2015

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
You can graze them when there's grass on the ground.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kris xK posted:

I'm outside in a temperate region with a growing period of Mar to Oct. Losing feed isn't the issue, its the actual production of it that seems so slow to me.

In my second game I've got something ridiculous like a 24x24 plot of haygrass, but I just cannot get it to produce enough feed for my animals. It's not like I have 80 elephants either, its just 9 or so cows and a bunch of chickens.

Edit: how often are you changing where the pasture is? And how do you use this poverty grass seed? I've seen it on the trader a few times but haven't managed to re grass my pastures.

Edit 2: VVVVV all my animals are pasture outside on grass.

Errrrm, I'm dumping the three cows I have in the open air bare rock cave I found in the mountain, I had a single growing zone in normal soil with a sunlamp on it and heaters running for a couple of months, and I ended up about six to eight hundred haygrass at the end, which I keep in a pile in the cow cave, they eat from it whenever they're hungry which is once every few days/week.

I don't really have any naturally occuring plants so I can't graze the cattle, plus it seems like they'd take several months to actually die of starvation anyway because they don't care about malnutrition mood wise.

One thing you can do to get rid of male chickens/lots of animals is to sell them, they list their genders in the trade index.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 24, 2015

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
It sounds more and more like I'm just doing something wrong.

Is your haygrass growing area covered? I might try to the indoors sunlamps+heater method next game. Everybody's got malaria this game anyways.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, it has to be covered because I have maybe twelve days a year where the temperature doesn't reach freezing and they're rarely in sequence.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are larger maps really unstable or is the game just over cautious?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

euphronius posted:

Are larger maps really unstable or is the game just over cautious?

I've never had an issue using large maps, never really tried the extra large ones but I don't imagine there'd be much bother, more caution than need I would say.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So all my wargs starved to death. Only thing I can think of is that the meat was frozen? They may need raw meat.

I checked their tooltip and nothing indicated it. Only thing that kept them fed was my trainers feeding them while trying to teach them tricks

However all was not lost. After my last warg starved to death, I got a manhunter event! 24 wargs! I ended up fending them off with 50 pigs, half of them pregnant.

By the way, pigs are awesome. Intelligent enough to haul, and they breed quickly.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
How do you tell the quality of soil for farming?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

OwlFancier posted:

Huh, that's neat, just had a Thrumbo wander in. It's near impossble to tame but has a lifespan of about 220 years and hits real hard. Also its fur is super good and valuable.

I think you can get the horn off them but looking back, that might be a corpse operation whereas I just made it into burgers.

I got that one too. The horn drops when they die, not when you butcher them (I immediately picked it up as a trophy for the guy who killed it, and made him haul that fucker back for butchery).

In other news, one of my guys tamed a rhino. It somehow immediately was given a name. The game named it Truffles. :3:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

the moose posted:

How do you tell the quality of soil for farming?

The tile determines it. Soil is normal quality, gravel is low quality, rich soil is high quality. You will see a change to the growth rate of plants in different soils.

I think the next logical addition for animals is making them gear. I want war rhinos clad in armour plate and with shields bolted on, and I also want yorkshire terriers with little coats.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 24, 2015

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Animals will also eat any meals you make. They also don't have mood modifiers. Got lots of chickens? EAT YOUR BROTHERS, LITTLE ONES... :unsmigghh:

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

A herd of wild Yorkshire Terriers just joined my colony. I was expecting just one when the message popped up but no, ten of the things joined. Time to create an army of war dogs. I hope I can feed them all :ohdear:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I put down an animal zone but my chickens keep wandering everywhere. How do you guys keep your chickens in one place?

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I put down an animal zone but my chickens keep wandering everywhere. How do you guys keep your chickens in one place?

You have to assign them to the zone using the Animals tab.

edit: YORKIE UPDATE

Swedish Horror fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 25, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Assign them to the Zones my friend in the animal tab. Put a food storage square in there too. Afaict they don't need to be heated or cooled.

Skwid
Aug 20, 2011

I got tired of being a loser so I spent money to not be a loser anymore.
So I'm a newbie and I agonized for a few hours before I realized that to actually PLACE animal zones, you have to make them in the animal menu and then place them with the "expand zones" tool. Hopefully that helps any other poor soul trying to figure that nonsense out. It makes sense now but it's not very intuitive.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I love boreal forest.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

KyloWinter posted:

I love boreal forest.

Me too, it´s pretty much the only setting i play

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Skwid posted:

So I'm a newbie and I agonized for a few hours before I realized that to actually PLACE animal zones, you have to make them in the animal menu and then place them with the "expand zones" tool. Hopefully that helps any other poor soul trying to figure that nonsense out. It makes sense now but it's not very intuitive.

I still don't understand it. Where is the actual thing I need to click to draw an animal zone?

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Iirc its architect menu -> zones -> expand zones (the two cream coloured buttons on the far right)

You can also go Animals menu -> manage zones or something

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
How do you guys survive boreal winter with a pack of wargs? you need constant fresh meat for them to eat but you have to make sure to somehow tell your colonists to not eat it?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

KyloWinter posted:

How do you guys survive boreal winter with a pack of wargs? you need constant fresh meat for them to eat but you have to make sure to somehow tell your colonists to not eat it?

I imagine they combine their warg packs with vast flocks of chickens

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can create priorities for food with stockpiles and bill distance limits.

For example I fill my nutrient paste hoppers first, and the chicken coop second. You can do similar things with cooking stockpiles.

If you set your warg pen to have a first priority stockpile of meat, then tell your cooking station to only take from nearby stocks, you can keep your wargs fed.

Actually getting the food of course is for you to figure out, meat isn't efficient unless you hunt for it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Everthing was going fine in my little town and then poison ships with robot centipedes with inferno guns fell from the sky. The end.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

OwlFancier posted:

For example I fill my nutrient paste hoppers first, and the chicken coop second. You can do similar things with cooking stockpiles.

If you set your warg pen to have a first priority stockpile of meat, then tell your cooking station to only take from nearby stocks, you can keep your wargs fed.

Actually getting the food of course is for you to figure out, meat isn't efficient unless you hunt for it.

Ah I didn't know about that. I'll have to look for those settingsd.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Okay, trainable animals is exactly what I didn't realize I wanted real bad.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Is peaceful play still an option if I just want to make a town without having things jump all over me?

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Yes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

Is peaceful play still an option if I just want to make a town without having things jump all over me?

Do the easiest base builder setting and the calm AI and at most you'll get like 2 man raids.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Easiest is to butchers invaders. You get a regular supply of meats for your wargs that you don't have to use for meals and all that leather to make stuff out of or sell.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Taeke posted:

Easiest is to butchers invaders. You get a regular supply of meats for your wargs that you don't have to use for meals and all that leather to make stuff out of or sell.

How do I butcher people? They are auto dumped or buried. Is there a setting at the butchers block? Also, does this not upset my colonists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

KyloWinter posted:

How do I butcher people? They are auto dumped or buried. Is there a setting at the butchers block? Also, does this not upset my colonists?

Yes, you have to edit the bill at the butcher's table to allow human corpses. I haven't done it in this version, but it did not upset your colonists in previous versions (just don't let them eat it). Perks are that you no longer need a crematorium and you can sell the human leather to a bulk goods trader.