Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Aztecs, The Dalek Invasion of Earth, The Romans, The Time Meddler, The Ark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The War Machines is pretty great too.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Forktoss posted:

The War Machines is pretty great too.

Time Flight is not

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Thanks, guys.

Jerusalem posted:

If you don't want to do fan reconstructions, there are a number of official ones too - there have been DVD releases of stories with missing episodes where they animated episodes to go with the audio (which exists for all episodes), including The Tenth Planet.

I'll look into that.

Speaking of animation, I just watched Scream of the Shalka. It wasn't even that bad of a story, but that early-mid 2000s flash animation.

Nice to see Jacobi as The Master though :v:

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 24, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked "The Web Planet" but nobody else did.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jsor posted:

For instance, it seems like The Sensorites talks a little bit about The Doctor and Susan's homeworld (even if it's all been retconned or whatever), but The Keys of Marinus isn't really important to anything so I might skip it unless it's super awesome.

Keys of Marinus is really interesting in that it's all separate stories liked by a "find all the pieces of thing" framing device. And while the conclusion is pretty stupid, a lot of the episodes along the way have them really trying to expand what the format could handle. So if you get bored with one part, you can just skip on to the next. Plus it has "Facing the death penalty for theft and murder? Don't worry, Chatterton, I'll be your defense attorney despite total unfamiliarity with local laws and customs." :chord:

You'll probably want to do The Rescue anyway, since it introduces Vicki, but it''s a neat little two-parter that subverts a lot of the "kiddie sci-fi" tropes that the series was expected to follow.

The Space Museum isn't important in and of itself, but it features the first unstable time loop and is a great showcase for the anarchist prankster Hartnell we get starting from Season 2. Plus it has the best interrogation scene in the series and Vicki demanding a killer answering machine that she be granted the power to bring the world revolution.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I never got to finish it, but I love "dammit, Doctor, why did you melt my Coal Hill tie, they make us pay for those" :eng99:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Silver Nemesis

is bad

It manages to simultaneously have too much going on and be boring. Also Nazis.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I know he's a massive fanboy, but surely cosplaying as John Nathan-Turner is a step too far?

Speaking of which...

Fil5000 posted:

It manages to simultaneously have too much going on and be boring. Also Nazis Paramilitaries.

Do you *want* to be haunted by a disembodied Hawaiian shirt for the next thirty years???

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The best part of Silver Nemesis is either

a) the jazz

or

b) that Anton Diffring (who plays the Colonel in the excellent Where Eagles Dare) only took the part of the neo nazi leader in order to come over and watch Wimbledon.

It was also Diffring's final work before his death; it's not quite Orson Welles in Transformers the Movie but god

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The best part of Silver Nemesis is either

a) the jazz

or

b) that Anton Diffring (who plays the Colonel in the excellent Where Eagles Dare) only took the part of the neo nazi leader in order to come over and watch Wimbledon.

It was also Diffring's final work before his death; it's not quite Orson Welles in Transformers the Movie but god

SO

Which was better

Moon Base or Silver Nemesis

Friend

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Burkion posted:

SO

Which was better

Friend

I should watch Moonbase tonight. I own so much classic Who on DVD that I've never watched.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

SO

Which was better

Friend

Silver Nemesis is a rerun of Remembrance, but with the various bits and pieces stuffed together illogically at the last second (JNT wanted the Cybermen in it for the programme's silver anniversary, very clever).

The Moonbase is a rerun of The Tenth Planet, but slightly better paced. The Moonbase is actually pretty ok

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

NEXT STORY PLEASE

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

NEXT STORY PLEASE

First Rani story.

Revel in the Master just having no actual plan beyond "Let's gently caress with absolutely everyone today."

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Time Flight

REAP WHAT YOU SOW

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

NEXT STORY PLEASE

The Stones of Blood!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

First Rani story.

Revel in the Master just having no actual plan beyond "Let's gently caress with absolutely everyone today."

I already had that in Time Flight :mad:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Esteemed forums poster MrL_Jakiri, I wish to know what opinions you have on Shada.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Which version?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

MrL_JaKiri posted:

NEXT STORY PLEASE

timelash

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Which version?

The only one that matters is the home video version with the Tom Baker intro where he goes "SHADAAAAaaaaaaaaa!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Burkion posted:

Bored gently caress-with-people-for-no-reason Master is the best Master.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Doctor Who Symphonic Spectacular in NYC was just cancelled.

it would have been Oct 7 and featured Michelle Gomez presenting. Me and my little cousin had tickets and had planned around it!

What a lovely loving deal. We're being refunded but still, jeez.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

NEXT STORY PLEASE

The Seeds of Doom!

If you've already watched that then.... The Seeds of Death!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What was the fourth doctor story where he's in the english countryside and there is some kind of cult, but also a space ship with galactic space police who are just a couple glowing balls that are apparently robots? Because only robots could be trusted to administer justice impartially. He opens the wrong door in the space ship and this is illegal, so the glowy ball robot police are going to arrest him, but he gets away.

I didn't just dream that, right? That was a real episode?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That is Stones of Blood, part of the Key to Time season.

If you ever have to ask,"Did I just imagine Doctor Who doing this really weird thing once?" the answer is generally,"No." :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

THE MYTH MAKERS (recon only, sadly)

This was the most unwatchable reconstruction for me. It's clearly a good episode, but effectively no materials from it exist and they just used the same three pictures over and over instead of supplementing things to make it watchable. If you're going to do that then I might as well just play the audio and not even look.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerusalem posted:

That is Stones of Blood, part of the Key to Time season.

If you ever have to ask,"Did I just imagine Doctor Who doing this really weird thing once?" the answer is generally,"No." :)

Cool. Did he ever clear his name with the robotic space police? If not, that's an antagonist I'd like to see return.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
The best part of Key to Time is the first 45 seconds of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R21xaP4RD9k

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The Doctor and Charlotte Pollard arrive on a world that is populated by werewolves.

Colin Baker is the Doctor in The Red House.

X X X X X

Cast
Colin Baker (The Doctor)
India Fisher (Charlotte Pollard)
Michael Jayston (The Valeyard)
Ashley McGuire (Sergeant)
Andree Bernard (Dr Paignton/Constable)
Rory Keenan (Ugo)
Jessie Buckley (Lina)
Kieran Hodgson (Arin/Dennis)

Written by: Alan Barnes
Directed by: Nicholas Briggs

(CD cover fanart by MrFuggleboppins and awesomep of the Big Finish forums)

X X X X X

The Red House is the second serial in the four story arc that is The Last Sixth Doctor Adventure. Sadly, it turns out to be aggressively mediocre, relying solely on a very weak premise turned on its ear in a way that's been done time and time again. The Red House is barely redeemed by the returning India Finish in the role of Charley and the presence of Michael Jayston as the Valeyard.

The Doctor and Edwardian adventuress Charlotte Pollard find themselves in a small rustic village nestled in the woods at sunrise. The tolling of a bell should mean the beginning of a brand new day, but instead rings for an ominous curfew. As the villagers lock themselves in their homes, a pack of werewolves in strange bodysuits attack the duo. Separated in the chaos, Charley finds herself in a mansion overlooking the town, where a scientist vows to cure her of her bestial nature with the assistance of her mysterious and devious assistant. And the Doctor discovers that a second pack of werewolves lie deep in the forest, a group who want to do nothing more than...allow the sun to beat down about them so they can transform into their human forms!

Alan Barnes is known for his work on both the Doctor Who and Judge Dredd comics. He also penned some of the definitive stories featuring Charley, including her introduction in Storm Warning, the conclusion of her first story arc in Neverland and her “departure” in The Girl Who Never Was, as well as the Fourth Doctor Adventure two-parter Trail of the White Worm/The Oseidon Adventure. It was a no-brainer to tap Barnes to pen The Red House as Charley plays a vital part in the proceedings with her history as a temporal paradox and how it ties into the Valeyard's overall plan. While the parts with Charley and the Valeyard are fantastic, it's less to do with Barnes' script and more to do with the performances of India Fisher and Michael Jayston. In fact, the script for The Red House is incredibly average. Whereas End of the Line was incredibly atmospheric and creepy with an original and interesting crisis, The Red House attempts to make its bones through the simple fact of “The planet is inhabited by werewolves! Humans are the true savages, but so are the werewolves! Co-existance needs to occur, but humanity/Garou can't get along, as both try to repress and oppress the other! And someone throws a nuclear missile for good measure!” Been there, done that, with very little to make anything truly stand out other than the presence of the Valeyard.

By the time he's traveled with Charlotte Pollard, the Sixth Doctor has been around for a while – traveling with Peri, then Mel (for the first time), and then Evelyn Smythe before Charley ends up on the TARDIS doorstep. Colin Baker plays a Doctor for whom this incarnation's rough edges have been smooth away, leaving a confident, crafty Doctor. The stakes in The Red House are portrayed as much lower as those in End of the Line, so we get a Doctor who treats the situation with a lighter hear than usual. Aside from his back-and-forth with Charley (which rivals anything he had with Evelyn! On a different level and of a different type, of course), the Doctor shows guile in the form of attempting to hypnotize a werewolf pack, but in reality he's using the pocket watch to reflect sunlight onto them! As well, we get a Doctor who's truly dedicated to “winning,” refusing to let the worst come to past if there's anything he can do about, including sacrificing himself and refusing to take the easy way out and rescue two werewolves from certain death when there's a chance to rescue all of them. And I would be remiss in not mentioning the Sixth Doctor's patented outrage at the psychic horrors Dr Paignton inflicts upon the werewolves in the guise of “curing” them. Baker does a fine job, as per usual, with The Red House, though he is overshadowed a bit by his companion and the story arc's long-term villain!

After appearing in in a cameo role during End of the Line, Michael Jayston makes a full appearance at the Valeyard, squaring off against Charlotte Pollard in an attempt to manipulate her to serve his own ends. Aside from appearing as the Valeyard, an amalgamation of the Doctor's darker side that appears sometime between his twelfth and final regenerations, during the Trial of a Time Lord story arc, Jayston has enjoyed a storied career, appearing in films such as Cromwell and Nicholas and Alexandra as well as the classic Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. It would have been incredibly easy for Jayston to simply play the Valeyard as over the top as possible – indeed there are a few moments where he chews the scenery – but Jayston's performance here is pure Time Lord. He's both arrogant and charming to Charley as he calmly and rationally explains to her why the Doctor is doing the wrong thing and why it's up to HER to stop him...after all, she knows all about Time Lord non-interference, doesn't she? Of course, it's all a cover for the Valeyard's true purpose. Jayston perfectly nails the mix between evil and intriguing, and listeners who know little about the Valeyard are given enough to hook them for the rest of this story arc.

After leaving the Eighth Doctor, Charlotte Pollard ended up traveling with the Sixth Doctor for eight main range stories, from The Condemned through Blue Forgotten Planet. India Fisher has always been an unexpected delight with her Big Finish work, through her travels with Eight and Six, a wickedly good companion chronicle in Solitaire, and the anniversary story The Light of the End. Charley's banter with the Sixth Doctor early on in The Red House announces her presence early, with a hint of the frustration but none of the underlying issues that afflicted Six and Peri's early travels. It's a case of one friend exasperated because her friend doesn't quite speak her exact language...which makes perfect sense, going from the romantic and quick on his feet Eighth Doctor to the bombastic and “I am never wrong” Sixie! It goes on through her angry interactions with Dr Paignton – Charley doesn't beg for her freedom so much as demand it – and her interactions with the Valeyard. Fisher carries her end of the conversation as a character who knows all about Time Lord and Celestial Intervention Agency shenanigans, her normal era of annoyance and cockiness giving way to an understanding and a bit of curiosity with his presence. The Red House shows just how great India Fisher was with Big Finish – anyone who can carry their own opposite Paul McGann, Colin Baker, and Michael Jayston is well deserving of any and all praise!

The rest of the supporting cast, however, doesn't carry their weight. If you asked me to pick them out of an audio line-up, or press me to describe which character had which motivations, I would be very hard pressed to do so! It doesn't help that Big Finish just doesn't pull off the werewolf voices AT ALL. In the suits meant to protect them from the sun, the actors playing the werewolves sound like they're speaking through about ten feet of plumbing, and when free of the suit's confines, it doesn't get any better as they sound like they gargled ten gallons of salt water before their performance! It's a far cry from the well done werewolves in Loups-Garoux.

The music work in The Red House consisted of a lot of drums, especially because of a good bit of chase scenes and moments of tension throughout the story. But the sound work really stood out. It gave off a sort of Ravenloft vibe – a humble village, dark woods, werewolves stalking the night with doors being bashed in and branches breaking, and the works of a mad scientist with cackling equipment and screaming patients.

The Red House serves one purpose – to show the beginning of the Valeyard's ultimate plan against the Doctor. Beyond that, there's not much to recommend other than the performances of Colin Baker, India Fisher, and Michael Jayston. This one left me a bit disappointed, and I'm hoping the presence of Henry Gordon Jago and Professor George Litefoot in the follow-up to this story means a story with a little more bite to it.

Pros
+ Colin Baker on top of his game
+ India Fisher's welcome return for one night only
+ Michael Jayston's turn as the Valeyard
+ Spooky sound work

Cons
- Weak script
- Can't tell the secondary players apart

Cobi's Synopsis – An average script is brought up by the performances of Baker, Fisher, and Jayston, but The Red House still lacks any long-term bite.

Next up - The Doctor and Flip visit Victorian London, where investigators Jago and Litefoot explore theatrical performances that have echoes of the Doctor's past lives...

Colin Baker is the Doctor in...The Last Sixth Doctor Adventure – Stage Fight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You accidentally listed Charley Pollard as the companion, Cobi. She's an 8th Doctor companion.... oh ho ho, what a mistake to make :)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

You accidentally listed Charley Pollard as the companion, Cobi. She's an 8th Doctor companion.... oh ho ho, what a mistake to make :)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DoctorWhat posted:

The Doctor Who Symphonic Spectacular in NYC was just cancelled.

it would have been Oct 7 and featured Michelle Gomez presenting. Me and my little cousin had tickets and had planned around it!

What a lovely loving deal. We're being refunded but still, jeez.

How disappointing. Did they give a reason why?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

No-one's suggested a First Doctor story so I watched The Keys of Marinus. Which is a massive rush job, has huge plot holes, and the production is pretty dodgy even for the time. The main cast - except Carole Ann Ford, who for some reason has been made to play Susan in this story with the mental age of a 5 year old - all struggle on gallantly (except Billy for 1/3 of the story, who announces in episode 2 that he's going on holiday and will be back in episode 5), but it's not really salvageable.

Meanwhile, The Mark of the Rani is the story I'd probably choose as the one Moffat was thinking "I really need to make fun of Doctor Who" for the Curse of Fatal Death. Multiple instances of "I'll explain later" - Keys, for all its faults, at least doesn't do this at all - and it now subjects two renegade Time Lords to the "obviously going to survive for next time" fate that normally only befalls the Master.

Watching that one after watching two early Pertwee stories - Ambassadors of Death and Inferno - gave me huge enormous character whiplash as well, with Pertwee's early stories being all science! All the time! and Baker being basically given a few lines that say "The Rani's a scientist, and like all scientists is PURE EVIL" (which itself doesn't fit with the character of an episode about saving Stephenson, Davey, etc from the HORRIBLE LUDDITES (a group history has been unnecessarily cruel to, before you get Pip and Jane being unnecessarily cruel to history's interpretation)). Absolutely nonsense, and given I've watched Meglos and Time Flight in the days prior that says a lot.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

jng2058 posted:

How disappointing. Did they give a reason why?

Nope. I'd guess it didn't sell enough tickets.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

For anyone who hasn't seen Time Flight, that's the one where the Master (who has miraculously escaped from the previous episode where he was seen certainly being killed) disguises himself in a sort of Chinese mystic version of blackface to confuse the audience and then after an episode of the Doctor going "You're not actually a weird mystic, this is clearly bollocks" he goes "AHA LOOK I AM THE MASTER I HAVE DECEIVED YOU AGAIN DOCTOR". It's MST3K levels of crap

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If you want 1st Doctor recommendations, outside of the usual suspects (Aztecs, Daleks etc) I'd suggest The War Machines, if only to see what feels like a proto-Pertwee era story (the later Troughton story The Invasion probably being the prototype for what was to come). Also, as I always do, I'd suggest The Romans which is a story I absolutely love. The Reign of Terror is pretty good too, with the missing episodes now animated to fill in the gaps - Hartnell's road trip to Paris is wonderful.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 26, 2015

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Also Planet of the Giants or whatever it's called, which has hartnell crawling into and out of a sink for 3 eps. it's wonderfully stupid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MrL_JaKiri posted:

For anyone who hasn't seen Time Flight, that's the one where the Master (who has miraculously escaped from the previous episode where he was seen certainly being killed) disguises himself in a sort of Chinese mystic version of blackface to confuse the audience and then after an episode of the Doctor going "You're not actually a weird mystic, this is clearly bollocks" he goes "AHA LOOK I AM THE MASTER I HAVE DECEIVED YOU AGAIN DOCTOR". It's MST3K levels of crap

He even struggles to get out of his disguise (seriously, you couldn't have given the guy another take?). Isn't Time-flight the one where his survival is addressed with a conversation that goes something like:

"So, you surivived?"
"Yes, Doctor!"

And that is all?

• Locked thread