Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notdave
Aug 24, 2015
The run I had the most fun with this year was a Chaos run with Thief/Beastmaster/Chemist/Samurai. It was the perfect team to try a low-level game with, so I unlocked them all from the beginning and went for it. I managed to pull it off at levels 2/2/2/3:

If anyone's interested, here are all my boss strategies and sloppy notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

notdave posted:

quote:

Byblos: Release a Page 32 (X-Zone)

I knew I liked you for a reason. :)

E: Also, did you Split Shell Omega? Probably would've sped the process up.

notdave
Aug 24, 2015

Kyrosiris posted:

E: Also, did you Split Shell Omega? Probably would've sped the process up.

Whoops, yep I did! Forgot to note it down.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Run 6 complete. Not bothering with the superbosses.

Did a bunch of grinding for levels so I moved the jobs around more than I needed to, and that ended up leading to all four jobs being mastered for all four characters, save Samurai for Cara. She was close!...but it wasn't necessary. NED was a breeze so the grinding was pretty unnecessary. Zeninage is sinful but I used it, and Flareblade Chicken Knife Buildup is hilarious.

Doubt I'll do another one as we've only got a week left! But it's been fun and I got almost every job through my six runs. Between this and my four last summer I have gotten all of them.

This year, I didn't get Black Mage, Bard, or Dragoon. I could probably bust out a job-faired run with those three (+Summoner or something to make it an especially easy run) this weekend but I think I'm sated.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

notdave posted:

The run I had the most fun with this year was a Chaos run with Thief/Beastmaster/Chemist/Samurai. It was the perfect team to try a low-level game with, so I unlocked them all from the beginning and went for it. I managed to pull it off at levels 2/2/2/3:

How did you accumulate turtle shells and dragon fangs without gaining levels?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Schwartzcough posted:

How did you accumulate turtle shells and dragon fangs without gaining levels?

Stolen from Mini Dragons and Grass Turtles, then ran away.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Last fiesta for the year! :toot: Despite the lineup, this was actually a regular run. I was hoping for a Mystic Knight or Ranger, since I've never gotten one for a Fiesta yet but this combo was pretty solid otherwise, if not one-dimensional. Almost had NED down on my first try, but I triggered the danger phase and had my Samurai survive with single digit HP. If I was faster I could have popped off an elixir before the sap effect kicked in :negative:

In the end, since I was playing with my mod I used 10 Osafunes to cram a bunch of Fuma Shurikens down Almagest's throat and then Zeninage'd the rest. An okay run, just needed to grind a bit for some Death Sickles, some gold for Zeninage and AP for a dual-wielding artful dodging Berserker. A walk through Phoenix Tower with a Thief solved the last two problems :v:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Currently in the process of zombieflecting Shinryu. Found something interesting in the mobile version: my Blue Mage zombie's Magus Rod attacks on party members actually get reflected! Never hits Shinryu though. So Rods do actually cast an animationless spell in this version, which prevents people wearing Rods from bonking party members out of !Sing, Confusion etc.; I wonder now if some Rod attacks could be reflected onto Shinryu and actually hit. Because, you know, every little bit in this eternity of waiting for him to die would help...

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Rushing through to finish my run because I am a lazy poo poo. Did you know that frogs can pop the Fire Lash Firaga? Because I didn't.

(Sorry for small but I didn't notice until I already sent it out.)

Halicarnassus didn't know what was coming. All I did was have Jortz attack with the Fire Lash, Faris summon Animals, and Krile Rapid Fire, which didn't accomplish much as I could have just used Zeninage if I wasn't being greedy. Lenna is the only human because I have limited Maiden's Kisses and I needed someone to cast Carbuncle.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

One hour.

Also:

Piss-easy with this team. Can't comment much on stoplocking; the fight seemed completely foolproof as I just needed three attacks anyway. Just Sing immediately before Rapidfiring, with two singers and a hasted Rapidfirer, Omega doesn't really get to do much. 3 Reflect Rings, one Hermes Sandal + a Flame Shield against the Ray, White Wind if he does dunno Beam Cannon. The Blaster should not hit the Rapidfirer, of course. Otherwise cake.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Here comes a last minute Triple Crown, awww yeah.

Wonder Wand Berserk is already pretty much a gimme, but throwing a Rainbow Wind Release on top of that is just silly.

I had never gotten Beastmaster before in FJF, so I was able to discover that Calm makes Omega hilariously easy. Rapid Fire is just icing on the cake.

Neo Exdeath ended up being actually the most difficult of the three, just because I was too stubborn to go grinding. The only reason I won was due to Krile blocking both Almagests, and from there, Phoenix was just amazingly good at getting people back up.

Overall, I really enjoyed this run because, as friend to all animals whether they be mundane, magical, or even malevolent, you really have a lot of options for many of the fights. My favorite moments were picking up Death for the Dragon Pod, and getting Maelstrom for the Crystals fight.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
OK, you know how I said way earlier in the thread that !Iainuki was impractical because of the delay before it actually goes off? I have to take that back after discovering that Hermes Sandals significantly reduces that delay. This poo poo is great.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Even without those, it's a ridiculously high rate aoe instakill. The delay doesn't really matter.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Everything really good in FFV has a delay, setup or requires two people to act, like Spellblade, Dark Spark/Old + Lvl 5 Death, Chemistry drinks, Bardsongs...

!Ianuki is faster.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I'll give you both that. Especially since no one mentioned the important party: IT IGNORES INSTANT DEATH IMMUNITY. Sure, still misses on Heavies, but seriously, drat.

I slapped that poo poo on my Dancer and watch 'em fly. Once my endgame Samurai learns it himself, everything dies.

I should probably check which final dungeon enemies are all Heavy. I know at least Movers are, and I think Crystelles too, but as for everything else I'm not sure.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Decided to pick up my Time / Geo / Samurai / Dragoon run.

!Gaia may be some hippie poo poo but it is pretty hilarious against Archeoaevis.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Took 2 months but I literally only played about 25 minutes on the bus everyday.

This was an extremely easy chaos run. Exdeath was the 2x zeninage, 2x bahamut show all day. Only Fartz had enough HP to survive Almagest, but with speed song built up from the entire first form of exdeath and hermes sandals, he was able to revive the rest and then just keep zerging with zeninage and bahamut summons. I got off about 30k hp before the almagest went off so once the team was picked back up exdeath was gone shortly after.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Victory #10 and Triple Crown #8: Team Earth Chaos (Samurai / Chemist / Dancer / Dragoon)

:negative: Is it... Is it finally over? Am I done at last? I am.

Anyway, this was a fun team at times and a frustrating one at others. The lack of (cheap) multi-target damage was a pain at times. Also Dancer Lenna decided that she really hated Sword Dancing and would often spend entire battles doing nothing but draining and confusion. Even after I eliminated the latter option with a Rainbow Dress, she would just not Chicken Dance sometimes. And Omega was his usual douchey self. I actually had to eventually leave the Rift just to resupply because he made me run through most of my Hi-Potions (though to be fair I also needed to buy 3 more Coral Rings for Twintania on account of my almost-entirely physical team). But at least Shinryu and NED were easy enough thanks to Bacchus' Cider + Dark Sigh on the former and enough buffs to blitz the latter with a level 255 double-HP regen'd team.

So hey, I met my goal of 10 runs, beating last year by 3 runs! And now... now I can finally stop playing.

...Wait, I still have that solo Dragoon challenge in the Omnithread.

:negative:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bufuman posted:

Victory #10 and Triple Crown #8: Team Earth Chaos (Samurai / Chemist / Dancer / Dragoon)

:negative: Is it... Is it finally over? Am I done at last? I am.

Anyway, this was a fun team at times and a frustrating one at others. The lack of (cheap) multi-target damage was a pain at times. Also Dancer Lenna decided that she really hated Sword Dancing and would often spend entire battles doing nothing but draining and confusion. Even after I eliminated the latter option with a Rainbow Dress, she would just not Chicken Dance sometimes. And Omega was his usual douchey self. I actually had to eventually leave the Rift just to resupply because he made me run through most of my Hi-Potions (though to be fair I also needed to buy 3 more Coral Rings for Twintania on account of my almost-entirely physical team). But at least Shinryu and NED were easy enough thanks to Bacchus' Cider + Dark Sigh on the former and enough buffs to blitz the latter with a level 255 double-HP regen'd team.

So hey, I met my goal of 10 runs, beating last year by 3 runs! And now... now I can finally stop playing.

...Wait, I still have that solo Dragoon challenge in the Omnithread.

:negative:

You didn't need Coral Rings for Twintani. It's susceptible to !Iainuki and Death Potion while charging Gigaflare.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

dis astranagant posted:

You didn't need Coral Rings for Twintani. It's susceptible to !Iainuki and Death Potion while charging Gigaflare.

True, but I always hate waiting that first phase out. I like to kill him before he reaches part 2 if I can. And I could! Holy Lance and Chicken Dance (when Lenna chose to use it :argh:) brought him down in short order. And the rings came in handy since he kept throwing out Tidal Wave counters (seeing as I also kept the other two classes attacking since they really had nothing better to do).

Plus my bitching about !Zeninage being expensive was mostly for the early to middle game. After selling off all the rare crap I'd collected and was unable to use, I had more than enough to afford the Coral Rings.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

notdave posted:

Well my deal is with Dr. Pepper but this is impressive, so it'll do. Highest level of 3 with no job fairs is 96 bucks (and 96 again next year). I'll throw in the extra 4 next year to make it an even 10 berserkers. Car broke down so I'll need to wait a couple weeks to make the initial donation.

I'll go ahead and :toxx: myself - must post proof of the initial $96 donation by 9/12 (because otherwise I'm going to forget).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd completely forgot about this!? I think I have two days left to finish my run? I was grinding prior to the last battle so my team could survive on shot of Almagest.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Any ideas on avoiding Almagest? My team is White Mage, Time Mage, Bard, and Dancer with a max level of 38 and all 4 jobs mastered. I can get through regular Exdeath no problem with reflect rings, but I can't survive Almagest.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Maigius posted:

Any ideas on avoiding Almagest? My team is White Mage, Time Mage, Bard, and Dancer with a max level of 38 and all 4 jobs mastered. I can get through regular Exdeath no problem with reflect rings, but I can't survive Almagest.

Well, since you have bard, you could always just sing your stats to the moon during the first phase of Exdeath and kill Neo Exdeath before he takes a single action. Seriously, between the time mage's Quick and Bard giving you max stats/levels, Neo shouldn't be able to do a drat thing.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Maigius posted:

Sit on Treedeath for a while buffing with speed song and you can go fast enough to blitz possibly the whole thing, but definitely the part that casts Almagest, before he can cast it. If you're not sure which part that is there's a guide I'd link if not on phone but there's an IRC shortcut for it.

E: Hell with quick-abuse you might not even need speed song. Just know which part to focus-fire.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Heck, shell will cut Almagest in half. Blink will neuter Vac Wave. The only risk is a very, very nasty Grand Cross roll.
Grand cross won't last long when the Bard destroys it with Apollo's harp.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Seriously, any team with White Mage should NEVER have issues with Almagest, it does like 750 damage with Shell.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Improved buffing on the first form and Quicked Holys did the job. I completely forgot about Quick. Thanks for reminding me about that spell. Total damage that Neo did was 1 Vacuum Wave for ~200 damage and the one Grand Cross that actually happened only really condemned Faris. She was the Bard and never stopped singing from the tree part. I'll post the proof tomorrow along with the rest of what should be a triple crown. Shinryu is already dead. This is my first time beating FFV although I had a fiesta run last year that stalled on Neo.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Oh well I got in under the wire for a total of 5.

NED's always tougher than I think. My party was Samurai/Dragoon/Time/Geo, so great spread damage with GP toss and !Gaia+air knife, but for directed damage, !Jump and Meteor don't really cut it. I couldn't really kill the Alamgest part much faster than I could kill all of NED. The RNG didn't like me either; no Almagest blocks, lots of targeting my spellcasters

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

That's run number 8 in the bag right at the end. Took me almost two months, honestly - the biggest adversary was having a team that made the run so easy I just couldn't be arsed to care. And then I bum rushed through world 2 and world 3 in the matter of two hours. :flashfact:

Seriously, though, any one of these classes in a FJF team would have made it significantly easier, but all four together just basically put me to sleep. By the end of the game (which is to say, when I got Chicken Knife Rapid Fire) I just ended up wading through the Rift with my finger on the A button. I made it a personal contest to see how many actions Neo Exdeath could get off: it was a single Vacuum Wave, and by the time it fired off, that segment was already the last piece standing.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Finally got around to actually starting my run last night. Party is Geomancer/Berserker/Chemist/Berserker, which made world 1 kind of agonising, especially Sandworm and Soul Cannon. Well, at least I actually have access to a Chemist now, I guess?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Saigyouji posted:

Finally got around to actually starting my run last night. Party is Geomancer/Berserker/Chemist/Berserker, which made world 1 kind of agonising, especially Sandworm and Soul Cannon. Well, at least I actually have access to a Chemist now, I guess?

Yeah, two mixbots and two beatsticks is pretty much the easiest way to run doublezerk. You're gonna be grinding a lot of Dragon Fangs and Turtle Shells, though, and don't be afraid to run through Gil Cave a couple of times to get what you need for 99 Phoenix Downs/Hi Potions.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, two mixbots and two beatsticks is pretty much the easiest way to run doublezerk. You're gonna be grinding a lot of Dragon Fangs and Turtle Shells, though, and don't be afraid to run through Gil Cave a couple of times to get what you need for 99 Phoenix Downs/Hi Potions.

Yep. If you're on the GBA version you can quicksave glitch your way through the money grab without having to deal with the Gil Turtle.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ok so I finally remembered that I have a game to play, got back into it and my combo is easily overpowered. Bard and samurai alone is nuts, but the utility of time mage makes it even better. Then I have the chemist who is just overkill.

I got a question though. I'm using vgba-m, and the game looks so poo poo compared to the snes version. What kind of settings do you guys have on it to make it look crisper and nicer?

Edit:

I've ground in castle bal for max chemist on 2 guys and samurai on another, I ground for turtle shells, dragon fangs and reflect rings as well. At level 32 across the board, I'm fairly confident I'm more than capable of beating the game without even getting to world 3.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 31, 2015

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sprite141 posted:

I've ground in castle bal for max chemist on 2 guys and samurai on another, I ground for turtle shells, dragon fangs and reflect rings as well. At level 32 across the board, I'm fairly confident I'm more than capable of beating the game without even getting to world 3.

:catstare: Yeah, you definitely overindulged in your grinding. Have fun casually walking all over the rest of the game!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Sprite141 posted:

I got a question though. I'm using vgba-m, and the game looks so poo poo compared to the snes version. What kind of settings do you guys have on it to make it look crisper and nicer?
Unchecking bilinear filter in the video settings will remove the fuzz if that's what you want.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I did too much grinding as well and I got to this point in the game before getting pretty burned out:

http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff5/walkthrough.php?chapter=3-9

What can I skip to get to the end of the game? I've never beaten this before. I think half of this guide just has you getting more of the ultimate weapons, of which I already have enough for the party. Do I do all of the interdimensional rifts now?

edit: doing a natural run Black Mage 35, Berserker 34, Ninja 35, Samurai 33. All have fire rings so the Black Mage can do healing

edit 2: gonna see if I can just get through by watching a speed run video and seeing where they go

edit 3: ok i think I figured it out here goes nothing :downs:

texasmed fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 31, 2015

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

texasmed posted:

I did too much grinding as well and I got to this point in the game before getting pretty burned out:

http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff5/walkthrough.php?chapter=3-9

What can I skip to get to the end of the game? I've never beaten this before. I think half of this guide just has you getting more of the ultimate weapons, of which I already have enough for the party. Do I do all of the interdimensional rifts now?

edit: doing a natural run Black Mage 35, Berserker 34, Ninja 35, Samurai 33. All have fire rings so the Black Mage can do healing

edit 2: gonna see if I can just get through by watching a speed run video and seeing where they go

As long as you got the Magus Rod, Assassins Dagger, Sasuke's Knife and Masamune from the tablets you don't need to do more.

Doing fork tower for Flare would be nice, but not imperative since you really want to use elemental spells that can be boosted with the Magus Rod.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to finish my third run. Ended up being too similar to my second, so I've had very little enthusiasm to play.

I suppose I could rush to the end but I've got a bunch of writing to do for tomorrow, so it seems unlikely I'll find the time to play with that hanging over my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Didn't end up getting Omega (think I got really close on a try with Jumps/Blue magic and then other things came out this month before I got to try again), and wanted to try something else out too, but at least I got a couple Lvl5 Deaths on Neo ExDeath.

I said this before, but next year I'm definitely using an emulator because I tend to do the leveling/grindy stuff, and I got really curious about some of my failure attempts this time. In fact, if I'm not too busy my plan is to do runs until I get a Triple Crown.

• Locked thread