Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
But don't you see? The humans win because of human spirit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

wheres the federation mech units. why isnt this starship troopers or warhammer 40k. fuckin BULLSHIT

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Kitchner posted:

There also isn't any "ground forces" they are just dudes in the yellow uniforms. Since the only half way competent security person you ever meet in a yellow uniform is Worf and everyone else gets bitch slapped, vapourised, or tricked into letting their prisoner escape, I'm surprised the Cardassians didn't wipe the Federation out in ever land battle.

Now that I think about it, Worf's the only person in the federation that knows how to do more than that dumb two-handed club move. Maybe being obsessed with 500-times folded Hanzo Steel is a good idea after all.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

shadow puppet of a posted:

The Bajorans survived only on the harmonious goodwill and benevolent mercy of one Gull Dukat thank you very much.

who, one will note, did nothing wrong

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

TEAYCHES posted:

wheres the federation mech units. why isnt this starship troopers or warhammer 40k. fuckin BULLSHIT

Or you know, maybe just soldiers that actually look like they have protective armour, first aid gear, grenades, other assorted military equipment, and a camouflaged unfiform rather than extras in the yellow extra uniform holding a rifle.

You know just actual soldiers rather than Ensign Ricky with a phaser rifle.

The one good thing about the last seasons of Enterprise is they brought the Commando guys on board and they were military bad asses.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Kitchner posted:

There also isn't any "ground forces" they are just dudes in the yellow uniforms. Since the only half way competent security person you ever meet in a yellow uniform is Worf and everyone else gets bitch slapped, vapourised, or tricked into letting their prisoner escape, I'm surprised the Cardassians didn't wipe the Federation out in ever land battle.

Well the dudes in the yellow uniforms are all that you need. Don't you remember what Worf said in the hit DS9 episode "Let He Who Is Without Sin..."? Starfleet uniforms are designed for comfort, even in the most extreme environments.

Meanwhile the Cardassians are constantly having to struggle with their own awkward and bulky uniforms while getting ambushed by Starfleet/Bajoran dudes in their comfy pajamas.

shadow puppet of a posted:

The Bajorans survived only on the harmonious goodwill and benevolent mercy of one Gull Dukat thank you very much.

Oh and that too, of course. :gowron:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Lol at the Federation having trained soldiers.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Kenzie posted:

Well the dudes in the yellow uniforms are all that you need. Don't you remember what Worf said in the hit DS9 episode "Let He Who Is Without Sin..."? Starfleet uniforms are designed for comfort, even in the most extreme environments.

Meanwhile the Cardassians are constantly having to struggle with their own awkward and bulky uniforms while getting ambushed by Starfleet/Bajoran dudes in their comfy pajamas.

Oh and that too, of course. :gowron:

I bet the Cardassian armour would be a lot more comfortable when it stops someone stabbing you in the guts (that is it would if it wasn't actually made of rubber).

"How do you like your pyjamas now?! "

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pneub posted:

Now that I think about it, Worf's the only person in the federation that knows how to do more than that dumb two-handed club move. Maybe being obsessed with 500-times folded Hanzo Steel is a good idea after all.

He trained in the lost art of Kirk Kwon Do

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Space combat in Trek only makes sense when you realize that ever since Star Trek 2, the whole thing was literally meant to be Horatio Hornblower in Space, with a large helping of Das Boot. That's why there are no fighters, FTL missiles, railguns or any somewhat sensible subspace-based weapons that could drop an enemy ten light years away. In order to be visually and dramatically interesting, you gotta have these large ships-of-the-line maneuvering around each other and firing broadsides IN SPACE! at each other.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
the federation would never issue their forces military kit/uniforms b/c it runs counter to its ideology of Peace And Exploration. its like how, even tho the enterprise is clearly going to be frequently called on to defend the federation, its stuffed to the gunnels with civilians and starfleet families. its "absolutely insane and criminally negligent" how the enterprise rolled up to wolf 359 with a full civilian complement on board, and continued to do so into the borg/dominion war era of "the safety of the fleet is obviously no longer a given". but to withdraw those civilians and start treating intergalactic threats seriously would be to call into question everything that underpins the federation. even the defiant-class ships (no family/civs, limited science/research capacity, lots of weapons) were designed in secret and only deployed on the frontier/where they were absolutely necessary.

just like w/ section 31, the federation bends over backwards incredibly hard to avoid acknowledging that they arent the dominant power in the quadrant via the sheer purity and goodness of their cause

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Uhh apart from the fact a rail gun fires a slug of solid metal which would just bounce off star trek shields? Same goes for missiles and any other crap, it's why all the weapons are energy based.

I'm mean I'm sure they come up with these bullshit ways to justify those odd occasions where torpedoes do get through shielding but if you're going to use they "but these this is what they would really use!" whine it comes up against the "easily stops all projectiles ever" force field.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i mean that huge ideological hang-up isnt really consciously written into the story, short of it being outlined piecemeal in DS9 without being directly confronted as a whole, but it betrays an ideological blindness on behalf of the writers, which happens to be just as interesting

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 26, 2015

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
"The enterprise isn't a war ship, it's a vessel of exploration"

Five minutes later

"Picard if the Cardassians attack the Enterprise will be the command ship for this sector"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kitchner posted:

There also isn't any "ground forces" they are just dudes in the yellow uniforms. Since the only half way competent security person you ever meet in a yellow uniform is Worf and everyone else gets bitch slapped

Hah. I remember that time in DS9 where Worf is bitching about how much better security was on the Enterprise and Odo just pulls out a Padd and starts listing all of the times that Worf let the ship get taken over.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
To be fair DS9 doesn't have a great track record either.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Cameo - Word Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjAantupsA

Geordie's in it!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kitchner posted:

Uhh apart from the fact a rail gun fires a slug of solid metal which would just bounce off star trek shields? Same goes for missiles and any other crap, it's why all the weapons are energy based.

And yet their ultimate last-ditch weapon? Ramming.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If their magic shields can stop a huge chunk of iron going at a significant fraction of C, they must use a hell of a lot of energy. And if phasers and torpedoes can get through them, they must use an insane amount of energy too. Enough that one hit without shields up would reduce any ship to a faint smear spread across half the solar system.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Phasers and torpedos only go through the shield if they match the energy phase or whatever technobabble which only really happens when you hire a man with a visor that would have been the downfall of the entire human race if geordi existed in the battlestar galactica reboot.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Powered Descent posted:

And yet their ultimate last-ditch weapon? Ramming.

It would be great to see someone ram their ship into their opponent and it basically just smash their ship to pieces while the other ship is unharmed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Entropic posted:

If their magic shields can stop a huge chunk of iron going at a significant fraction of C, they must use a hell of a lot of energy. And if phasers and torpedoes can get through them, they must use an insane amount of energy too.

You're assuming shields react to phasers the same as other things. I always figured phasers and other weapons aliens use were way better at battering down shields than other types of energy or matter.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Entropic posted:

If their magic shields can stop a huge chunk of iron going at a significant fraction of C, they must use a hell of a lot of energy. And if phasers and torpedoes can get through them, they must use an insane amount of energy too. Enough that one hit without shields up would reduce any ship to a faint smear spread across half the solar system.

I didn't realise you were an expert on force fields in real life.

You raise some very good points about how future space lasers would interact with future space forcefields and the hulls of future spaceships made out of future metal.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
In that DS9 episode "The Siege of AR-558, I got the impression they just beamed down the crew of the first starship that arrived, including captain/commander etc in order to hold the asteroid. Then when the deviant arrives a few months later, nearly everyone has been killed and the person in charge is the chief science officer who isn't even a soldier. If it was a galaxy class ship no doubt Starfleet would have ordered the ship's counselor, children and barber down to the planet to hold the asteroid for Starfleet. Long live the Federation!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Figaro posted:

In that DS9 episode "The Siege of AR-558, I got the impression they just beamed down the crew of the first starship that arrived, including captain/commander etc in order to hold the asteroid. Then when the deviant arrives a few months later, nearly everyone has been killed and the person in charge is the chief science officer who isn't even a soldier. If it was a galaxy class ship no doubt Starfleet would have ordered the ship's counselor, children and barber down to the planet to hold the asteroid for Starfleet. Long live the Federation!

Then this blue bald headed barber just came out of nowhere sarge! He just tore them apart with his bare hands! Slaughtered them like animals! He even bit off one of their noses!

And after he just asks if we wants a haircut calm as you like as if organs weren't splattered all over his uniform.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Starfleet doesn't have ground troops. It is a star fleet. the official fiction is that it is not even a military organization, but is for science, diplomacy and exploration. They're not exactly the loving space marines and the point is made surprisingly early and often in TNG and DS9 that they're really unprepared for a shooting war with other galactic empires. Both series take an oddly hawkish attitude to the federation given the supposedly lovey dovey utopian universe of Trek, the writers are repeatedly beating the drum for the fleet to nut up and get some big guns even as a lot of the characters insist that they didn't sign up to fight wars. From a dramatic point of view this makes sense as everyone loves the escalating drama of a war story, and it can be seen as a sort of unintentional geopolitical allegory for the waning of the optimism and end-of-history thinking that accompanied the end of the Cold War.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It would have been cool if the phasers were used to drop the shield and then torpedoes were used to damage the hull once the shields were down instead of two weapons that were basically used interchangeably.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

once you take away a hu-mon's replicator and holodeck and synthale and sonic showers they become remorseless killing monsters who wear test tubes around their necks.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
Why would the other powers even need to go into a shooting war anyways. Fed space is so vast that it's unlikely anyone could overtake all of it before the feds nut up and go into full war mode, which everyone from the romulans to the klingons acknowledged would be a bad thing. The cardassians were nothing comparatively but they still managed to bully, carve out and annex space. The romulan neutral zone always seemed understaffed.

It would have served everyone better if they just continued to take over fed space through aggressive diplomacy. If the founders continued to expand the cardassian empire diplomatically they prob would have become the major quadrant power in a few decades. If your enemy publicly prefers to roll over why would you force them to fight?

/sperg

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

skasion posted:

Starfleet doesn't have ground troops. It is a star fleet. the official fiction is that it is not even a military organization, but is for science, diplomacy and exploration. They're not exactly the loving space marines and the point is made surprisingly early and often in TNG and DS9 that they're really unprepared for a shooting war with other galactic empires. Both series take an oddly hawkish attitude to the federation given the supposedly lovey dovey utopian universe of Trek, the writers are repeatedly beating the drum for the fleet to nut up and get some big guns even as a lot of the characters insist that they didn't sign up to fight wars. From a dramatic point of view this makes sense as everyone loves the escalating drama of a war story, and it can be seen as a sort of unintentional geopolitical allegory for the waning of the optimism and end-of-history thinking that accompanied the end of the Cold War.

The fact is, though, the Federation exists and thrives BECAUSE it has the biggest, baddest guns of anyone else. Their weapons are always shown as just as good if not better than the alien of the week's best. The mirror universe Federation is enslaved and destroyed BECAUSE they dismantle their armory.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
It is pretty much acknowledged that the Federation is all round the most advanced civilisation tech wise. The only thing the others in the Alpha Quadrant have over them is cloaking technology.

Which is kinda the point, they could annihilate everyone but their own self restraint means they are all peaceful and poo poo. Which means they get bullied despite being stronger.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 26, 2015

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

This was like two pages ago and I can't believe no one has called you on it yet.

This reminded me of a painfully nerdy compare/contrast paper I wrote in high school. Star Trek and the age of sail and Star Wars and modern carrier warfare :eng99:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Entropic posted:

Ships in ds9 and the tos movies get holes blown in them all the time

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mike the TV posted:

Ships in ds9 and the tos movies get holes blown in them all the time

Of course they do, ships getting holes blown in them looks rad as hell.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Universe Master posted:

star trek ships even have a stun setting on their main phasers, and can target with centimeter precision from orbit

no need to ever have more than a handfull of guys in key locations on a planet as long as you've got a few ships in orbit.

According to one of the eager officers in the original pilot, one starship's phasers can wipe out an entire continent on a single pass, they don't even need a few ships, they could do it with one.

Kitchner posted:

:lol: competent. Worf got owned by a barrel

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 26, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

sinking belle posted:

Did ST ever cover the idea of a civilisation ~ascending to a higher plane of existence~ or w/e

Uh, did you see Star Trek: The Motion Picture? Remember the ending?

BTW it's a wonder the Feds didn't get invaded by all the aliens V'ger pissed off by digitizing their home worlds/solar systems, especially if they got as far as Kirk did.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

sinking belle posted:

Did ST ever cover the idea of a civilisation ~ascending to a higher plane of existence~ or w/e

This counts, yes?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

My Q-Face posted:

:lol: competent. Worf got owned by a barrel

I said half way competent

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Kitchner posted:

I said half way competent

What about Eddington? He was competent enough to fool the whole DS9 crew including Odo for 18 months. Then he beat and embarrassed Sisko repeatedly until Sisko went nuts and nerve gassed an entire planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Uh, did you see Star Trek: The Motion Picture? Remember the ending?

I have... and I don't... A remember a long long sequence of starship porn. I think some klingons getting blown up, a bald woman, "PHOTON TORPEEDOS... AWAAAAYYYY!!!!", and spock slowly drifting towards V'ger.

That is all I remember of TMP.

Edit: I've seen that movie atleast six times.

• Locked thread