Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Woolie Wool posted:

I personally hate pretty much all of the Quoth enemies, for instance
:hfive:

I can't really place why I don't like most of them, though. I suppose the additional grunts are okay, although some, like that new Knight, don't really seem to fill any particular niche that hadn't already been filled...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Forgive the double-post, but

czg posted:

Jackhammer is a modern rewrite of good old Worldcraft, and is pleasant and smooth to use for the most part.
I really want to like this, since I'm not a fan of Trenchbroom's unmodifiable control scheme and this one looks to be pretty close to Hammer's (which I'm slightly intimate with from a brief stint of TF2 map-making), but I don't think I can call randomly closing without any crash logs "pleasant and smooth to use".

Like, seriously, I'm having issues getting all the paths set up correctly for me to quickly compile maps and hop into Quakespasm without issue, and every time I alt-tab away to look at another window, by the time I'm ready to alt-tab back and try something out, I find Jackhammer's silently closed itself in the interim. This has happened 3-5 times in the span of the last hour. :geno:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Okay, the more I play Unloved the Doom 2 mod the more I recommend giving it a shot. If you do, make sure you set up the lighting options as outlined in the readme file, it really helps.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dominic White posted:

There is. Forsaken: Project X.

Includes the full game, which makes sense because both the developer and publisher are long defunct. Seldom has there been a stronger case for abandonware.
I downloaded this only to find I had already installed it, probably from the last time it was bought up. Derp.

Anyone got some good suggestions for a Dual Shock 4 control scheme?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Finally decided to start playing Quake for the first time, and I'm curious about the difficulty levels. I really like playing Doom on Ultra-Violence, is that equivalent to Quake's Hard or Nightmare?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Bethesda/Id are now on GOG, if that's your jam.

Doom 1, 2, Final Doom, Quake 1 and the Quake 1 expansions are in a bundle for 33% off.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

apophenium posted:

Finally decided to start playing Quake for the first time, and I'm curious about the difficulty levels. I really like playing Doom on Ultra-Violence, is that equivalent to Quake's Hard or Nightmare?

Quake doesn't really have anything quite like Doom Nightmare, so you could say that Quake Nightmare is equivalent to Doom UV. But I'd say start at Hard, playing Nightmare before you know the maps is going to get you killed an awful lot.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

For anyone wondering, the GOG edition of Quake comes with working CD audio.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Haha, nice. Do they mount a CD ISO or what?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Where'd that subtitle for Quake come from? I've literally never seen it anywhere before.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Elliotw2 posted:

Where'd that subtitle for Quake come from? I've literally never seen it anywhere before.

It was a box that came with Mission Pack 1/2, IIRC.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elliotw2 posted:

Maybe it's just the name of the GOG bundle. It actually comes with the Elder Scrolls 1 and 2 for those crazy people who want that.

E:

kirbysuperstar posted:

It was a box that came with Mission Pack 1/2, IIRC.

Or that.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Commander Keenan posted:

Worth buying for that alone honestly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Two things about that Bethesday GOG offering:

1) "... and you get Arena and Daggerfall for FREE when purchasing..." Uhh, those were free anyway. Are these GOG-ified?
2) Holy loving poo poo, is this the first time Battlespire and Redguard have been released since they originally came out? Does... does Redguard actually work??

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Tangentially related GOG Chat: It still pisses me off that the Jazz Jackrabbit games aren't on GOG. The only legal means of acquiring them are through eBay which is incredibly unreliable and incredibly inconvenient especially in the era of digital distribution. There's literally no reason for the games to not be on GOG.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
Good day for digital re-releases. Turok 1/2 are coming to Steam and GOG.

e: Link works.

SparkTR fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 26, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SparkTR posted:

Good day for digital re-releases. Turok 1/2 are coming to Steam.

:siren: :woop: CEREBRAL BORE :woop: :siren:

I'm super psyched for this, I've been wanting a Turok 2 rerelease for ages.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SparkTR posted:

Good day for digital re-releases. Turok 1/2 are coming to Steam.

I wonder if Kaiser's TurokEX project was roped into this, or if he's still in hiding?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It doesn't look like it's got any of the enhancements he was teasing at, and the original games work fine with nglide, so it's probably just a straight release.

edit: VV It comes in the GOG installer, but you can just run that through Wine to get the wad files out until they make an OSX/Linux package.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 26, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Will GOG be a valid solution for Linux users that want to pay for doom2.wad again and not be blocked from downloading it because they're not running windows?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Kins posted:

I wonder if Kaiser's TurokEX project was roped into this, or if he's still in hiding?

I don't know but I really hope he doesn't screw this up.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Geight posted:

Will GOG be a valid solution for Linux users that want to pay for doom2.wad again and not be blocked from downloading it because they're not running windows?

downloading the official IWADs is against the FOSS philosophy and breaks Stallman's heart, please use freedoom

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Geight posted:

You can download the game data files on Linux using steamcmd:

./steamcmd.sh +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows +login (user) (pass) +app_update 2300 +quit

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SparkTR posted:

Oh my god, praise be. Wonderful news.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

Those screenshots sure as hell look like his TurokEX engine.

In other news, I managed to find PowerslaveEX, and it is a TRAGEDY that this fell through, license-wise. It's a stonking port.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Segmentation Fault posted:

Tangentially related GOG Chat: It still pisses me off that the Jazz Jackrabbit games aren't on GOG. The only legal means of acquiring them are through eBay which is incredibly unreliable and incredibly inconvenient especially in the era of digital distribution. There's literally no reason for the games to not be on GOG.

*insert that guy from invasion of the body snatchers pointing here*
NERD!

When I think about Black Mesa, I'm reminded of a zero punctuation rant about overly masturbatory fan based game remakes and how they're not actually very good. The only thing the Black Mesa team has done has been to update Half life's graphics to Half life 2's standards, insert a bunch of pointless references to the squeal and other pop culture, jack up the difficulty to "ball-peen hammer to the genitals" level, and put it on steam.

I feel there's more they could have done with the engine, like interactions between the wild zen species that would have expanded on the feeling of an alien ecosystem invading black mesa.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

spongeh posted:

./steamcmd.sh +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows +login (user) (pass) +app_update 2300 +quit

I don't actually use Linux because I have a job and am clean-shaven, but I'll pass this along to my buddies thanks :cheers:

Geight fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 26, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Geight posted:

I don't actually use Linux because I have a job and am clean-shaven, but I'll pass this along to my buddies thanks :cheers:

Oh. Oh nice. :golfclap:

I use a mac, but don't wear turtlenecks, thick-rimmed glasses, nor do I look down on others based on their musical preferences.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

spongeh posted:

Neat trick!

Do you know if there's a similar thing on OS X? I briefly tried this out with steam.sh there but it doesn't seem to care about those command-line arguments.

e: VVVV thanks! Tried it out, works like a charm. (On OS X the game is stored under ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common)

JLaw fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 26, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Johnny Law posted:

Neat trick!

Do you know if there's a similar thing on OS X? I briefly tried this out with steam.sh there but it doesn't seem to care about those command-line arguments.

I'm also interested in this; I wish Steam just let me download the games I own even if I can't natively run them. And no, I'm not going to bother installing Steam through WINE or VMWare or something.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

SteamCMD is not part of the normal Steam client, it's a separate download. It's mostly meant for installing dedicated servers, but nothing's stopping you from using it like this.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SparkTR posted:

Oh my god.

Oh my loving god.

I hope these aren't just straight up ports of the original PC versions because they weren't without their problems. Turok 2 PC was mostly okay, but the original was steamy hot garbage compared to the N64 version.

The hi-fi soundtracks were hella nice though, even if the console versions did sound better in places.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType works in the Steam client console, but it's likely to make a mess of things (it will probably invalidate all the games you have installed) Grab steamcmd for Mac, as suggested. Should be able to do it there.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Does anyone here knows if the GOG version of Quake comes with soundtrack?

VVV :tipshat: I actually own two original copies of Q1, but good to know there is finally definitive digital version of the game. Hooray for GOG!

laserghost fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 26, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

laserghost posted:

Someone on this very page, in fact! Download away my friend.

Commander Keenan posted:

SparkTR
May 6, 2009

laserghost posted:

VVV :tipshat: I actually own two original copies of Q1, but good to know there is finally definitive digital version of the game. Hooray for GOG!

Why was that not in the Steam release. If it was due to technical issues, how did GOG fix it?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

FWIW, the GOG installers can also be unpacked (and the IWADs grabbed) by using innoextract, like most other GOG titles.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SparkTR posted:

Why was that not in the Steam release. If it was due to technical issues, how did GOG fix it?
The Steam release is just Id's original Windows ports. Those relied on CD Redbook audio for music, and apparently whoever Id got to bundle things up didn't work around it.

I don't have the GOG version, but the GOG team have a pretty mature arsenal of wrappers and hacks to replace CD music with OGG files, even in long-abandoned closed-source games like Outlaws, so they probably used those.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

The Steam release is just Id's original Windows ports. Those relied on CD Redbook audio for music, and apparently whoever Id got to bundle things up didn't work around it.

I don't have the GOG version, but the GOG team have a pretty mature arsenal of wrappers and hacks to replace CD music with OGG files, even in long-abandoned closed-source games like Outlaws, so they probably used those.

I learned my lesson from Steam releases of old games like Dark Forces and Quake: If the game is older than 15 or so years, get the GOG version. For the love of God get the GOG version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

SparkTR posted:

That's an interesting question... I'll check it out later if no one beats me to it. Someone on func_msgboard says that the download size is too small to be a CD ISO, so they might have done something like http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113399618 ?? Although that would be a little... janky. If it's not too gross a solution then maybe they'll come back and fix up the Steam release too...