Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

External HDD are just regular hard drives in an enclosure. If you take it out of the enclosure you can plug it into your computer as an internal hard drive.

Not always, some external drives have USB built into the controller instead of a SATA connector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Also what style they're singing. Screamo will wear you out quicker (both in a given session and across the length of a career) than singing opera or folksongs in a coffee shop.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

If I'm following the words on the screen properly this song is about a drug dealer who is living it up, gets with a hot chick and brings her into the drug dealing/cooking lifestyle. And they lived happily ever after.

So I guess the message is "Drugs are awesome, and profitable, so do drugs today"?

Volcott posted:

For how long can someone who sings professionally perform before they become hoarse?

If they keep themselves from overdoing it by not going too hard or too loud, drinking lots of water, and have been doing it long enough that they know what the hell they are doing, probably 1-2 hours. But every pro singer is different.

E:B

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
My mum is a pro singer so I know a lot of pro singers and it really varies. Within the :airquote: classical :airquote: field (NB: not Opera):

Soloists might do entire recitals where they are the main focus, but this is pretty rare and as far as I can recall I've only seen this happen for pretty short concerts. More commonly it seems that soloists are brought into a concert programme to sing bits of pieces that require their voice type, and the amount they sing can vary a great deal from just a few minutes to several lengthy pieces.

Some :airquote: classical :airquote: singers do a lot of work in vocal ensembles where they will be part of a small-medium group and they will do whole concerts of vocal music with or without instrumental accompaniment. In these cases the singers will be singing most of the time so while they are not the main focus they are still having to concentrate and work hard on being part of an ensemble. Some musicians might even say this is harder than getting up and doing a big solo thing. It's not strictly answering the question about becoming hoarse but these groups often tour and perform together a lot so they can keep it up for 90 minutes or more without it wearing them out vocally.

The reason I keep doing the :airquote: classical :airquote: thing is that while most people refer to this musical sub genre as classical it is really Baroque and it's very different to the later classical and Classical genres. It's also very very different to Opera in which main characters might be involved in most of the arias and recits in an entire piece and so could potentially be on stage and singing for the best part of two hours (or even longer in some particularly wacky cases.)

Also every singer I know is insanely careful about taking care of their vocal health and most subscribe to a crazy variety of health practices and remedies that looks remarkably to me like superstition. Certainly you can get very contradictory practices from one singer to another. My mum for instance avoids dairy products like the plague because they 'make her croaky' whereas one of her colleagues used to swear by eating ice cream to soothe the vocal chords. Most singers freak the gently caress out about smoking and being near smokers, but some (particularly deep voiced men) have been smoking for their entire careers - although maybe that's just cheating!

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 25, 2015

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a microphone megathread? I figure there must be but I couldn't find it. Looking to get a decent mic for playing online games. I'm not planning to spend a fortune but I don't want a voice of nothing but static either. I've never owned anything so much as a headset so I have no idea how to pick a good mic or what would be comfortable for 3+ hour sessions.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Sarrisan posted:

Is there a microphone megathread? I figure there must be but I couldn't find it. Looking to get a decent mic for playing online games. I'm not planning to spend a fortune but I don't want a voice of nothing but static either. I've never owned anything so much as a headset so I have no idea how to pick a good mic or what would be comfortable for 3+ hour sessions.

Sony gold headset.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Is there a thread about being an Uber driver and the like? I don't have search capability on my phone and don't want to start a new thread if all of my questions have already been answered.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Skunkrocker posted:

Is there a thread about being an Uber driver and the like? I don't have search capability on my phone and don't want to start a new thread if all of my questions have already been answered.

Let's just cut the bullshit: do not do it unless someone else is going to pay for your car's maintenance, repair, and gas. Especially do not do it if you don't live right in a major city. And if you do decide to do it anyway, never use the leases/auto loans Uber tries to push on you, those are super scammy with awful rates/costs.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Lawnie posted:

Sony gold headset.

This looks like exactly what I was aiming at. Thanks.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Let's just cut the bullshit: do not do it unless someone else is going to pay for your car's maintenance, repair, and gas. Especially do not do it if you don't live right in a major city. And if you do decide to do it anyway, never use the leases/auto loans Uber tries to push on you, those are super scammy with awful rates/costs.

I live in a major city and own my own vehicle. That said I don't know if Uber or any of these other companies compensate for fuel.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Skunkrocker posted:

I live in a major city and own my own vehicle. That said I don't know if Uber or any of these other companies compensate for fuel.

Uber does not compensate you for anything (gas, insurance, etc), nor do the other app companies. Also your car has to be no older than the 2006 model year to be accepted, and in some areas the oldest model year allowed is 2011, so you might not own the correct car anyway.

There are currently court cases pending that will force them to pay for gas/upkeep at standard federal reimbursement rates per mile, and force them to keep to a minimum wage while you're ready to give rides, but neither is in effect yet.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Turtlicious posted:

wait are therapists and psychologists the same thing?

In the U.S., therapists are people who are licensed to provide mental health therapy. They can include psychologists (usually with a Ph. D or PsyD degree), licensed mental health counselors (usually with a master's degree), and licensed social workers.

Psychiatrists have an MD or DO degree. Some psychiatrists provide mental health therapy in addition to prescribing and monitoring medication, though that is becoming rarer and rarer.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
How often are more books added to the Kindle store? What's the chance of books that came out 10 or 20 years ago being added to the store?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Swan Curry posted:

How often are more books added to the Kindle store? What's the chance of books that came out 10 or 20 years ago being added to the store?

There's new stuff added every day it seems. Chances of any particular old book showing up depends on whether the publisher sees interest and has access to an electronic version already. Books that never had an electronic version ted to eventually show up, but it can take a lot longer.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Skunkrocker posted:

There's a thread in BFC for this.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653178

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Swan Curry posted:

It depends. Publishers are gradually adding backlist books, but it's not a priority. In the cases where the rights have reverted to the authors, it depends how motivated they are.

Clicking the "tell the publisher you want this book on Kindle" button isn't entirely useless, but if the author(s) are still alive, hunting out their email address and sending them a note might actually be more effective.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Why do gas prices fluctuate so wildly in the same city? I lived in a smaller town growing up and the gas prices were almost always the same at all 10 or so gas stations we had. I also lived in Minneapolis and noticed some variation, but nothing too wild.

I am in Denver now though and it is ridiculous. There is a gas station 4 blocks south of me with gas for $3.27. There is a different station 1 mile to the north with gas for $2.79. That's 48 cents difference and they are only a mile and a half apart. I've noticed this all over the city and I can't find a pattern. I thought that lower income areas usually had higher gas prices, but I've seen cheap/expensive prices in both the good and bad parts of town. Is there something else driving this? It seems ridiculous in a time where we have all kinds of websites and apps reporting gas prices that it would be beneficial to sell your gas for 48 cents more than a place just a mile and a half away. (note: I know those apps aren't always right, but I was actually at both of the stations I mention above and saw the prices)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Generally if you're in an area with lower gas prices than usual and there are a lot of gas stations around there, it's because one of the stations is owned by a person/company that's intentionally lowering their prices to drive customers to them, and the other stations around have to try to get close to not lose out on business a lot.

Separately, sometimes a gas station will just randomly insist on having a very high gas price for the area for no apparent reason. In my hometown, there's this Gulf station by the mall that's always +40 cents above any nearby gas station. Some people say that those stations are kept going because they're actually money laundering fronts, or simply because they managed to work out exclusive deals to fuel company trucks or whatever for another company.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Why don't we have elbowcaps?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

We didn't evolve to have them. That's it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lawnie posted:

We didn't evolve to have them. That's it.

Ahem.

I think you'll find the reason is that the Good Lord decided we didn't need them when he designed us, since we don't pray on our elbows.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

spog posted:

Ahem.

I think you'll find the reason is that the Good Lord decided we didn't need them when he designed us, since we don't pray on our elbows.

Speak for yourself #YogaPrayer

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

How do Cypress Hill not get busted on, like, an hourly basis?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

stubblyhead posted:

Limb length. We crawl around as infants on our kneecaps, therefore we evolved cartilaginous and, in later life, hard kneecaps to protect that joint. We don't crawl around on our elbows, so having elbowcaps would be a waste of resources and an unnecessary restrictor to elbow flexibility.

edit: this is wrong, see below.

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 28, 2015

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i'm travelling for the next 10 days. i'll be sleeping on couches at friends' places. what's the best way to keep my clothes wrinkle-free? is there a pocket iron or steamer worth a drat? i'll have t-shirts and collared shirts.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Abel Wingnut posted:

so i'm travelling for the next 10 days. i'll be sleeping on couches at friends' places. what's the best way to keep my clothes wrinkle-free? is there a pocket iron or steamer worth a drat? i'll have t-shirts and collared shirts.

It's harder to find now than a decade ago, but Downey Wrinkle Releaser is some amazing poo poo. It'll be located in the laundry soap area of grocery stores / Walmarts and basically you just spray it on wrinkled clothes, pull on them a bit, and the wrinkles vanish. Doesn't look as good as freshly pressed clothing (the final look is roughly equivalent to clothes fresh out of the dryer), but for how easy it is, it's a truly remarkable product.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 28, 2015

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

How do Cypress Hill not get busted on, like, an hourly basis?

What are the police going to do, follow them around waiting for them to smoke a joint so they can arrest a couple dudes for possession? They wouldn't really care unless they thought they were involved in distribution.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

Limb length. We crawl around as infants on our kneecaps, therefore we evolved cartilaginous and, in later life, hard kneecaps to protect that joint. We don't crawl around on our elbows, so having elbowcaps would be a waste of resources and an unnecessary restrictor to elbow flexibility.

OK but what about all the other species of animal (like almost all the mammals for instance) that also have a kneecap but no elbowcap?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

El Jeffe posted:

What are the police going to do, follow them around waiting for them to smoke a joint so they can arrest a couple dudes for possession? They wouldn't really care unless they thought they were involved in distribution.

Plus they have enough legitimate income to be able to fight a case in court, whereas your typical distributor of narcotics probably does not.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

It's harder to find now than a decade ago, but Downey Wrinkle Releaser is some amazing poo poo. It'll be located in the laundry soap area of grocery stores / Walmarts and basically you just spray it on wrinkled clothes, pull on them a bit, and the wrinkles vanish. Doesn't look as good as freshly pressed clothing (the final look is roughly equivalent to clothes fresh out of the dryer), but for how easy it is, it's a truly remarkable product.

This poo poo owns but if you're flying it's not viable.

Op: look up the one bag folding method. It seems kinda dumb but it works by avoiding hard crease lines.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Abel Wingnut posted:

If all else fails, hang the clothes you are going to put in the bathroom while you are taking your hot shower.

It's not perfect, but it'll do in a pinch.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Why don't your friends have irons?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

thanks for the responses.

they might have irons, haven't asked. i was also just curious because it seems like a thing we would have figured out by now. and it'd be convenient even at home.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

stubblyhead posted:

OK but what about all the other species of animal (like almost all the mammals for instance) that also have a kneecap but no elbowcap?

Welp, looks like I was reading some old research and have led the thread astray. It's not about protection at all, it's about mechanical advantage. Having the patellar tendon pull on a point further away from the pivot of the joint allows for stronger knee extension. It follows that that is probably why mammals have kneecaps as well, to get more out of their limbs, and because front limbs have lesser requirements for strength and speed than hind limbs, they never evolved kneecaps.

Here's some reading, http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/biomechanics_of_the_patello_femoral_joint

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I left some corn, cheese tortellini, and meatless sauce out overnight in Tupperware. Is it going to kill me if I eat it?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
No.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

hooah posted:

I left some corn, cheese , and meatless sauce out overnight in Tupperware. Is it going to kill me if I eat it?

It definitely won't kill you just reheat it properly.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

You can also fold the collared shirts into a garment sleeve - eagle creek makes a small one I use all the time, because I travel like a grungy motherfucker even on work trips.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Generally if you're in an area with lower gas prices than usual and there are a lot of gas stations around there, it's because one of the stations is owned by a person/company that's intentionally lowering their prices to drive customers to them, and the other stations around have to try to get close to not lose out on business a lot.

Separately, sometimes a gas station will just randomly insist on having a very high gas price for the area for no apparent reason. In my hometown, there's this Gulf station by the mall that's always +40 cents above any nearby gas station. Some people say that those stations are kept going because they're actually money laundering fronts, or simply because they managed to work out exclusive deals to fuel company trucks or whatever for another company.

Also, location can play a big part. I live in a bedroom community and all the gas stations located near the freeway on-ramps are also about 20-30 cents more than the ones located in random corners of the city. They know that people are willing to pay a higher price if it means they don't have to backtrack on their commute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Idk if it's different in the US but I live in an affluent area and there can be a big difference in fuel prices here and in less wealthy areas nearby.