Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Girl wasn't even "dating" him it seems like their relationship was almost exclusively text and phone based. She just wanted to be responsible for someone killing themselves and then reap the attention afterwards by pretending to have been close to him

That said trying juveniles as adults is really loving stupid and negates the whole idea of juvenile court in the first place. You can't just decide to prosecute a child ad an adult because their case is deemed exceptional or had a lot of media attention or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
They seem to have done it only so they can give her a lengthier sentence if she's convicted. Bizarre.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

WickedHate posted:

This is so hosed up, especially since in a town near me there were two fourteen year olds who were tried as juviniles and did seven years for a school shooting where they killed five people(oh, and one molested a toddler and killed a cat before).

Am I like the 3rd person on the last 3 pages to type holy poo poo? :catstare:

The Slenderman verdict is absolutely ridiculous. Not only are they only 12 years old, one of the girls has early onset schizophrenia.

"... “Morgan said, 'Well if he told me,' meaning Slender Man, 'if he told me to hurt more people, I'd have to do it. If he told me to break into someone's house and stab them, I would have to do it,’” he said at the hearing.

If convicted in a juvenile court, Geyser could receive mental health treatment until she is 18. In an adult court, she may not receive treatment at all, FOX 6 Now explained."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/slender-man-stabbing-suspect-hurt-people-article-1.2263797

Isn't this literally where the insanity plea applies? If she legit thought that she was doing it out of some kind of self-preservation? Or do you have to not know what you're doing is wrong?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sarcopenia posted:

Am I like the 3rd person on the last 3 pages to type holy poo poo? :catstare:

It was a pretty horrible case, and a miscarriage of justice.

It makes it all the more infuriating the literal children in the Slenderman case are being tried as "adults", because all the judge cares about is locking them up. It makes my blood boil.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

So you can kill people and blame memes? Neato.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Its pretty unnerving that the Golden kid from the school shooting was caught trying to buy a concealed handgun permit in 2008. God only knows what he gets up to these days.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Decrepus posted:

A lot of wackjobs think Slenderman is a real being that now exists in the world, even though they're also completely aware it was made up on the SA forums.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Most unnerving thing I've read today:

quote:

The "chopping" ritual is carried out in a carnival-like atmosphere with an assembled crowd cheering and jeering as the condemned are brought to a city square. A section of honor in the square is reserved for the children of foreign fighters.

The sons of foreign fighters are expected to cheer and jeer the loudest. They're being trained, both Ahmed and Mohammed say, to be elite members of ISIS's next generation of suicide bombers and foreign terrorists. Sometimes the sons of foreign fighters carry out executions themselves, erasing their respect for human life while they're still impressionable.

Mohammed's punishment was to have his opposing limbs cut off: his right hand (considered in Islamic culture to the "clean" hand) and his left foot. ISIS attempts to make the horrific ritual appear hygienic. The ISIS members who held Mohammed's limbs in place wore surgical gloves and squirted iodine on his hand and foot. Mohammed says he was given an injection. He doesn't know what it was but says he was told it would calm him down.

ISIS members tied Mohammed's arm and leg with tourniquets to cut off the blood flow to his hand and foot. The purpose of the amputations is not to kill the victim, but maim him forever. The tourniquets were left on for about 15 minutes. Then, Mohammed's arm was stretched out on a block of wood. A large meat cleaver was placed on top of his wrist at the point where the cut would be made. A man with a mallet smashed the back of the cleaver so it would cut straight through bone and flesh. Mohammed and three others identified the man who carried out the punishment as an Iraqi from ISIS's "chopping committee" known by the nickname "The Bulldozer."

The first chop was met with celebratory cries of Allahu Akbar — God is greatest.' The ritual was repeated to cut off his foot. Mohammed was then taken to an ISIS clinic where his skin was stretched and sewn over the stumps. Mohammed's mother picked him up from the clinic, brought him home and smuggled him to Turkey a few days later.

Mohammed is 14.

quote:

Ahmed today is trying to make his way in Turkey, one of around two million Syrian refugees in the country.

Mohammed doesn't have enough money for the medical and psychological care he badly needs. His brother and the family friend who nurses him do the best they can with the help of a few generous Turks. Mohammed was disfigured by ISIS only two weeks ago. He cries every time his bandages are changed. He has nightmares, wets his bed and gets confused. Last week, he forgot his foot was missing and fell down the stairs of the building where he is living. His brother takes him outside every day to get some fresh air.

"I can only sleep after I take sleeping pills," Mohammed said. "The most difficult time is when I go to sleep. The pain starts. In the daytime, I sit in the street and watch the people passing by to forget the pain."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-uncovered/isis-brutalizes-boys-create-army-child-soldiers-victims-say-n415806

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any more depressing. :smith:

That's loving horrifying.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sarcopenia posted:

Isn't this literally where the insanity plea applies? If she legit thought that she was doing it out of some kind of self-preservation? Or do you have to not know what you're doing is wrong?

"Insanity" is a legal distinction. It basically boils down to an inability to differentiate between right and wrong. Even a person that is delusional and suffering hallucinations can be deemed "sane" if they are still aware that the actions they are taking are illegal and "wrong". From a legal perspective they are not "insane".

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Welp, I was wondering which article would make me swear off reading this thread for a while, and that Mohammed one's it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Zero One posted:

quote:

Mohammed and three others identified the man who carried out the punishment as an Iraqi from ISIS's "chopping committee" known by the nickname "The Bulldozer."

Oh poo poo

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
I don't remember if I've posted this before, but I couldn't find anything. My apologies if I did.

When I was a kid, we lived in an old redstone house in Eveleth known as "The Castle" It was 3 stories with a basement in a Queen Anne style.

This is the actual house. It's on the national historic registry. Any Iron Ranger would recognize it. The front doors had leaded glass when we lived there.

The local legend, was that there was once a woman that kidnapped children by luring them into the house with treats and such. She would keep them in a secret room underneath the porch that is visible in the picture above. People under the stairs style. As they aged, she would sew them new clothes. She used the third floor tower as her sewing room. The story says that she eventually died and the children died as well in the secret room.

Rumor always had it that people would see lights in the tower turn on at night and see a woman using a sewing machine in the middle of the night. I never liked to go up there and we didn't really use the 3rd floor for anything as it was more space than we needed.

Either way, it was a creepy thing. I used to search around the house for secret passages all the time but never found anything. I could tell though, that the entire basement was re-plastered at one time and something had been covered up.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

no he doesn't

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

M42 posted:

Welp, I was wondering which article would make me swear off reading this thread for a while, and that Mohammed one's it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ravenkult posted:

no he doesn't

They forgot the disclaimer at the bottom:

* - usage in this case denotes posing for pictures only.

Otherwise I want to see the footage where he fires that thing and breaks both of his arms while the barrel flies up and burns his face off. Or he spins uncontrollably to the side he's holding that monster killing all his comrades on his flank. And still breaking his arms.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Guys, I don't think an ISIS warlord who cuts of little boy's hands and feet is a reliable source of his own accomplishments.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
That's the insurgent version of a 300 pound greasy nerd posing with his katanas in his mother's basement.

Except, y'know, the huge nerd is a psychopath who kills and tortures people, so nobody's going to call him on the fact that he's clearly compensating for something.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Is there somewhere to donate to help with the costs of his treatment? I may not be able to spare much but goddamn.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wiggy Marie posted:

Is there somewhere to donate to help with the costs of his treatment? I may not be able to spare much but goddamn.

I dunno. Most humanitarian efforts end up costing an arm and a leg.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I don't know about contributing to him directly, since NBC worked to keep him semi-anonymous. You might try contacting NBC to see what they say.

Otherwise you might want to look up charities that work with the Syrian refuges. D&D might be a better place to ask about that.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wasabi the J posted:

I dunno. Most humanitarian efforts end up costing an arm and a leg.

:ohdear:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kimmalah posted:

A lot of wackjobs think Slenderman is a real being that now exists in the world, even though they're also completely aware it was made up on the SA forums.

lol people don't know what SA is anymore. gently caress, they probably don't know what forums are either.

Buh
May 17, 2008

Decrepus posted:

No but if you're a child with one of the most severe brain problems possible it shouldn't be made completely impossible for you to get treated.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

gun violence is pretty unnerving.
Edit: the article does have the video inside. Use caution when clicking if you don't like seeing people get shot and screaming for their lives.

A reporter and photographer were shot to death on live TV this morning during an interview for seemingly no reason. Gunman on the loose. :ohdear:

Don't worry we don't have a gun problem.

CompactFanny has a new favorite as of 14:49 on Aug 26, 2015

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

CompactFanny posted:

A reporter and photographer were shot to death on live TV this morning during an interview for seemingly no reason. Gunman on the loose. :ohdear:

Came here to post about this. Don't click that link unless you want to see a cameraman and reporter die. They've both succumbed to their injuries.

Just... Jesus Christ. What the hell is wrong with people?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

wyntyr posted:

Came here to post about this. Don't click that link unless you want to see a cameraman and reporter die. They've both succumbed to their injuries.

Just... Jesus Christ. What the hell is wrong with people?

Guns are widely available and easy to get.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

wyntyr posted:

Don't click that link unless you want to see a cameraman and reporter die.

:nws::nms:Seriously. I immediately regret watching that video. Don't click. :nws::nms:

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

CompactFanny posted:

Edit: the article does have the video inside. Use caution when clicking if you don't like seeing people get shot and screaming for their lives.

gently caress

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

This is hosed up beyond belief

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

A better version that's not as intentionally creepy. Looks like an apron that might be identifiable.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

edit: Double post

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

SLOSifl posted:

A better version that's not as intentionally creepy. Looks like an apron that might be identifiable.

This is no less creepy than the first one

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Frostwerks posted:

lol people don't know what SA is anymore. gently caress, they probably don't know what forums are either.

Well they're not posters, but I've definitely heard people talking about Slender Man and how it was made up on some weird forum called Something Awful. Then usually some poo poo about tulpas and thought forms follows.

SLOSifl posted:

If you're talking about that big reddish thing I think that's just a reflection from a screen or some kind of artifacting.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 15:30 on Aug 26, 2015

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

^^^ lol drat YOUR EDITS

SLOSifl posted:

Much clearer pic.

I'm no video-tech-guy but those lines look to perfect to be an apron. Maybe it is some type of glare. It wouldn't be surprising though if it is an employee of that place.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
It looks nothing like an apron to me. If it is it's a very irregular shape for an apron.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

On a second look I agree. Something about the pattern looked like a kitchen apron, ominously flapping in the wind like an evil front-cape.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I know this is kinda unorthodox for this thread but I got kinda sick to my stomach and really bummed out when I watched that video so I looked up a compilation of people being kickass real-life heroes and it made me feel better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMYrIi_Mt8A

There's a few with people falling and I assume getting hurt but they all have a happy ending!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Well the big clue is the fact that it's not present at all in any of the other screenshots and I didn't notice it in that video in the article either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Jesus, that's insane. I guess the suspect is being chased north on i81 according to that article, Hopefully no one else dies.

Here's something that happened right down the road from me:
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/04/21/nyregion/landlord-held-in-the-deaths-of-five-men-in-connecticut.html

A crazy landlord, Geoff Ferguson, got pissed off that a check bounced (among other things) so he drove up from North Carolina and shot the 5 people and in the house (three tenants and 2 friends) then set the house on fire to try to cover it up. The guy had specifically threatened that if there were *any* problems he would drive up with a gun, and there were tons of issues with the house itself that the landlord refused to fix, such as non-working plumbing so the tenants had to use an outhouse.
Before his killing spree he went a bit nuts. Evicted the tenants, stole a bunch of stuff and trashed the place. Of course the guys went to the cops. A warrant was put out for Geoff, and he snapped.
One of the tenants survived long enough to tell the emergency responders that the landlord did it - after being shot in the head and burned terribly.

These guys were a lot like me and my friends; liked jamming, hanging out, and wanted to live in peace. The fact that someone in a small, close community could snap and kill everyone in my house because of a perceived slight is unnerving, to say the least.
Also, the people that used to live in my current house pissed off a lot of people (one kid was hired to whack what turned out to be an undercover cop), and I've had dudes smash my mailbox, drive up at night and peel out when I go out to see what's up, park at the bottom of my driveway, etc. There's always that thought in the back of my mind that someone may want some street justice and harm the people here because they're idiots and don't realize the old tenants left years ago.

E: "He was not a good student," Mr. Froehlich said. "He smoked cigarettes and I often got on him for the wrong reasons. But David had more friends than I ever had. He was always up, always smiling. I was after him about things he didn't do. I'm sorry to say I missed the things he did, and now he's gone."

The Gasmask has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Aug 26, 2015