Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They never make that kind of thing clear in gameplay is the thing. The information is there but the game itself does not do a good job of supporting that stuff. I don't think the Hunt's motivation is very clear when you've only played this game because it does not tell you everything and what it shows you contradicts what it says a lot of the time, like in act 2 where the battle for Kaer Morhen involves everyone talking about how the Wild Hunt will bring an army and they need a lot of people to win and in act 3 where you need help from both Skellige and Nilfgaard to fight on equal terms. It might not be everything that they can bring to bear on you, but the game's only concession to that sort of thing is the support of the two other high ranking Aen Elle that support Eredin. After you deal with them he's cut off from support, but he does have an army on his giant ship already. I feel like the Wild Hunt is probably the weakest link in the story since it's a constant thread across the whole narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They do, comparatively, bring an army, compared to the defenders of Kaer Morhen. Though I don't remember the word "army" being used specifically. The need to have large human forces combat them is more to do with the effectiveness of the Hunt than their numbers. You never see more of them than could fit on the Naglfar. I guess by video game standards you could call that an army, because so few people ever appear on screen at once in RPGs?

I imagine if you've only played TW3 it's pretty confusing though, yeah, since most of the stuff about the Hunt's nature comes from TW2 or the books.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Fishstick posted:

He really loved her, built a creepy shrine, and was prepared to kill himself over it - so maybe either outcome here is a happy ending?

I mean it was obvious the Pesta was lying in some way especially after it attacks you in an emotional outburst. So I never saw the result where you take her remains to him. I figured he'd want to free his love from a curse so I brought him of his own free will. Dude has more balls than I approaching that thing. Fortunately enough she p much instantly turned into her human form. Then again, now knowing he was suicidal over it, maybe it was a way out and make things right.

In the other ending is it clear that they're together or does she just kill him in a rage and that's it? If so, it seems like that ending isn't happy at all.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So, in the previous games, was Wild Hunt a thing that Yen or Geralt a part of? I've only played TW3, they've made so many references to Geralt being a part of the Wild Hunt but I thought that was cut content in TW3.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Between the book and the first game Yen is captured by the Wild Hunt, then Geralt and Letho try to find them. Geralt offers to be a part of the Hunt instead of Yen. He's later saved by Ciri and has amnesia. Witcher games happen after this.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Doctor Butts posted:

So, in the previous games, was Wild Hunt a thing that Yen or Geralt a part of? I've only played TW3, they've made so many references to Geralt being a part of the Wild Hunt but I thought that was cut content in TW3.

Probably easiest just to watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDm3AqmVUKk

It's all of Geralt's flashbacks as he gradually recovers his memory in TW2.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Regarding Ciri taking Nilfgaard throne: remember it's fantasy feudal non-Europe, so your bloodline is very important. Rulers of noble blood will talk only with other rulers, and Vorhees' people may be rich and powerful but I imagine all those kingdoms have at least one family that can equal to them, for example old royal family that was taken one step down in the ladder when Emhyr took them over.

Now let's look at Ciri's family tree:

Elves, Skelligers, ruling families of most of Northern Kingdoms. Her grandmother is beloved Queen Calanthe 'Lioness of Cintra'. Add the connections Emhyr's family has and she's a perfect candidate even if noone knows she saved the world, or she has a hot temper.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Calanthe's bloodline is full of incest and potential bastardy. Women aren't even allowed to inherit in Cintra.

Plus there's good reasons Nilfgaardians would consider a bunch of Nordling ties a minus, not a plus.

EDIT: Also that family tree is inaccurate. Although that's a plus since it's the more well known version. No one wants one of Falka's descendants in any kind of position of power. Except maybe Francesca Findabair, in the hopes it will wipe out all the dhoine.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 26, 2015

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Calanthe's bloodline is full of incest and potential bastardy. Women aren't even allowed to inherit in Cintra.

It didn't stop Calanthe from ruling, and succession laws change is but one nobles' meeting vote.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Calanthe ruled through sheer force of personality and she still couldn't get the nobles in Cintra to alter the succession laws, and not for lack of trying.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Calanthe ruled through sheer force of personality and she still couldn't get the nobles in Cintra to alter the succession laws, and not for lack of trying.

After Nilfgaard invasion I'm sure those couple of nobles left would be easier to convince.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
True. Cintra's nobility is probably not particularly politically relevant anymore.

I'm just saying her pedigree isn't as good as it first appears, especially in Nilfgaard. Even more so if someone were to make it known that Fiona was Falka's daughter, not Adela.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm sure there'd be a lot of people that scoff at having Elves in general, magic users or unwashed northern savages as ancestors too. We're most likely to see a game set in Kovir or Zerrikania before Nilfgaard too, and even if there's one I'm sure it won't be cool cloak and dagger intrigue one with possible civil war and Empire Electors crisis too. Come to think of it, how likely are we to see another game in that setting anyway? CDP Red is all about CyberPunk now, which will take them probably another 3 years. Were there any hints about something in Witcher universe after those 2 expansions?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The only reason CDPR wouldn't make more games in this setting eventually is if they hate money.

In interviews they've said they have an "interesting concept" but they're giving it a rest for awhile because they're, understandably, burned out on medieval slavo-celto-german mythology.

Zerrikania has almost nothing written about it so if CDPR wanted to do something there they might as well just make a new setting. Kovir is still in the Northern Realms, not that far away. Also one of the endings is pretty obvious sequel bait. There's still stuff to do with Ciri.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

They already built in sequel potential by having multiple schools of witchers, and characters like lambert, eskel, letho, etc. All you have to do is make a new main character who is a witcher from the Cat school or whatever, and go from there. People know the basics of the setting now, and its not hard to rope a witcher in to intrigue by having some contract turn out to be linked to politics or other general nastiness.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Good points. I should check where CDP people chill after work and booze someone up.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

WoodrowSkillson posted:

They already built in sequel potential by having multiple schools of witchers, and characters like lambert, eskel, letho, etc. All you have to do is make a new main character who is a witcher from the Cat school or whatever, and go from there. People know the basics of the setting now, and its not hard to rope a witcher in to intrigue by having some contract turn out to be linked to politics or other general nastiness.

God please don't make the protagonist a Cat School witcher.

EDIT:
I mean, unless the game you're making is "kill all innocents you see simulator 1260".

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 26, 2015

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

JetsGuy posted:

In the other ending is it clear that they're together or does she just kill him in a rage and that's it? If so, it seems like that ending isn't happy at all.

If you bring the remains to him, the quest ends and the curse is lifted and everything seems fine with the fisherman alive. When you walk out of his hut, there's a scream. If you check the hut out again he's now very much dead. If you miss the scream and/or don't go back into his hut you'd be none the wiser

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

JetsGuy posted:

God please don't make the protagonist a generic, player created witcher.

fixed

There are tons of other RPGs I can play for the tabula rasa thing. I want an established character. Ciri would be cool.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

JetsGuy posted:

God please don't make the protagonist a Cat School witcher.

Viper school :getin:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I think the most important part to remember about the W3 ending is that CDProjekt changed how the White Frost works. In the games, it's some kind of malevolent entity that can be stopped forever.
In the books, it's a kind of ice age that befalls every world eventually and the Wild Hunt want Ciri to teleport their race away from their own world because the ice age is way closer there (hopefully I didn't misremember this).
Also, I think Emhyr wants her in the books because the prophecy states that her son will rule half the world and her grandson the entire world or something dumb like that.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
In the books it's first a poorly defined thing causing a change in solar output, then a poorly defined thing involving axial tilt on a few specific worlds. Also in the conversation where Avallac'h discusses it with Ciri the "teleport them out of it" thing pertains to the humans of Ciri's world, not the Aen Elle. The Aen Elle want Ciri so they can regain their former mode of travel, just like in the games.

I don't really care about them retconning a poorly defined retcon that was never an important part of the book plot anyway.

GrossMurpel posted:

Also, I think Emhyr wants her in the books because the prophecy states that her son will rule half the world and her grandson the entire world or something dumb like that.

Ithlinne's prophecies and several others are actually pretty drat vague, but that's Emhyr's interpretation.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

In the books it's first a poorly defined thing causing a change in solar output, then a poorly defined thing involving axial tilt on a few specific worlds. Also in the conversation where Avallac'h discusses it with Ciri the "teleport them out of it" thing pertains to the humans of Ciri's world, not the Aen Elle. The Aen Elle want Ciri so they can regain their former mode of travel, just like in the games.

I don't really care about them retconning a poorly defined retcon that was never an important part of the book plot anyway.

Ithlinne's prophecies and several others are actually pretty drat vague, but that's Emhyr's interpretation.

The odd bit in the game is how the Wild Hunt are suddenly dropping ice magic all over the show, opening ice portals and poo poo, which implies that they control the White Frost. Then it turns out they're scared of it. And then Ciri (nearly) sacrifices herself to halt entropy or something.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They're scared of the White Frost the way normal people are scared of fire.

They don't control it, they just unleash it by opening doors to it to gently caress with people, since their variety of inter-sphere travel involves moving through the nowhere universe that is the White Frost's origin in the games. This is explained in the thing with Keira, I believe.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
book talk again... holy poo poo Brokilon is pretty cool.

Young Ciri is hilarious.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That's one of my favorite parts of the books. Love kid-Ciri. And yeah Brokilon was nifty. A shame we never get to see it in the games.

I was also shocked my first time reading it at just how good Geralt is with kids.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
CD Projekt released a half-year report with new information, including a sales update for The Witcher 3: https://www.cdprojekt.com/resources/document/okresowe/2Q2015_Summary_of_Consolidated_Reports_of_CDP_SA_eng.pdf

"Over the six-week period following the release of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (i.e. until 30 June 2015), 6 014 576 copies of the game were sold. "

Outside of Bethesda games, this would make it one of the better selling WRPGs in recent memory. In fact, it seems to be outperforming Bioware RPGs going off the sales figures provided by EA. It's very impressive, especially for the short time frame and being a self-published game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

That's one of my favorite parts of the books. Love kid-Ciri. And yeah Brokilon was nifty. A shame we never get to see it in the games.

I was also shocked my first time reading it at just how good Geralt is with kids.

It'd be pretty tricky to do it in the games as anything other than a brief mission setpiece. An area where entering it leads almost immediatly to sudden death doesn't give you a lot to work with. It could definitly be done though, since the war with the dryads extends outside of the forest. I liked that Geralt called them out on killing humans in human territories where the forest has been gone for 100 years and the dryads were just like "what is a hundred years to the forest?"

Geralt is even more of a softy in the books so far than he is in the games. So sensitive. But yeah, his interactions with young Ciri are pretty entertaining.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Sunning posted:

CD Projekt released a half-year report with new information, including a sales update for The Witcher 3: https://www.cdprojekt.com/resources/document/okresowe/2Q2015_Summary_of_Consolidated_Reports_of_CDP_SA_eng.pdf

"Over the six-week period following the release of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (i.e. until 30 June 2015), 6 014 576 copies of the game were sold. "

Outside of Bethesda games, this would make it one of the better selling WRPGs in recent memory. In fact, it seems to be outperforming Bioware RPGs going off the sales figures provided by EA. It's very impressive, especially for the short time frame and being a self-published game.

Word of mouth can still do big things when its a bunch of nerds on the internet telling everyone and their mother how great the game is

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Also it's better. Word of mouth is free. Super bowl ads? Not so much.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Sharmat posted:

Oh, and something I saw pointed out on another forum you guys might find interesting.

Ending SpoilersThe Weavess stealing Vesemir's medallion and escaping is potentially very bad. You see in the Return to Crookbag Bog quest what the Crones can do if they have something of importance to a person, and the Weavess is the one that makes the dolls. If they got a lock of Ciri's hair while they had her in Velen, then...

Sequel hook?
But in the ending where Ciri dies, Geralt tracks the weavess down, kills her and retrieves the medallion. I mean you can still argue that they can make it not the ending that really happened in the sequel but because W3 directly addresses that situation in one of the possible endings it's absolutely not a sequel hook.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

But in the ending where Ciri dies, Geralt tracks the weavess down, kills her and retrieves the medallion. I mean you can still argue that they can make it not the ending that really happened in the sequel but because W3 directly addresses that situation in one of the possible endings it's absolutely not a sequel hook.

If they do an actual sequel I really doubt they'd choose to make the "Ciri dies, Geralt commits suicide by monster, Yen presumably kills herself off screen" ending canon. That ending sequence is practically just a non-standard game over, like Geralt getting killed by Roche, the Flotsam guards, or Iorveth in TW2. The Weavess is a dangling thread for the ending that actually easily allows continuation and something they could take advantage of. Why even include it, otherwise?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Haha, right after leaving Brokilon, Geralt and young Ciri encounter some bandits and Geralt tells her to run. Instead of running away, she climbs a tree, just like the cat in Geralt's story. Then, just like a cat, she has trouble getting down.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Sharmat posted:

If they do an actual sequel I really doubt they'd choose to make the "Ciri dies, Geralt commits suicide by monster, Yen presumably kills herself off screen" ending canon. That ending sequence is practically just a non-standard game over, like Geralt getting killed by Roche, the Flotsam guards, or Iorveth in TW2. The Weavess is a dangling thread for the ending that actually easily allows continuation and something they could take advantage of. Why even include it, otherwise?
I would agree with you if it just wasn't resolved and left open-ended because why leave one of the witches alive otherwise (other than still use her in one of the expansions I guess). But it is resolved in one of the endings even if it's a lovely ending that would never be considered a 'true' one.

However the biggest argument against that is that you heavily downplay this ending's meaning as there's a big overarching mechanic in the game that checks your choices when Geralt interacts with Ciri and chooses one option over the other depending on your decisions - that's a pretty big deal with its own cutscene montage at the end of the game and the system wouldn't be in place if the 'bad' ending wasn't supposed to be seen ever. It's not like this is some crazy dog ending from Silent Hill that you have to hunt for and do crazy stuff to get. That's why it's also not camparable to those deaths in TW2 because they were game over states in the middle of the game and not legitimate game resolving endings like the one in TW3. I mean sure you can theorise how this could start the next game, why not? But sequel hooks are scenes that aren't addressed by the particular work and left open-ended and this is something different.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Palpek posted:

I would agree with you if it just wasn't resolved and left open-ended because why leave one of the witches alive otherwise (other than still use her in one of the expansions I guess). But it is resolved in one of the endings even if it's a lovely ending that would never be considered a 'true' one.

However the biggest argument against that is that you heavily downplay this ending's meaning as there's a big overarching mechanic in the game that checks your choices when Geralt interacts with Ciri and chooses one option over the other depending on your decisions - that's a pretty big deal with its own cutscene montage at the end of the game and the system wouldn't be in place if the 'bad' ending wasn't supposed to be seen ever. It's not like this is some crazy dog ending from Silent Hill that you have to hunt for and do crazy stuff to get. That's why it's also not camparable to those deaths in TW2 because they were game over states in the middle of the game and not legitimate game resolving endings like the one in TW3. I mean sure you can theorise how this could start the next game, why not? But sequel hooks are scenes that aren't addressed by the particular work and left open-ended and this is something different.

Re: "bad" ending,

What's to say Geralt and/or Witcher Ciri don't go kill the third crone in the "good" endings too? I don't think killing the crone is the important part of that ending, but rather showing us how Geralt is consumed with grief and anger to the point of committing suicide by monster horde.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I still don't get how anyone can get that ending by accident.

Edit: Also It's still a sequel hook in those other endings because the amulet is worthless to the Weavess if Ciri is dead. The point isn't her having Vesemir's amulet, it's what she could potentially do with it.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 26, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
We all know what it really means: Zombie Vesemir.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You mean skellington Vesemir. They burned him. So no fleshy bits.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

You mean skellington Vesemir. They burned him. So no fleshy bits.

I assumed that, through magic, it wouldn't even be composed of his actual remains, but rather conjured in his image, manifest by dark bog magic. Like he would be made from the flesh of orphans or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Ciri is the built in new protagonist that takes over for Geralt