Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I just beat Beginner! Great game and I'm looking forward to Experienced. The levels moving forward 1 sounds like the hardest jump, I usually have one eye on the exit by level 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I feel like I'm walking into a trap here.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

John Dough posted:

I feel like I'm walking into a trap here.

Sometimes the teleport operator is just on point.

I'm up to Endless Plus, and holy Jesus it's almost like a different game. After a few false starts it doesn't feel as impossible as it did at first. It's giving me plenty of practice with my favorite part of the game, too:

Threading the needle with angry guards. Got them both got out without being spotted or KO'ing anyone.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fangz posted:

If I am carrying a dude and standing on top of a dude, does that mean I am pinning two enemies with the same guy?
Yes, and that's how I beat OMNI on Experienced.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 16, 2015

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh!! So guards that are carried, don't get a k.o. decrease? Cool!

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Guards that are dead don't either :smugdog:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Standing on a guard (pinning them) means you can't KO another guard right next to you. I found this out the hard way.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm listening to the soundtrack on YouTube right now. Please sell it to me so I can make a proper playlist for work :)

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Shumagorath posted:

I'm listening to the soundtrack on YouTube right now. Please sell it to me so I can make a proper playlist for work :)

Me all last week.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Thirded. I found a pretty good one that put all the different alarm levels for each corp in sequence, and it's really cool to hear how they ramp up. There are subtle klaxons that come in around alarm level 5 that I never noticed while I was playing. :3:

And speaking of :3: sometimes I just want to put the Shopcat theme on loop for like three hours.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Shumagorath posted:

Please, my Dragonfall music is all lonely.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I finally finished Expert Plus. I think this was the smallest OMNI map I've ever seen, but I basically had to do the whole thing and the first two rooms were stuffed full of Harbingers and the Armor 3 guys. Overall way more tense than Expert, but not as much of a pressure cooker as Time Attack. A few observations:

- Archive Banks is ridiculous. I still think Xu is the best overall agent, but being able to start with an Econ Chip gets you so much money it feels like cheating. I ran her with Archive Internationale but honestly you could rank up Hacking on Banks herself and go just as nuts.

- The two new starter programs are fantastic. Dynamo feels tailor-made for Expert Plus, since you're going to be doing all the real work past alarm level 2 anyway. And Mercenary is a crazy good value to start with. Every alarm level you get 2 firewalls for free, then 2 for 2 PWR which is about as good as active hacking gets, and taken as a whole it's still a better value than Lockpick v1.0 all the way up to 8 PWR cost.

I actually beat Expert Plus with just Dynamo, Mercenary, a Buster Chip I, and an Oracle I got on the very last mission before OMNI because not a single server farm showed up for me. There aren't many other starting combinations I could do that with, I think.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is the DLC on GOG yet? Mine never updated through Galaxy.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I'm still enjoying the game just as much since the update, but the new programs really got me thinking. They've diluted the program pool quite a bit, making it harder to get specific useful ones and sticking you with really gimmicky ones much more often. If that was the intent, I can't complain because previously one good server farm or even a lucky secondary terminal could set you up for the whole run. But it does make me nervous about adding more content to the campaigns because they feel so finely-balanced already. I've thought a lot about what I'd like to see added to the game, so I hope nobody minds me vomiting up a bunch of ideas.

Game Modes
The main thing I want are more game modes, since they take the existing balance and stretch it into different challenges.
- Weekly campaigns: Games like Spelunky and Ziggurat get a lot of mileage out of daily runs that are the same for everyone and rank players on a leaderboard. Since campaigns can take awhile to get through, a weekly one would probably be best, ranking players by a combination of net worth and XP earned if you finish it.
- Daily missions: For a true daily option, I’d like to see daily missions with preset agents and programs. You could rank players by highest net worth in fewest turns or moves.
- Endless Facility: I’d love a mode that’s even more focused on making do with whatever you find, so one without a mission map would be pretty cool. Start like you do in the tutorial with one agent with a disruptor, and do your best from there. This could be structured either like an endless series of missions, but what I’d REALLY like to see is one giant ever-expanding map that gets more difficult as you get further from the center, a truly endless facility. You would have to make new item pickups to boost skill points (like PRAXIS Kits from Deus Ex or something) or a new terminal that gives you access to the skill buy menu.

Mission Variations
After 40 hours of campaigns, there’s not a lot new to see in the different missions. Having some new variations of the same missions would help a lot.

Civilian missions: Every mission is currently set in a heavily locked-down facility. I’d like to see missions that are more open and have less security, but also have civilians to deal with. What I’m imagining are units that have longer or less predictable paths, put guards on notice when they notice something, and put multiple guards on alert if they are fully alerted. Civilian missions would be less about thwarting security and more about maneuvering around civilians and interacting with new objectives. Two examples I thought of:
- Secure Hospital (Alt Detention Center): Your MIA agent is being treated at a corporate hospital, structured more as long hallways with many little patient rooms off of them than normal missions. There are a few guards and several nurses making rounds through the rooms. To get into your agent’s room, you either have to shadow a nurse when she checks on them or get to the console in the high-traffic nurse’s station.
- Street Bazaar (Alt Nanofab/Server Farm): A black market contact agrees to meet your agents at a public bazaar. You can either speak to stall vendors to find out where he is or hack a network hub in a security office to trace his location. Not may guards, but the civilians at the marketplace will call out any shady activity.

OMNI missions: We don’t ever find out anything about OMNI, since they’re presumably wiped out at the end of the mission we meet them. It might be cool to have rare OMNI variations of regular missions that are 2 or three security levels higher than regular, but have much better rewards like a discounted nanofab vestibule or 3 or 4 cybernetic grafters instead of 2. You could even give special rewards, like marking the security or server rooms in the final level for completing an early OMNI variant. It would be a good chance to give more options in campaigns, get more background on OMNI through dialogue, and make more use of the totally sweet OMNI tileset.

New Missions and Items
I know I said I’m nervous about adding more stuff to the campaigns, but there are a few things that I would like to see if they could be balanced to fit. Currently the only way to get skill points is to buy them, so unless I have a very specific need (usually because of items) I wait until the very end to boost skills so I don’t miss the chance to pick up useful gear. A mission that gives some free skill points would be pretty useful, since you’d still be finding money and gear on the mission, and might actually put the rank 5 skills within reach during a normal game. I also think it’s strange that there are no items tied to Strength, making it feel more like a tax on having too many items than a useful stat. Here are a few I thought of, though I certainly can’t attest to how balanced they’d be:
- Plasma Knuckles: Basically a melee Flurry Gun, one use per map
- Crush Spike: A melee attack that permanently breaks mainframe devices, causes noise and alarm level, higher ranks reduce drawbacks
- Sound Bomb: A reusable, throwable Ping that goes further and has a wider area of effect at higher ranks
- Foot Pads - Makes the first 4/6/8 tiles you sprint silent, depending on rank
I also have to say that I’m REALLY enjoying Archive Prism and the new starter programs. New starting options will always be welcome, especially if they offer completely new play styles like these do.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shumagorath posted:

Is the DLC on GOG yet? Mine never updated through Galaxy.

It's not in my library. I've sent in a support request six days ago and haven't heard anything since :shrug:

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
I had a great Expert+ run with lethal weapons just now. Archive Decker with two Flurry Guns, Anatomy Analysis, Stim III and +1 piercing augment along with Shalem carrying the six-shooter completely depopulated the final stage with the aid of Xu's EMP. Also honorable mention to Archive Internationale with the Accelerator III chip.

6 Omni corpses and a broken camera drone by the time I explored the whole map and found the important terminals :toot:

The final state of the level after some downed reinforcements and the purchase of a handgun.

From all the murdering I learned that Omni Harbingers' souped-up heartrate monitors are weird concerning the alarm tracker going up from kills. EMP prevents the tracker going up but Anatomy Analysis does not, despite the augment description saying (paraphrased) "kills do not increase the alarm tracker".

Connoisseur fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 19, 2015

Citizen Psmith
Jul 18, 2009

Village Idiot

John Dough posted:

It's not in my library. I've sent in a support request six days ago and haven't heard anything since :shrug:

It's shown up tonight. I hope that a fortnight's lag between updates hitting Steam and reaching GOG isn't going to be a regular thing, and this was just a one-off problem.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, I've got the update now.

I've also installed Predictive Brawling on Nika for a total +9 AP after a melee attack :getin:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Are there any expert+ runs archived on twitch or youtube that someone can recommend? Lemon's are gone and I'm trying to learn how to thread the needle with guards when it all goes to poo poo because my own expert+ runs are not going well.

I looked myself and I found a few but they are heavy on the pointless narration and light on the actual decisions they are making, or they are worse than I am at the game :/

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 23, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
If anything I can start streaming again. I imagine I'll actually be really rusty now though, since I haven't played in a while. I was planning on it once the new content dropped. I should've saved the runs!

Make sure you know the guards' paths whether through observation or the tracking program. You can stand to a guard's immediate side at the end of their patrol, but not if they're going to turn into you. Being one step away from cover helps if you're unsure how things will pan out. Sometimes it's actually beneficial to get spotted (especially as archive decker), so you can pile the bodies in a central location (or because the patrol is kinda inconvenient).

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
When I tuned in you were breaking the game with L3 shock traps and invis cloaks and such. I have a hard time when you are starting out and don't have many tools.

I keep running xu and internationale for the camera spotting and free safes, and keep splitting up initally. Xu always seems to go in the direction all the safes aren't. I just died to a run on the 2nd map because I didn't realize you couldn't stun a guard that had his gun drawn on you point blank. Is that new?

:negative:

e: Also, not having the stat requirements for items listed on mouseover from monster is a real kick in the teeth. I guess it's kind of cheating to just alt-f4 and reload the game before i bought it, but that kind of thing really should be listed. That also goes for auto-opening the stat page to spend your credits before monster pops up to sell you things after the first mission. I had expected things like this to be addressed in the patch!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 23, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Not being able to stun a guard in melee range that has sight on you is part of Expert+ (and expert?) It's why I say that you might as well just go straight into expert instead of experienced because it's a completely different game.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Connoisseur posted:

From all the murdering I learned that Omni Harbingers' souped-up heartrate monitors are weird concerning the alarm tracker going up from kills. EMP prevents the tracker going up but Anatomy Analysis does not, despite the augment description saying (paraphrased) "kills do not increase the alarm tracker".
I think two separate alarm jumps happen - one for the kill and one for the monitor...?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Not being able to stun a guard in melee range that has sight on you is part of Expert+ (and expert?) It's why I say that you might as well just go straight into expert instead of experienced because it's a completely different game.

This definitely doesn't happen until Expert+, and is the main reason I have so much trouble making the jump from Expert to Expert+. That, and the bit where even knocking guards unconscious ups the alarm level. Those two bits are my bane and the main reason I'm just gonna keep playing Expert with some modifications.

Connoisseur posted:

I am 99% sure Anatomy Analysis is bugged on Expert+, because I've never had it work on that difficulty. Something about the improved heart monitors makes the augment not do its job right.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

gnome7 posted:

That, and the bit where even knocking guards unconscious ups the alarm level.

Dead guards don't wake up :twisted:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
dead guards are expensive in both cleanup costs and charge packs :/

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Expert+ only by default. There's a setting for it. gnome7 why not take the Expert+ settings and turn that one off?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Shumagorath posted:

Expert+ only by default. There's a setting for it. gnome7 why not take the Expert+ settings and turn that one off?

Because then it's custom and doesn't count for the achievements anyway, so I might as well modify whatever the heck I want at that point. I have more fun just playing Expert mode.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Another one of the benefits of buying on GOG: Not playing for achievements.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

gnome7 posted:

I am 99% sure Anatomy Analysis is bugged on Expert+, because I've never had it work on that difficulty. Something about the improved heart monitors makes the augment not do its job right.

Anatomy Analysis Decker dispatched Omni +3 armor dudes and forcefield guys with regular Expert+ heart monitors without any alarm issues. I'm fairly sure Harbingers are the only exception where Anatomy Analysis does not work, what with their special "+2 alarm on KO, +4 alarm on kill" heart monitors. Bear in mind that Anatomy Analysis consumes 3 power each kill (7 power total with a Flurry Gun) and won't activate if there's not enough power in reserve.

protomexican
May 1, 2009

Bhodi posted:

Are there any expert+ runs archived on twitch or youtube that someone can recommend? Lemon's are gone and I'm trying to learn how to thread the needle with guards when it all goes to poo poo because my own expert+ runs are not going well.

I looked myself and I found a few but they are heavy on the pointless narration and light on the actual decisions they are making, or they are worse than I am at the game :/

This guy's videos are what got me through Expert Plus. In E+, the game becomes much more about distracting guards with sound and peripheral vision, because there's too many guards to avoid their patrols completely.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Oh for gently caress's sake. I just ran around a level for around 40 minutes until I realized that no elevator spawned.

I'm not going blind or anything. It's not there, right?

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
There's an unexplored tile in the top middle room (right next to the four-tile row of cover along the wall). Odds are the the door to the elevator room is there.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

HundredBears posted:

There's an unexplored tile in the top middle room (right next to the four-tile row of cover along the wall). Odds are the the door to the elevator room is there.

:suicide: yep!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Oh hey my Nika's two-aug +9 AP bonus also works when KO-ing a guard who is already knocked out :haw:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Holy poo poo, you guys.

Endless Plus, early on Day 3, FTM Vault. I bought a card off of Monst3r and I was determined to make good use of it. Archive Prism (unarmed), Archive Sharp (Disruptor and full Hand Cannon), rescued Decker (Flurry Gun). The vault terminal and generator were both loaded with Authority daemons, so as soon as I started cracking lockboxes the alarm level shot straight to 6.

I killed the two guards watching the vault, so my flurry was out and Sharp had two rounds left (with no armor penetration!). Two guards were coming to check on the vault, one armored. Disguised Prism scouted ahead with Decker close behind, but my Sharp only had 7 AP.

Had to shoot the unarmored guard to get Sharp out, but he managed to juke the Elite. The room with all the guards there below us was the starting room. Four guards, including an Elite and a Protector. For some reason, they all wanted to check that hallway. I got Decker behind the coffee table, and on the next turn had him move to the lower right wall behind cover and sent Sharp sprinting to where Decker was before. The sound alerted all the guards, but drew them to the open door, not the coffee table.

One armored guard left.

I considered shadowing him. Even if he caught me, Sharp had a Flash Grenade he nicked from a dead vault guard.

Instead, moving Sharp through the door drew him away from the elevator. Just had to get Sharp and Decker out of the way.

Voila! All the way from vault to exit at alarm level 6.

Sorry, make that alarm level forty-seven. :clint:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Garbed this incredible game a few weeks back and just passed day 10 endless. Wisp, failing that a TAG gun plus shock Trap 3 (I have 6 of them) and Cloak 3 will get you out of just about anything. Throw in some Volt 3s', EMPs for other work (drat you magnetic containment), some bio darts, pretty unstoppable. Wish I had Nika and some lethal weapons because sometimes, you just want to cut loose for some stress relieve.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

oohhboy posted:

Wish I had Nika and some lethal weapons because sometimes, you just want to cut loose for some stress relieve.

I'd love a Comedy Option agent who was just a big hulking dude with a giant gently caress-off minigun.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Gyshall posted:

I'd love a Comedy Option agent who was just a big hulking dude with a giant gently caress-off minigun.

That would be rad. Also makes me think that some kind of bonus survival mode where you have fully-armed soldiers and mow down security in waves would be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress, had such a close run on Expert plus. I hosed it up with one move, just one. Got greedy with Monster thinking I could run him pass an Armour 3 guard just steps away from the final mainframe. On more turn and his gun would have finished cooldown too. If I had just ghosted him a little longer. Was threading the needle with a laser intentional getting detected to move heat away from Monster. Had Nika with dual Flurry guns until the final mission where I found a piercing scanner, but no space on Nika to install it. Had Nika murder some dudes just to create a bloody distraction. Quip time.

Arrgh! Reversed the captions on the screenshots to rub salt into the wound.

Zombie Samurai posted:

That would be rad. Also makes me think that some kind of bonus survival mode where you have fully-armed soldiers and mow down security in waves would be fun.
Not sure how it would work, but dropping corpses all over the place would be fun.

• Locked thread