Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014
This game continues to blow me away with its gorgeousness.

The Hildibrand quests are great. Just got done with the crossdress wedding. Heh. I really need to get back to the story to get into the HW content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

bonewitch posted:

*tether_pass.gif*

I'm going to have nightmares about that

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I want the thing that your character does when you learn an ability in HW as an emote. Especially if your job symbol flashes in the background.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Fister Roboto posted:

I want the thing that your character does when you learn an ability in HW as an emote. Especially if your job symbol flashes in the background.

My character is so short the ability icon always appeared right over her face. :(

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

WobblySausage posted:

The Hildibrand quests are great. Just got done with the crossdress wedding. Heh. I really need to get back to the story to get into the HW content.

There are some people who find the early Hildibrand stuff like the cross-dress wedding dull, and maybe they aren't as memorable as the Godbert moments, but I still enjoyed them pretty much all the way through.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Same, the entire Hildy storyline was fun, even when the guest stars aren't around.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't like the costa arc all that much, but other than that it was great.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SirPhoebos posted:

Is it ever appropriate for a Tank or Healer to use the LB? I'm curious to see what one looks like but I can't think of a situation where it would be more beneficial than putting out more damage.

When I was working on the WHM relic, I ended up being the last one alive in Titan HM and used LB3 to save the run. Then the same thing happened when I did the SCH relic.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Same but with Ravana. Fairy limit break is really pretty but moments like this makes me wish I was an AST because drat thats the prettiest.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In a random titan HM I got in a roulette, I got to use healer LB3 twice..

... with no wipes in between.

Eventually me and the PLD killed it. Took way too long, though, with everyone else dying moments after getting raised. Some people are somehow worse than me at this game.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

There are some people who find the early Hildibrand stuff like the cross-dress wedding dull, and maybe they aren't as memorable as the Godbert moments, but I still enjoyed them pretty much all the way through.

it started to get a little tedious before people showed up to play straight man

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
I wish the healer LB3 provided a second or two of invulnerability to the people it raised. I feel like every time I get a chance to use it now by the time the animation is done and the raises occur everyone is standing in some 75% health bar damage puddle about to go off.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember being a healer in a trial duty roulette for Ravana and 6 people were dead and I dropped the LB3 heal, and felt like a badass doing it.

... We still wiped anyways :smithicide:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Healer lb3 provides the same amount of invulnerability as resurrection, in my experience, so the people dying in 75% health death puddles are the same people who would die anyway, because they can't move.

The issue is in my experience more that the healer often dies because the animation is needlessly long, and the user does not get invulnerability, and will get targeted by something when that many people are dead. :v:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I wish healer LB3 didn't give res sickness.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

Magil Zeal posted:

I guess weirdly this has been my favorite part so far. At first I was thinking the slapstick type stuff wasn't going to be very entertaining, but my mind has been changed. Even the Greg 8 player trial was funny.

Anyone ever have luck taking out Titan Extreme with the duty finder? Pubbies really seem to struggle with it. I thought Garuda extreme was more difficult personally.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
When they were new content I had more trouble with garuda ex as a dragoon than I ever did with titan. By the time everyone was 110-130, garuda ex became about a 3 minute fight. Titan has always required that people dodge, and people typically aren't good at that.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

When they were new content I had more trouble with garuda ex as a dragoon than I ever did with titan. By the time everyone was 110-130, garuda ex became about a 3 minute fight. Titan has always required that people dodge, and people typically aren't good at that.

Ah makes sense. Garuda seemed to be hardest for the tanks. I'm probably done with Titan for a little bit (at least 3 hours on it with no clear yet). I'll have to try to get into a premade sometime in the future to get it done.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Christ, Excalibur is absurdly full. I've basically been camping for a chance to get in for two days now. Is there a good time? I even tried at balls-o-clock in the morning. Still nothing. :shepicide:

Should I just stop wasting my free trial and get in on a different server?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Christ, Excalibur is absurdly full. I've basically been camping for a chance to get in for two days now. Is there a good time? I even tried at balls-o-clock in the morning. Still nothing. :shepicide:

Either A) Wait for before or after server maintenance to make a character or B) Start playing on another server then pay the $ to transfer.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Poison Mushroom posted:

Play on a different server. There's no particular benefit to playing the trial on Excalibur anyway since you can't really get in touch with anyone else who plays there.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Cactuar is an option. High pop but not as crazy as getting on Excalibur.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Truga posted:

Healer lb3 provides the same amount of invulnerability as resurrection, in my experience, so the people dying in 75% health death puddles are the same people who would die anyway, because they can't move.

The issue is in my experience more that the healer often dies because the animation is needlessly long, and the user does not get invulnerability, and will get targeted by something when that many people are dead. :v:

Fun fact: if you run into the deathwall in T5/T9/T13 and die, then get resurrected via healer LB3, you just instantly die again. Guess how I found that out!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ok, bought the game, got on Excalibur (signed up right after the planned maintenance), joined PBC, some kind goon gave me level-appropriate gear. So far I'm a level 13 Pugilist with a side job as a level 7 Weaver. Does this plan suck, should I start branching out more, any words of wisdom?

Also when do I get access to dungeons?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Prop Wash posted:

Ok, bought the game, got on Excalibur (signed up right after the planned maintenance), joined PBC, some kind goon gave me level-appropriate gear. So far I'm a level 13 Pugilist with a side job as a level 7 Weaver. Does this plan suck, should I start branching out more, any words of wisdom?

Don't craft. If you must craft, do all the crafts and then spend more time on them at level 60 than you spend on your combat class.

First dungeon is in the level 15 section of the story.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

From what I can tell (Like level 26 myself) - Don't worry about branching out too much till later (like 30ish.) You unlock a lot of nice things (like Chocobos) by doing your story quests and trying to level other classes right now will slow that down. Also, you get an xp bonus to low level classes if you have a high level class. The first dungeons show up around 15-20 and are part of your story quests so you can't miss them. But there also seems to be some later on that are missable?

E: So what is the deal with the crafting (and gathering) jobs? Why would you want to do them all as opposed to just the ones good for whatever you plan on focusing on? Are they just a huge timesink with not much payoff?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 26, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing (crafting is a side thing fwiw). You'll need Lancer at 15 by the time you hit 30 and become a Monk, so if you get bored and want to do something else Lancer leveling is a good choice. You may find it useful to get Conjurer to level 2 so you can cross class Cure, but it's hardly necessary. Just nice sometimes when you want to cut down on downtime.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Oxyclean posted:

E: So what is the deal with the crafting (and gathering) jobs? Why would you want to do them all as opposed to just the ones good for whatever you plan on focusing on? Are they just a huge timesink with not much payoff?

They are all interdependent on each other. If you want to make something from start to finish, you basically need every crafting and gathering job (except probably fishing and culinarian) at relatively equal levels.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Kibner posted:

They are all interdependent on each other. If you want to make something from start to finish, you basically need every crafting and gathering job (except probably fishing and culinarian) at relatively equal levels.

This is not true. There's a great deal of LTW / WVR / ARM / GSM gear you can happily make while leveling without needing all the cross classes. It's just that if you want to be HQing gearsets you need the all 15 / hasty touch / careful synth 2 world.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Mostly because there's a huge amount of interdependence between every crafting trade. Not just from materials, but from the cross-class abilities they provide. Also, a combat class's equipment doesn't all fall under the same category. For example, if you wanted to play a tank class, you'd get most of your gear from armorcrafting. But some tank gear isn't made by armorcrafters. Tank pants in particular are almost all cloth or leather. There are some tiers of gear that aren't made by armorcrafters at all.

Basically the way that crafting is set up is based entirely on the ability to be every class.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

But there also seems to be some later on that are missable?

The following dungeons don't unlock normally during the story:

Halatali (20-23)
The Sunken Temple of Qarn (35-37)
Cutter's Cry (38-40)
Dzmael Darkhold (44-46)
The Aurum Vale (47-49)

Of those, Halatali has grand company hunting log targets and will singlehandely give you more than half of those 2k seals you need for a chocobo, so it's not worth skipping, Qarn is required as part of one of the 2.1+ patch stories but it's great XP at that level so you should do it anyway, Cutter's Cry is way better xp and you'll start to hate Qarn if you do it too much so I don't recommend skipping that at all, I THINK it makes you do Dzmael Darkhold as part of the story you just don't unlock it through the story, and xping 47-50 loving sucks but Aurum Vale is one of the faster ways to get through it and also having a hilarious time watching people gently caress up on coincounter.

There's a dungeon for every level range and they're all worth doing at least once while current as you'll get at least a level's worth of XP out of them if your level is not synced down.

I also recommend chainrunning Brayflox and getting as much of the Battlemage/Calvary/Infantry set (as applicable) as possible, as this gear looks fly as h*ck and will last you until you get your job gear at 45.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The interdependencies, you can get around to varying degrees depending on your willingness to sacrifice profit margin in the name of time. (Read: buy ingredients that you can't or won't get/make, from other people on the market board.)

However, for crafting in particular (and to a very minor degree for gathering), there are also cross-class abilities to consider. For example, CUL at 15 gets you Hasty Touch, which lets you raise quality without spending any CP to do so. The down side is that it has a lovely baseline success rate, but with Steady Hand (or Steady Hand 2, which comes from CUL at 37 - you see how this is going) it's not unreasonable. Similarly ALC at 15 gets you Tricks of the Trade, which lets you sacrifice a Good/Excellent condition to refill 20 CP. Between the two you can, if RNG cooperates, draw out your crafts much longer than otherwise. And that's just two examples.

Once you get CUL to 15, you basically have Hasty Touch access on any craft, and so on. The innate crafting abilities that every craft gets will be plenty serviceable enough, but a full selection of cross-class abilities will make things that much better. Some of these are more important than others, and some are useful in pretty much every drat thing (e.g. Careful Synthesis 2, Steady Hand 2) while others are only useful in select circumstances (e.g. Piece by Piece, Rapid Synthesis).

So between cross-class and simple material interdependency, it's less "leveling a craft" and more "leveling the crafts".

CUL, notably, is a big exception on the interdependency front. It's pretty independent of the other crafters, material-wise.

Vil fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 26, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Prop Wash posted:

Learn fishing, never stop fishing. gently caress combat classes, fish more.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Learn fishing, never stop fishing. gently caress combat classes, fish more.

Do this

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
So the benchmark has an easter egg if you run the HW Benchmark on August 27th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfNfHdV4UoY

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

ps am no frog posted:

So the benchmark has an easter egg if you run the HW Benchmark on August 27th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfNfHdV4UoY

Could you link the specific time of this easter egg?

ed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfNfHdV4UoY&t=479s

nuru fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 26, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's not just the end. It's any time you'd see the Dragoon, there it is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Whats the significance of the date?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
A Realm Reborn launched 8/27/2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kongurous
May 22, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Whats the significance of the date?